A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power

Go down 
+2
Iron and Metal
Theoretical
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Theoretical

Theoretical

[Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power Empty
PostSubject: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptySat Apr 18, 2020 10:47 pm

So, you tried to join the Guard? The protectors of humanity? The first line of defense? The heroes of every man, woman and child in this sector? Well, too bad. You weren’t good enough, or lucky enough, to get picked from the ranks of chaff. Still, maybe, you might see some action in the PDF. Polishing shoes, parades, those such things. Have fun!
Guardsman Kovach, lost in battle on their first posting.

A Planetary Defense Force refers to the local military of worlds within the Imperium. These forces are legally required by the Departmento Munitorum, and are considered to be the first line of defense for many worlds. Despite this, many in the Imperium look down on local PD Forces, seeing them as a speed bump as best, more often an active detriment. Technically, a PDF is the responsibility of the planetary governor, and thus are often poorly trained, poorly equipped, and sometimes, easily corrupted.

The Guchovian Defense Force, situated on the planet Guchov, is one such PDF. Gutted by Imperial Guard conscription, and armed with outdated weapons and surplus gear. Despite their sorry state, the PDF is still expected to coral the feral orks that infest the equatorial forests, clear the mutants from the slums and act as guards for anything the local nobles deemed important. And if something was to happen to the planet, the PDF is the first to the battlefield.

I’m looking for 3-5 fresh recruits. You’ll be playing as a squad in the Guchovian PDF, under equipped and poorly trained. As the game progresses, your choices influence the future of your squad, the PDF force, and even the planet. Will you work your way up the ranks? Turn the PDF into a fine regiment, worthy of the Guard? Or will you profiteer from the battlezone, taking bribes and scamming officers?

I’m expecting that players will play a fair amount of characters. As is par for Only War, combat is pretty lethal, and characters can die. Additionally, depending on the situation, we might follow the story of other characters that interact with the players.

The game itself will have plenty of opportunity for role-play, but for the most part, the players will be reacting to situations I put them in. You will be building up the world, the PDF and your squad, I’ll be putting the PDF and the world to the test.

Last edited by Theoretical on Sun May 31, 2020 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 10:12 am

I am interested. Oh, god yes; however, I will give my spot up to one of our newer members if need be without an issue.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptyTue Apr 21, 2020 12:20 am

Is this going to be a "You need to have 100 pc's ready for the grinder" type thing?
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptyTue Apr 21, 2020 12:42 am

That isn't my plan. Meat grinders can be fun, but can easily become repetitive. The idea here would be that combat can be lethal, and characters can die, but playing well and trying to survive will substantially increase a character's lifespan.

My interest is not in a meat grinder, but in watching characters grow within the PDF, and how they interact with the situations that entails. Plus awesome 40k combat.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptyTue Apr 21, 2020 11:51 am

My interest has grown. There could be a very twitchy demo guy in this PDF unit in the future.

Questions:

- starting XP roughly?

- Would you be willing to use the updated Wrath & Glory ammo rules since the older rules... suck ass? They can be found here. We've been using them to much success in the Emperor's Bastards game.

- Will we be using comrades?

Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 12:40 am

I'm glad you're interested! Hopefully we get some more interest.

- XP: I'll be using the 600XP that the core rulebook starts with. I'm tempted to start lower as PDF troopers, but I think starting that lower might make starting characters too similar.

- W&G reload rules. Provisionally, sure. I've used W&G rules before, and they work well. If I find that they make certain weapons over perform, I'll consider tweaking or reverting.

- Comrades: I was planning on using Comrades. How have you found them / do you use them?
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 10:05 am

- XP: highly recommend not starting any lower, just due to PbP post/update rates. Takes so much longer to earn XP that early character ideas & player interest may fade before they get to be realized.

- DOPE.

- I personally really like them. I like the small crunch bonuses they give, sure, but their real value is in the character building/roleplay aspects. And with such a small group of players (as it is looking so far) it'll help fill out the squad nicely.

Back to top Go down
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 10:27 am

I am interested but just haven't had time to think about a PC or anything like that!

he/him
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 11:33 pm

Im in the same boat as Bob. If you need a guy to get enough for a game, then Im your guy.
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptySun Apr 26, 2020 7:17 am

Well, This has been up for a week. I'm happy to hear that I have some interested players! Currently, we'll have three players: Iron and Metal, bobarctor1977 and Sylphilis. If others are interested, please feel free to say so, we've got room for another 2

I'll get things up and running by the end of this week, although the regiment and character creation will be the first to go up, so people can get those creative ideas flowing. If people are really struggling for ideas, I'll have some character sheets in reserve for other non-disclosed reasons.

Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptyThu Apr 30, 2020 9:04 am

Game and PC profile forums have been created.

Back to top Go down
mruozu
Senpai
mruozu

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptySat May 02, 2020 3:07 am

I am getting back in the swing of PbP after being a shitty poster for a while. Always do like me some Only War and it looks like a fourth would round it out nicely. If you'll have me.
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptySat May 02, 2020 4:06 am

Awesome. I would be glad to have you join the crew. Things are still being set up at the moment, but char gen should be ready to go.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptyThu May 28, 2020 2:51 pm

Is it to late to get in on this?
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptyThu May 28, 2020 4:01 pm

I love you

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptyThu May 28, 2020 4:17 pm

If there is a spot I'm thinking of playing a reluctant sergeant. A teacher who gave the wrong student an 'f' and so found himself conscripted and because of his profession 'suitable' for command..
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptyFri May 29, 2020 9:57 pm

Hell yeah, that works out well! Welcome aboard. I'll add you to line chat. There's an easy way to include your character soon (by pbp standard). If you could look over character creation and create a character sheet?
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptySun May 31, 2020 4:28 am

Yep thats cool. So I have a week or two at least yeah to sort my character?

Send me that LINE invite when you can.
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptySun May 31, 2020 4:31 am

We can try and push it a little faster if you would like, i.e. mid week. But week or two would also work well.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power EmptySun May 31, 2020 6:19 am

No need to rush, just asking so I've an idea how long I have
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power   [Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power Empty

Back to top Go down

[Closed] Only War - looking for 3-5 players, initially low power
Page 1 of 1