A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[Closed] - Gritty Infantry Playtest [Savage Worlds] 4-7 Players

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Inquisition6

Inquisition6

[Closed] - Gritty Infantry Playtest [Savage Worlds] 4-7 Players Empty
PostSubject: [Closed] - Gritty Infantry Playtest [Savage Worlds] 4-7 Players   [Closed] - Gritty Infantry Playtest [Savage Worlds] 4-7 Players EmptyWed May 05, 2021 8:56 am

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

For the last couple of years I have been writing a setting for Savage Worlds I am aiming to get published, and I would like to get in another round of playtesting from a different group that may or may not have some experience with the system.

So first off, what's the setting? For this you'll be modern Russian Motorized Infantry, doing Army stuff. You'll play an infantry section that is trying to survive in a modern combat setting, teamwork will be essential as Savage Worlds (with optional rules) is very lethal. You can expect a variety of mission types and complications to otherwise straightforward situations. Expect daring night time raids on enemy camps and weathering enemy heavy weapons fire in desperate defensive actions. Doing tense patrols or providing security for humanitarian operations. You, as an infantry section will have access to standard Russian military equipment, such as personal protective equipment and weapons, and an armored vehicle, manned by NPCs controlled by the section commander. It should be a different experience from what you usually see for mainline RPG settings and groups.

The system, Savage Worlds, is touted as "fast, furious, and fun" by its designers. It was originally a table top wargame system that turned into a full roleplaying game. Combat is meant to be fast. There are no classes. There are no hit points (just wound levels). I've been playing it for 11 years, and it's an easy to grasp system but is a lot different from d20 or the FFG WHRP games. I'll be happy to provide the core book for playtesters for the purpose of the playtest.

Timing and tempo, I cannot and will not promise daily updates due to my daily work schedule. But you can expect 4-5, +/-1 update per week. I'll have a discord for the game and to make questions and comments quick as can be.

Lastly, why? This setting is not intended to glorify war. It is not intended to praise Russia above anyone else, though it should dispel some misconceptions of Russia we get in the West. It is to discourage a Cold War mentality in people and to give maybe an idea of how scary being a soldier might be. Its a setting and a statement, but for it to have the most impact, it needs to be polished, that's why I'm doing my best to make sure the experience works. It is entirely possible your super-tough Sergeant gets killed on turn one from a pistol shot from an NPC. It is supposed to be terrifying for someone who's taking the experience seriously. And a lot of the people I've played with here in years past are good at taking an experience (and their characters) seriously.

Anyone participating will have the option to be credited as a playtester when it gets put out at "somepoint" in the future. Time tables for this have been wonky with the pandemic.

---

As a preview of sorts, here are the roles that will be available for players. All unfilled roles will be NPCs.

Section Commander: Leads the section and acts as the vehicle commander when mounted (if higher authority is not present). Dismounts with troops and carries an AK-74M assault rifle.

Senior Rifleman: Most senior member of the section after the Commander. Along with the Rifleman, used as a maneuver group as the rest of the section supports by fire. Issued an AK-74M assault rifle with a GP-34 40mm grenade launcher.

Rifleman: Follows the Senior Rifleman but is also trained in combat medicine, renders first aid until a medic gets there. Issued an AK-74M assault rifle and GP-34 40mm grenade launcher.

Grenadier: Section's solution to light/medium armored vehicles and enemy personnel beyond 40mm grenade range. Issued an AK-74M assault rifle and RPG-7V2 launcher.

Machine Gunner: Section's base of fire, carries a belt-fed machine gun. Issued a PKP machine gun.

Assistant Grenadier: Carries extra RPG-7 ammunition and if needed, takes the RPG if the grenadier is incapable. Issued an AK-74M assault rifle and RPG-7 rockets.

Assistant Machine Gunner: Carries extra PKP ammunition, and will also take the PKP is the gunner goes down. Issued an AK- 74M assault rifle and PKP ammunition.

The section will also be transported and supported by a BMP-2D IFV and two vehicle crew. This asset is under control of the Section Commander.

Last edited by Inquisition6 on Tue May 11, 2021 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://discord.gg/ZdQ8wvy
Kobras_Aquairre

Kobras_Aquairre

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] - Gritty Infantry Playtest [Savage Worlds] 4-7 Players   [Closed] - Gritty Infantry Playtest [Savage Worlds] 4-7 Players EmptyFri May 07, 2021 8:43 am

I could potentially be interested.
Back to top Go down
Inquisition6

Inquisition6

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] - Gritty Infantry Playtest [Savage Worlds] 4-7 Players   [Closed] - Gritty Infantry Playtest [Savage Worlds] 4-7 Players EmptyFri May 07, 2021 9:09 am

Very cool. Provided there are three potentials.

Did you have any questions or ideas about what you'd like to see as a player within the context of the setting?
Back to top Go down
https://discord.gg/ZdQ8wvy
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] - Gritty Infantry Playtest [Savage Worlds] 4-7 Players   [Closed] - Gritty Infantry Playtest [Savage Worlds] 4-7 Players Empty

Back to top Go down

[Closed] - Gritty Infantry Playtest [Savage Worlds] 4-7 Players
Page 1 of 1