A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC

Go down 
+3
Sylphilis
Neriglissar
Murcurie
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC Empty
PostSubject: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyTue Jan 24, 2023 5:17 pm

"Over the past few centuries an arch-heretic named Aynthrexes has been the herald for at least a dozen atrocities across the Askellon sector. He is a champion of Nurgle and a powerful sorcerer. He has spread plague and ruination across hives, planets and systems and has been the cause for an order of planetary Exterminatus. This heretic works through cults of the plague god, he is careful and elusive and often doesn’t make an appearance until the ‘final hour’ of a cults plans. He is our ultimate target, he must be brought down and I'm willing to sacrifice much to see that happen."

"Aynthrexes plans are being brought to fruition by two cults of Nurgle both of which originated from a Carrion Guild house of the Fayne family. First is The Blessed Flesh who operate out of the underhive. They are led by the older brother; Tormus Fayne. The second is the Callers of Sorrow, who call an area of the lower hive named the Gallowsway their home. They are led by the younger brother; Ferrue Fayne. The Gallowsway is home to the Carrion Guilds who process the dead of the hive. From what I've learnt the Callers of Sorrow look for new members for both their own cult and also for The Blessed Flesh. The Callers are also sending large numbers of bodies into the underhive via a gang called the Red Walk."

Maud pauses, she had started to wheeze. She takes a moment to take a few sips of water before continuing.

"I do not know what but something has happened in the Gallowsway that will bring the attentions of an inquisitorial cell led by an Interrogator named Katerina Slim. It is imperative that the investigations of Slim do not cause to much disruption to the cults work as I believe Aynthrexes will go to ground and we'll miss a chance to strike at him. Unfortunately I do not believe reasoning with Slim will work as she is a fanatic for a particularly devout Inquisitor who only see's things in black and white. Therefore you must distrupt the Interrogator's investigations, up to if necessary, taking out the cell."

Maud pushes over a dataslate to the closest of you which shows an image of Interrogator Slim.

...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC Array-62988be38fab8

"The hive's of Kul are ruled by the maintenance of unimaginably strict bonds of obedience, enforced by the implementation of a network of oaths that intertwines every single level of its highly stratified society. This complex web links every possible sphere of life, regulating everything from the subtlest of manners to the span of standard years a worker-serf can expect to live. All hivers carry a special cogwork device that indicates their work area and their oath of servitude. This makes moving about the hive all but impossible for off-worlders."

"Now I hope from what I've said you'll realise that you can't operate openly as inquisitorial agents, you'll need a cover that will allow you to move about mostly unrestricted. I would suggest you go by the guise of bounty hunters, this will allow you to move about the hive. You'll also need a bounty. Both of these things I can arrange. Regardless of what you decide we will shuttle down to one of the offworld quarters this evening, you will stay there while I sort out your cog devices which shouldn't take more than a day. You will then travel to the Gallowsway to locate Interrogator Slim and start your work."

On finishing she slumps down into a her chair a little more than before "Questions?" she rasps at you.

Summary:
Back to top Go down
moarhair

moarhair

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyMon Jan 30, 2023 8:03 am

Philomena takes notes with her writing kit as she listens to the Inquisitor's briefing. Putting the information on paper helped her memorize the details and structure her thoughts. Unlike taking digital notes, ink did not forgive, so you had to be particularly attentive to avoid making a mess of your parchment. Though she generally rewrote her minutes after the conclusion of a meeting, Mina prided herself on being able to have a clean and useable first draft. Sometimes, there just wasn't time to compose a clean copy.

Mina looks up when the Inquisitor stops and solicits their queries. "Do we have any intel on Interrogator Slim's cell? Specifics about members would be helpful. There may be some weak links we can exploit."

"Also, do we know how far along the cults' plans are? Buying a bit of time could be achieved by leading the Interrogator on a wild goose chase, but if we're still months away from the arch-heretic's appearance, we will probably need to take her off the board."
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyMon Jan 30, 2023 11:12 pm

Donna casually listens to the briefing, but her excitement was growing with each passing moment.

Operating in an underhive? Posing as bounty hunters? contact with wild, roving gangs? and the opportunity to tackle some rival inquisitor units?.

She stretches out her ludicrously outlandish pants, feeling a moistness that wasn't there before.
"Bluddy 'ell this sounds fukkin lovely. Got me knickers awl twisted with ants'ipashun"
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyTue Jan 31, 2023 1:44 am

moarhair wrote:
Mina looks up when the Inquisitor stops and solicits their queries. "Do we have any intel on Interrogator Slim's cell? Specifics about members would be helpful. There may be some weak links we can exploit."

"Also, do we know how far along the cults' plans are? Buying a bit of time could be achieved by leading the Interrogator on a wild goose chase, but if we're still months away from the arch-heretic's appearance, we will probably need to take her off the board."

Maud shakes her head. "That hasn't been possible as we've been travelling the stars for some time, any intel on the cell you'll have to gather yourselves and determine the best course of action. I've heard of this interrogator though and while she is a fanatic she isn't a total firebrand and does have some finesse."

"As for the cults plans; we have 118 days until the seven stellar bodies of the system come into alignment. The number seven has significance for the followers of Nurgle and will empower whatever it is they plan."
Back to top Go down
Neriglissar

Neriglissar

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyWed Feb 01, 2023 9:18 am

Inner struggle resolved Lokar started to relax back into his usual self

I think I could pass as a fierce-looking bounty hunter, and if I kept my helm on the way down there then once we arrive I could go native. I know a little of Nurgle and a lot about living inside a cult. We know where they are recruiting from so I could pose as a worker and try to join up. One hundred and eighteen days is plenty of time. I'm sure I can find a way to stand out and work my way up the ranks a little. The only problem is that I doubt this fancy necklace is appropriate. He said tugging at his explosive collar. Perhaps if you took it off.. He said trying his luck.
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyWed Feb 01, 2023 2:43 pm

"I am unsure how best I would be able to disguise myself without abandoning my blessed armaments almost entirely..." Severine clicked her tongue, thinking things over for just a moment.

"Barring of course removing the purity seals and repainting them. This... Could be done, though I would need some hours of penance as a result."
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyMon Feb 06, 2023 3:27 am

Neriglissar wrote:
I think I could pass as a fierce-looking bounty hunter, and if I kept my helm on the way down there then once we arrive I could go native. I know a little of Nurgle and a lot about living inside a cult. We know where they are recruiting from so I could pose as a worker and try to join up. One hundred and eighteen days is plenty of time. I'm sure I can find a way to stand out and work my way up the ranks a little. The only problem is that I doubt this fancy necklace is appropriate. He said tugging at his explosive collar. Perhaps if you took it off.. He said trying his luck.

Lokar gets an amused look from Maud “That might be a good idea if the mission was to try and infiltrate the cults but it is not.” She then becomes more serious. “You raise a point though that needs to be addressed.” The inquisitor pulls out a small device from the folds of her robes, it is a detonator. “Philomena I’m entrusting you with this, there might be a time when you need remove Lokar’s explosive collar.” She passes the device over which has a plastic shield protecting the buttons from accidentle use. “The red button removes Lokar’s head, the green releases the lock and deactivates the device. Locking the device again will re-arm it.”

AbstractCloud1 wrote:
"I am unsure how best I would be able to disguise myself without abandoning my blessed armaments almost entirely..." Severine clicked her tongue, thinking things over for just a moment.

"Barring of course removing the purity seals and repainting them. This... Could be done, though I would need some hours of penance as a result."

“Yes you certainly stand out. Even with such work your armour would still bear the look of the Sororitas design which is quite distinct. Perceptive inquisitorial agents may recognise it which may or may not raise questions. I will leave it up to you, I’m sure there is a suit of carapace somewhere if you'd prefer and so keep your power armour whole for when its needed.”

Last edited by Carnelian on Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Neriglissar

Neriglissar

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyMon Feb 06, 2023 4:26 am

Fierce-looking bounty hunter it is then. ''Oh well, worth a try'' he thought.

Lokar turns to face Philomena. Have I told you how lovely you look today my lady?. He said with his best smile and bowing slightly.
Back to top Go down
moarhair

moarhair

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyMon Feb 06, 2023 7:24 am

Philomena raises an eyebrow at Lokar. Her thumb gently brushes the safety cover, right above the red button. "No, you have not."

Her finger twitches towards the green button. She bats her eyelashes at the barbarian. "But do go on," she says with a smirk. "How lovely do I look today? Spare no detail."
Back to top Go down
Neriglissar

Neriglissar

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyMon Feb 06, 2023 10:55 am

Lokar spoke to Philomena but found it hard to keep eye contact, his gaze flicking towards the detonator in her hand.

Very lovely my lady, I've always thought you added a touch of class to our otherwise rough around the edges team. So much so I can't imagine you passing as a lowly bounty hunter. Not that I'm worried, you are an intelligent and resourceful lady, err, young lady. I'm sure you will surprise us all.
Back to top Go down
moarhair

moarhair

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyMon Feb 06, 2023 1:58 pm

Philomena's smirk falters and she averts her eyes from Lokar. She sighs and puts the remote detonator away. Cruelty could be quite fun, but only when the people made to squirm were rivals or enemies. Lokar was neither; he was a slave and a teammate. Toying with his life, even in jest, was mean and, even worse, undignified. She made a mental note to apologize to him later. "I promise I will not treat this responsibility lightly," she says to Inquisitor Grimm, with a curt nod.

"Bounty hunters are a good cover. People find their way to that occupation in a variety of ways, even the highborn. Our eclectic group should not attract undue attention."
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyTue Feb 07, 2023 3:25 pm

Severine chuckled softly to herself as Lokar attempted to earn favor with the Lady. The attempt was adorable, if a bit floundering. Still, she enjoyed watching.

"I admit I am unaccustomed to wearing anything with less protective power than my usual armor, but I can make do. I will leave the decision of what must be done to aid in my disguise up to Lady Philomena, she will likely be our voice so I will do as she believes is easiest."

Severine leaned back in her seat with her arms crossed slightly. "I am, as ever, at your command my Lady, and if I may - Your makeup this morning is immaculate, you cut a stunning figure even in these relaxed environments."

She shot a wink at Lokar, teasing.
Back to top Go down
moarhair

moarhair

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 6:25 am

Philomena flicks her fan open and hides the bottom of her face demurely. "Oh my, Sister. If I didn't know better, I could be made to think you are courting me."

"I am afraid resorting to the carapace armor will be necessary. Your power armor would attract too much attention. I hope you won't misunderstand my insistence, Sister. I assure you, it is not meant to have you wear more revealing garb."

Mina takes a long look at Severine. "We will have to do something about your hair as well." Her eyes flick over to Donna, then back at the Sister. "Don't worry, it won't be anything quite so drastic. Unless you'd like to capitalize on this opportunity, since you'll have to do a Sacrament of Penance anyway."
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 10:36 am

Felyx listened intently without blinking.

Everything that was said would be memorized to the last syllable and able to be recalled again, such was his hypno-training and various internal cybernetic implants.

He was an odd member, well former member, of the Cult Mechanicus. While he quite obviously sported some cybernetic enhancements, really only his left hand stood out. The cybernetic had been replaced long ago to help with his acquisition of knowledge. Everything else was internal.

In fact, the shoulder mounted weapons platform would only enhance his look as a bounty hunter. Besides, it wasn't like he went around wearing those idiotic red robes. Ordo Explorator garments were extremely utilitarian. Between that, his flak cloak, and Servitor Unit, he fit the role.

"Bounty Hunters is good for covers. Must be to admitting that I am excite for this. Many systems-hacking, securities, and demo options. I am being ready to party."

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com Online
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 10:52 am

"Ah but do you know better, my lady?" Severine held her smile as Philomena finished her explanation of what would need to be done. It didn't bother her overmuch, penance was valuable worship to the Emperor even if it was being done, in this case, to atone for something that would normally be easy to avoid.

She nodded. "You may make me look as you see fit, be that revealing garb or not, I will atone for what is done later." She gave a rumbling bit of laughter and shook her head. "Besides, the only thing I would need to atone for is the armor being sullied. If I will not be wearing it, then I should have little to seek His forgiveness for... What do you want to do to my hair?"
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 11:13 am

Felyx's deadpan face gives way to a very slight grimace as his eyes dart back and forth between Severine and Philomena.

"What... what are you twos doings? Flirtings?"

He looked over to Damiel and then Lokar as if to say, Are you two seeing this?

Back to top Go down
moarhair

moarhair

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 11:47 am

Philomena chuckles at Severine's repartee. She was unlike any other member of the Ecclesiarchy she'd met before. Most would not have meshed so well with this band of misfits.

She raises an eyebrow at Felyx's question and puts on an innocent, shocked expression. "Of course not, Felyx. The Sister is a holy woman, devoted to the Emperor."

Mina turns back to Severine. "As for your hair, darling, however fetching and well-suited to your features your current style is, the white bob cut is a dead giveaway. I'm thinking a dye job, maybe an undercut or some curls... Something to complement your statuesque physique. Come to my quarters this evening and I'll put my fingers to good use."
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 11:58 am

She couldn't hide her smile, or the second burst of laughter as Philomena responded to Felyx. "In my devotion to the emperor I'm afraid it has focused far more on my oral performance. Prayers are a crucial part of my daily regimen of worship, hair styling is not. So your fingers will be quite the boon."

Severine sat straighter in her seat and offered a bow of the head. "Of course my lady. The dye can be changed, as can the style. The dye was a personal choice, not one mandated by my duties. I look forward to seeing what you decide upon, this is very much an area outside of what I am used to. I will be there this evening, my Lady."
Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 1:19 pm

Damiel sat in his seat quietly, listening intently to every word Maud spoke. His memory was not as good as Felyx's, but he wouldn't be the least prepared on the team. The mission brief was simple, disrupt Slim, determine the workings of the gangers and by extension Aynthrexes, and bring him down. All this while maintaining the appearance of bounty hunters on a mission in the hive and keeping open communication with Maud.

He regarded Philomena and Severine discourteously, "Glad to see I'm not the most disrespectful of the Lady Inquisitor's presence. I'm certain what hairs you trim this evening will bring you closer to our mission for The Emperor. Now then, we must determine our cover. I think Philomena is a good choice to lead, and Severine or Felyx can pose as a right hand. The rest of us could be just muscle. Does anyone have another idea?" Damiel attempts to make eye contact with each of the other acolytes.
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 1:27 pm

"I assume I will be either a bodyguard or muscle of some sort, I have little else I can offer without immediately making it quite obvious what I am, which as we discussed would be quite counterproductive."

Severine switched easily back to the more serious conversation. This had been something that was very much required when she was training, levity with the other sisters and seriousness when with their superiors.

"Lady Philomena could lead our group, and the rest of us can simply be her team. I do not see a specific reason to truly specialize beyond that. Do all bounty hunting teams have a leadership hierarchy?"
Back to top Go down
Neriglissar

Neriglissar

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 2:36 pm

Lokar nodded to Feylx and wondered if he should ask for a trim.

If we are voting then I vote for Philomena to lead us.

He kept well away from Damiel's eye contact.
Back to top Go down
moarhair

moarhair

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyFri Feb 10, 2023 7:53 am

Philomena smirks at Damiel's chiding. She hadn't known the Inquisitor for very long, but she had no doubt that Maud would have no trouble putting her in her place if she thought she was wasting her time. The psyker is, however, genuinely surprised when the null follows up his criticism by nominating her for the role of team leader. She meets his eye contact, forcing her face to stay neutral despite the deep discomfort she feels under his gaze. It feels like staring into a deep, dark pit, and seems interminable.

When Damiel finally turns to look at someone else, Mina looks away as well and releases a breath she didn't realize she'd been holding. She looks at Severine and Lokar in turn as they voice their support for the null's idea. "I will gladly take on the role of our bounty hunter crew's leader. We each have our own set of skills which are as applicable to our usual tasks as to our cover. I doubt our internal structure will be questioned, but if it is, remember that the best lies are the simple ones with a grain of truth. Muscle, technical support, chaplain, tracker... or just: 'I'm a bounty hunter, I do what I need to to get my quarry and get paid'."

Last edited by moarhair on Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyFri Feb 10, 2023 12:17 pm

Felyx nods approvingly. Internally, he was calculating how many man-stopper rounds Servitor II could be outfitted with before anyone got suspicious. As he did so, he gingerly interwove his fingers in between Damiel's, as normal friends do.

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyFri Feb 17, 2023 3:41 am

After preparing for the remainder of the day you shuttle down to Kul Prime with Maud, setting down on a private landing pad within one of the foreigner areas of the hive at 19:47 hours. As you get ready to leave you notice your Inquisitor remained in her seat still buckled in. “I’ve business elsewhere while I arrange your oath cogs and a few things to check up on. I will meet you tomorrow at midday back here. Have fun, but not to much fun and try not to cause any trouble” she gives Donna a hard look.

You exit the landing pad onto a high up walkway overlooking the foreigners quarter, you have an excellent view of the place. Two areas clearly stand out amongst the rest of the mundane looking structures and builds. To your left are a cluster of what are no doubt Adeptus buildings, the tell tale design of forbidding grey fortresses festooned in gargoyles. Even from this distance you can make out a patrol of what are likely Adeptus Arbites from the black sheen of their armour. To your right you see the neon glow of what must be the entertainments area and the many delights it might offer. The place is a bustle with people going about their business.

You have the evening and the morning to do as you please, there are places to eat, drink, shop and rest and many things in between.
Back to top Go down
moarhair

moarhair

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyFri Feb 17, 2023 9:58 am

Philomena nods at the Inquisitor. Normally, she would have bowed, but a more casual acknowledgement fit their cover better. The psyker wore thick khaki pants and a modified imperial guard lieutenant's jacket she'd kept from a former lover. It no longer bore any rank or regimental insignia and had been tailored to fit her better. She had left her staff on the ship, taking instead a saber from Maud's armory. It had belonged to one of her former acolytes, who had been an officer on a Rogue Trader's ship before entering the Inquisitor's service. Her pistols were strapped to her thighs on each side.

Mina steps off the shuttle and wrinkles her nose as the smells of Kul Prime assaults her. It was, after all, an industrial Hive world. The fumes from the manufactorums mixed with the waste of the masses, and was accented by the varied hints of the different "foods" being cooked in the entertainment district. Mina briefly considers putting in her filtration plugs.

It was also a loud place. The hum of thousands of conversations, the thrum of machinery, the blaring announcement from the authorities, and the music wafting through the air from the bars joined together in a riotous cacophony. She already missed the quiet of the ship's sanitized interior.

She wraps herself up in her flak cloak as she takes in the sights from the vantage point of the walkway. "Let’s use our brief stay in the foreigners’ quarter as an opportunity to establish and practice our cover. Since I’m posing as our band’s leader, I’ll voice my suggestions and questions as orders. Hopefully, you’ll be used to it by the time we move on to Gallowsway."

Mina stands up a bit straighter, getting into her role. "Felyx and I are going to acquire the items on our list. You lot, stay out of trouble. Always have a partner to watch your back. No picking fights," she says, her speech clipped, in stark contrast to her normal, smooth voice. "If I have to bail you out, it’s coming out of your cut, my time included. Understood?"
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyFri Feb 17, 2023 12:45 pm

Felyx stared at the hive for a good while without blinking in the dusk of a new world. He remembered the last hive he, Donna and Damiel had been on. It had not gone well to say the least. There had been more, of course: Marius, Dorian, Egill, Alistair, Attikus... all skeletons now.

He smiled. It was nice to get a second chance. The hot shot las in its resting position on his right shoulder twitched. The jolt of momentary excitement was enough to stimulate the MIU. Briefly, the blue electoos that covered his body just under the skin pulsed in a soft light.

His flak coat was buttoned up tight, keeping hidden and secure a snub revolver loaded with man-stopper rounds and a handful of other useful trinkets and toys. His Man-Catcher was snugly on the side of his backpack. It very much looked the part of a man on a mission to catch other humans.

Servitor strode confidently beside him, deathly silent aside from the soft roll of its tread.

"Let us then be seeing what shits we can gets."

Back to top Go down
Neriglissar

Neriglissar

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyFri Feb 17, 2023 4:36 pm

If Lokar was to be a fierce-looking bounty hunter then he was going to turn up in full battle dress. Horned helm and bone trophies displayed with pride, every weapon he owned straped on and ready to go.

''Cut loose in a hive for a whole evening'' he considered the possibilities and his mind spun.

The young feral turned to Philomena. Don't worry boss, I'll do my 'very' best not to fight anyone that isn't totally asking for it.

Looking for any excuse he said I'm going to go look for the nearest bounty office, perhaps we can pick up more than one bounty and make a few extra thrones. Then, without asking for permission, he turns and walks away into the noisy crowd...
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyFri Feb 17, 2023 4:45 pm

Severine stepped off the ship. Her power armor had been replaced by a suit of carapace armor that didn't quite fit her perfectly. Beneath it she wore a tank top and sleeveless vest, and fatigue pants. Far more casual than her usual affair. Her eyepatch had been replaced with a pair of mirrored glasses, and her hair had been cut short and shaved on the sides.
"Understood boss." She gave a curt nod of her head to Philomena.

As Lokar walked off, Severine went to grab his shoulder. "You heard her, no going off alone. Pick one've us to go with you. Damiel, me or Donna."
Back to top Go down
Neriglissar

Neriglissar

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptySat Feb 18, 2023 12:06 pm

Lokar spun around to face Severine, squinting as he looked her up and down, she didn't look anywhere near as big without her power armor. He felt much more confident around her now. But if it did come to blows then she would lightly have help from one or two of the others and that would not go so well for him.

Very well, If I must choose. He made a show of looking between Severine and Donna then back again. Hmmm, who to pick? I think... Donna, because 'she' has a good haircut. This was a childish dig but he didn't like being challenged and was acting out.
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptySat Feb 18, 2023 1:54 pm

"...Perhaps one more person should go with the two of you as well. Damiel? I'll cover the boss and Felyx."

Severine entirely ignored the dig, though she did enjoy the impulse Lokar seemed to have to prove he was the biggest and strongest. It was cute.
Back to top Go down
Neriglissar

Neriglissar

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptySat Feb 18, 2023 2:47 pm

Lokars time living in the Contorted Cult was time spent living in a political viper's pit, and if nothing else, he is a product of his upbringing.

No need for you to second guess the boss's orders Severine, I'm sure she knows what she is doing. Are you saying that Donna is not capable of being my buddy?

Lokar feigns disapproval and looks to Donna.
Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptySat Feb 18, 2023 9:57 pm

Damiel didn't rise as the drop shuttle doors hissed open. He sat and stared past Felyx at the hive. It had been some time since their failure almost caused their deaths. Seeing it now, Damiel swallowed a emptiness that was equal parts burden and terror. He stood after a few long moments, and put a hand on Felyx's shoulder. He wasn't sure whether it was to assure Felyx or himself.

"Not a chance Lokar. You getting off the leash is just a second mission. Besides, we don't have ID, and we're not picking up any contracts without. Let's grab a drink and see if we can't collect some info." He steps up near him, tightening the whip he's wrapped under his shirt to ensure his gun stays tucked into it.

"I'm on the bead if anything happens. Good luck." He says, moving his hair to show his micro-bead. After a second, he ushers Lokar onward.
Back to top Go down
moarhair

moarhair

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 6:18 am

Philomena nods at Damiel, moving her hair with her hand to show him her own micro-bead. She was relieved he had chosen to shepherd Lokar, as he was the most likely to get him to behave. She had seem the discomfort the null caused the shaman. It mirrored her own.

Mina picks her her pace to catch up with Felyx and match his longer stride. "Yes, let's." She takes a dataslate out of her bag and scrolls through the list Felyx had compiled from the rest of the team. "That's... a lot of materials. It'll be difficult to purchase all of this without attracting attention." Mina glances at Felyx and his servitor. The pair would attract attention even just strolling around. "This is going to be expensive..." she mutters, thinking of all the bribes she'd have to pay.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:32 am

Donna steps off the ship with the elegance of a general reconquering a world and returning to its newly liberated peoples. It was a different hive, to be sure, on a world she had never heard of, but it didnt really matter.

...Donna was home.

The air smelled of refuse, sweat, bodies, and street meat. It was fresh, a small taste of home.

She listened to the others discuss the matter of a leader, she didnt care for that.
"Don worie 'bout that. Oui'll be yah scout. An' I think the bestest place to be finding info an Rumahs is a water'in hole. But Oui meself would like some new guns as well. Don get me wrong, this autogun is great. But oui think maybe a biggah autopistol might be in order eh? Sumthin nice for Donna?"
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 10:49 am

[Just Off the Boat]

Felyx basked in the warmth of Damiel's touch before he regarded Donna. "Put new cybernetics to good uses, then I will be thinking on it." He eyes her excellent cybernetic arm, ideas of transforming her more fully coming to his mind. It had been a slow process, and one that would hopefully speed up due to their time on this hive.

But he would turn her into a cybernetic killer. It was fate.

++++++

[With Philomena]

"Is it being neuro-typicals of you to worrying as much as this?" Felyx gave her a look as he continued, Servitor II rolling by his side.

"Costs have being calculated. Even if we can acquire all - and certainly am doubting we can do - costing-beneffiting-analyzing is in our favors. I am having huge brains, remembers?" He taps his head for emphasis.

"Besides, I have been practicings the subtle arts of the commerces." With that, he gives her another look and raises his eyebrows three times in quick succession. Surely now her mind was at ease.

+++

[Foreigners' Quarters]

In the foreigners' quarters, Felyx makes his way to what constituted a PX/Commissary. A squat man with bad hair, but surprisingly good teeth, greets them behind an armaglass window. After brief introductions, Felyx asks about the weather. It was ill timed and the pacing of the question itself was off putting, but with his small talk due diligence done, he dives right into the subtle art of commerce he had been studying.

And perhaps shocking to Philomena (perhaps not), he did not suck at it. He asked about various items, their prices and then shot back with memorized counter offers based on the GDP of the hive, output of the system, and numbers on rival sellers in the area. While it was neither smooth, nor subtle, the amount of correct information had the seller on his back foot. Reluctantly, he agreed to a drastic price reduction in many - but not all - of the items.

Without breaking stide, Felyx produced a list of what the team needed. At the end of the day, there were simply a few items that the seller didn't have or wasn't willing to budge on. It was no matter. Felyx was confident that they would be able to pilfer the dead bodies of the other Inquisitorial team when the time came.

...or their living, in custody bodies, he supposed.

Items acquired at +10 commerce:

Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 11:04 am

Severine gave a final half-wave to the other three members of their group before splitting off and following Felyx and Philomena. She was glad not to be around the null, not that she'd ever say that out loud. Besides, these two would need *someone* who could actually defend them if something bad happened.

"I'll try and be seen, not heard while you two negotiate for equipment."
Back to top Go down
Neriglissar

Neriglissar

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyMon Feb 20, 2023 5:45 am

Lokar part recoiled part jumped as Damiel came into his personal space. He didn't so much see him coming as feel it, his inner power weakening. He would never say so out loud but Damiel scared him. No need to get excited Mr Pokey, I was going that way anyway. Lokar moved off in the direction indicated.

This situation had just gone from bad to backfire. This team were hardened veterans, not so easy to intimidate, and with his salve status turning them against one another wasn't going to be easy. ''I best not overplay my hand like that again'' Not getting his way was distasteful but ending up with a permanent Null escort would be unbearable, he made a mental note ''Just shut your mouth and do as you told for a while... And try not to look at it.''
Back to top Go down
moarhair

moarhair

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyMon Feb 20, 2023 8:00 am

"Neuro-typicals?" Being a psyker, this was not a term Philomena was used to hearing about herself. She shakes her head. "There are concerns beyond the price of the items we must take into account. What we're looking for is bound to raise some eyebrows. I'm calculating the added cost of having them lowered."

Philomena keeps her face serious as she quickly glances at Severine and gives her a curt nod, but inwardly, she's pleased the Sister had chosen to come with her and Felyx. The tech-priest could handle himself and cut an imposing figure, but having someone who clearly looked like muscle would help with their cover. Severine was also the one member of the team she'd developed the best rapport with. She just hoped Damiel could keep both Lokar and Donna in line.

Mina is surprised by Felyx's skill at negotiation. She pays close attention to his methods during the back-and-forth. She can see him thinking, making mental calculations with deftness and efficiency. The PX/Commissary clerk gets progressively sweatier as the tech-priest relentlessly presses him to get the items they need at the best possible price. She interjects periodically, dropping hints about off-the-counter bonuses for his help, finder's fees, etc. Buying his silence isn't cheap, but when the acolytes leave, Mina is fairly certain word of their passage will be contained.

As the three leave to rejoin the others, Mina turns to Felyx. "Your practice is paying off. I would be delighted to hear more about your methods."
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyMon Feb 20, 2023 1:03 pm

Felyx nodded as she talked. Truth was, he did see a lot of potential in how they tag-teamed that grubby dealer. Felyx was the blunt logic and numbers, and Philomena softened the blows with flowery promises and an appeal to the sensibilities of business people.

It worked.

"I was noticing to your calculations. And. Well. We were to working good togethers. You are like the bird - sing song, colorfuls. I am like the bee - quick and sexy."

He continued to take in the sights of the foreigners' quarters, happy to be off the ship. He was Ordo Explorator - or at least he was. Even then that wasn't entirely accurate, but it was his truth. And this was where he thrived: exploring.

"My methoding is not being too complicate. I am simply knowing more than he: numbers, figures, input, output. Imagine Servitor II and its autogun was helping too."

Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyMon Feb 20, 2023 1:06 pm

Severine had remained quiet through the entire exchange with the merchants. She spent most of it looking the opposite direction of the pair, scanning the crowd for any sign of threats or perhaps the other inquisitorial team. Both would be obvious, she assumed. The latter moreso than the former, perhaps, but people with violent intentions among the masses of hive cities often made themselves far from subtle in her experience.

As the sales were finalized she turned to walk in step with the pair as they spoke, still silent. She had little to say about negotiations for goods, it all felt silly to her as someone who was given exactly what she needed by her convent her entire life.
Back to top Go down
moarhair

moarhair

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyMon Feb 20, 2023 2:18 pm

Philomena raises an eyebrow. "Sexy" was not a word she'd ever heard used to describe a bee. And she wasn't sure how much birds and bees worked together. Strange analogy aside, Felyx was right. They had complemented each other well.

"I see, so it's mainly research. Knowing the market well enough to know how far you can push. In that way, it's similar to other types of negotiations, but perhaps better quantified."

"The specifics of trading is not something that was covered at the Scholastica I attended. You will assist me in learning it. As the leader of our outfit, I need to be able to keep an eye on the books. Someone needs to make sure you're not embezzling,"
she says with a grin.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyTue Feb 21, 2023 7:38 am

Felyx nodded, and in his best gruff hiver accent (which was pretty shit) he responded, "Yes, boss."

He cleared his throat and took a moment with his next question, as though he was really struggling not to suck so badly at Low Gothic, knowing that the Silent-Sister-Severine was close by and listening carefully. It was something of a personal question, but one that Felyx was curious about.

"Question: Why are you... fraternizing so... kindly-kind? with us low-borns? You are being High Born, yes? Me, Damiels, Not that one," he threw a thumb over his shoulder to Severine. "Am understandings not so much Lokars and Donnas. Trash peoples. Not by birth necessarilys, but actions. But me and DAMIELS. Why fraternizing kindly? A ruse for team cohesions?"

He was coming off more judgmental than he meant, but his was a genuine curiosity.

Back to top Go down
moarhair

moarhair

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyTue Feb 21, 2023 12:31 pm

Philomena keeps a straight face, but inwardly, she is pleased. Due to Felyx's peculiar way of expressing himself, she hadn't been certain whether he'd been receptive to her usual methods. Despite the suspicion dripping from his words, she was reassured.

She considers her words carefully before speaking. "I wouldn't say a 'ruse', as that would imply some sort of nefarious intent, but it is in large part for team cohesion. We may have been born to different stations in life, but our paths led us to the same occupation. We are colleagues, first and foremost, and it's been my experience that a relationship based on respect makes collaborative work more efficient. The nature of our business makes it likely that we will need to put ourselves in danger for each other. Most people wouldn't take risk for those they resent."

She looks up at the Hive's spires, visible over the foreigners' quarter's walls. "Besides, the circumstances of my birth have meant very little for over a decade," she mutters regretfully, with a hint of bitterness.

Last edited by moarhair on Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyFri Feb 24, 2023 3:43 am

Neriglissar wrote:
Lokar part recoiled part jumped as Damiel came into his personal space. He didn't so much see him coming as feel it, his inner power weakening. He would never say so out loud but Damiel scared him. No need to get excited Mr Pokey, I was going that way anyway. Lokar moved off in the direction indicated.

This situation had just gone from bad to backfire. This team were hardened veterans, not so easy to intimidate, and with his salve status turning them against one another wasn't going to be easy. ''I best not overplay my hand like that again'' Not getting his way was distasteful but ending up with a permanent Null escort would be unbearable, he made a mental note ''Just shut your mouth and do as you told for a while... And try not to look at it.''

After sometime wondering about and not finding what you’re looking for Lokar stops a local in his tracks and demands to know where the bounty office is. The man is about to reply then grimaces as he notices Damiel, he makes his excuses and quickly continues on his way. Trying again but putting a bit of distance between himself and the null reaps better results. After a bit of back and forth with the local Lokar learns that the foreigners quarter is in place so off-worlders through intermediaries can conduct business with those who live within the oath bound structure of Kul Prime. While the local doesn’t know where a bounty office exactly is he is sure there will be more than one within the hive proper. You’d need to wait until Maud returned with your credentials. The three of you find yourselves outside the neon lights of the entertainments district. You’ve not been walking the streets long so no doubt the others are not done with looking for equipment.
Back to top Go down
Neriglissar

Neriglissar

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyFri Feb 24, 2023 5:57 am

Well, I would say that was information gathered for now. Lokar looked pleased with himself. Damial. The feral kept his gaze fixed on the neon lights. Don't I remember you saying something about a drink? ''Perhaps if I can sit a few chairs away from it I'll be able to keep my drink down'' He thought. If we are to blend in we should act like the locals do and enjoy ourselves.

What do you say Donna? you are the expert, what would be a fun thing to do in a place like this?
Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyMon Feb 27, 2023 3:12 pm

Damiel walks behind Lokar, pouring over the city with his eyes. He had no desire to baby sit the trouble child, but he knew he was the best suited. It would, of course, lower their ability to gather information, as every local shied away from his presence. "Yes, Lokar, a drink sounds great. Why don't we try a little experiment? You don't have to sit next to me, and if you're well-behaved, I might give you a bit of a longer leash next time." He butts in with a stretched smile. "Donna? What's your watering hole of choice?"

Iron and Metal likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyMon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 pm

Neriglissar wrote:
Well, I would say that was information gathered for now. Lokar looked pleased with himself. Damial. The feral kept his gaze fixed on the neon lights. Don't I remember you saying something about a drink? ''Perhaps if I can sit a few chairs away from it I'll be able to keep my drink down'' He thought. If we are to blend in we should act like the locals do and enjoy ourselves.

What do you say Donna? you are the expert, what would be a fun thing to do in a place like this?

Donna give him a wink.
"We gots lotsa things tew do 'ina place like this. Basic'lees, we gets drinks, gets stimms, or go to a skin bar. Pick ya poison luv."

She had a wicked gleam in her eye. The chance for self indulgent debauchery had her all amped up.
Back to top Go down
Neriglissar

Neriglissar

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyTue Feb 28, 2023 7:24 am

The hive was nothing like Lokar had seen before, the lights and sounds assaulting his senses, and the lack of livestock in the streets and indoor plumbing meant that it even smelt good, to him at least. Clearly this was a wonderous place full of possibilites, if only he knew what they were.

Lokar answers Damiel but looks to Donna. I like experiments, especially ones where I get to drink and I've yet to try these stims, Donna seems to like them. We could start there and see where it takes us. The young feral walked about wide-eyed trying to take it all in. Failing that we could always try gambling. I've a feeling that your presence will put our opponents off their game. This was an honest attempt at strategy, after all, why not try and make the best of things.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyWed Mar 01, 2023 1:38 am

"Waterin 'ole it is then." she says with a wicked wink.

She leads them around the main streets like she knew what she was doing. She knew enough to know that these flashy and glitzy lights were the bars for the rich kid upper hivers. The nitty gritty ones would be off the beaten path. Less lights, less noise, rough crowds.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC EmptyFri Mar 10, 2023 2:30 am

+++ The Transport +++

Back at the landing pad the following day you find Maud waiting for you within the transport, she greets you all cordially as you file in. Once settled the inquisitor hauls herself out of her seat and hands each of you a small cogwork device; it is a thick disc some two inches across with a central interface point, some of the internal workings is exposed showing a simple almost clockwork device within. “Do not lose these, the cogs denote your identity and purpose within the hive and will allow you some freedom of travel in authorised areas. It will give you access to the foreigners quarter, the lower hive and also official gateways into the underhive.” She shuffles back to her seat before continuing. “Congratulations, you are now all members of a bounty hunter group known as the Black Veil. The Veil are a group I created a long time ago in this system and used for cover for our work when appropriate. Try not to tarnish the name.”

“Now the job, you are to kill or capture one Max Tallow. He is the leader of The Buzzards a gang of smugglers who operate out of the wastes surrounding the hive. He has moves his goods through the under and lower hive in the areas around the Gallowsway.” She hands over a dataslate “here are the details of the bounty, there is not much information but I’m sure that won’t be a problem. I’m sure you’ll find someone in the Gallowsway who has heard of them.”

“Any questions?”

WANTED - MAX TALLOW - DEAD OR ALIVE
...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC 9b98712acb68dcbbb68d009ce60724a4

+++ Overlooking the Foreigners Quarter +++

Your conversation about bounty hunting is interrupted by a burst of static from a comms unit  “Inquisitor, I’m picking up the ships transponder. ETA 2 minutes.” A male voice reports. Maud rubs her hands together “Perfect!” she beams at you “Interrogator Slim is about to arrive.” She almost leaps out of her seat and gathers up her black stave “Follow me.” Waving away any questions for now Maud leads you out of the transport and through the landing bay doors so you were once again over looking the Foreigners Quarter. “Keep your eyes down there” the inquisitor points downwards to a large landing bay door, it is some seventy metres diagonally away from you. The inquisitor then turns and looks up at the light installation above the door, a moment later there is a popping sound and the light goes out, bathing you all in shadow “that’s better, but be careful when you peek.”

As you wait in eager anticipation Maud instructs you further “Listen up, Slim will arrive through that door in a few minutes. I don’t know her plans but there is only one direct way to the Gallowsway from here. Through the security gates is a transport hub and from there a lift down to the lower hive. I’d suggest you make haste now to this lift, use it and wait for Slim to make her appearance in the Gallowsway, it would then be easy to follow her from there and make your plans.” She shrugs “up to you.”

After a wait of a few minutes the door below hisses open and people and a few servitors start to gather on the platform, its hard to make out much detail at this distance but most appear to be dressed in hooded brown pilgrims robes. Four are dressed in flak armour and carry weapons. The servitors appear to be haulers and carry large boxes. There are about thirty people in all. “That’s more people than I expected. They stand out at least” Maud comments helpfully.

Last edited by Carnelian on Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC   ...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC Empty

Back to top Go down

...into the fire - Chapter 2 - IC
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next