A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

[CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players  Empty
PostSubject: [CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players    [CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players  EmptyFri Aug 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Hey everyone. Kobras and I were talking about starting out an ironsworn game. It's basically a rules-light, narrative focused RPG that you can actually play without a GM. It's also free, though it's a very high-quality product. Easy to learn.

I have played it a good amount solo and in 2 player co-op (no GM) and can confirm it is pretty awesome.

Now, I am not exactly certain how well it will translate to play-by-post, but I would really like to give it an honest shot.

I am thinking of this as sort of an experimental test, if a group of us starts playing and we like it, we can just keep on rolling with it. Even if everyone else quits, if I'm having fun, I will continue on solo Smile

Setting: Gritty, grounded fantasy in a cold, snowy realm that is sparsely populated. Magic, for example, is only performed through rituals, not really the type of thing you would whip out in combat. It's a harsh place fraught with peril. Inspired by the witcher and skyrim, though I will say it really is it's own beast. The world and lore are pretty open-ended and malleable, we can all sort of create whatever type of world we like to play in on that foundation. The rulebook sort of gives us a quick-start guide for establishing the basics of our setting (what role magic plays, how large communities are, whether supernatural beasts exist or not, etc.)

I am looking for 1, maybe 2 more players. Since I am going to try playing without a GM, I don't think it would be good to let the party get too large.

Feel free to post or message me on LINE if you have any questions. The rules in full can be downloaded for free here:

https://www.ironswornrpg.com

Will post as Kobras and I figure out what type of character archetypes we want to play.

he/him

Last edited by bobarctor1977 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:16 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Pendraig

Pendraig

PostSubject: Re: [CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players    [CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players  EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 10:15 am

Hi Bob,

I may be interested in this. I think it was either you or Kobras who recommended it in an earlier post.

Are the rules difficult to grok?
Back to top Go down
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: [CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players    [CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players  EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 10:45 am

Hey Matt,

That was probably me in the LINE chat. I find the rules to be quite simple and light.

Feel free to check out a one page summary of the rules right here, labelled "rules reference"

https://www.ironswornrpg.com/downloads

Its a bit of an adjustment coming from more classic RPG systems like the FFG 40K line or DND, as the narrative focus and lack of a GM means it's a little vague or "loose" at times. For example, in combat, if you fail an attack roll you may have to do something called "pay the price" which is intentionally left open to interpretation. Usually that's damage to your health, but it could be your weapon breaks or you're knocked down and lose momentum, etc. The rules are less hard and fast and more about guiding the narrative.

Personally, I really like the narrative, light rules. If you've ever played a Powered by the Apocalypse game, it's very similar and heavily inspired by that system.

Nothing you won't pick up with a little bit of play though. Kobras is new as well and I'll be happy to help new players learn the ropes 😁

We are figuring out the details of the world and picking character archetypes now so great time to jump in.

he/him
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: [CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players    [CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players  EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 11:37 am

Laughing

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Pendraig

Pendraig

PostSubject: Re: [CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players    [CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players  EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi Jeff,

I'm definitely up for giving it a go then. Smile
I'm familiar-ish with the Powered by the Apocalypse rules so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a hurdle.
Back to top Go down
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: [CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players    [CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players  EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 12:30 pm

Pendraig wrote:
Hi Jeff,

I'm definitely up for giving it a go then.  Smile
I'm familiar-ish with the Powered by the Apocalypse rules so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a hurdle.

Cool! I'll create a LINE group so you can join us in our preliminary planning. Thread should be up before too long as well.

he/him
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players    [CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players  Empty

Back to top Go down

[CLOSED] Ironsworn - GMless Gritty Fantasy - Open Spots for 1-2 Players
Page 1 of 1