A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC

Go down 
+7
Hydrako
Wendigo Bob
Carnelian
insane935
Iron and Metal
Gurkhal
deaddmwalking
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyMon May 09, 2022 11:09 pm

With nothing left to say, the Eldar simply vanished into the jungle leaving you at the edge of a verdant garden, and a desolate wasteland.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyTue May 10, 2022 7:56 am

Lucius watched as they left, committing the meaning - if not the words - of the legend to memory. It would need to be recorded in the Libris. While the book focused mainly on tactics and strategy, Lucius knew that this bit of lore had a deeper meaning for the fight ahead against the Soulless.

A gentle breeze blew the back banner he wore lightly. The heavy material had more scorches and tears, but the symbol of Draco stood proudly. This group was becoming a well oiled machine, and the command-sergeant in Lucius was already going through the newest additions strengths, weaknesses, and where they excelled in battle.

He particularly noted Sapiens level headedness to exfiltrate. It was something he would mention later, but the mission was still active.

"Gear check," he said simply. He turned to Hydrako and began checking the back of his armor and powerpack, knowing that someone else would be doing the same to him. When he was finished, he checked his front combat webbing, armor integrity, and vitals.

He made sure to slam his bionic fist into both Hydrako's and Bleda's. It was his sign of affection. He had fought side by side with both of them at length on this mission, and they had all excelled together. There would be time for talking later, but small gestures were a part of Lucius' charm. Something he had picked up working among Guardsmen long before.

+++

While he waited for orders, he turned to the newest addition to the squad. Here was a marine in regalia and colors he had only seen in top-secret pict feeds and neural-indoctrination. Clearly, this Astartes was not deemed a threat by the rest of the team, and indeed had just fought with and walked the Webway with them. It was time to make a quick introduction.

He clamped his fist over his heart; it was an archaic salute, popular before the official Aquila salute, but some Novamarines still practiced it.

"Sergeant Lucius Vorenus, Novamarines Tactical."

Lucius PC Page for Cal to read the physical description::

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyTue May 10, 2022 9:30 am

Before the departure of the Eldar, he had a brief aside with them. He took out a small hexagonal piece of metal out of his pack; in the center, a series of geometrical shapes kept shifting.

Take this. It is held by others in the galaxy fighting the ancients. This is no promise of alliance; simply a way to be aware if one is facing someone with a shared foe. It is of Jokaero make and has a range of 1 light-second.

Sapiens put it in Muse's hand before he could respond and returned to the other battle-brothers. Those he had met likely had transport. With the enemy at least temporarily out of commission, he was free to assist in their priorities.
Back to top Go down
deaddmwalking

deaddmwalking

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyTue May 10, 2022 1:06 pm

"Well, that was fun," Cassiel observed dryly, "Do you think our actions will have an impact on whether the Tyranids now attack?"  The escape of the Chaos marines rankled and while he would prefer the hive fleet failed to notice this source of biomass, he wouldn't say no to the chance to shoot a few to relieve the frustration.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyTue May 10, 2022 5:04 pm

deaddmwalking wrote:
"Well, that was fun," Cassiel observed dryly, "Do you think our actions will have an impact on whether the Tyranids now attack?"

It would fit Tyrranid standard procedure, assuming they become informed of the removal of the Soulless threat. As I am unaware of the Tyrranid's methods of collecting information, I would say the probability has increased, though to what is indeterminable

Sapiens had no need for an equipment-check. Every machine-spirit around him shared their awareness and everything that remained unused was present-though he took the time to reload all weapons.

+++

With the basics taken care of, Sapiens followed Lucius Vorenus to the newcomer, the "Luna Wolf". The armor-MK4 Maximus, standard issue during the great crusade-attested his age; Sapiens had never met a suit of Maximus armor who's machine spirit felt so...youthful. Though his origin remained unknown. The colors of his armor-black & grey-where not rare enough to indicate his origin; the Wolf & crescent was descriptive, but offered no more information. In his studies of that era, he had heard that some legions had held different names; his primogenitors had held the name "Stormwalkers" before finding the Iron Hand.

Sapiens Ialysos, son of the Iron Hand, astartes of the Argent Ultima. You must be from the early crusade era-the lack of historical information on your legion likely stems from the name-change it underwent when your primarch was eventually found. The end of the crusade era forced a tactical shift from large, offensive legions to smaller, more adaptable independent chapters. Those who still stood at the end of Horus's betrayal divided into chapters under the guidance of the Avenging Son-this one's primarch. (Sapiens nodded towards Lucius) This seemed like the most salient information to clear up our lack of clear legion belonging. I have significant, though not absolute knowledge of Imperial history and the early imperial era. If you have any further questions, I will endeavor to answer them as best I can.

Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyTue May 10, 2022 5:25 pm

Tomasu looks sharply at Cassiel,
"Tyranids? Where is this planet anyway? What salient are we in?"
Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 11, 2022 4:29 am

Bleda glares after the Eldar, and spares a bit of glaring for Sapiens as well. Fraternizing with Xenos was no positive trait. But he kept his mouth shut about it.

The Destroyer is however happy to acknowledge Lucius. Nothing bound Astartes together more than the fires of battle, especially against the traitors.

"We'll have to see if the Tyranids show up soon and the Tau should also still be on this world." Pulling out the cartograph he had brought along, Bleda turns to Hydrako. "I figured you might want to have a look on what route to take from here, squad leader."

And after that he adress their newest ally.

"But I suppose I should introduce myself as well." Bleda adress the Astartes in the archaic power armour. "Librarian Bleda of the Destroyers Chapter."
Back to top Go down
deaddmwalking

deaddmwalking

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 11, 2022 5:55 am

Responding to Tomasu, Cassiel explains, "We are on the surface of Talena's Descent, a jungle planet in the Jericho Reach, with a single hive of approximately one billion humans. The planet has been in the warp shadow of the Dagon fleet for weeks, but remains unsullied. I confess I do not understand whether the presence of the soulless held them at bay, but if it did, our recent actions may attract their attention."
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 11, 2022 9:56 am

Iovanus had only heard scant rumours of the Webway through which he and his erstwhile companions had just travelled. Eldar encounters were rare even during the Great Crusade, but the opportunity to travel through their elusive Webway was almost certainly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Nevertheless, it was a disorienting experience, almost as disorienting as waking up ten millennia in the future. Iovanus had really been through the ringer lately.

As he began inspecting his bolter, silently thanking the Emperor that it had survived his apparent incarceration in good working order, Iovanus heard Lucius speak to him, offering a salute that reminded him of one of the salutes the old legions used. Perhaps these Chapters are not far removed from the legions after all, he mused.

"Iovanus Dror, Veteran Sergeant of the Luna Wolves, however I doubt my rank will hold now." Iovanus returned the salute, before turning to Sapiens, who appeared to be the resident Techmarine of the group. "If there is time, Sapiens, I ask that you inspect the machine-spirits of my armour and bolter. They seemed to work fine in battle, however there is no telling what ten millennia of imprisonment have done to them. As for learning what I missed, I have but one question that is important: what has become of the Emperor?"

Last edited by callume26 on Wed May 11, 2022 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 11, 2022 10:11 am

Lucius took a mental note that Sapiens did not turn to inspect the gear and pack of the battle brother to his right. He cared not that the Techmarine knew full well his own equipment readouts, it was about ensuring the man next to you was good-to-go. He saved it as something to address later.

Unit cohesion was everything in a mixed lot like this.

"Veteran Sergeant," Lucius nodded back, acknowledging the title. He decided to add a bit on Sapiens' comments. "'The Avenging Son' is Primarch Roboute Guilliman. The Novamarines are genesons of the Ultramarines. There is much to discuss, and the time to do it is not now."

He spared a glance at Sapiens and then nodded again to Iovanus before taking a position nearby. "We are still on the clock, Draco. Look alive."

While he awaited Hydrako's orders, he clicked over to Cassiel on the vox. "If we find any squishy enemies on the way home, you get first bite." He smiled devilishly over at Draco's Devastator.

Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 11, 2022 11:19 am

Guessing from Lucius' urgency, Iovanus surmised that Draco's assignment was more than simply happening upon him in a Necron stronghold. "Understood, Sergeant. What is our objective, beyond showing the enemies of the Imperium our ferocity?"

Rather than stare waiting for an answer, Iovanus attempted to initiate himself into the squad proper, and joined in on the gear-checking ritual. Fewer Astartes must mean more care needs to be taken, I gather.
Back to top Go down
deaddmwalking

deaddmwalking

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 11, 2022 11:35 am

"Ferocity and good looks." offers Cassiel, taking off his helmet, giving the lie to his statement. "It seems wherever we go, we find and adopt a few lost angels, but trust doesn't come easily to those who have been betrayed before." Cassiel has always been taciturn by nature, but he is making an effort to be more communicative in the style of Lucius. If nothing else, being social would make it harder for any Alpha-Legion infiltrators to keep up their lie. Now that the immediate danger was past, it was time to take the measure of every Marine in the company before revealing too much of future plans. With obvious effort, Cassiel gives the newcomers a broad grin.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 11, 2022 1:58 pm

Sapiens responded to Iovanus.

Brother Lucius is correct. We will discuss the Emperor when I have time to inspect your armor.

Sapiens took out his bolter and spun up his augur array. He took out the T'au receiver he had scavenged before and started to hack into it again.

Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 11, 2022 4:40 pm

"Before we carry out extermination against the worst xenos of all, I must insist we examine this....Luna wolf, with every scrutinizing tool at our disposal. I will be able to test his genetic purity and any taint from exposure. Bleda, are you able to assist?"
Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 11, 2022 9:13 pm

"Of course, brother." Bleda is also a but curious about this new Astartes.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyThu May 12, 2022 7:29 am

Lucius had expected that the librarians among them would be thorough with Iovanus, sooner rather than later. He kept an eye out, confident that if Iovanus was in fact tainted, he would be dealt with swiftly and immediately.

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyThu May 12, 2022 9:53 am

Sapiens left the librarians to test for taint; ultimately, he wasnt a techsorcist, so he would be of no help. For now, he detected no signs of the T'au, which was odd. He started scanning for imperial frequencies; more data was needed. The PDF signals could still be caught, so we werent dealing with jamming.

Brothers, I've been scanning coms, and while I still hear allied coms, there is nothing from the T'au. Which is suspicious, as they are a highly tech-dependent species. Their silence might be a precursor for an attack.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyFri May 13, 2022 1:17 am

Wendigo Bob wrote:

It would fit Tyrranid standard procedure, assuming they become informed of the removal of the Soulless threat. As I am unaware of the Tyrranid's methods of collecting information, I would say the probability has increased, though to what is indeterminable

"Yer think the soulless threat has been removed or just put back to sleep?" Grimnir wasn't convinced that something that could hold a Tyranid invasion back could be so easily disposed of. He was no expert though, just airing his views.

With orders given he turns to one of Draco and checks over their gear, as would be expected from Astartes everything was mostly in order so the chore didn't take long.

Grimnir stared open mouthed as Cassiel mouth'd off. A Dark Angel speaking about trust and betrayal. Fucking hilarious. With the rivalry between the Dark Angels and the Space Wolfs he couldn't help but burst into a roar of laughter "Aye, good one Cassiel. You're the joker of the team, everyone needs one eh."

Last edited by Carnelian on Fri May 13, 2022 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyFri May 13, 2022 4:51 am

Carnelian wrote:

"Yer think the soulless threat has been removed or just put back to sleep?"

They self-destructed their facility. All save those who fled are likely destroyed. I managed to partly halt the re-awakening sequence, so there were likely thousands trapped below in the collapse. They may have other facilities in-system however.
Back to top Go down
deaddmwalking

deaddmwalking

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyFri May 13, 2022 5:41 am

"Conjecture: the Tyranids do not mess with worlds claimed by the Soulless, even when they are otherwise teeming with biomass. The Tyranid have a way of detecting the presence of the Soulless; a signal that we either failed to detect or didn't recognize the significance. If we could isolate and recreate that signal, we could potentially shield any planet from attack - at least until the Tyranids become exceedingly desperate. We could also use this information to identify strongholds of the Soulless and launch attacks while they still sleep." Cassiel concludes, "Anything in the data you pulled, Sapiens, that indicates a signal we wouldn't have noticed before?"
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyFri May 13, 2022 1:10 pm

The signals they generate that I can detect are quite conventional-found in the background of a thousand worlds. My augur arrays are masterworks, and even within their halls I detected nothing atypical. But as you all saw, they can teleport without use of the warp-a technological base completely beyond our own. The only other creature I've heard of with similar abilities are the Cythor Fiends of the ghoul stars.  

Sapiens turns to cassiel, and a sadness tinged his voice.

We must focus on more pragmatic methods for now. There are theories, but they are beyond the means of anyone I know.Though we can discuss this more in a safe environment.
Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptySat May 14, 2022 1:33 am

"Alright, Iovanus. What is the last thing you can recall before you made contact with Kill Team Draco?" Bleda starts his interrogation of the Luna Wolf...
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyMon May 16, 2022 1:32 pm

Bleda reminded Iovanus of the members of the Librarius back in his time, and wondered if his rituals were any similar to those of his psionically-capable brothers. Making no effort to resist (for doing so would incur the wrath of Draco, and likely the Emperor as well (wherever he was)), Iovanus invited Bleda into his mind, and began recalling his most recent memories as if they happened only yesterday. Which, for him, they did.

"I was leading a Veteran Tactical Squad, under orders from our Praetor, Isador Kerys. We were tracking Eldar to a planetoid known then as Four-Alpha-Zero, in an attempt to keep them from interfering in our crusade, and to exact vengeance for battle brothers lost to their blades. We spent almost a whole day in Four-Alpha-Zero's expansive mountain ranges tracking the xenos, knowing full well that all of us--my squad and the other squads of our detachment--were likely being hunted ourselves. Soon enough our suspicions were proved correct, and the Eldar came upon us in great numbers."

All the while, Bleda was treated to images of Iovanus, the other Luna Wolves and even the Eldar as he recalled his memories. Every Luna Wolf seemed to exude an air of ferocity, as if they could spring forward into a bloodthirsty frenzy in an instant. Their ferocity was, after all, their defining trait...at least until Horus became the Arch-Traitor.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyMon May 16, 2022 5:08 pm

Sapiens became curious about the brother's words...

"Brother Iovanus, keep in mind the coordinates of that planetoid's system. We will establish your transition distance when time permits."

Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyTue May 17, 2022 12:21 am

You begin to make your way back through the thick jungle towards the hivesprawl. You would stop by the same tau outpost you had sacked earlier and it would give you a good chance to see if there was any renewed activity there, but with the damage you had done, it was not expected.

Only 10 minutes trekking back through the thick fauna, you hear the sounds of distant pops followed by roaring.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyTue May 17, 2022 12:03 pm

Lucius immediately started calculating distance and direction. The roaring was unclear, but if the Great Devourer had finally found its way here, he was all too eager to engage his hated foe.

Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyTue May 17, 2022 5:18 pm

Almost immediately, Lucius slightly lowered his guard. "It's not a firefight. It's retrothrusters firing. A ship has just dropped into low orbit." He looked to Hydrako who gave a nod and then gave the verbal command.

"Let's move like we've got a purpose, Draco."

Back to top Go down
deaddmwalking

deaddmwalking

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 18, 2022 12:27 pm

Cassiel knows that Hydrako will be making the order official, but Cassiel is slower than those without a jump pack, so he begins moving in that direction.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 18, 2022 1:38 pm

Sapiens follows them, his augur array at the ready. He started directing his sensors upwards to determine the nature of the ship or anything coming from it.

Large vessel descending...30 klicks...appears to be 1.5 clicks in length, likely frigate class. Will need line of sight for more.
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyThu May 19, 2022 10:25 pm

Hydrako checked silently made a circuit of all the squad, checking their tack as Lucius did the same. He remained aloof while the newcomers were updated on the situation and where they would be going. Letting the Strikemaster escape rankled his humours. His sweetmeats would have yielded illuminating morsels of information, or discounted his words as mere traitor drivel.

When everyone was prepared, he nodded to the Space Wolf, take us out, Grimnir.

Hydrako's head jerked up at the sound of the retrothrusters as they stalked through the underbrush. It could be the Strikemaster and his coterie. Move. Double time. He took off at a jog, making sure not to get ahead of the others. His chainaxe and stormbolter were in his hands again in anticipation of slaughter.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyThu May 19, 2022 10:38 pm

Your vox erupts with blunt force intrusion static, before a gruff voice speaks.

"This is on your head deathwatch. The strikemaster did not want this, even after I told him you would honor no agreement with him, he insisted you be given the opportunity. This is the price of your treachery."

It was the sorcerer, Cyrax.

Hydrako uses his jump pack to get a clear view above the trees, and what he saw he was all too familiar with.....

A small escort vessel had taken place above the hivesprawl, some 30-35km away. The details were difficult to make out, but there was no doubt in Hydrako's mind that it was the alpha legion vessel.
His mind raced with questions, why was the sorcerer making the transmission instead of the strikemaster? The two were clearly only allies of convenience as the sorcerer and the god-following traitors wore different insignia's. Perhaps the sorcerer had performed a coup d'e'te in the confusion? Or maybe he was too wounded to do it himself. Whatever was in doubt about the situation aboard the ship, there was no doubt about what was about to happen.....

Sapiens long range vox picked up the disjointed confusion of panicked PDF stations, with all that chatter he would not be able to get anyone to listen.

Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC 252de0b5c387dc5fbdb5805fab2a8437

A single beam of pure red hate lashed out from the ship towards the hive. The explosion was bright enough to cause Hydrako to suffer retinal burn, but he forced himself to watch through the pain.
A shockwave spread out from the hivesprawl, followed by the low pitched sound of a beam weapon splitting atoms in the atmosphere. A split second late the shockwave hit, knocking Hydrako back into the jungle where trees broke his fall. The rest of draco was spared as the shockwave was diminished by the excessive flora and fauna. You still felt the wave as a cloud of high speed particulate and wind. Grimnir felt the stinging bite off his skin as Lucius and Tomasu felt the same upon their face.
Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC Maxresdefault

When the wave passes as quickly as it had came Sapiens registers a sharp increase of radiation, but they were still at manageable levels.

Hydrako stands and emerges from the underbrush, cuts and scrapes across his grey-pale face.
"The ship is too high for jump packs. Even at full burn we wouldn't make it halfway. The only thing to do is help the survivors. Go."

As you move with hastes towards the single settlement, you hear the roar of the ship's engines as it breaks free and returns to the void from whence it came.

10km from the settlement was when things got hot.

The whole jungle had erupted into flame. The fires were so hot that even at this distance you could not get any closer. Sweat beaded on your foreheads even behind your helmets in seat environment. Temperature readings spiked in the red and klaxons went off in your armor, with an indicator flashing across your HUD. Approaching the settlement from other directions proved just as fruitless. The entire area was chocked with black smoke and harsh winds created by the firestorm sucking in air.
It was early the next day before the flames had died to a level that was not a danger to you.

Moving through knee deep flames you move to the city. Even this early in the day cycle, there was plenty of light, though it was also itself diffused by its own clouds of smoke.

Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC 24668810-7997465-image-a-40_1581546591721Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC ?m=02&d=20200806&t=2&i=1528524886&w=&fh=545&fw=810&ll=&pl=&sq=&r=2020-08-06T001810Z_35957_MRPRC2Z1I9AY6GK_RTRMADP_0_WW2-ANNIVERSARY-HIROSHIMA-NAGASAKIChapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC 1950-aug-6-colliers-p12

The scene was one of utter devastation. People had tried to shelter in the canals only to be boiled alive. Others had hidden in basements and cellars, only to die of asphyxiation, they were lucky. Charred remains lay still on still smoldering streets.
Even still, people had managed to survive. Their skin was black with soot where it wasn't blistered red. Children roamed looking for their parents, burned vocal cords made their cries painful in their throats. The same look of hopeless emptiness was visible in every eye.
They had gathered in small clumps, trying to make sense of the new world, gathering supplies from husks of buildings not yet reduced to ash. There was no power structure among them. Only a few of those were PDF and no one had any idea who was in charge as the vox was beset by interference. As you arrive, they begin to follow you, recognizing you as the authority among them.

They ask questions, pander you for them, but they are only met with silence until you were well and ready to address them.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyFri May 20, 2022 4:25 am

Sapiens held his tongue. This was, if anything, a mercy-a far quicker and more painless death than they would have had at the hands of the soulless or the tyrranids, and a far more honorable death than they would have had at the hands of the inquisition. For that was there likely end-the xenos presence, the chaos presence, the seemingly unaware locals-it all suggested collaboration. In addition, evacuating billions from a backwater would have been nigh-impossible with the ressources on-hand.

Now, at least, their death would have come facing the arch-enemy.

Those few who survived would likely be possible to evacuate. Sapiens begun uploading his emergency preperadness plans from his databanks.

On radio, he sent to his brothers:

I have a standard emergency preparedness plans for post-lance bombardment recovery.
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyMon May 23, 2022 7:55 pm

Hydrako took in the devastation with a callous indifference. The traitors were gone, and that was what irked him. His gaze swept over the survivors and his mind shifted to other implications. He looked first for anyone of rank amongst the PDF. Seeing none, he pointed his axe at the nearest, a dazed young woman with dirty blonde hair and a gash over her eye. You. You are promoted to Interim-Planetary Governor. You will hold that position until a replacement is found, or you die. Rally these people and take them to the nearest facility still left standing. Make your headquarters there and begin the recovery. Pressgang any into your service that you require. Do not search for survivors until you have secured supplies to support them. Search for any of the planetary leadership. You will need them. His head drifted around to regard Sapiens as he mentioned the recovery plans. Coordinate with the Tech Marine on other matters of recovery and how best to survive.

He turned away to regard the rest of the squad. Any injuries? he asked as his eyes ran over each. We're leaving as soon as we have a lock on a landing site. Any questions?

After speaking with Draco, he turned to survey the human wreckage of the blast. There were youths about, of the correct age and disposition for the Cull. The vast majority would not survive, but it did not matter. There were candidates, and there were plenty. Numbers would win out over attrition. He stalked over to a clump that was milling about at the back of the throngs following in Draco's wake. Rejoice, you are saved, initiates. They cowered before him beneath his deathly stare. His words echoed around them without their meaning fully landing. All they heard was saved. Hydrako looked at the oldest in the group. How old are you? There was a tense moment between them as the boy stared at the face of death itself. fif...fifteen, sire. he stammered. Hydrako blinked at him for another moment, considering something. Gather any boys younger than yourself, and bring them back here, all of you. You have one hour, or you will not be saved. Do you understand me? The boys all nodded hurriedly before taking off in different directions. Some even looked a little happy at the idea of being carried up into space on an adventure. Others were merely happy to find safety.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyMon May 23, 2022 11:11 pm

She was about to stammer a response before deciding against it.
The crowds were like the walking dead, authority among them wasn't much better - not like there was much choice.
Still, interim-planetary governess, Kaltrina Arethusia, took those people and relocated them to a still-standing warehouse at the edge of the devastation. it wasn't big enough to house everyone but better options were not available. She organizes search parties to search for supplies, there was scant little. Small pantries were found, much of the storage was damaged by the heat and the fire. It was not enouh to feed the 3,500 that had been gathered so far.

After a day, she approaches the nearest member of Draco,
"M-m-my lord? we have taken stock and there is not enough food or water. What should we do?"
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyTue May 24, 2022 8:01 am

Lucius was without helm once more, surveying the damage. A dirty hot breeze blew across his face. As he watched, Hydrako had begun issuing orders to locals - talking to a group of young children. Boys. Adolescent. They had not spoken at length about the Carcharadon initiation processes, but logical deduction had Lucius assuming this was a personal mission being fulfilled for his Bond-Brother's chapter.

He helped where he could - mostly using his strength to move rubble and get the walking wounded on their feet. He issues warnings about not drinking any sitting water, and together with Sapiens applied triage where he could.

He approached the woman designated interim planetary governor and listened to her question. Even now, amidst all the devastation, Lucius knew that Draco represented hope. He had to play on that and rely on that if even a fraction of this group were to survive. Knowing that some of his brothers would have other ideas, he decided to interject first.

"Governess, now is the time to make hard decisions. Keeping the group together without adequate supplies will only lead to hardship and further suffering. You need to break the survivors into groups. One group can make a temporary shelter at the warehouse, but the others will need to fan out in different directions with the same goal in mind: find shelter, water and food. There will be other areas similar to the warehouse you found. That is a mathematical certainty, but more importantly there will be more survivors that you need to find: doctors, engineers, planetary defense troops. And they will all need strong leadership in the coming days."

He made sure that others saw them talking. He made sure that they knew the Astartes were there and in league with this new interim-governess. He understood the power of optics.

Command Test:

Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyTue May 24, 2022 8:05 am

The devastation was great but Bleda wasn't moved. He and his brothers did not carry the name "Destroyers" for nothing. Still the instance on meddling with civilians irked him as a distraction, an opening that could be exploited and needless proclaiming their presence and actions for friend and foe in a way he found incompatible with the Deathwatch's covert nature.

During the day Bleda finds an oppertunity to speak with Hydrako.

"Brother Hydrako." Bleda goes straight to the point. "Why are we intervening in planetary civilian and public matters? We are broadcasting our presence with this and displaying this engagement will encourage our enemies to make similar attacks again in the future while bogging us down in administrative matters when we need to be alert for how remaining T'au and Chaos agents may seek to exploit the situation."
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyTue May 24, 2022 3:51 pm

Hydrako waited for the candidates to return. They filtered back in ones and twos over the next 60 minutes to mill about in front of him. Outwardly he ignored them, but silently he was gauging their fitness, sorting. Most were without a hope, but there were a few that had potential. A few...

After the hour was up, he began stalking around the edges of the group. They fidgeted uncomfortably, as he moved about without speaking. Some tried to ask him questions, but a glance from him quickly silenced them. He did three laps before he waded in. They parted before him like a school of feeder fish, giving him space, before closing in around him again. As he moved through, he would pick out the odd survivor with a glare and a shake of his head. It was enough to draft them out of the group and send them skittering off into the ruins in fear. Six boys were culled in this manner, leaving 37 in the mob. The final took more convincing, and had to be physically removed. I'm. only. 13. he lied in choking gasps as Hydrako lifted him up by the collar. Hydrako brought him to eye level, and regarded him. You are too old. Begone, and with that he tossed him to the edge. Screw you, you fat arsehole! the boy wailed as he limped away. Hydrako turned his back on the failed aspirant and addressed the group around him. We will be departing soon. If you want to be saved, you will be here when I return. I will leave you behind to die if you stray from this area. Survive until then. Scavenge. Be resourceful. Compete with each other. None of the other Candidates are your friends. They are your competition for survival. Only the strong will make it. He walked out of the Cull and left them in stunned confusion.

-----

Hydrako listened to the Interim Governor and was about to snap at her for being so helpless when Lucius smoothly intervened. Do that, he said simply. He ignored her as Bleda came over and took him aside. He listened to the Destroyer and nodded once in agreement at the mention of the Tau. You are correct, Bleda. We should sweep the Tau bases for more intelligence, but do not misinterpret my purpose here. I am not intervening in the recovery. I have appointed a new Governor, and she is leading the rebuild. That is all. She may be helpless for now, and ask for our aid, but she will receive little. Though his response was quiet and measured, it still carried to the ears of Kaltrina, as she spoke with Lucius.

After Lucius was finished, Hydrako gathered the squad together once more to speak of their next steps. We are done here for now. There is an appointed Imperial Agent running the recovery now, which will free us to finish our mission. Bleda has echoed the thoughts of Sapiens and suggested we sweep the Tau bases for more intelligence and/or threats. I agree. We should move out and see what is left.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyTue May 24, 2022 8:14 pm

Whatever Hydrako was doing with the children, Tomasu did not approve. Though he had little patience for the average imperial citizen, there was no point in not helping them as they were able. Hydrako's uncaring attitude for the populace was....troubling.
Now that he had a chance to observe them in and out of combat, he saw the natural leadership abilities of Lucius. He was galvanizing the survivors along with Sapiens and together they were attempting to help these refugee's survive their new environment. It was admirable.

He approaches Bleda first,
"Brother, now that we have a second to breathe, I must insist we scrutinize this Iovanus. We must make sure there is no taint upon him before we present him to.....who is your watch captain?"

Then he approaches Iovanus (assuming Bleda in tow)
"Son of the arch traitor, We have come to make sure you present no danger to the wider reach. Your situation is unique and Im sure you understand the caution we must take."

Blunt and gruff, as was his harsh chogoran accent. Iovanus now had a chance to study the 2 sorcerers. Tomasu's face was wracked by many scars, and the most noticeable was a weld-scar that ran from his right forehead, straight down through his eye to his chin. The eye itself was a milky white; it seemed lifeless but he had seen it reappear when the librarius adept used sorcery before. The back of his head had a mane of hair that was pulled back inti a tightly braided que that wrapped around his shoulders. He had a fur mane behind his head and had numerous savage looking totems and fetishes that hung from his belts and corners of his armor. He appears to Iovanus a cross between the adepts of the thousand sons and the primal curs of the space wolves.

Serephan assesed the survivors medical needs. More than half of the 3,500 were wounded and almost all of them had 2nd and 3rd degree burns. Many died before they could recuperate.
"burn the bodies" he had told those conscripted to his service. None of them were adequate and he would trade all of them for just 1 half decent servitor. But it was all he had. He reset bones and performed amputations where necessary.
The cries from his patients were a curious thing. It had been so long since he felt any real pain that he could not comprehend their screaming and crying as he sawed limbs off, reduced fractures, or sealed lacerations. All his medications were not made for base humans and were just as dangerous as a traitor's bullet. It made his procedures that much more trying.

After some time he tried to share his concerns with the brother sergeant.
"Hydrako, I am trying to treat their injuries as best I can, but there is a distinct lack of medical supplies hampering my progress. How should I proceed?"
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 25, 2022 1:10 am

Grimnir’s face was ashen as he walked amongst the devastation of the hive, his unprotected skin red raw and blistered and his beard and hair all but singed away. The pain was nothing, nothing to what the survivors had endured and would endure in the days to come. He didn’t blame himself or Draco for the traitors deeds, it was right that they had engaged them. Hells the traitors may have attacked the hive anyway, the whore sons had and would do worse again and again. Every astartes hated traitor marines but Grimnir felt his hatred grow in his heart, his blood boiled at this deed. They would pay for this he swore.

Within minutes he’d given up what supplies he had to dead eyed children, his water canteen and emergency rations gone. He felt helpless as he looked around, Draco weren’t equipped for this and they were only seeing the tip the hive being of course a sprawling place. If is was like this everywhere then the survivors needed off planet help, which would no doubt arrive too late for most.

With Draco gathered Grimnir stared with unfriendly eyes at Hydrako, he didn’t care for the sharks uncaring attitude towards the survivors but he did understand there was little they could do “There may be supplies at the Tau bases, that these people will need. We should also get word off planet as soon as we can, there may be some imperial ships in orbit that could spread the word.” Was all he could offer.
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 25, 2022 2:09 pm

Iovanus was no stranger to orbital bombardments--more than one world had been pacified in the Emperor's name through judicious use of orbital lances and torpedoes. But to see the devastation wrought on an innocent population--an Imperial population at that--made him feel deeply uncomfortable. Iovanus, by virtue of his rank as Veteran Sergeant, had to possess a certain degree of empathy in order to perform his duties, but that empathy had lead to him being occasionally called 'soft' by members of a legion that was renowned for ferocity and lightning-fast assault actions. That empathy only made the signs of mounting casualties all the more distressing to him. Truly, if Iovanus were human, he would likely have broken. But as a Space Marine he had to endure, if not for his long-lost brothers, then for the survivors of the traitors' attack.

Iovanus caught himself silently thanking Tomasu's interruption, as it distracted him from the process of aiding and corralling the survivors into safe zones, however he could not help but get slightly irritated at the constant questioning of his motives. "I understand, Librarian, and although you will no doubt refuse to believe me, I must say I am not smart enough to improvise a betrayal of a unit of Astartes that includes a veteran in Terminator Armour. I am no threat to you."
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 25, 2022 7:43 pm

Tomasu leads Iovanus and Bleda to a ruined structure. Inside it resembled a bunker but was more likely a prefab housing unit with spartan acomadations. They needed quiet and Privacy for what was about to take place.
Tomasu had already prepared the space, removing debris and cleaing a path through the rubble here. It almost resembled a cave with rubble walls instead of stone. In lieu of emergency lighting, there was a small fire in the center.
"sit," he bids you both. In a circle around the fire he removes a pouch from his belt and removes some shaped carved from bone. On each side there was a symbol, you couldn't read it for it was ancient chogoran runes. He closes his eyes and chants something in a deep tone. The fire dims somewhat and the air begins to chill. The temperature plummets fast and you soon see your own breath in the air. Bleda knew of hoarfrost but was not expecting the potencyThe fire dims before frost starts to form on your armored plating. Tomasu's chanting increases in tempo and pitch.
Suddenly, he opens his eyes and casts the shapes on the ground. His damaged eye was no longer blank canvas, now it was a dark brown hue to match the other.
The casting was done, however, and the air warms as his right eye dims to a blank white once again.
He breathes heavily for a second before examining the shaped bones......

"You will fight many enemies in the colors of the deathwatch, xenos and heretic alike. You will not raise arms against your comrades in any vision I saw, but takes care - Not all your enemies point weapons at you. Many will distrust you based on your history alone, even those in the deathwatch whom you might call 'Allies'" The reclusiam will especially be a thorn in your side."

He gathers his bones and puts them away. His face was stony steel. He turns his eyes to Bleda,
"Brother, will you now search his soul?"

Sapiens hooked into half functional cogitators from a citywide network. They were damaged, but pointed out to many emergency supplies, most of which were damaged or unable to be located. Still a few stores were found. The limitations to this search was that they only included imperial provisions. Locally supplied stores and markets were private and undocumented, that were Lucius tipped the scales. He had helped the interim governor better coordinate efforts. Search teams were now tasked with different goals, and different teams searching the same spots no longer happened. Using their local knowledge they were able to access the private owned ventures Sapiens could not know about. They had gathered enough for at least a week by the 3rd day.
Kaltrina approaches you both as you were discussing how to best ration their supplies, something which Sapiens analytical abilities proved particularly adept for, and drops to her knees and placed her head in the ashes of her once-home.
"My lords," she says through gritted teeth and tears, "Truly you are the angels of the emperor. We have lost everything and we dont know why. But you arrived and have made a way for us through the darkness. We are but few in number, and survival is in question, but it hasn't stopped you from giving us your beneficent hand."
She was a pitiful thing, most governors don't wear ragged PDF rags, and neither do most govern a dead world only by virtue of chance. She was hardly adequate for the job, but there were no candidates who could have done more in her position.
Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 25, 2022 9:05 pm

Slighlty irritated that he was asked to do what he had already done, Bleda complies.

"So I shall, brother Tomasu." Bleda casts another Reading to look at Iovanus' aura and thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyWed May 25, 2022 11:35 pm

Grimnir, Hydrako and Bleda moved out to scout out the tau bases.

This was purely a recon mission, as 3 astartes stood little chance against a prefab xenos firebase. Ittook several house of moving through the jungle. You notice that there was hardly any fauna of the animal variety close to the ruined city. It made sense as the animals would have been run off by the firestorm. When it got to the point of sending out hunting packs, they would have to venture farther than expected to find anything.

Approaching the firebase, it was obvious to Grimnir that it was not occupied. There was no xenos stink in the air, at least nothing recent.
Parts of the base looked scuttled, and other parts looked like battle damage. Anything technological had been taken, but much was left behind. Xenos skin suits, dried foodstuffs, blankets, and other non-perishables were left in droves.
The damage was made by a mix of soulless lightning weapons that stripped armor and flesh to ash, and also bolter and plasma weapons of the alpha legion or that other warband that worked with them. No bodies were found, though there was plenty of xenos blood from bolter rounds and frag grenades.

What was lacking, what their fate. Again at the other 2 firebases, there was evidence of scuttling and evacuation, but also signs of heavy damage. No dead were left behind, no wrecks, nothing technological, and more non-perishables still. However, at the last base you find something you did not expect. It was a xenos dataslate with a cracked screen, underneath an overturned bunk in the last firebase, the same firebase you had already fought in.

While Hydrako and Bleda were satisfied that the xenos was gone and no longer a threat, Grimnir felt frustrated that after his years of tracking this cadre. It was like they had escaped his grasp.
Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyThu May 26, 2022 3:59 am

[Checking up Iovanus with Tomasu]

Having fixed Iovanus and looked into the Luna Wolf Bleda can confirm that he finds nothing in Iovanus which speaks of taint or falsehood.

"I felt nothing duplicious about him nor anything strange. His confusion in hailing from an ancient era is perhaps to be expected." Bleda summerize his result. "You seem as loyal and wholesale as any other in Kill Team Draco." The last Bleda adress to Ioanus.

[Recon mission to check T'au bases]

As they walk Bleda takes the oppertunity to speak some with Hydrako about Iovanus.

"Brother Iovanus seems to be whom he claims and we found nothing duplicious about his fate or in his awareness. However there are such things which can be hidden deep within the psyche of a target. I belive they are called 'mind-wiped'.

Until Librarians with a specialization in such matters can investigate Iovanus deeper we can't be entirely sure that there isn't something embedded inside Ioavnus which a psyhic command could activate at a later time.

All from physical actions to unleashing a personality change. Or more.

But personally I find it unlikely that our traiterous enemies are so knowledgeable about the Soulless that they can insert an agent like that into a complex like the one where Iovanus joined us. So I think that Ioavnus is no threat to the Kill Team, the Deathwatch or the Imperium."
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyFri May 27, 2022 6:19 am

Grimnir hoped the Rogue Trader could make use of the dataslate, no doubt she had people who could unlock its secrets. While he stowed the device safetly away he opened up a link to Lucius “Brother. The xeno bases are abandoned, they took their wargear but left plenty of food and other supplies. To much to bring back with us though, suggest you organise either relocating the survivors to the bases’ or get those able to portage it back.” Grimnir proceeded to outline the coordinates, there were three bases in all.

Once he was done with Lucius he saught out Draco “Looks like we missed a fun fight eh; Tau, these souless and the Traitor whore sons. Lots of people showing an interest in this place. I’ve let Lucius know there are supplies that the survivors might use, he organising that although we’ll or I will need to guide them.”
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptySat May 28, 2022 4:12 pm

Lucius allowed the interim governess to finish before offering her a hand. The huge bionic dwarfed hers, but was shockingly gentle as it moved her up.

"It is the duty of the Emperor's Angels to protect His subjects. We have done what we could, but now the power and responsibility lay with you. Don't forget your role in this; we provided guidance, you saw that it was carried out. Never underestimate yourself, Kaltrina. Your days of being tested are not over, but now at least you are more prepared for what lies ahead."

He gave her a nod of approval, emphasizing his point.

"A word of advice: surround yourself with loyal men and women, but ensure that they are not simply all sycophants. Have people courageous enough to tell you when a plan of action is not the right one."

He held up a hand as Grimnir voxed through. "Copy, Grimnir. Wait one."

He then looked back to Kaltrina. "It seems some good fortune has come your way, but another decision needs to be made."

He then explained the situation, catching her up to speed.

"Relocate to the Tau bases, or make work teams to bring the supplies back here?"

Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptySun May 29, 2022 12:02 am

She was horrified that xenos had been camped out in the uninhabited regions, she she regained her composure quickly.

Then she said something that showed she was not a complete loss.
"My lord, we have supplies here and supplies at 3 xenos bases. Either way we will have to move a large amount of supplies and most are here to begin with. Also, I dont think we would tolerate ruined xenos structures better than ruined human ones."

She makes the sign of the Aquila as the word xenos made her uneasy to say to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptySun May 29, 2022 10:26 am

Sapiens had recovered what functionality could be had. It took longer than he would have liked, but simply too much had been destroyed. The survivors would live in the short-term, until they could be evacuated. At merely 3500, it was now feasible. They might make useful helots for the deathwatch.

+++

Before any humans would set foot in the old xenos bases, Sapiens would have to inspect it. While he had no doubt there was no "significant" technology remaining (such as weapons, cogitators or vehicles), too many forgot that even simple shelters where a form of tech. Through it, you saw the mentality of their crafters. The T'au where still young; to them, the machine was slave, something that existed "merely to make their lives better". He could not allow such mentality to corrupt these people. The machine was child, brothers, and those who forgot that-like the dark mechanicus-commited grave sins. Sapiens privately commed Lucius:

+I would follow this person's logic. Even the simple designs of the xenos can corrupt men, lead them astray. These do not have the strength or knowledge to keep safe.+

Sapiens sent another message to Grimnir, asking for knowledge on the base situation.

+++

Sapiens went to Lucius to discuss the work they where doing for these people.

Brother Lucius, you appear to be preparing them for long-term survival. Why?
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyTue May 31, 2022 11:28 am

Lucius nodded to Kaltrina. "A fine choice. I will provide you the coordinates to the bases so that you may gather and return the supplies; while they are xenos in origin, they are prefabrications. Our team will make sure nothing to taint you remains there. Additionally, the further out you go the better opportunity for hunting and planting. You need to begin thinking long term now."

The Novamarine returned the salute as Kaltrina left and one of the newer bastards to join Draco, Sapiens, approached.

Lucius smiled at the question. He found it odd, but had enough time around Tech Marines to understand them somewhat. He thought briefly of brother Makradon and his inability to human.

"Because that is what Novamarines do, Sapiens. In my veins runs the blood of Roboute Guilliman, and like you I am a protector of humankind. To save humanity is our ultimate mission. Here," he said with a sweep of his arm indicating the ruins of civilization they found themselves in, "We have a chance to do just that."

Honor and virtue aside, he continued: "But from the standpoint of strategy, keeping Imperial contacts alive and well here gives us something of a monitoring station. This anomaly of a planet could provide key intelligence in combatting the Tyranid scourge."

Lucius' own visage emphasized this point; his armor had been decorated with the trophies of his most prized Tyranid kills. His right pauldron bore the shoulder carapace of the Beast of Thule, it's claws replaced some of the teeth of his chainsword, and the necklace he wore was made up of parts of Tyranid Warrior Primes and Harrodan's he had personally slaughtered.

Last edited by Iron and Metal on Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC EmptyTue May 31, 2022 5:46 pm

After returning from sweeping the firebases, Hydrako informed the rest of the squad and they went about helping the civilians again. When Seraphan asked about what to do with the medical supplies, Hydrako merely blinked at him in silence until the message was received. Triage. Help those that will survive with minimal intervention. The rest, do not waste your effort or supplies on. He waited for the affirmative from his Apothecary before leaving to find the mob.

He made his way to the area he had designated for the candidates to occupy to see what numbers remained. To his disappointment more boys had arrived, and not one of them was of the correct physique or age. Again, he waded into the group and scattered the newcomers, dissuading them from telling their friends or trying to return. There had been some attrition during his scouting excursion to the Tau bases, which reduced the Cull down to 30. When they were grouped tightly in front of him again, he spoke. Fight for your place here. Do not allow others to join, for their chance to reach the next stage is gone. Our transport off-world will arrive soon. There will only be room for 20 of you, and it will be up to all of you to decide who goes and who stays. Stay here until I return. As he left there was a clamour from the candidates as they tried to understand what he meant by "room for 20" and "fight for your place".

He found Lucius preparing a group of survivors for a journey to one of the bases. He stood in sinister silence, watching the exchanges of thanks and encouragement, as the Nova Marine moved about. When they were loaded and moving off, he whispered to Lucius. You are too kind to them, he said, in an odd neutral tone. Then he changed the subject. I cannot understand the mind of the Strikemaster and why he was so surprised by our refusal to hold to his parlay terms. It galls me to let them all slip through our fingers at the very end.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC Empty

Back to top Go down

Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next