A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
hamhambone

hamhambone

[Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet Empty
PostSubject: [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet   [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet EmptyFri Oct 02, 2020 4:24 pm

The mysterious planet Pluto – a world of science, magic, strange beasts and stranger civilizations - sits at the edge of the solar system.

The Evil Sorcerer-Scientist Malloc, from his impregnable Dome of Darkness hidden on the planet, has developed a new plan that threatens all of civilized space. It is the mission of our heroes to prevent this calamity from coming to pass!

In the last episode, our heroes had been captured by a tribe of ferocious Mantis-Monkeys! Who are the Mantis Monkeys working for? Where are our heroes being taken? Will they be able to escape in time to prevent Malloc’s Plan? How will they pierce the invincible Darkness Generators of the dome? And what horrors await them inside?! Stay tuned to find out, in... THE ADVENTURES ON DUNGEON PLANET!

----------

Dungeon World is a narrative-focused adventure game. To this, I'm adding Dungeon Planet playbooks and races (so you can be a Killer Robot or an Alien Wizard or a Android Bard etc., alongside the standard dwarf clerics and halfling thieves) In terms of tone, I'm looking for a pulpy, retro-futuristic, weird-fantasy or science-fantasy vibe - Touchstones might be: Lost In Space, John-Carter of Mars, Guardians of the Galaxy, A wrinkle in time, all mashed together with standard fantasy tropes.

One of the features of dungeon world is that it encourages the players and the GM to build the game setting together. As such, I don't have much of a setting/plot beyond the little blurb I have above - we'll build the setting and situation together!

Here are the dungeon world rules https://book.dwgazetteer.com/
Here are the dungeon planet playbooks and races: https://redboxvancouver.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/dungeon_planet_sheets.pdf

----------

House Rules:

Damage Dice - Instead of d4, d8, d10 etc, damage is d6 plus or minus how many 'steps' away from d6 the damage dice is (so d4,d6,d8,d10,d12 becomes d6-1, d6, d6+1, d6+2, d6+3) This is to make the damage done a little less 'swingy' and to mitigate slightly the situations where the Fighter rolls a 10+ on Hack and Slash and then rolls a 1 for damage.

Defend - the Defend option for dealing damage is replaced by the following: deal damage to an attacker by rolling your damage twice and taking the lowest result. (the original text has the damage scale by level, which is super odd in a game where really nothing else scales by level like that)

----------

edit: I lean pretty hard into the science-fantasy angle in this post, if people are more interested in traditional fantasy instead, I'd totally be down for that.

Last edited by hamhambone on Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
moarhair

moarhair

[Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet   [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet EmptyFri Oct 09, 2020 9:04 am

I'm interested.

I thought I was going to be stretched too thin, but I seem to still have plenty of free time.

The Mutant looks pretty cool, so I'm leaning towards that playbook.
Back to top Go down
hamhambone

hamhambone

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet   [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet EmptySat Oct 10, 2020 10:05 am

Cool! Sorry for my late reply. We'll have to see if we have anyone else interested, hopefully two more (I thing three players is the sweet spot for Dungeon World) I might have someone interested externally, so I'll have to see how that pans out.
Back to top Go down
moarhair

moarhair

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet   [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet EmptySat Oct 10, 2020 10:20 am

In my experience, if you post about it on Reddit, you'll be swarmed by interested folks
Back to top Go down
Another AKA

Another AKA

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet   [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 8:24 am

Dungeon World & pulp? Count me in(terested)!
Back to top Go down
hamhambone

hamhambone

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet   [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 5:39 pm

Awesome!

So that makes 3 (if we include my external player, who is interested in playing)

Another AKA, it will be a week or two until my external player is ready to play, is that OK with you?
Back to top Go down
Another AKA

Another AKA

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet   [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 7:59 pm

Of course! No pressure in my end timewise
Back to top Go down
hamhambone

hamhambone

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet   [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet EmptyMon Oct 19, 2020 8:14 pm

Hey Another AKA, do you have a class that you are leaning toward? Note that playbooks can't be duplicated between players, and that the Dungeon Planet playbooks have correspondences with the original Dungeon World Playbooks, so

Fighter <-> Engine of Destruction
Cleric <-> Technician
Paladin <-> Earthling
Druid <-> Mutant

So if moarhair still wants to be the mutant, the druid would also be barred from play, since there is significant overlap between those two classes. (vice versa would also be true)
Back to top Go down
Another AKA

Another AKA

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet   [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet EmptyMon Oct 19, 2020 9:31 pm

Yes - Technician really speaks to me
Back to top Go down
hamhambone

hamhambone

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet   [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet EmptyTue Oct 20, 2020 3:01 pm

Nice, so we've got a Technician and a Mutant so far
Back to top Go down
hamhambone

hamhambone

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet   [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi, both of you, I think that I probably won't be able to run this game right now. I can barely keep up with the game that I'm playing in and I don't want to have this game be a disappointment due to my inability to keep the game going smoothly.

I apologize for keeping both of you waiting for so long, only to pull the rug out from under you.
Back to top Go down
Another AKA

Another AKA

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet   [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 2:06 pm

Thank you for the heads up and no worries!
It is really great that you thought it through and made a decision that felt right for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet   [Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet Empty

Back to top Go down

[Closed] Dungeon World, looking for 2-4 players - Adventures on Dungeon Planet
Page 1 of 1