A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC

Go down 
+7
Hydrako
Wendigo Bob
Carnelian
insane935
Iron and Metal
Gurkhal
deaddmwalking
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2022 7:49 am

"And you, some might say, are too much of a prick to them," Lucius said using the Low Gothic word for penis. "A good balance, you and I, eh brother?" He gave his signature charming smile and moved to stand closer to the Carcharadon.

"It does seem odd. We are sworn enemies; the parlay itself was once in a million. I suppose therein lies our answer. To attempt to understand the minds of Chaos is folly. We will see the Strikemaster broken and torn asunder for this."

Lucius realized that his honor scroll was growing. Before, as a simple Sergeant of Astartes in Second Company, things had been easier. Attain the objective, bring glory to the forebears. Now, as part of Draco, it was complicated. Enemies slipped away. Plots were thick and deceitful. Brothers were scattered and lost. He thought of Caedmon briefly, and the bastard that was the Mortis Thule. Was the Storm Warden still alive? Still fighting? Had only a day passed for him, or aeons?

He decided not to dwell and regarded Hydrako.

"How are the lies of the Strikemaster affecting you?" He was of course referring to the accusations that the Carcharadons were the offspring of the traitorous World Eaters.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2022 4:05 pm

Hydrako blinked once at Lucius, processing the reference, then peeled his lips back over his ceramite teeth. It might have been a smile, or a display of aggression. An observer would have been hard pressed to know which. Perhaps, he uttered as he considered the notion for a moment. His head jerked suddenly from side to side. No. Your compassion far outweighs my harshness. If it weren't for me, you'd have these humans holding hands and discussing their feelings. Flowers braided in hair, painted faces, and all that drivel. Utterly disgusting, A sound escaped from the Carcharodon's maw then, for just a second, which was reminiscent of the dying breath of a wounded warrior. A laugh? A curse? None could be sure.

The fool is probably manipulating his allies for some unseen end, and we were supposed to play some part in that plan. We haven't seen the last of him, and in the end I will enjoy eating him. I may even save some for you.

He turned in place to take in their surroundings and ensure they were not overheard. His eyes scanned ruins, and arced off in the direction of the herd he was busy Culling. I am not surprised one of his ilk knows something more than outsiders should. Our Primogenitor is a closely guarded secret, known only by those higher in the chain than myself, but I doubt our genefather is that pathetic monster Angron. He is misinformed, or lying, or both. I will learn what he knows, His teeth scythed together sharpening in anticipation.

I have heard whispers that our genetic heritage is....mixed, though they are just whispers. I cannot be certain, but I know the necessity of it. When one operates past the Halo Stars as we do, and must consume everything to survive, choices are made which may seem unscrupulous to the civilised. That is why we Cull; why we take the strongest from conquered populations to replenish and move on. To stop is to die.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2022 5:27 pm

Lucius let out a small laugh at what he knew to be Hydrako's unique style of humor. It was a rarity, and like a fine wine it needed to be enjoyed. It wouldn't have been too long ago now that the Carcharadon simply would have stepped on the dead and dying to test the servos in his boots.

We all evolve.

"You forgot singing. There's power in song, you know. One of these days I will have to teach you the songs of Honourum. Ah, you'd love it there - barren mountains, brutal storms, and savage seas the depths of which are unknownable. When we get some R&R, I'll be sure to take you."

The thoughts of the Novamarine home world truly did bring a smile to Lucius' face at that moment. It had again been long since he thought on it. Perhaps this was the right time for reflection after all.

"The filth is not worthy to be digested by the likes of us. Alas, I will not deny you your meal."

The back banner of draco flapped lazily in the air as Hydrako recounted his Chapter's unknown history.

"To not know one's genefather is a difficulty I cannot begin to empathize with. Just know this, if fate has it that Angron is involved, I will happily walk beside you to the door of his fortress to tear his head from his shoulders." The smile reappeared. "That is what is means to be brothers, after all."

He cast an eyes toward the recruits. "Cull" had rung loudly in his ears, but it was not his place to judge tradition. As much as he was a protector and steward to the lowest dregs of humanity, he understood that a Chapter's aspirants had to be chosen extremely carefully. And the process was never not brutal. Such was the way of the universe. Such was necessary to preserve the legacy of the Astartes.

When he responded it was much more somber. The joviality of his tone gone. "I wish you success in the Cull. The galaxy needs more Carcharadons."

Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2022 2:10 am

If you started singing, I would have to silence you. He listened to the description of Honorum with curiosity. Being fleet based, and wiped of any memories of a home planet, the affection with which Lucius described his own was alien to Hydrako. your planet sounds...like a planet, he said bluntly. What is R and R? Is that a form of code for entering Nova Marine space? Hydrako was genuinely unsure of what the two terms meant.

Hydrako nodded at Lucius' offer to storm Angron's citadel, wherever it may be. Yes, that would be helpful, if only at least you drew his attention as I slay him.

My belief is that we are one of the lost, and our genefather one of the expelled sons of the Emperor. Were we not so dispersed around the galaxy it would be confirmed though the Imperium would not stand the revelation. So, we remain elusive and uncaring. We protect the Imperium by remaining uninvolved where possible.
he nodded towards the group of candidates. You are an outsider, but you are now my Brother. If you can stomach it, you may come and watch the...selection process at work. Watch how a Legion is built.

-----

There was pandemonium as soon as the giant turned his back and left the group. What does he mean only 20?! He said we would be saved if we stayed! We did as he said! one boy, no older than 10, wailed. He was trembling at the thought of not getting away from the fire and the ruins, which now made up his home.
He means there's too many of us and not enough space! came a reply from an older boy that stalked back from the ruins. He had been expelled once already, but clearly thought he could smuggle his way in again. He would be sorely disappointed later. He walked to the younger boy and heaved him over his shoulder. Come on, don't cry. It's going to be OK. Come with me. The younger boy went limp in his grasp and gave no fight as the older boy took him to the edge of the group. He dumped him on the ground and kicked him hard in the backside. It's going to be OK, for me coz I'm taking your spot! Get out of here before I kill you! He kicked him once more and stalked back into the group to find another victim. One down, ten to go. Five minutes later and another boy had been thrown out. He didn't move from the spot where he landed. His temple had ragged gash and the boy bled from both ears. Nine.

After the second was eliminated there was a scuffle between a group and a pair of brothers. One was being beaten while the elder tried to defend him. Fists and feet met them both, before a flash of metal sent the elder running away clutching his stomach. His younger brother was beaten and tossed out of the group. Seven.

Other skulkers warily came back to the group when they saw what was unfolding. They were looking to take advantage of the chaos and get an easy seat. They began looking for the youngest in the mob and beating or chasing them off. It didn't take long before anyone under 11 or 12 had been seen to. That left 25 candidates standing in a circle, eyeing each other. One boy bent down to pick up a rock, while another produced a piece of metal to use as a crude knife. Before long, everyone had a weapon of some kind. It was amazing how quickly the law of the wild could assert itself when given the opportunity.

Greel clenched his teeth in anger as he watched things turn ugly. From a place of hope, they had descended into barbarity. He swung his pipe into the ribs of an older boy, causing the wind to whoosh from his lungs, and the tremor of snapping ribs to ripple up his arms. He dodged a weak swing in response and sent another clubbing blow into the boy's temple. This put him out for good. Greel whirled to the find another attacker and saw a boy funning at him with a shiv, hoping to catch him unaware and stick him in the back. Greel batted the blade away and stunned his attacker with a blow to the shoulder on the return swing. A club in the shin and the wretch went down with a squeal. No one was immediately attacking him which gave Greel a moment to take in the scene around him. It was carnage. There were bleeding and injured boys littering the ground, and not one of those left standing was unharmed. Some carried obvious broken bones, while others bled from cuts and gashes. Wait! he bellowed in a voice that cracked with youth. Most of the brawlng ceased, while one pair continued to fight like ancient pit fighters of old Terra. One paused at the call, giving his opponent an opening to end the fight with a sharp whack to the head with a stone in his fist. It was a dirty move, but there were no rules. His opponent toppled to the ground and laid still. Stop! We don't need to fight anymore, he pleaded. The others in the group stared around at each other, wild eyed, chests heaving, ready to start again if anyone made a sudden move. He looked around at who was left and saw from a group of 25, they were now only eleven. We've made it. There is enough space for us, if we make sure no one else joins. We survived. He blew out a tense breath, but was horrified to see the same boy with the rock crouch down and club another. What are you doing!? Greel shouted, incredulously. The boy gave two more whacks before standing back up and shrugging.  Making sure he doesn't come back at me. I don't want to lose my place. Greel was speechless, and stood mouth agape as a moment later the other boys were doing the same, dispatching the defeated.

The giant returned the next day to survey the group he had left to devour itself. Very gooooooood, it hissed at them. He could feel the deathly chill of those cold black eyes as they swept of Greel and the others. It was measuring him, gauging, judging. Eleven from thirty seven. That will do. He pointed at the bodies that had been left nearby. Claim your first scrimshaw trophies. They mark your beginnings on the road to ascension. Then, dispose of the bodies. They are a reminder of your former selves and former weakness. Rid yourselves of their example. Or eat them. I care not. Do not leave this area, or you will be left behind to die. They were all terrified of that threat after what they had just done and been through, so none of the boys dared leave after that. They would defend the site from any newcomers with utmost prejudice. Then he left again.

Like canids to a carcass, the others descended on the bodies with their knives and blades, hacking at fingers, hands, and feet. They had no idea what scrimshaws were, but could understand what the giant meant by trophies. The could see bones dangling from his armour and could join the dots. Greel reluctantly took a middle finger, as it was the biggest piece to take that required the least amount of hacking. One of the boys went overboard and took two feet! He grinned like a maniac when he was done. Greel made sure to keep away from him. After they were done collecting they all worked together to take the bodies away from their site, but not too far away. They didn't dare venture out of sight in case the giant came back and left them...

Last edited by Hydrako on Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2022 10:10 am

Iron and Metal wrote:
Lucius nodded to Kaltrina. [color=#00ccff]
"Because that is what Novamarines do, Sapiens. In my veins runs the blood of Roboute Guilliman, and like you I am a protector of humankind. To save humanity is our ultimate mission. Here," he said with a sweep of his arm indicating the ruins of civilization they found themselves in, "We have a chance to do just that."
Honor and virtue aside, he continued: "But from the standpoint of strategy, keeping Imperial contacts alive and well here gives us something of a monitoring station. This anomaly of a planet could provide key intelligence in combatting the Tyranid scourge."

Sapiens looked at the Novamarine. Sapiens had always disliked the use of "trophies"-too many chances of transmitting contamination, too many chances that it would compromise your defenses-from shattered bones breaking void-seals to teeth lodged in joints. While it wasn't odd to see someone of ultramarine lineage be so...ostentatious-the story of trophies that screamed "REMEMBER ME" to the universe. The primitivist aesthetic was uncommon however.

We currently stand in front of an irreparably damaged ruin. If you leave them here, you doom them to the same pointless death of the rest of the population at the hands of whatever foes appear next. These people must depart in the very short term if they are to survive. They can yet fulfill their duty to the emperor.

+++

Sapiens looked on the carcharodon's arena with disgust. He understood better now why the ancient accords between his chapter and theirs insisted upon them recruiting no-one from their sector. So inneficient as well-the Argent Ultima, by infiltrating the educational systems of their sector's worlds, they had found ways to identify the best candidates-to the point that 97.3% of neophytes succeeded their implantations.

Still, Sapiens held his tongue. The carcharodons where different-no chapter-worlds, little support save that provided by the ancient compacts. They made do with what they found, and he would leave him to his ways.
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2022 1:52 pm

"Watch how a Legion is built." Hydrako's words echoed in Iovanus' mind for more than just a moment. As the words bounced around inside his head, and his eyes took in the sight of the chaos before him, Iovanus was reminded of a memory he thought he had forgotten.

"HEKTOOOOORR!!!!!" Iovanus' roar echoed through the gladiator pit, it's savagery matched by the sheer amount of blood spilled on the floor of the arena. The Luna Wolves had been deployed with the World Eaters for some time now, and this was a rare moment of downtime where the ferocity of the Wolves could be pit against the savagery of the sons of Angron. Iovanus himself had spilled blood, both his own and that of some of those sons, as two newer World Eaters lay bruised and battered on the floor. They had been easy prey for a veteran like Iovanus. Now he desired a challenge. Something to impress the more competent World Eaters that sat in the stands.

"IOVANUS!" came another roar, this time from behind a door at the arena's edge. Then, bursting through the door, came a massive specimen of a Marine, to the point where he looked like a Terminator even in normal power armour. That hulk was Hektor Eres, Iovanus' closest friend and battle-brother, who had been by his side since their gang days on Terra. "Ready to give our cousins a real fight?" he snarled, revealing a sinister white smile that barely contained his glee. "A real fight, brother? If you fought as well as you think you do, you would be a Consul by now." Iovanus' quick retort drew a few 'ooohs' from the crowd, especially from among his own legion.

Although the two battle-brothers had joined the Luna Wolves at the same time--being in the same recruitment group, no less--Iovanus had a charisma that Hektor lacked, meaning Iovanus quickly drew attention from his superiors, leaving Hektor down with the rank-and-file members of the legion. Hektor did not complain, however--he had recently joined the Destroyers of the legion, and there his destructive tendencies found plenty of release.

"Just for that, brother," Hektor retorted, flexing his muscles, "I'll take you down in two hits instead of three." Iovanus could only smirk as Hektor began to charge, and the roar of the crowd began to drown out conscious thought.

A flash, and Iovanus was drawn back to the present, the roar of brothers past replaced by the roar of Hydrako's would-be aspirants. Savage though Hydrako was (and the rest of his chapter, by extension), Iovanus knew that there was an effectiveness to be found in such methods. Some things never change. Other things, however, could not change, and Iovanus let out a small sigh in remembrance of Hektor.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 05, 2022 9:13 am

[With Sapiens]

Lucius considered the Marine-in-Chrome-Armor's words. Not one to simply disregard an opinion because it wasn't his own, he urged him on. "What would you suggest then?"

+++

[With Hydrako]

"'R&R' - Astra Militarum slang for 'Rest and Recuperation.' When you spend time with actual people, you start to learn about these things. For them, it might be spending time with loved ones or reading a data slate. For you, it is the equivalent of picking chunks of Ork out of your teeth, applying sacred oils to your weapons, or scrimshawing."

At this, Lucius pointed to his head. His mohawk needed some trimming after this outing, but his bionic finger touched a piece of skin just behind one of the twin scars that ran from his forehead to his chin, just above his left ear.

"When I return to my Chapter, I intend to relay the story of Hydrako of the Carcharadons. Here is where that story will be told."

++++++++

The selection process was brutal, but that was expected. For this, the Novamarine Sergeant had taken down the back-banner he typically wore. Even more to the point, he had reattached his battle helm. The reason he so often strode into battle without his helm was not because of hubris, but rather to inspire. He had seen the power of morale and motivation. He had seen the power of a look or a nod, a scream of hope, the resolve it spurred. It was in those moments of shared humanity that people achieved greatness for the Emperor.

This was a process devoid of humanity. This was brutality. Savagery. Man's inhumanity to man.

And Lucius respected the process.

As they walked back together, Lucius voxed over to Hydrako. "Ultimately, how many aspirants will be returning with us?"

Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 05, 2022 1:01 pm

Tomasu picked through the ruins of Tau firebases. He hoped there would be some left to tear apart, but it was for not.
The Tau seemed to have abandoned and scuttled the prefab structures, leaving scant remains behind.
It was highly doubtful they had done any experimentation here, but if not, what were they doing?

He could only guess they were trying to indoctrinate the soulless into their cult, or possibly the soulless were using them. Somehow he was sure the Alpha Legion heretics had something to do with it.
There was nothing here, the mission was done and while they had succeeded, the cost had been "high" in the eyes of Draco.
He disagreed.

Sacrificing even a million souls on a backwater to give the imperium another 100 years to prepare was a worthy cost. From all his knowledge, he was certain had they fully awoken they would have done much more than that.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 05, 2022 4:50 pm

Iron and Metal wrote:
[With Sapiens]

Lucius considered the Marine-in-Chrome-Armor's words. Not one to simply disregard an opinion because it wasn't his own, he urged him on. "What would you suggest then?"

Prepare the for survival until arrival of your vessel. Take them on as helots-deathwatch serfs if you prefer. Our vessels require tens of thousands of crew, and a fort like erioch hundreds of thousands.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2022 1:19 pm

[With Sapiens]

He considered Sapiens words, attempting to get a read on the personality of this newest member of the team. He responded evenly,"And lose the strategic advantage of a listening post on this planet? I don't think filling our ships with fresh crew members is of higher value to the Deathwatch than ensuring we have a foothold on this planet in particular. The Watch's ships and fortresses will be manned. There is an endless supply of people for that."

Lucius looked out over the wreckage and rubble, and over the survivors making ready to survive the hardships yet to come. They would serve a greater purpose.

"The Tyranid is the greatest threat this galaxy faces. They have a unified and singular purpose; there is no in-fighting; there is no politicking; there is no greed or desire outside of an insatiable hunger. If left unchecked, they will wash over us and our enemies and nothing but barren, desolate wastes will remain. If we are going to fight together, you should know who I am. You should know where my priorities lie."

Lucius was a Tyrannic War Veteran. No doubt Sapiens had heard of the war that nearly wiped out Ultramar. Eradication of the bugs was his top priority.

"And having said that, I would like to know you. I feel as though you can teach me a lot about this new menace - these 'soulless.' I am eager to learn, Sapiens."

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2022 5:44 pm

Iron and Metal wrote:
[With Sapiens]

"And having said that, I would like to know you. I feel as though you can teach me a lot about this new menace - these 'soulless.' I am eager to learn, Sapiens."

Sapiens had to kill this curiosity. The deathwatch-the galaxy-was not yet ready to contemplate the full threat that faced them, and those who openly sought answers tended to die in unexpected circumstances. Luckily, the novamarine had made some odd choices in his argumentation.

They are one of the myriad xenos threats we must face. Strong mastery of the materium, and a notable threat to bioregenerative species like the tyrannid. The174th technomantic species I've documented in my 30 years among the deathwatch. Their current threat is insignificant however in comparison with the tyrranids. Who, based on the data I possess about hive fleets behemoth, naga and orobouros, will come here the moment they've confirmed the departure of their risk factor-the soulless. Tell me, what would occur to these people should even a single Tyrranid vessel reach this world after we depart?
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2022 12:45 pm

Lucius gave Sapiens a look and a small smirk that belied the minor annoyance of the hypothetical, baiting question.

"They will die - be reabsorbed into the Tyranid swarm. Tell me, you're 100% sure that the Soulless have left the planet entirely? You know this for a fact?"

Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2022 8:46 am

"It seems the T'au are gone with the wind, Brother Tomasu." Bleda approaches the White Scar. "And what traitor agents they may have seeded this world with were likely destroyed in the lance strike."

Bleda felt the part that the T'au played in this story had come to an end but he wondered if Tomasu would remain with them until extraction or if he would extract himself from this world before that.

"I feel I must talk with you about something when we encountered the traitors. I felt nothing as the sorcerer cast the spell for his portal and that irks me greatly. The thought that the traitors could deploy through sorcerous means without a warning to us with the Gift worries me."

And then the Destroyer adds.

"What do you intend to do now? Do you have arrangements for your extraction from this world or will you keep us company until our extraction arrives? I would welcome your company but I will not try to convince you to remain if you wish or need to leave before us."
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2022 4:23 pm

[With Lucius]
Hydrako made a shearing sound with his teeth, an sharpened equivalent of one who clicks his teeth when thinking. The idea of 'rest and recuperation' was entirely alien and abhorrent, though Lucius' description of how it would apply the to Carcharodons made it more palatable. Scrimshawing was an important part of recording ones deeds and he could draw comparisons to the Nova Marine's culture of body art. I will show you the ways of scrimshawing. It will allow you to record more deeds when you run out of parchment, though I've never been particularly adept. That is why I collect trophies. They are more...visceral. He looked at the other works Lucius had. You could even use the designs for there. His hand drifted up and tapped the bald spot Lucius pointed to.

[The Culling grounds]
Hydrako surveyed the group in silence. They were a scrawny bunch, but were building the right kind of mindset to carry them on. He watched as they cleaned the bones they had collected, cutting away tissue and crudely and leaving meaty sections. None had started to draw or carve on them yet, but that would come later. One boy, the de facto first candidate, Was using ash and grit to try and scrub his trophy clean. He did it in hurried, jerky motions as if it were hot to the touch or pestilent in some way, trying not to hold onto it for too long. His choice of sanding material left the bone blackened and scorched looking. Fitting given what it was that put him and the others in this situation.

Hydrako surveyed the mob again as they sat spaced apart from one another, glancing around quickly and warily after only a few seconds of work. There was a tension amongst them. If anyone were to move suddenly, the whole group might erupt into fighting again. Good. Time to separate the strong from the lucky. He pointed at The First, you. Stand up. Greel blinked in fear before slowly rising from his haunches. He didn't dare sit down amongst these savages. He had to be ready at all times. He stood in silence, awaiting the next command.

TBC
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2022 4:39 pm

Iron and Metal wrote:
Lucius gave Sapiens a look and a small smirk that belied the minor annoyance of the hypothetical, baiting question.

"They will die - be reabsorbed into the Tyranid swarm. Tell me, you're 100% sure that the Soulless have left the planet entirely? You know this for a fact?"

I would estimate a 78.5+/- 10% probability. But in both cases-soulless presence or tyrranid presence-these remaining inhabitants would be facing a powerful biocidal foe they are ill-equipped to fight.

Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2022 11:51 pm

Gurkhal wrote:
"It seems the T'au are gone with the wind, Brother Tomasu." Bleda approaches the White Scar. "And what traitor agents they may have seeded this world with were likely destroyed in the lance strike."

Bleda felt the part that the T'au played in this story had come to an end but he wondered if Tomasu would remain with them until extraction or if he would extract himself from this world before that.

"I feel I must talk with you about something when we encountered the traitors. I felt nothing as the sorcerer cast the spell for his portal and that irks me greatly. The thought that the traitors could deploy through sorcerous means without a warning to us with the Gift worries me."

And then the Destroyer adds.

"What do you intend to do now? Do you have arrangements for your extraction from this world or will you keep us company until our extraction arrives? I would welcome your company but I will not try to convince you to remain if you wish or need to leave before us."

"Aye" He replied in his guttural Chogoran tone. "I felt nothing either. But we were engaged with a xenos foe and I did not expect warp spawned heretics to come at us from behind. It was the grace of the khan that one we were not caught between the two."
He snorts derisively, "After he was on the field I felt that he was the biggest threat of them all, more powerful than either of us, but not both. Strikemaster be dammed. If we cross paths again, Ill gut him first."

He turns towards Bleda after kicked a Tau plasteel panel over.
"Myself and Sapiens were brought here by the Eldar. I had no inclination to return with them when I could be amongst my own kin instead." Bleda, as a distant blood relation was not sure if he meant him, or Draco.

"The only question is what happens next. When your ship returns, its supposed to be with supplies for reinforcing Castobel? It has been a long time since I hunted those spawn. I have other duties I wish to pursue, but I would not put them above that mission unless the Khan thought it necessary"
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2022 2:01 am

Hydrako swept the rest of the group for two more candidates. He pointed at a willowy youth with a gaunt face and soft sunken eyes. Coward. The boy stood up without needing a command. Hydrako pointed to another who looked to be nursing a broken arm. Weakling On your feet candidate he hissed. The rest of the group eyed the trio with a mixture of interest and jealousy. Were these three being selected above the rest for saving? Would they be spared from the next trial? They leaned forward and listened intently, waiting for the next whispered word from the giant.

You two will work together to claim your place on my ship. He pointed at Greel. He bars your path to salvation. Eliminate him and you are saved. Hydrako's eyes swept over to Greel. You must survive. Cleanse our ranks of these chaff, and you are saved. No weapons are permitted, or I will kill you all myself. Begin, he chopped his arm down and the boys on the ground scrambled out of the way to clear a space for the trio to fight. As the pair closed on Greel, they began chant and shout insults or encouragement. One candidate on the outside was unable to mask the horror on his face at having to do this again, much to the chagrin of Hydrako. Wet.

Greel couldn't believe this was happening again. Not only had he survived the first brawl, now he was being turned into sport for the rest of these fiends. He grit his teeth and steeled himself. He would not become someone else's trophy. His first target was the boy with the broken arm. He was clearly the weaker of the two and could be eliminated first. Greel shoulder charged him and barreled him to the ground. With only one arm, he was unable to fend off the sudden rush and went down with a whimper as his arm wrenched awkwardly. He was on his back with Greel prone on top, chest to chest. The boy craned his head forward and bit Greel's ear, while trying to keep him in a headlock with his healthy arm. Greel screamed and tried to shake the attack off, but the boy would not let go. He grabbed the boy's broken arm and was answered with a howl of pain which released the hold on his ear. As he lurched back up, we was clubbed in the back of the head by the willowy youth who had stood by frozen until then. Greel went sprawling over top of the injured boy. They tussled and rolled around in the dirt, but Greel was too strong and got the boy into a headlock. He tried to merely choke the boy out, but again he bit Greel and this time came away with a chunk of his forearm. Greel tightened his grip to speed up the process while weathering kicks from the second boy, but as his body lurched aside from a kick to the ribs he felt the injured youth's neck snap. He had no time to consider what he'd just done and rolled the body off him to block the next blow. He rolled away into a crouch before springing into a spear tackle, taking the final boy to the ground. He rolled on top and rained blows down on his face and neck. Greel gave in to the rage he had been suppressing during this entire ordeal and could feel it boiling over his vision. He didn't stop until his body heaved for breath and his arms were leaden. He rolled off and lay on his back until he could recover his wits. Get up First Candidate, or I will pit another pair against you. There is no room for weakness here. Not anymore. Greel heard the whispered command circle his ears, before his brain fully registered the threat. Suddenly he was lurching to his feet to avoid another trial and make the pain stop. He saw the two bodies at his feet, one with his head at an awkward angle and the other almost unrecognisable from the shoulders up, and heaved the meagre contents of his stomach onto the ground. Get out of the ring, the giant whispered again. Greel stumbled away and ignored the other trials, unable to stomach any more savagery. You two. Get in the ring. Same rules... he heard the giant command. And so the group was Culled again. And again. And again. And again.

By the end of the trial, Hydrako was left with five candidates. The strongest, most savage, and dirty were left, though the First Candidate still refused to sink to such levels of barbarity. He fought simply for survival. Stay here. If you stray, you will be left on this planet to die. Survive until I return. With that, Hydrako left the group, Lucius in tow.

"Ultimately, how many aspirants will be returning with us?"
Enough, Hydrako answered simply.
Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2022 6:35 am

[Bleda and Tomasu]

Bleda agrees in regards to the sorcerer.

"I am glad to hear you will keep Draco company, as is your feelings about the Eldar. The interest Brother Sapiens showed in them is not wholesome and I am happy to be rid of their presence."

"Once the ship arrives I am sure more details can be given to our continued mission. As for now, with traitors, T'au and the Soulless removed for the time being from this world, our mission will be to see if the Great Devourer will descend here or if something will continue to hold it off from attacking this world."
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2022 1:15 am

In this manner things continue for a week and a day.

Sapiens checks armor and weapons for functional damage and wounded machine spirits.
Hydrako tortures his aspirants.
Tomasu and Grimnir each brood over their own aspirations.
Lucius guides the survivors for the future.
Serephan treats injuries among the humans with the scant resources he has.
Iovanus seeks his place in this new and horrible future.
Bleda moves between his squamates, gauging their mental health.
Cassiel turns his paranoia to the population, keeping an eye out for any subversive behavior from Alpha Legionnaire interpherence.

Then a boom pierces the air. The survivors scatter to shanty housing and anything to hide from the return of the dreaded lance strike.
Your vox crackles with residual disruption.
"Comin' in. Clear da way."
A thunderhawk makes a wide path around the bombed out hivesprawl. In a lazy turn it finds a clearing and lands. The door opens and the ramp extends. Down it Walked a helmed Dario and Khol.

Dario stops and looks around at the devastation on display and makes a low whistle.
"Jus what happen 'ere? Dey no wanna share dey shinies?"
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2022 3:22 pm

[With Sapiens Before the Ship Arrives]

Lucius considered Sapiens calculations. He had no reason to doubt them, and did not think Sapiens would falsify the data just to prove a point.

"One way or another, no Imperial Citizen lives forever." He thought briefly to the culling Hydrako had invited him to witness.

"I have to say, if there is even a 10% chance that they remain, that means the Tyranid will avoid this planet. Having a contact here to keep tabs on the status of this planet - Soulless or Tyranid or... otherwise, is a strategic advantage for the sector. Alas, I am not in charge this go around. We should take it to Hydrako - take it to Draco."

With Sapiens in tow, he made his way to the rest of Draco. He explained the situation, his reasoning, and Sapiens' counter: "What do you think?" He asked the question to the group as whole.

++++

[With Dario]

Lucius approached and clasped the forearm of the Imperial Fist. "It is good to see, brother Dario. We've many tales to tell, and I hope you have something strong to drink and eat while we regale you with them. This mess was brought on by the arch-traitors, piss on their names and the names of their genefathers. Couldn't take the spanking Draco gave them, so they took the coward's way out."

Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2022 5:18 pm

Hydrako happened to be with the aspirants when he heard the sonic boom shock the air above them. Stand up and follow me. But keep your distance behind me, lest I eat one of you. He hissed the threat at the boys, who stood suddenly, wild eyed and nervous. Finally their salvation had arrived.

Hydrako and the group walked back to squad Draco. 50 meters from the his battle brothers, he commanded them to halt. Stay, he said over his shoulder while aiming a finger at the ground. The boys froze, but kept a sharp eye on the giant, lest he abandon them at the last moment.

Hydrako heard Lucius recount his conversation with Sapiens regarding the civilians. He spoke two words, which brooked no room for argument, They stay. He turned to the thunderhawk, ignoring any protests. It was decided in his mind.

Dario. Khol. Welcome. We have found other operatives with information the Watch Captain may be interested to hear. He glanced at Iovanus, including the long lost. Let us be gone from this place and debrief. He pointed at the First Aspirant and then the ground beside him. Come. Though the order was a whisper, it hurtled the distance between Hydrako and the Cull like a bolt round. Greel uttered a word to the other boys and they trotted over, double time, to stand in front of the group giants. Are we leaving, Lord? Greel asked hopefully. Yes. Get aboard, now. The boys bolted for the ramp and disappeared inside without a word.

-- On departure --
Squad Draco boards the Thunderhawk as Dario fires the turbines and they build for take off. Hydrako steps to the back of the troop compartment and hits the control to drop the ramp once again, beckoning the First Aspirant to join him with a jerk of his head. He walks down to stand on the bottom of the ramp, Greel on his heel. They stand and look out at the devastation that was once the capital. Greel doesn't know why they are here or where they're going, and perhaps his confusion gives him courage to ask the question, where are we going, Lord? Hydrako ignores him for a moment and continues to look at the landscape. Are we to serve on your ship? Again, he's greeted with no answer. The Thunderhawk rumbles under their feet as the power builds and the craft gently lifts off to hover a few meters off the ground. ++Dario, hold here++ Hydrako utters into the vox. He then looks down at the boy with cold black eyes, sizing him up once again. We are going to our ship in orbit to leave the system. We are done here. There will be no meaningless service on our ship for you. Greel breathes a sigh of relief at leaving this place behind. He had lost everyone, and had nothing left. This was his salvation. How old are you? the giant asks. It was an odd question, especially given the giant had first asked him that when they met. Fifteeee......... Greel suddenly feels weightless, the pull of gravity pulling the word from his throat as he realises he's falling. The air whooshes from his chest as he lands on his stomach, momentarily stunning him. He rolls over and looks up at the giant floating above him on the ramp. Those cold black eyes look down at him pitilessly, and even though the turbines of the Thunderhawk are roaring, Greel can hear the crushing finality in Hydrako's whispered condemnation. You are too old... he says with finality and disappears from view, before shutting the ramp. Greel sits stunned, as he watches the Thunderhawk and his chance at a future disappear into the sky. After everything he had been through, everything he had done, he was still stuck here shrouded in ruin...

Hydrako walked along the aisle past the remaining Aspirants and sat next to Lucius in silence. Four would be enough...
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 5:07 am

Iron and Metal wrote:
[With Sapiens Before the Ship Arrives]

With Sapiens in tow, he made his way to the rest of Draco. He explained the situation, his reasoning, and Sapiens' counter: "What do you think?" He asked the question to the group as whole.

Grimnir listened quietly, some things didn't sit well with him about these souless and the interest they'd earned from Tau, Eldar and the Traitor whoresons. The bugs 'unwillingness' to devour the planet. Things didn't seem insignificant to him. In his mind it made sense to keep an eye on things.

"Seem's someone should stay behind to keep an eye on things so why not the people who call this place home. We've encountered all kinds of xeno and traitors this past week so perhaps we should keep our nose to the wind."

On departure

Grimnir had kept to himself the past week, mostly sullen and withdrawn. He'd spied on the Sharks cull which he had found interesting, he didn't at all mind the 'barbaric' nature of it. When the newcomers arrived he stayed quiet unless directly addressed, he expected to be redeployed once he had reported back. He had no desire to be part of a pack.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 2:53 pm

Sapiens was dissapointed in his brothers. His main point-that these people would die whether there be a necron or tyrranid presence-had been ignored completely. They where not fit to keep an eye on things-they where are best simple laborers. It disappointed him, but did not surprise him. So many astartes where wasteful in his experience, not realizing the frankly colossal effort it took to keep them functional-the cost of a single bolt could feed a normal humans for a year; the cost of a single set of power armor was comparable to a small hive when the maintenance was considered in the ammortization. Wasteful in lives too -be it wasting these souls that might serve well as helots but poorly as soldiers, or hydrako's rejection of a worthy candidate for age. Sapiens himself had started the process at 15.

He sent a message to those few technically-minded he had met on-world to find & care for the boy. He could not let the carcharodon's callousness create a new enemy.

Still, he detected the signal of his workshop. His helots had done excellent work tracking him down as usual. With what he had, he'd be able to complete his artificer armor.
Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2022 11:58 pm

[Speaking with Ioavnus]

"This is our extraction. We'll see what the captain makes of your situation but if its any reassurance I will vouch for you for I can detect no corruption or treachery in your mind. And you did fight with us against the traitors so that's on the positive side."

The Destroyer does not mention the concern that Iovanus' gene-seed might hide treachery within itself. But that could not be investigated here anyway.

[To Dario and Khol]

"You're a wanted sight, brothers. We ran into some traitors and after having driven them off they tried to take revenge on us by a lance strike on the city. As spiteful and petty as always."

Bleda gestures to the ruins as he speak.
Back to top Go down
insane935
Senpai
insane935

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2022 9:11 pm

Once the dust cleared from the ramp being deployed, seeing the site up close shook what you can consider of Khols humanity. He can hear the White Scar Librarian address him and Dario but Khol kept his focus onto the devastating scene through the eye slits of his helmet. Without haste, he walks down the ramp with purpose, moving towards the closest group of imperial citizens to lend a hand. As he moved, he set up a direct channel with Lucius.

"Khol to Lucius; Hope wer not tu late, ye old chap. I'm already givin a hand to the folk unless is there somthin with more pressin issues? I heard the Tau wer here tu."

To think the Tau, here, of all places baffled Khol. If there wasn't such devastation and casualties, he would go out his way to inspect such facilities.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2022 1:06 am

Dario was impassive behind his helmet; opposite of Lucius and Hydrako seeing him out of his helmet, or even his armor, was a real rarity.
He responds to Bleda and Lucius both.
"Sounds like a mess ju guys 'ad over 'eah. I let'chu know dat we wasn't idle on owah end. "

There was a pause as he looks over the devastation once again before moving to the cockpit.
"Lot'sa stuff be happenin."

He follows Hydrako orders with confusion he hides well. After Hydrako unceremoniously boots Greel out of the ship he shrugs and closes the hatch and ascends.

As the ship breaks away from the atmosphere, Serephan approaches Hydrako and removes his helmet. His noble features and sandy hair were proof of his heritage as one of the most dedicated and loyal of chapters. He speaks low so that the aspirants couldn't hear.
"Just how long do you think it will be before we can ship these recruits back to your chapter? By the time we might be able to do that, they may also be too old for implantation. What will you do then?"

The thunderhawk breaks through the clutches of Talena's descent and into the airless void. On approach was the soulspear, the ship that was an anomaly in the numberless fleets of the imperium. It was smaller than a cobra destroyer, one of the smallest combat classes used, but it had abilities that far surpassed them. It was the perfect ship for the deathwatch, who preferred more clandestine activities.

The ship enters the docking bay and already you notice a change from before.

The ship's bay was full of heavy wargear including :2 predator tanks, A whirlwind, 6 Rhino transports, 2 Landspeeder tornadoes, 1 landspeeder typhoon, 1 lanspeeder storm, 10 Bikes, and a single land raider.
It was enough firepower to outfit a whole company. It was near unheard of for the deathwatch to use this kind of firepower. And it was all acquired by watch captain Avincus on his sojourn to watch station Arkhas.

After landing the ship, you exit onto the deck that was bustling with activity. Tech adepts and deckhands were busy prepping the gear in the bay for another trip into the warp. What was immediatly noticible was that there were astartes on this ship that were not there before.
Instantly, Grimnir recognizes members of his old hunting pack, Kill team Assura.
Calibos was in the back corner, watching your entrance onto the ship from underneath his shadowy hood.
But in front was Brother Wilbek, of the smoking fists. His face was annoyed, but he nods towards Grimnir with familiarity.
"First, you leave and join a rogue trader ship without any messages for years, then you show up hand in hand with these rejects? Did you know that it was Draco who let part of a space hulk drop on Karlack?"
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2022 9:22 am

If he had been revived only now, Iovanus would have accused his fellows of negligence of duty for the things they were saying. Had things changed so much during his time...away from things?

"It may not be my place," he started, unsure as to how the others of Draco would take his questioning, "but surely these aspirants should be taken in now, if they are to be taken in at all? Is willingness to serve the Emperor no longer worthy of ascension into our ranks?"
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2022 2:01 pm

callume26 wrote:

"It may not be my place," he started, unsure as to how the others of Draco would take his questioning, "but surely these aspirants should be taken in now, if they are to be taken in at all? Is willingness to serve the Emperor no longer worthy of ascension into our ranks?"

Brother, things have likely changed far beyond what you can imagine. Follow me once we disembark, I can inspect your kit and attempt to enlighten you.

To the whole group he said:

I would reccomend all of you bring in your kit for verification soon-the weapons the soulless use can have unusual effects; the polycrystalline matrix in your ceramite could be misaligned. It isnt a problem in the short-term, but stress fractures are easily missed by most.

As the thunderhawk opened, Sapiens smiled under his helmet. He loved the competence of his helots. His equerry, genetor Saembra DeVerres, was waiting for him.
Techna-lingua, tightband laser transmission:

After a few microseconds of laser-based communication, sapiens turned to iovanus.

Brother Iovanus, I present to you my Equerry, the Genetor Saembra DeVerres. She has 4.5 centuries of experience augmenting and treating astartes. She will be doing a full workup of you body to ensure that your millennia in stasis have had no concealed negative effects.

The genetor gave a slight bow to the Luna Wolf.

Welcome to M40 child. The future shock is only just beginning.

Sapiens clenched his teeth. The genetor had no trouble talking shop, but struggled to be...respectful. Which a lot of astartes took the worst way.
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2022 2:35 pm

Iovanus was humoured by the words the genetor spoke. It brought him comfort that dry words and speaking one's mind still had a place here. "You are perhaps the first person to speak plainly to me, without pretense or suspicion, all day, genetor. I shall surrender myself to your experience."

Iovanus then turned to Sapiens, offering him his bolter which, unbeknownst to him, was probably worth a hive world now. "To you, I offer my wargear. All I ask is that it is returned to me. Memories aside, it is all I have left of...my time."
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2022 3:58 pm

Finally one of you with a bit of sense! Well follow me kiddo. The probulator isnt functional so we'll have to rely on simple mechadendrites, but they're good enough for what needs to be done.

Sapiens let her lead the way.

My servitors will be able to remove your armor with ease and with care. It shall be returned to you in its ideal state.

The genetor guided them deep into the bowels of the ship towards the reactor-the predictable place for something with as many power-demands as his workshop.

Once they reached there it had already been fully unfolded from its base form as a standard shipping container. Every internal surface was a mirrored sheen-confusing to some, but necessary to maintain the cleanliness this delicate mechanical work required. On the outer edges was his armory, containing every weapon Sapiens had manged to craft. Power weapons galore, chainfists, lightning claws, breaching augers, bolt weapons, plasma weapons, flamers, launchers, grav-weapons, meltas, lascannons, conversion beamers, volkite weapons (a personal triumph of his), arc weapons, transonic weapons, sollex energy blades, phosphor weapons, radiation weapons, galvanic weapons, photon thrusters, sonic weapons and other more exotic human tech. On the left, in his armor stand, lied his masterwork-a nearly complete set of artificer plate. None of this to be used without express permission of course-this was merely the result of decades of maintaining his skills as an armourer, and his duty to provide his battle-brothers with the best weapons he could.

Sapiens halted the luna wolf a few meters away from the workshop.

The space is protected by a dust-repellant mag-shield. Your armour shall be removed now that its segments might be properly cleansed.

Three servitors and a tech-priest exited the workshop space.

--This one needs removal and inspection. Respect grade alpha--

The tech-priest responded:

--We comply, teacher.--

The servitors approached the astartes, long-practiced at this task, as the tech-priest brough out an empty armor-stand on 4 mechanical legs. The tech-priest began chanting in techna-lingua, followed by the servitors who repeated as a choir. They started by removing the helmet fully, even detaching the stabilising plates tied to the back of the neck. Next came came the pauldrons, each removed at exactly the same time by two different servitors. This was followed by the power pack, gently disconnecting iovanus from power and somewhat trapping him in what remained of his armor. This was followed by the breastplate, removed and placed reverently on the stand. Then came off the arm & leg plates, also removed at the same time to ensure symetry in weight distribution. Finally, the armor's "bones"-metal motors, control systems, sensorial contact where removed leaving you only with your second skin.

This is a long process however-and during this wait, Sapiens tried to answer some questions.

As to your question about those aspirant's fitness...each chapter has its own selection methods. With the treason of half the legions, there is a desire to ensure only the worthy are given an opportunity. This is complicated by the fact that our current formation-the deathwatch-recruits strictly from those who are already astartes, from descendants of all legions.

Sapiens removed his faceplate. His face was unremarkable, beyond its resemblance to a pale potato.

How about you? Do you recall your galactic coordinates when you lost consciousness? Segmentum, sector, system?
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2022 4:20 pm

Iovanus could not help but smirk at the genetor's remark--even if this 'kiddo' was undoubtedly older than she was. Iovanus followed Sapiens and his equerry dutifully, only expressing emotion on coming to Sapiens' armoury. And by the Emperor, it was a thing to behold. Iovanus had wondered if weapons and wargear could survive the ages, but Sapiens had managed to keep such relics as volkite and rad weaponry in what appeared to be pristine condition. Privately, he hoped to be able to show the rest of Draco how the wolves of old used to do things, at the height of the Imperium's power.

Once he had recovered from his child-like joy, Iovanus relaxed as Sapiens began his work. Truth be told, he was relieved to have his armour removed; maintenance would be of vital importance after so long in stasis, and Iovanus could properly stretch his limbs for the first time in ten thousand years. When Sapiens prodded him for coordinates, he struggled to remember his original assignment, remembering more the perfidious Eldar and his burning hatred of them than anything else.

"It was a dead world, out near the edge of the galaxy, in Segmentum Pacificus. We designated it Four-Alpha-Zero, since nothing was known of it at the time, but its name has likely changed by now. Either that or it is lost to the Imperium entirely. A lot can happen in ten millennia."
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2022 4:36 pm

callume26 wrote:
Iovanus followed Sapiens and his equerry dutifully, only expressing emotion on coming to Sapiens' armoury. And by the Emperor, it was a thing to behold.

I crafted all of them, as many tech-priests have done before. Much has been lost, but my chapter insists what we have musnt be forgotten.

Sapiens took the luna wolf's bolter.

This, on the other hand, is exceptional work. It almost saddens me to know this was mass-produced; what was once common is now a masterwork.

callume26 wrote:

"It was a dead world, out near the edge of the galaxy, in Segmentum Pacificus. We designated it Four-Alpha-Zero, since nothing was known of it at the time, but its name has likely changed by now. Either that or it is lost to the Imperium entirely. A lot can happen in ten millennia."

Indeed. You've travelled far though-you're in segmentum ultima, on the other side of Ultramar. Any additional questions?
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2022 4:43 pm

Segmentum Ultima? Iovanus had travelled across the galaxy--quite literally. And yet, that revelation ranked among the lowest he had received that day, and that in itself was a sobering thought. Still, Iovanus was alive either way, and thus remained a Space Marine, with a duty to fulfil, Legion or no.

"I have no further questions for now. In the meantime, however, feel free to study my bolter should you wish. I am sure a mind such as yours could gleam much from it. Call it a token of appreciation, for getting me out of that hellhole."
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2022 4:58 pm

callume26 wrote:
Segmentum Ultima? Iovanus had travelled across the galaxy--quite literally. And yet, that revelation ranked among the lowest he had received that day, and that in itself was a sobering thought. Still, Iovanus was alive either way, and thus remained a Space Marine, with a duty to fulfil, Legion or no.

"I have no further questions for now. In the meantime, however, feel free to study my bolter should you wish. I am sure a mind such as yours could gleam much from it. Call it a token of appreciation, for getting me out of that hellhole."

I shall return it to you in pristine condition. I have some theories regarding contact surface microsctructure to verify. I have something that might help you.

Sapiens took out a dataslate from his armory, fiddled with for a few seconds, then gave it to Iovanus.

This contains the precepts of Zenodeon. It has been maintained and updated by my brothers since it was written by my chapter's founder. It is reflective of his own experiences during the heresy, and his analysis since then. It may...help you understand. It is no dogmatic text, but a guide of observations, to help us find the weaknesses in our minds before they destroy us.

As Sapiens passed you the slate, the armor removal was completed, and the genetor returned.

Well, lets get that second skin off ya. Oof, it sure smells like you've been in it for 10000 years.

You are in good hands.

Sapiens returned to his workshop.

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2022 4:39 am

Sylphilis wrote:

After landing the ship, you exit onto the deck that was bustling with activity. Tech adepts and deckhands were busy prepping the gear in the bay for another trip into the warp. What was immediatly noticible was that there were astartes on this ship that were not there before.
Instantly, Grimnir recognizes members of his old hunting pack, Kill team Assura.
Calibos was in the back corner, watching your entrance onto the ship from underneath his shadowy hood.
But in front was Brother Wilbek, of the smoking fists. His face was annoyed, but he nods towards Grimnir with familiarity.
"First, you leave and join a rogue trader ship without any messages for years, then you show up hand in hand with these rejects? Did you know that it was Draco who let part of a space hulk drop on Karlack?"

Grimnir picked up the scents of his former kill team as he walked down the landing ships ramp. As he walked towards them he unconsciously scratched at his scabbed face which his advanced phisyiology was healing well, he would be even prettier than before and bear the mark of the massacre to his own death. “I go where ordered as you know, did you pine for a letter from me pup.” He asks Wilbek with a half smile. “As for Draco, we crossed paths. Assisted each other”

Standing before Assura Grimnir gave a quick head count to see if there were any missing brothers as he does so he answers the question given “I’d heard the news about Karlack but not that Draco was involved. Seems they leave a big impression wherever they go.” His gaze settles again on Wilbek “Why you so sour looking?”
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2022 3:57 am

Wilbek crosses his arms. He smiles but Grimnir finds no joy in it.
"Sounds like a run of bad luck for both of us then." he replies.
"First, you gotta work with the upstarts, then we do. This next one should have been ours and ours alone."
As more of Draco files out of the thunderhawk, he clicks his tongue before leaving.
That left only silent and shadowy Calibos in the corner.

"Weh, da watch captains gonna wanna debrief ju an awl. We awl gon be there. Big splash in''da area. Sum ol friends." Dario says.

He points to Sapiens, "an yew! Jus how do yo' minions be findin' us outta da blue? Dey took 2 days claiming a part of da soulspear fo yo own personal use. Cappin wa'no too happy bout Dat one."
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2022 4:39 pm

Grimnir frowned, the thought of working with both kill teams rankled. He'd been in his element stalking the Tau, content on his own. It would have been a significant challenge and Draco had ruined his careful made plans weeks in the making. Draco's involvement had escalated things, he would have eventually found his opportunity to sneak in but the results were all that mattered at the end of the day. He just hoped that his prize the Tau dataslate had what the rogue trader needed. He wouldn't at all be surprised if it had to do with the soulless.

He had built up some affinity with Assura, even a lone wolf like he still bound with a pack after a time and he'd spent more time with Wilbek and the others than Draco. "Are the brothers absent well?" he asked of Calibos inquiring after Stavross and anyone else from Assura not present.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 3:03 pm

insane935 wrote:
As he moved, he set up a direct channel with Lucius.

"Khol to Lucius; Hope wer not tu late, ye old chap. I'm already givin a hand to the folk unless is there somthin with more pressin issues? I heard the Tau wer here tu."

To think the Tau, here, of all places baffled Khol. If there wasn't such devastation and casualties, he would go out his way to inspect such facilities.

"Good to see you again, Khol." Lucius approached with a quick outreached fist for Khol to bump in greeting. "I'm afraid you are. Well too late to do much to help here, but just in time to help us move to whatever the future holds. I've set these people up as best as I could given the circumstances. I'm hoping they will provide some valuable intelligence as a listening post. Not all agree, however. We'll debrief on the bird."

Lucius was glad to see the Raptor again. He was as witty as he was deadly. A good combination.

+++++++

Moving with the team, Lucius made a quick signal to the survivors in regard to Greel. He gave them a brief description, and gave instructions to feed and water him well and put him to use as part of the defense force.

Arriving on the ship, Lucius listened to the apparent members of Grimnir's previous Kill Team begin to chide and deride like children. He gives a nod to Sapiens to have his armor checked, but sticks around to see how this situation with Grimnir played out. As it gently died like a candle, and only after KT Assura had made their exit, Lucius approached Grimnir.

"Looks like the petty rivalries never end, be it standard human or Astartes. He smiled and shook his head. I just wanted to say that you fought well out there. I know my brothers in Draco appreciated all the help we could get, Space Wolf. You do your chapter proud." With that, he departed.

Last edited by Iron and Metal on Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 10:54 pm

Carnelian wrote:
Grimnir frowned, the thought of working with both kill teams rankled. He'd been in his element stalking the Tau, content on his own. It would have been a significant challenge and Draco had ruined his careful made plans weeks in the making. Draco's involvement had escalated things, he would have eventually found his opportunity to sneak in but the results were all that mattered at the end of the day. He just hoped that his prize the Tau dataslate had what the rogue trader needed. He wouldn't at all be surprised if it had to do with the soulless.

He had built up some affinity with Assura, even a lone wolf like he still bound with a pack after a time and he'd spent more time with Wilbek and the others than Draco. "Are the brothers absent well?" he asked of Calibos inquiring after Stavross and anyone else from Assura not present.

Calibos nodded silently under his hood. He had no love for space wolves in general, and his tendency to randomly dissappear mid mission always caused problems, but he got along well enough with Grimnir.
"Yes. We had a difficult time in the Archeros salient with some Iron Warrior filth. They were tough to dislodge from a fortified outcropping. In the end we left it a crater. Your skills would have been handy in setting sapping explosives. We made do. They are all here-present and accounted for."
His face, stony and unreadable as ever, sat crouched in the shadow of his hood. Grimnir could see the features cloacked in shadow. His gaze flickered to Cassiel.
Being a Consecrator made him a successor chapter to Cassiel's Dark Angels, inasmuch as the blood relation between Tomasu and Bleda. But Grimnir detected something...more.

From a distance, Cassiel spies his distant cousin, but does not give any hint of recognition or care.

"Excuse me, Nose [a nickname he had given Grimnir during thier time is Assura. It was neither a sneer nor a name of affection] but a pressing matter just came to my attention. "
Without waiting for a reply, he turns and leaves.
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2022 2:54 pm

Hydrako waited for the rest of Draco to disembark before he led the rest of the aspirants off the Thunderhawk. With a glare and a jerk of his head, he bade them follow down the ramp. The four boys warily, and quietly followed in his wake, careful not to get too close to the giant in black.

He came to a stop at the back of the group to listen to the Wolf Scout and Assura exchange pleasantries. While they spoke, he turned his back on Assura and spoke to the Cull. One. Two. Three. Four. These are your new designations. Your names are irrelevant. You will be given new names if you reach ascension. The boys baulked at the word ascension. What did that mean? None dared ask. Hydrako swept his gaze around the cargo bay for a serf. When his eyes landed on one, the man positively shrank before him. You, he whispered across the space. Take these aspirants to the brig. Now. The last word made the serf jump like a peel of thunder going off above his head. He trudged across to the boys and grabbed one by the arm. Suddenly seeming like he had control, given he was shepherding children, he found his voice. Come with me, you lot. I'll find you your billets...He tried to sound authoritative and gruff, though he didn't dare look up at Hydrako as he led them away.

Hydrako ignored the rest of the conversation between Grimnir and Assura. No doubt they would all meet again on the bridge during the debrief. Hydrako spoke over the vox as he left the cargo bay, We must debrief. Let us head to the bridge and find out why we are penned in with Assura.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 4:15 am

The halls echoed suddenly with gongs and ceremonial cymbals, followed by a summons to the war rooms for all astartes.

Even on the way there you notice the arrival of Assura and others. They filter along with yourselves into an audience chamber that had been changed into the war room for this debriefing. There were stout tables lined with some 20 chairs for you scattered about the concentration of the room. A hololithic display had been moved to the center and heavy cabling snaked its was along the ground to the unit. Above it more cabling and conduit line had also been hastily bolted into place. Scattered about were maps, both astrological and terrestrial. Along with these were scrolls and heavy tomes that filled the air with an ancient, decrepit musk that lined the air. To combat this, servitors milled about slowly, casting censors to and fro with acrid incense from armless sockets.

At the center of it all was Watch Captain Avincus, and another Watch Captain you've yet to meet. They both wore upon their right shoulder plate the mark of the ultramarine.
Iovanus was beset by glares most unfriendly, though the watch captains only started with a modicum of hostility. Assura takes their seats and you notice more Astartes than even they. For one, Master of the Apothecarion Kriegor Than was here. His unflappable Red Scorpion emblazoned proudly on his pauldron. What could have dragged such a high ranking master off of Erioch could only be of the greatest import.

Along the sides of the room were clustered servitor adepts - record keepers whos mouths had been replaced with spools of paper which fed into type casters worn on the front of their chests. Their fingers had been replaced with long, spiny appendages which worked feverishly at the keys on the type casters. Also present was Micah Curas, Ironbound as his code name was. Next to him was the young PDF child soldier, Mag, who clung to Ironbound's side as if he was her father. He glared disapprovingly at Hydrako when he arrives, though holds back his Ire.
Tomoi Farosh, captiain of the Soulspear was also present. He never wore any mask besides a scowl so he fit in with all members present. Also there was Makradon and Albrect.

Avincus clears his throat, the sound echoing through the room and signaling that the meeting was coming to order.

With a fictitious smile, the says sardonically, "Many times I have sent my fellows to missions and found myself with less afterwards. I can say honestly that this is the first time I sent brothers on a mission and had them returned in greater numbers."
The smile drains from his face, "But The planet is in shambles. What happened down there?"

Before the report can be given, the other watch captain intercedes, "Do we all know each other here? I see faces both familiar and not. Tomasu." he says with a slight nod.

Avincus replies, "Forgive me. This is watch captain Vario. A brother in blood and deed. As you may or may not know, he is the once brother Sergeant of the esteemed Imperator squad. Now in command of Assura and 3 others."
Vario adds on to that, "I also served with Tomasu and Erradius there." Motioning towards the brother-Techmarine towards the back.

"And for those of you who do not know, I am Watch Captain Avincus, of the same chapter though a different company. I am over kill team Draco and 4 others. Before we get started, who are the ones who returned from the planet with you? I know enough of Tomasu to recognize him, but not of the rest of you."
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 3:35 pm

Sapiens stepped forward.

Choir-leader Sapiens Ialysos. Argent Ultima. I was requested to take a 4th term of service and be transferred here for my expertise in technomantic xenos.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 3:23 pm

Lucius nodded to those he knew. He waited for Hydrako, as Draco's elected command to introduce and debrief as necessary.

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2022 2:32 pm

Iron and Metal wrote:

Arriving on the ship, Lucius listened to the apparent members of Grimnir's previous Kill Team begin to chide and deride like children. He gives a nod to Sapiens to have his armor checked, but sticks around to see how this situation with Grimnir played out. As it gently died like a candle, and only after KT Assura had made their exit, Lucius approached Grimnir.

"Looks like the petty rivalries never end, be it standard human or Astartes. He smiled and shook his head. I just wanted to say that you fought well out there. I know my brothers in Draco appreciated all the help we could get, Space Wolf. You do your chapter proud." With that, he departed.

Grimnir gave Lucius a wry smile and a nod "Rivalries can help spur us on to greater feats although I get ya point pup. Will be interesting to see how we all work in the field together if thats whats to come" the 'pup' was said off hand and didn't seem to be said in a derogatory way, just a quirk perhaps. "ere' have this back." he hands back the witchbolt mag with one bolt expended "got a shot off but tha bastard had a energy shield, was a shame as it would have spoilt his face" Grimnirs expression remained mostly neutral although his eyes betrayed some appreciation to those who might notice it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I be Grimnir, was sniffin' out the Tau and came across Draco" was all he said as an introduction. His fangs likely gave his chapter away and his kit his specialisation. He cared not to speak any further, unless at least he was addressed directly. His gruff and silent manner did not display how he truly felt though, he was eager to learn more on what was afoot. He smelt glory to be had, something big... he may be a withdrawn grump but he was still a Space Wolf. He craved glory; a great saga be written about his feats to be told by the skalds in the great hall of the Fenris chapter fortress.

There wasn't often much glory to be had skulking in the shadows he mused, blowing xenos brains out with little effort. Sneaking through their lines, cutting a few threads and completing whatever objective within. Such things on his own took time, this was the necessity of things when you hunted alone and getting the mission complete was all. Unconsciously he sneers a little as he looks between Draco and Assura; if both were deployed and he (Grimnir didn't see himself as belonging to either at the moment) then he wouldn't have time for carefully laid plans. Perhaps he'd done his power armour for whatever was to come, he relished the extra power it gave him and he'd still give a Raven Guard pause to how quiet he could be.
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 11:57 am

'Watch Captain'? Perhaps it is a variation of the title of Praetor? I am aware that the other Legions had such traditions. Iovanus mused privately. If the figures before him held the authority that deserved the obedience (most of) Draco was giving them--and Iovanus' instincts told him he could begin to trust Draco's now--then it was time to start perhaps the second riskiest conversation that he had made this millennium. Iovanus stepped forward a little, remaining close enough to Draco if he needed to be backed up, and prostrated himself before the Watch Captains.

"My name is Iovanus Dror, Veteran Tactical Marine of the Luna Wolves. I was recovered from xenos machinations, both literal and figurative, by Draco. Although they have not found me wanting, I submit myself to your authority and judgement."
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 1:55 pm

Grimnir scowled at the prostrated Iovanus, he disliked the submission although the poor lad was a bit shell shocked. "On yer feet pup, you stand before brother warriors and not the Emperor on His throne." he chided. If what he claimed was true it was an world shattering thing to wake up to.

"Hydrako and I found him, suspended in some xeno stasis field in the metalmens fortress, err.. the Souless Sapiens calls em'" he was not entirely sure why he defended the Luna Wolf, although it was because Iovanus was an outsider like he was to the wolf packs. "If what he's told us it true he was captured by these souless before Horus turned."
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 4:03 pm

---with Seraphan---

Hydrako regarded the statement from Draco's Apothecary. He made a strong point, but almost instantly Hydrako responded, then they are no use and will be discarded appropriately. He had been brooding about the use of Tychon's geneseed in the times between checking on the Cull. There was one aspirant that would be useful if he were to be sent away for implantation. However, sending five into the Outer Dark would be a waste, given the nomadic nature of the Predator Fleets. They would surely never arrive. Kriegor Than at Erioch may have more input. Perhaps there was a way to create Marines there, with his expertise. What is your experience with the implantation process?

---Debrief---

After the introduction of Iovanus and Sapiens, Hydrako began his report, his low voice reaching all corners of the room. He recounted the meeting with the Planetary Governor and the lack of useful data from his advisors.

There was no identifiable threat of genestealer infiltration to obstruct us, merely incompetence or ignorance. We went into the jungle, tracking a signal from a suspected Inquisitorial agent, where we encountered Tomasu, Sapiens, and Grimnir. They were working with two Eldar, of both breeds. We learned of a cell of Traitor Astartes, and a new foe called the "Soulless" on the planet, as well as a caste of Tau. It was Sapiens' hypothesis, and later confirmation, that the presence of the Soulless were why the planet had been bypassed by the Tyranids. The Tau were trying to wake the Soulless and succeeded in making things worse. We prioritised finding the Soulless as they were the likely link between all factions. Draco eliminated a Tau firebase, while Grimnir recovered data he was looking for. As we progressed towards our objective of an entry point, we were forced to parlay with the Traitors for a time in order to pursue our mission of halting the waking process. Upon entering the catacombs, my squad was separated and that was how we chanced upon Iovanus in stasis. I brought him into our service and he performed as required, despite the strangeness of his new surroundings. The three of us were able to link up with the rest of Draco just as a meeting of Soulless commanders were meeting. They were defeated in short order and their catacombs brought down. Sapiens has the data on what we faced and how it was eliminated. It will be useful in the archive later as we face them more often in the future. The traitors tried to bar our egress and attacked us while we were focused on the Soulless. Draco routed them and we were able to escape before becoming buried ourselves. We returned to the hive in time to see the traitors level it from orbit. They were...upset that we had not kept to our word and left them to their plans. It was a craven act of retaliation, which we were not aware they had the capability to execute. The survivors were gathered together, and an Interim-Planetary Governor appointed. They are looking to secure their survival now.

He looked at the rest of the squad. Speak, if I have missed anything.

Last edited by Hydrako on Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 6:20 pm

Thank you, brother. I've done a full threat analysis report that I will shall turn over to the librarius. I'll pass over the xenology, and focus on their threat level.

The goal here was to not lie, but reveal nothing substantial. Every person who realised the true scale of the threat-who realised this wasnt just another one among millions of minor xenos species-would be in grave danger. Even bringing that single scarab on board left me nervous; I'd done my best to shield it from every signal and energy I knew of, but who knows how else the soulless might detect it.

Evidence suggests these xenos manipulated the t'au to ensure their defence. Their facility was deep subterranean, undetectable from the surface, and warehoused thousands of units. They possess a high mastery of the materium's physics, including non-warp teleportation. Fully awakened, they could likely wipe this world of life. The eldar appear to consider them a threat.

However, based on observation of their reactivation process, and large number of full storage spaces, the vast majority of their units remained dormant, and likely would have for months or years. Their decision to self-destruct is also perplexing; where they prioritising destroying us, trying to prevent tracking, or trying to hide information? Considering the vast resources lost, it puts into question their mental acuity. Their heyday was likely long before mankind, and no machine can truly escape entropy.

Due to these factors, I’d rate them as a D+ threat to the jericho reach. That conclusion should be reviewed should other systems are found to be avoided by the Tyranids. Though considering how rare that is, the "Soulless"-or species XQ91301HH based on the Barkermen system- are likely quite rare.

That should suffice. No denial or minimization of the threat, but a threat of situationally low magnitude-which in the mid-term they where. There was never enough resources to truly address these.

I will note that their status as a technomantic species is a likely reason the tyrranids avoided this system. As demonstrated with the Tchilban’e of Sognus IV, they will avoid technomantic species due to the more limited early biomass recovery preventing the hive from establishing a solid beachhead. Most of this world’s biomass is plant & single-celled organisms-the last of the biomass only typically consumed once all threats are eliminated.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 7:52 pm

This news was a lot to take in for the watch captains.

Avincus starts.
"Perhaps we should send for a magos biologis to scour the area for any trace of-"

"No." interrupts Tomasu, drawing the ire of his old sergeant Vario.
"What Sapiens is saying is for this room only. We need all traces of the mission stricken from the records. Censored to and redacted to the highest degree possible. Threat level extremis."

Tomasu and Avincus each stared each other down icily. It was Avincus who responded,
"By what and who's authority?"

Tomasu clears his throat,
"Watch Captain Matthias' authority......"

The furious typing of keys from the servitor adepts stopped as they stared at Avincus for orders. After a second, he nodded and they resumed.
"Matthias? Where is he? You are not the watch captain and are not going to be giving any orders on this ship in his name. I will not have any intrigues sully my name, or any of my kill team's name. The records will show the full incident for better or worse."

Tomasu did not respond, he simply kept his bellicose half stare.

During the exchange, Vario said nothing. He already knew Tomasu well enough to know he was already up to his neck in intrigues and shadow operations. At least now he knew Matthias was the one behind it.  He partially spared a look to Erradius to see what he might think of this as they were both from Imperator and Erradius had been the closest member to the stormser.

"I would like to hear more from the Luna Wolf." came an unknown voice from the room. All eyes turned to see Ezu Ghraile seemingly materialize from a dark corner. She stroke down the aisles in he golden armor whie a regally purple cape trailing behind. She stepped up to Iovanus. He was a head taller than her, and she was already short for a human, but the power armor helped minimize that distance.
"Well met, Iovanus. Forgive our bickering for a moment. Your story is incredible. I am interested very much in the soulless' ability to keep the tyranid menace at bay; but Ive never heard of a situation similar to yours. Im sure you have been told that all may not be welcoming here, I dont blame you for not understanding why. When you have a chance I would like to hear your story, and tell you much of why so many will be hostile."

Iovanus could not deny her skills in diplomacy were on a level above most other people. You fell he could at least give her the time she requested, you weren't even sure if it was a request you could deny based on the authority she seemed to carry here amongst the praetors.

Vario directs a question at her. "What say you about the White Scar's request?"
She turned her attention away from IOvanus and walked casually towards a seat on the edge of the proceedings.
"Matthias has many friends in the ordos xenos. Politicking will most likely get him what he wants regardless. I don't wish to get on the bad side of some of my fellow inquisitors."
"And besides," she said as an afterthought. "Avincus has the ultimate authority on the issue here, and he has made his stance pretty clear."
That seemed to settle it, at least for Vario and Avincus.

Vario then takes the lead, moving things along. "I look forward to hearing more. The alpha legion seem to act in ways that counter their own motives. My chapter has been at their heels for millennia, even back to when Route Guilliman slew Alpharius-"
"Ju mean Dorn. I's k. Common Mistake." Dario said from further back.
Vario nodded, "My point exactly. So what do we do concerning these few thousand left. They'll not last on their own long without going primitive."
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2022 10:29 pm

Hydrako was first to answer Avincus. Leave them. They will survive, or they will not, but we haven't the resources to make any sort of impact on their situation. We must remain undetected. The Alpha legion know we are here, but not where or what this ship is. We should proceed with our mission.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next