A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC

Go down 
+7
Hydrako
Wendigo Bob
Carnelian
insane935
Iron and Metal
Gurkhal
deaddmwalking
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 12:10 am

What Sapiens and Tomasu said did match up so Grimnir spoke his mind... "Which is it; threat level extremis or whatever scale Sapiens is using? All traces of the mission struck from the records, doesn't sound like 'nothing' to me eh Sapiens. Eldar, Tau and the traitor legions all showing an interest." he left it there.
Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 10:51 am

[When Brother Iovanus has spoken]

"Brother Tomasu and I have gauged Brother Iovanus state after his liberation from the Xenos machinery. We have found him wholesale and untainted. As the librarian of Kill Team Draco I can vouch for Brother Iovanus."
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 5:55 pm

Sapiens sighed internally. Tomasu was far too brash for this kind of work. If he had just kept his mouth shut, he might have been able to get it under wraps-to formally censure it would only draw attention to it.

Brother Tomasu, I know you are used to laboring in the shadows, but this kind of focus is ... excessive ... for such a minor xenos. They are dangerous, certainly, but are rare and few, and are clearly hampered in their actions.

Sapiens would need to talk with Tomasu afterwards. He hoped the psyker would understand his suggestion, his attempts to reduce emphasis. Secrecy would help with the broader imperium; but amongst those of the deathwatch, it will only attract undue attention. To yell it in an open hall...

To grimnir I said:

There was a similarly mixed occurence recently on Lorn V where multiple xenos factions attempted to recover-or destroy-the imperator titan Dominatus. A powerful titan, certainly, but still just a single titan; the combined resources expended in that campaign could have built several of them. When powerful weapons and technology are at stake, it attracts all kinds-hereteks and most of all. My greatest concern is how this many factions could be present without the imperium knowing it. There may be a need to review this regions intelligence apparatus, as the locals remained unaware of any of this happening.

To the assembly:

As for the tyranids, during my travels here from Fort Excalibris, I was able to pass through 6 different major watch-fortresses, and I assembled data from each. Since the first Tyranid incursions in M36-and yes, I'm aware of the controversy surrounding that date- they have avoided 26 systems with living worlds due to them being dominated by technomantic or non-organic species. The principal lesson we can learn is the usefulness of "starving" the hive fleets. If they spot a singular foe that will cost them more than they can gain-and who wont likely flank them- they will avoid it. Unfortunately, this makes the "protection" the soulless provide situational at best.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2022 1:09 pm

Lucius stepped forward at the mention of the civilians. "Lucius Vorenus, Kill Team Draco, Tactical: To add, they've been set up with the best means of survival from what is left over; if there are any relief supplies we could spare, I would advocate for an unmanned drop off. Some may see this as a waste of resources, but they act as a point-of-Imperial-contact on a world that may hold potential answers to abating the Tyranid threat, as well as a watch location for any further Soulless activity. They've been set up with comms that we can access should we need."

He then extended a bionic arm toward Iovanus. "If it is any consolation, neither of our Librarians detected the slightest taint on Iovanus. Further, immediately upon the shocking news of his new reality, he took it upon himself to link up with Draco and fought with honor against both the Soulless and the traitor alike."

With that he stepped back.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
insane935
Senpai
insane935

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2022 3:53 pm

Soon after entering the docking bay
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Once in the docking bay, Khol makes his way towards the war rooms. Ignoring the activity as he makes strides away, especially the offer of another astartes to check his own equipment. He hasn't had much time to think about the mission with Albrect prior to picking up KT Dario. Having to kill fellow man to secure all of the equipment that sits in the landing bay reminds him of his past actions. And see what's left of the residents from that planet and their dire situation doesn't settle well either. He shall attend to his own equipment as he considers his own thoughts after the debriefing. Whenever he completes his own thorough check-up of his equipment, he might give the small shooting range a try to help him refocus.

Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2022 4:06 pm

Hydrako's nostrils flared in frustration for a moment. His instincts were to abandon the planet as his Chapter's procedures required, but in the Deathwatch he was expected to grow beyond those strictures and evolve. It grated him to the core to go against his instincts, and his teeth grated together as he thought it over, but after Lucius stepped back into line he added,Brother Lucius is right. If we can spare anything that will not compromise our own capabilities, we should leave it. But if not, it is not for us to worry.

He looked at Tomasu then, Why does Watch Captain Mattias demand this intelligence be expunged from the records? It will prove useful for future operations.

Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2022 11:45 pm

Tomasu quoted something he had picked up in his last few years alongside Matthias, "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die"

Avincus moves on, "Yes. Thats very cryptic and all, but they have not been encountered anywhere else in the reach." he motioned for the cryptographer-adepts to mark this next words down as important. "Let it be written that Draco has performed its duty admirably considering all the unforeseen factors involved. Techmarine Sapiens, Librarian Tomasu, and Veteran Scout Grimnir all joined the mission in progress and achieved an acceptable result. The inhabitants of the planet have suffered grievous casualties and its requested that a relief mission be sent to the planet at the earliest possible convenience. Let it also be known that the fellow astartes, Iovanus, of a fallen chapter lost to antiquity, has joined them under the scrutiny and supervision of myself and Watch Captain Vario. Pending a hearing on Erioch, he will be treated as a member of the deathwatch in the meantime."

Furious typing and unravelling scrolls of parchment followed, but his next words were for all gathered.
"I regret that I must agree with Hydrako on this. Time is of the essence and we cant even spare the time to offload any supplies. The next crisis awaits."
He looks at Lucius, knowing that the Novamarine wished nothing more than to help them best as able. You know that he also wished for that as well.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 03, 2022 10:02 am

Lucius understood the order of importance in times like this. It was one thing that made him the leader he was; there were times when mission priority simply overtook personal desires or morality.

He appreciated the fact that Avincus looked him in the eye. Novamarines and Ultramarines were gene-brothers, after all. Their personal priorities were likely very similar.

He says nothing, but gives Avincus a nod of appreciation.

Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2022 1:30 am

Vario intercedes before Avincus could continue.
"I also want in put into the record that Grimnir has been operating in the salient for an extended period of time, on his own merits, and with minimal support. For his effort I do believe he qualifies for the Imperials honor."
Avincus nods, "If Vario insists then I concur with his assessment. I'm afraid that the pomp and ceremony due you will have to be put off until we finish the next mission. Until then it's an unofficially official. Congratulations brother Grimnir for your efforts."

The watch captains then motion everyone to the most cluttered table. It was covered and recovered in maps.

Avincus begins, "Draco, Assura, those who are not in either, this is Castobel. And it hangs on a knife's edge. The situation is dire. The cannibalization of a hive ship is beginning to swell numbers on the ground and the holdout will not last. Ironbound and Myself have gone over the data and new reports several times. They have weeks at best, days at worst. Now the original plan was to gather troops and equipment and return in force to tip the scales. We did this, but then we received this."

He motions to a rolled scroll, which Vario unravels and begins to read.
"To the members of the Ordos currently operating in the Jericho reach. My scribes have read the tarot, they have scoured the future sight gifted them by the Emperor and he has warned us via signs and portents. The doom that awaits is going to appear in the system soon. It has already demolished half of the home world of the crusade and now threatens so again. I have had my adepts correlate this and they have found that there is no recorded instance of it being seen so soon again. My resources only grant me a token naval force and I am unable to launch expeditionary forces. IN the case that it directly threatens my worlds I will not be able to stop it. Request assistance in whatever form deemed necessary. I have mobilized my PDF and astra millitarum garrison. It is signed secularum Governess Tessa Malorum."
He rolls up the scroll again as he lets the words hit you.

An oh, do they have an effect.
"Its the Mortis Thule....."
Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2022 10:50 am

[Wilbek]

The brash Exploding Fist was the first to speak after Avincus had finished reading.

"Sounds like things got complicated. We in Assura will fix this issue with the Mortis Thule and get the Imperial focus back on the Tyranids."

Wilbek's voice literally brims with confidence and a strong hint of eagerness to tackle the challenge.

"I just hope Draco, as I presume we'll have to bring along, can keep from dropping more of the space hulk on Imperial worlds or invent some other calamity. Such things seems to follow them."

[Bleda]

The Exploding Fist's attitude to the issue rankled Bleda. Space hulks were a serious matter and even more so if the tarot and far-sight marked its importance. But the Destroyer knew he had never been aboard the space hulk unlike some other memebers of Draco.

Thus he figured it was their task, or the Watch Captains', to answer Wilbek and preferably to shut him up.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 17, 2022 4:39 pm

Sylphilis wrote:
Vario intercedes before Avincus could continue.
"I also want in put into the record that Grimnir has been operating in the salient for an extended period of time, on his own merits, and with minimal support. For his effort I do believe he qualifies for the Imperials honor."
Avincus nods, "If Vario insists then I concur with his assessment. I'm afraid that the pomp and ceremony due you will have to be put off until we finish the next mission. Until then it's an unofficially official. Congratulations brother Grimnir for your efforts.""

All Space Wolves chased glory so caught off guard by the honour Grinmirs chest swells briefly before he remembers his cool exterior. He gives a tight smile and a nod to Vario. "Yer honour me, but more than happy to skip the ceremony." if truth be told it would both be an uncomfortable experience but also satisfy the yearning for a story to be told by the skalds, perhaps this could be a start.

+++++

Wilbek was a good warrior but also a overly head strong and boastful. The slight was not for Grimnir to answer so leaves it for Draco to reply. He was more interested in the news of the Mortis Thule, there would be glory to be had there.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2022 4:07 am

Sapiens stood up:

Some questions:

-Why has the fleet been unable to dispatch this space hulk?
-This "Homeworld of the crusade", what is its current operational capacity?
-How many worlds are put at risk from the fall of Castobel? Does it currently act as a chokepoint preventing tyrranid operations within the salient?
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2022 11:39 am

Mortis Thule

The name elicited a controlled response within Lucius that Wilbek could only dream of. There was a history here. A personal vendetta. A promise made. Nothing the Exploding Fist could say or do would divert Lucius' attention in this matter in the slightest.

He thought of Caedmon and Kor'sahn, and knew in his heart of hearts that they were waiting aboard the Emperor's Gaze for extraction.

"Draco is ready to combat this threat once again. We are ready to deploy at your word."

He looked to Hydrako. He had done very well leading the kill team, and while they hadn't officially finished debrief, something in Lucius had sparked. It was unspoken. He meant no offense to the Carcharadon, but the mantle of leadership - no, the need to recuperate past losses on the hulk and finish what they had started - was burning inside of him with a deep intensity.

"It will be good to have the support of another Kill Team." he added diplomatically, finally sparing a glance at Wilbek and the rest of Assura. "Should any of you wish to brief with those of us who were actually aboard the Thule to prepare for what awaits, we would be more than willing to share our experiences."

He left it at that. The truth was that of the gathered lot, only a handful of them knew what to expect and could prep them for what to encounter.

It was time for the Dark Horses to end the nightmare that had started seemingly so long before.

Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2022 8:01 pm

Hydrako waited for Lucius to finish. No doubt he was on the same page as to why they were going back. The Beast needed putting down. Again. The Mortis must take precedence as our next course of action. Wherever it appears, it disgorges xenos and leaves chaos in its wake. Draco will destroy the remainder of this wreck.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 21, 2022 1:55 am

Wendigo Bob wrote:
Sapiens stood up:

Some questions:

-Why has the fleet been unable to dispatch this space hulk?
-This "Homeworld of the crusade", what is its current operational capacity?
-How many worlds are put at risk from the fall of Castobel? Does it currently act as a chokepoint preventing tyrranid operations within the salient?

Vario made a quizzical look, "You must not have been in the reach for very long. Karlack, last I had heard, was up to 63 percent of its operational capacity. Kill team Draco is both hailed as saviors and decried for that. Castobel is the cliff that keeps the wave of hive fleet dagon contained. I do not deny that it is in a dire position and requires the The fleet has been unable to dispatch the hulk due to its erratic and unpredictable nature. Its never been in a position where a heavy warship can begin to break it. Reports also tell of powerful archeotech aboard and the deathwatch has standing order epsilon-nine-nine-zero the requires us to perform an augur sweep of its new form and to perform forays into its interior to map it as able. "

Avincus was caught off guard by Lucius' readiness to abandon Castobel and return the the mortis Thule.
"I am surprised that with our shared history on ultramar, you would leave Castobel to its fate to chase down a hulk which seems determined to evade our might."
Avincus was not stupid, he had read the reports from their last foray into the hulk and conversed with Dario on the matter. He knew that there was an open wound so long as Caedmon and Kor'sahn were unaccounted for, he just didnt realize it was stronger than his desire for vengeance against the Tyranids.
Vario lent his word to that of Hydrako and Lucius, "Do not forget that I also have a personal stake in the matter. Ultramar is my homeworl just as it is yours. Though I am not a veteran of that conflict, I do not think that the presence of such vile xenos warrants abandonment of epsilon nine-nine-zero"
From in the back, Micah Curas, Ironbound, added his view on the matter.
"You would leave those people to die in the order of satisfy the whims of some tech-obsessed martians based on unverified reports?"
Vario shot back, "You would leave such a weapon at the feet of our enemies to save a single world whose population is almost depleted as is. Do not forget that Erradius, Tomasu and Myself have already put time in on that planet. Its a miracle that it hasn't fallen already. To waste an opportunity on that world would be folly."
"To waste a world is folly. The Imperium's best weapon is not some ancient battery, but the men and women who defend it." Curas retorted.
"Then why did you leave?" Vario countered, knowing that Curas already loathed himself for leaving.
"Enough," Avincus interjected, hoping to cool things down before Ironbound got loud and annoying, "Inquisitor, where do you stand on the matter?"

Ezu Ghraile was leaning back in a chair, not happy that this was not a clean cut decision. "My only desire is to see the Imperium rid of the tyranid threat; but I will not deny those standing orders carry the weight of inquisitors upon it as well. I would think hard before countermanding those orders."
"Are you saying that you cannot order otherwise?" Avincus asked.
"Its hard to say. I have not been able to find the name of the inquisitor, or any of the founders of that order, documented. In my search I have heard many rumors of lord inquisitors, watch captains, watch commanders, and even lords of terra being involved. I seek only to rid ths galaxy of xenos and would not have myself made a target by more inward seeking elements of the holy ordos."
"A wise choice." Vario Agreed.

During the proceedings, Iovanus could hardly follow the train of rankings, histories, and allegiances involved.
what kind of powers did these ordos' wield, and why were they called holy?
who, or what, were the lords of terra? perhaps a primarchs of old? Besides the Emperor himself they were the only ones qualified to lead the imperium.

Something else that bothered him was a helmeted astartes who cared little for the proceedings and only had his hidden gaze towards Iovanus. The armor was the same as the rest of these deathwatch, but his pauldron was different, something familiar. It was no marking of a legion of old, but he swore he had heard of a sect within the imperial fists that wore that sign.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 21, 2022 4:23 am

Sapiens saw a fundamental issue here. Lack of clear operational command authority was harming their decision-making.

Despite my own care for the machine, I agree with Brother Curass. The odds of finding functional, uncorrupted tech on a hulk is low. I would ask another few questions:

-What is the offensive capacity of the mortis thule on planet-bound targets?
-If castobel falls, how many worlds are made vulnerable? Are there comparable fortress-worlds beyond it to hold the threat?

Do not forget brothers: Duty before Honor. We must find the path that satisfies this maxim, lest our pride carry us away as it did my primogenitor Ferrus Manus
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 21, 2022 8:53 am

Lucius responded to Avincus first. "The fact that you know I served on Macragge against Behemoth, and what I gave there, as well as what Draco accomplished on Castobel, should give extra weight to my decision to tackle this wretched hulk," Lucius gestured to Ironbound with his black-metal bionic arms. A simple gesture, but it proved both points he had just made.

"If any would question my reasoning let it not be to simply 'leave Castobel to its fate,' but because I believe the Thule poses a greater existential problem for the Imperium at large. You've read the reports - the endless hordes of Genestealers we faced there, including Brood Lords and the Beast of Thule. Masses of Orks. Corruption and mutation. Untold xenos threats beyond that. And yes, an honor bound duty to not leave two Astartes brothers behind. I will not pretend that that does not eat at me."

He allowed a moment for that to sink in. The head of the Beast of Thule sat on a pauldron, one of his many trophies. Its dead leering eyes added proof of the horrors of the Thule.

"If we gather some ancient weapon - some holy tech for the Martians to drool over - then that is a bonus. Brothers Caedmon and Kor'sahn may have intelligence right at this moment to lead us to that; however, peventing more genestealers, the strategic planning minds of the Tyranid hive fleets, from worming into untold systems - that is the greater threat."

This was partially in response to Sapien. As he had not been a part of the expedition to the Thule, he did not know the massive waves of Ork, and specifically Tyranids, it could launch into other systems.

He looked to Avincus and then his eyes bored deeply into Ironbound. "I take no pleasure in leaving anyone to die, especially the heroes on Castobel. This is a choiceless choice, my friend. Each has dire consequences. Brother Sapien, I believe this path satisfies the Maxim. This is the way of the galaxy, and we must believe that the Emperor Protects."

Spoiler for the GM **:

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 21, 2022 4:28 pm

Wendigo Bob wrote:
Sapiens saw a fundamental issue here. Lack of clear operational command authority was harming their decision-making.

Despite my own care for the machine, I agree with Brother Curass. The odds of finding functional, uncorrupted tech on a hulk is low. I would ask another few questions:

-If castobel falls, how many worlds are made vulnerable? Are there comparable fortress-worlds beyond it to hold the threat?

Do not forget brothers: Duty before Honor. We must find the path that satisfies this maxim, lest our pride carry us away as it did my primogenitor Ferrus Manus

Grimnir excepted the reasoning but he found it lacking. Potentially saving the hive and the billions of lives that lived within was without doubt something he wanted to do, an honourable path. But sometimes in war sacrifices were made and priorities selected that held victory in mind over lives saved. "We're all duty bound" he replies to Sapiens "Seems there is duty on Castobel and also this standing order to investigate the Thule. We are two kill teams and a few waifs and strays, perhaps we split our objectives."
Back to top Go down
insane935
Senpai
insane935

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 11:30 pm

Khol has been listening to the discussion, as he pounders to himself. As he reads the report on the Mortis Thule from his tablet, it makes a difficult decision. One that he feels he cannot have a say in. Castobal is a world of great need and to prevent vulnerability to other planets... but to know you have brothers on a space hulk and have the chance to acquire them... no matter the condition... is equally as heavy.
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 24, 2022 5:21 pm

Hydrako waited for a moment as everyone said their piece. Lucius was building the best case, appealing to shared history, and so Hydrako added more fuel to his argument. The Alpha Legion has been hounding us since our inception as Draco. Everywhere we operate, they are in the shadows carrying out an unknown agenda. If they know our movements, they will know about the Thule and its potential, both for resources and to cause harm to the Imperial forces in the Reach. We should consider ourselves in a race to get to the hulk and destroy it before they turn it to their own designs.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2022 12:25 am

Iron and Metal wrote:
Lucius responded to Avincus first. "The fact that you know I served on Macragge against Behemoth, and what I gave there, as well as what Draco accomplished on Castobel, should give extra weight to my decision to tackle this wretched hulk," Lucius gestured to Ironbound with his black-metal bionic arms. A simple gesture, but it proved both points he had just made.

"If any would question my reasoning let it not be to simply 'leave Castobel to its fate,' but because I believe the Thule poses a greater existential problem for the Imperium at large. You've read the reports - the endless hordes of Genestealers we faced there, including Brood Lords and the Beast of Thule. Masses of Orks. Corruption and mutation. Untold xenos threats beyond that. And yes, an honor bound duty to not leave two Astartes brothers behind. I will not pretend that that does not eat at me."

He allowed a moment for that to sink in. The head of the Beast of Thule sat on a pauldron, one of his many trophies. Its dead leering eyes added proof of the horrors of the Thule.

"If we gather some ancient weapon - some holy tech for the Martians to drool over - then that is a bonus. Brothers Caedmon and Kor'sahn may have intelligence right at this moment to lead us to that; however, peventing more genestealers, the strategic planning minds of the Tyranid hive fleets, from worming into untold systems - that is the greater threat."

This was partially in response to Sapien. As he had not been a part of the expedition to the Thule, he did not know the massive waves of Ork, and specifically Tyranids, it could launch into other systems.

He looked to Avincus and then his eyes bored deeply into Ironbound. "I take no pleasure in leaving anyone to die, especially the heroes on Castobel. This is a choiceless choice, my friend. Each has dire consequences. Brother Sapien, I believe this path satisfies the Maxim. This is the way of the galaxy, and we must believe that the Emperor Protects."

Spoiler for the GM **:

Avincus nods. He could see the wisdom in the decision, though in his heart he still desired Castobel over the Motis Thule.

Wendigo Bob wrote:

Captain Farosh answered.
"The Hulk is notorious, it has shattered the backs of fleets and disgorged all manner of filth on the planets it passes by. It traverses the imperium at large but has been spotted at least 4 times in the reach since the crusade began."

Ironbound counted him by answering the other question, "If Castobel falls, the the whole salient, and by extension the crusade, is at risk." He eyes Captain Farosh, "Not to mention, it has shattered the back of battlefleet Argo already."
There was no doubt that his assessment was biased by his experience, but it didnt make him wrong.
"And it cost your father his life, Emperor rest his soul." Farosh added.
"It cost the crusade the supreme commander of the orpheus salient" He corrected.

Carnelian wrote:
Grimnir excepted the reasoning but he found it lacking. Potentially saving the hive and the billions of lives that lived within was without doubt something he wanted to do, an honourable path. But sometimes in war sacrifices were made and priorities selected that held victory in mind over lives saved. "We're all duty bound" he replies to Sapiens "Seems there is duty on Castobel and also this standing order to investigate the Thule. We are two kill teams and a few waifs and strays, perhaps we split our objectives."

Dario answered him,
"Prob'lem is, we only got one ship. Assura left dey ship in hands of an'udda kill team so dey could fight on Castobel. We can no go bot' places, moname."

Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2022 12:38 am

There was a tense pause. Avincus and Vario each had the same command clearance, but both wanted to pursue different missions, each with its own goals. In the end, Avincus relented.
"Codex save us. We will pursue the Mortis Thule, we will run her down and rip the secrets and archeotech from her innards. Captain Farosh, prepare the ship, let the navigators know our destination."

The captain gave a curt nod, and turned sharply, headed for the navigator's throne atop the command decks.

Ironbound was clearly not happy with the outcome. "I shouldn't have left the planet. I would rather have died there along with my sons than surrender it to the filthy xenos."

"Well spoken." Kriegor Than said, approaching the brooding soldier.
"I myself and also unhappy with the outcome. I left Erioch to seek an end to the Dagon threat, and now we turn from the threat at the last hour."
"I dont know you." Curas said darkly.
"I Am Kriegor Thann of the Red Scorpions Chapter. I am Master of the Apothecarion on Erioch." Kriegor said from behind his impassive mk IV helmet.
The tittle meant nothing to Ironbound.
"They better find this thing that they're looking for. Billions were sacrificed for it."
"Those billion are mostly already dead." Than countered,
"And now they died for nothing." Curas replied.

Stavross approached Hydrako and stopped in front of him. Under his crooked arm he held a large plumed helmet. HIs frae was massive, even for astartes, Even with Hydrako standing he still had to look up to meet his gaze.
"Remember this. That archeotech wonder weapon is ours. Assura will be the one securing it."
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2022 1:22 am

Iovanus had not been there for the previous exploration of the Mortis Thule. He hardly knew any of his new battle brothers well at all. But reading up on the reports of their missions together, he was reminded of his squad from back in his time. A well-drilled unit that, with the right mindset, could accomplish anything in the name of the Emperor. Perhaps the times were not changing so much after all.

"In my time, each Legion numbered tens of thousands of Astartes at least. My legion alone was said to have numbered almost 200,000 at its peak. But the thought of leaving Astartes behind never sat well with any of us. No-one was deemed expendable, and everyone deserved to be fought for. We are the gene-sons of the Emperor himself, the blade that fights the horrors of the galaxy to keep his Imperium safe...and if travelling to this Mortis Thule will aid in honouring that mission, then the Luna Wolves shall see it done."
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 29, 2022 11:21 am

Lucius spared a glance at Iovanus. When their eyes met he gave him a nod of respect.

+++

Lucius made his way to Ironbound and Kriegor Thann. He allowed them to finish before stepping forward. If Micah wished to speak to him, curse him, or spit on him for his words, now was his opportunity. Lucius would understand.

Truth was he needed to speak to Thann urgently.

"Brother Thann, I have samples and specimens from Castobel and the Mortis Thule for you. Hopefully there is something there that will help you rid the sector of this nemesis."

Tyranids defeated and collected:

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 31, 2022 6:04 pm

Sylphilis wrote:

Stavross approached Hydrako and stopped in front of him. Under his crooked arm he held a large plumed helmet. HIs frae was massive, even for astartes, Even with Hydrako standing he still had to look up to meet his gaze.
"Remember this. That archeotech wonder weapon is ours. Assura will be the one securing it."

Sapiens was irritated by the pride and possessiveness of this battle-brother. It rankled him.

"Brother Stavross, your attitude is a risk factor. We do not have the ressources to waste on such competitiveness. If we do not labor together, we die alone. And assuming we do find a weapon-unlikely as it may be-it will be command that decides its deployement."

Sapiens also sent a text-crypt to the others in the team, requesting any & all data they possessed on the hulk. A foolish task though it may be, he would ensure it was done optimally.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2022 11:40 pm

callume26 wrote:

"In my time, each Legion numbered tens of thousands of Astartes at least. My legion alone was said to have numbered almost 200,000 at its peak. But the thought of leaving Astartes behind never sat well with any of us. No-one was deemed expendable, and everyone deserved to be fought for. We are the gene-sons of the Emperor himself, the blade that fights the horrors of the galaxy to keep his Imperium safe...and if travelling to this Mortis Thule will aid in honouring that mission, then the Luna Wolves shall see it done."

"Traitor." Iovanus heard someone growl with barely contained fury. Turning back to the crowds of astartes, he focus was drawn to the one who had been ignoring the briefing to stare him down.
"You dare mention the traitors who turned their back on the god-emperor and plunged the imperium into civil war as if they were noble? As if they deserved anything other than fire?"
He looks at the those assembled, righteous fury radiated off of him in a way not oft seen out of battle. "And you would allow this nonsense?"
None spoke, for Albrect was normally dour and reserved. It was not unexpected though. His chapter was the most zealous and the most religious of all astartes.
Iovanus recognized his sigils as a sect within the imperial fists, the first company of templar brethren led by Sigismund was a peerless group of warriors, but those days were 10,000 years past.

Iron and Metal wrote:
"Brother Thann, I have samples and specimens from Castobel and the Mortis Thule for you. Hopefully there is something there that will help you rid the sector of this nemesis."

Thann took the specimens with a grateful, silent nod. "Brother Lucius, it is well to see you again. I hope your time on Castobel was as efficient as the reports read."
It was then that ironbound left them be without another word. Thann watched him go before speaking again. "With your history and our shared hatred, I am surprised you sided with the mortis thule. You must tell me about what drives you to return. I already know this standing order is simply a pretense. You should know that the astartes here were already split between the thule and castobel. Avincus wasnted Castobel and Vario was pushing for the Thule. There is a unnerving disquiet between the two opinions."

Wendigo Bob wrote:
"Brother Stavross, your attitude is a risk factor. We do not have the ressources to waste on such competitiveness. If we do not labor together, we die alone. And assuming we do find a weapon-unlikely as it may be-it will be command that decides its deployement."
Stavross looked back with obvious annoyance.
"Competition drives progress."
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2022 9:15 am

Sylphilis wrote:

Progress is the mistake of the Dark Age, an era of incredible advancement and unfathomable horror. We are all cogs in the great machine of the imperium; a cog attempting to move faster, stronger than the others will at best destroy themselves, and at worse destroy the whole mechanism. If you wish to indulge in such hedonistic excess as is competition, do it when your brothers aren't relying on you.

His reference of "progress" as a positive disturbed Sapiens. The ruinous powers where constantly trying to penetrate the minds of astartes; was the changer of ways trying to influence this one?
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2022 11:33 am

Syphilis wrote:
"Traitor." Iovanus heard someone growl with barely contained fury. Turning back to the crowds of astartes, he focus was drawn to the one who had been ignoring the briefing to stare him down. "You dare mention the traitors who turned their back on the god-emperor and plunged the imperium into civil war as if they were noble? As if they deserved anything other than fire?"

Ah. There it is. I was wondering when the fanaticism would rear its ugly head.

Iovanus slowly removed his helmet, revealing a face that, although young by the standards of Astartes, was filled with the pocks, minute scars, wrinkles and other imperfections that indicate combat experience. Iovanus then took a deep breath, letting the artificial air flow into his trio of lungs, closing his eyes as he did so. He let the images of firefights past fill his mind, and bring him focus and clarity to do what he felt needed to be done.

An Ultramarine would likely consider all possible outcomes, arriving at a diplomatic solution that benefits all parties. An Imperial Fist would hold their ground with stubborn tenacity, sticking to the belief that they are in the right. Iovanus, however, was neither an Ultramarine nor an Imperial Fist. He was a Luna Wolf. And wolves always go for the throat.

"I have seen things you would not believe. Strike cruisers on fire over Geryta...I watched warp rifts glitter in the dark near the Halo Zone. All these moments would be lost like tears in the rain...if your fanaticism got the better of those present." Iovanus then began to walk slowly towards the offending Marine.

"I know of your kind, Templar. I did not fight with him, but I heard stories of Sigismund in action. But I can say with certainty that, of all the Astartes present, I alone have come closest to fighting with the Emperor, whether you like it or not...and I assure you, He would not take too kindly to being treated like a god. There was a certain emphasis on Iovanus' pronunciation of 'Emperor', as if honouring the being he fought for by refusing to deify him. Regardless, he felt he had made his point to the Templar.
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2022 6:32 pm

Hydrako assessed the Minotaur in a moment, gauging his strengths and weaknesses without breaking eye contact. Draco is grateful to have the support of Assura for the re-entry of the Mortis. he hissed. Pack animals are beyond useful for carrying extra gear. That is all Assura will be carrying. However, I'll be sure to strip your body for ammo and send your relics to your Chapter when you fall. I may even keep your teeth if you're worthy. If. Sapiens interjected then and diverted the conversation.

Hydrako waited for a response. It would be a good one.

+++ with Kriegor Thann +++
Hydrako drifted over to the Red Scorpions Apothecary and Lucius as they discussed the Tyranid threat. He waited in silence until their conversation ended and nodded to Lucius before he spoke. Kriegor, I have obtained a number of candidates for the ritual of becoming aspirants. I must test them for genetic purity before sending them away with recovered geneseed when we return to Erioch. Are you able to do those tests on this ship?
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2022 8:50 pm

Wendigo Bob wrote:
Sylphilis wrote:

Progress is the mistake of the Dark Age, an era of incredible advancement and unfathomable horror. We are all cogs in the great machine of the imperium; a cog attempting to move faster, stronger than the others will at best destroy themselves, and at worse destroy the whole mechanism. If you wish to indulge in such hedonistic excess as is competition, do it when your brothers aren't relying on you.

His reference of "progress" as a positive disturbed Sapiens. The ruinous powers where constantly trying to penetrate the minds of astartes; was the changer of ways trying to influence this one?

"I stand corrected!" Stavross announces for all to hear.
"This fellow astartes is correct! Progress be dammed. Our mission of stagnation is complete. No need to plunder the mortis thule of her treasures, that would be progress and we will have none of that."

Hydrako wrote:
Hydrako assessed the Minotaur in a moment, gauging his strengths and weaknesses without breaking eye contact. Draco is grateful to have the support of Assura for the re-entry of the Mortis. he hissed. Pack animals are beyond useful for carrying extra gear. That is all Assura will be carrying. However, I'll be sure to strip your body for ammo and send your relics to your Chapter when you fall. I may even keep your teeth if you're worthy. If. Sapiens interjected then and diverted the conversation.

He bellows a mocking laugh.
"I'd like you see you try. You may scare children. But I am a minotaur and I shall know no fear."

Callume26 wrote:
Ah. There it is. I was wondering when the fanaticism would rear its ugly head.

Iovanus slowly removed his helmet, revealing a face that, although young by the standards of Astartes, was filled with the pocks, minute scars, wrinkles and other imperfections that indicate combat experience. Iovanus then took a deep breath, letting the artificial air flow into his trio of lungs, closing his eyes as he did so. He let the images of firefights past fill his mind, and bring him focus and clarity to do what he felt needed to be done.

An Ultramarine would likely consider all possible outcomes, arriving at a diplomatic solution that benefits all parties. An Imperial Fist would hold their ground with stubborn tenacity, sticking to the belief that they are in the right. Iovanus, however, was neither an Ultramarine nor an Imperial Fist. He was a Luna Wolf. And wolves always go for the throat.

"I have seen things you would not believe. Strike cruisers on fire over Geryta...I watched warp rifts glitter in the dark near the Halo Zone. All these moments would be lost like tears in the rain...if your fanaticism got the better of those present." Iovanus then began to walk slowly towards the offending Marine.

"I know of your kind, Templar. I did not fight with him, but I heard stories of Sigismund in action. But I can say with certainty that, of all the Astartes present, I alone have come closest to fighting with the Emperor, whether you like it or not...and I assure you, He would not take too kindly to being treated like a god. There was a certain emphasis on Iovanus' pronunciation of 'Emperor', as if honouring the being he fought for by refusing to deify him. Regardless, he felt he had made his point to the Templar.

"Heretic." he hisses through clenched teeth.
"Speak of the God-Emperor or his champion like that again and Ill ensure you never speak again!" he says pointing a gauntleted hand at Iovanus.

"Enough!" boomed Watch Captain Vario as he suddenly stepped between them.
"If you have grievance, solve it in the training cages. Until Iovanus has plead his case on Erioch, he will not be harmed by anyone present under any such circumstances as I deem fit."

He looks back at Iovanus. "You are our guest, but we've had 10,000 years of unending war since Horus' rebellion. The idea of a loyal son of those traitor legions is not one we have seen before. You should expect treatment like this."

Hydrako wrote:
Hydrako drifted over to the Red Scorpions Apothecary and Lucius as they discussed the Tyranid threat. He waited in silence until their conversation ended and nodded to Lucius before he spoke. Kriegor, I have obtained a number of candidates for the ritual of becoming aspirants. I must test them for genetic purity before sending them away with recovered geneseed when we return to Erioch. Are you able to do those tests on this ship?

"I can start on general purity tests. But I don't know implantation success rates or abnormalities for your chapter, those kinds of tests I cannot do here unless I have viable geneseed to compare them against."
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2022 5:17 pm

Sylphilis wrote:

"I stand corrected!" Stavross announces for all to hear.
"This fellow astartes is correct! Progress be dammed. Our mission of stagnation is complete. No need to plunder the mortis thule of her treasures, that would be progress and we will have none of that."

Ah, sarcasm, the delight of the ill-minded. Still, if they felt like lying, I would play along.

"Excellent. We will stop wasting our effort on chasing fairy tales and focus on our priority: destroying the hulk."

Sapiens then turned and left the hall, leaving him no time to respond. He had much work to do, and limited time to do it.
Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 10:14 am

[Scene between Brothers Albrect and Iovannus]

Bleda was reassured the Watch Captain had stepped in before Albrect could work himself into a greater wrath and words reached the point at which blood was required to settle matters of honor.

For that reason it may have been provinence, or possible something more, that allowed Albrect to have been separated from Draco before they freed Iovanus. Bleda shuddered to think how the matter would have stood with Albrect armed and no Watch Captain to step in within the Soulless compound.

[Sapiens, Hydrako and Stavross]

Drawn by the discussion Wilbek comes over.

"Don't worry to much about Draco, Brother Stavross. They grow complicent and stagnant while resting on fading laurels while Assura will wrestle new glory from the Mortis Thule."
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 12:10 pm

Sylphilis wrote:

Thann took the specimens with a grateful, silent nod. "Brother Lucius, it is well to see you again. I hope your time on Castobel was as efficient as the reports read."
It was then that ironbound left them be without another word.  Thann watched him go before speaking again. "With your history and our shared hatred, I am surprised you sided with the mortis thule. You must tell me about what drives you to return. I already know this standing order is simply a pretense. You should know that the astartes here were already split between the thule and castobel. Avincus wasnted Castobel and Vario was pushing for the Thule. There is a unnerving disquiet between the two opinions."

"It is as I said before. I meant what I said, though it was no easy choice. That Castobel might fall pains me greatly." He was of course referring to the defense of his position from only moments earlier. To Lucius, the genestealers and ability of the Thule to come and go within systems as it pleased represented a much larger existential threat to the Imperium at large.

With regard to the factionalism among the Astarted he commented, "What else can you tell me to boost our odds of success? What have you learned in our absence? I can't say that I love the idea of deploying with a Kill Team as resentful to us as Assura."

+++With Iovanus and Albrecht+++

As soon as the word "traitor" was uttered, Lucius turned to see how the moment would play out. Iovanus' response would surely incense the Black Templar, but Lucius allowed the tiniest hint of a smirk. The Novamarines did not venerate the Emperor as a God. While they did venerate the writings of Guilliman's Holy Codex as more or less divine, the Emperor was their Grandfather to them all - not their Lord and Savior.

As it settled down, Lucius approached Iovanus. "Well said, Luna Wolf. You will find that the Novamarines share a much different understanding of the Emperor as do the Templars. We have much preparation ahead of us; I suppose the question on everyone's mind now is how will you spend the time before your trial on Erioch? Will you spend it in quiet contemplation? Or perhaps you would like to deploy with Kill Team Draco. Surely, there is plenty of rust to polish off after a 10,000 year nap."

Lucius grinned widely.

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2022 6:20 am

Grimnir stood silently for a while and listened to what enfolded. He found the bickering between Assura and Draco amusing and he couldn’t fault Stavross’ hunt for glory, but the big bull could be a giant ass. Sapiens didn’t help by taking things far too literally, he no doubt spent to much time with his mind on cogitators and such. The bad words certainly presented a potential problem, if the two kill teams couldn’t coordinate successfully then the mission would be all the harder. Someone would need overall operation command on the ground and he wondered who it would fall too. Hydrako had been a passable squad sergeant in the last mission but he hadn’t seen anything special.

He also considered where the waifs and strays would fit in. Khol, Iovanus, Sapiens and he were all without a killteam, would they be dispersed amongst the two. He assumed as much. No doubt such things would be answered soon.

He turned his thoughts inward he would concentrate on what was within his control for now; preparation. He would learn what he could of the Mortis Thule, he’d not been deployed to a Hulk before and they’d be much to learn from Draco’s deployment de-briefings. They’d be things to also learn from Draco, other details to tease out perhaps that might influence his preparation.

He approached brother Khol. “Greetins’ pup, we might share the same role on this deployment eh. You and I should spend sometime in the training arena’s, shake out any friction before he hit the ground.”
He looked pointedly at both Stravross and Hydrako “Perhaps Draco and Assura should do the same.”
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2022 5:50 pm

Sapiens first downloaded the data from his pict-recorder and armor. This mission’s diversity had generated significant data for his logis-prophecy combat files. The data on the necrons and on the harlequin where of particular value-rarely-faced foes as they where.
With the data uploaded, Sapiens removed his armor, connected his MIU then plunged into the hypno-sensorium tube. He closed his eyes, slowly letting every physical sense fade away. Once he was floating in nothingness, he coaxed the data through the link, reviewing the recordings from the last mission. As these streamed into his overclocked processors, other images, sometimes a few, sometimes millions came forth, highlighting similarities, differences, gradually adding to the statistical analysis. Attack-vectors where improved, evasion-stances refined. The combat-forms of each creature observed identified, segmented,  and rationalised.
One dataset kept generating alerts however. Iovanus. He matched none of the 19 fundamental combatemes I’d recognised amongst the astartes.
The boring but efficient combateme of the ultramarines and most of their successors.
The canny savagery of the space wolves.
The grim stolidness of the minotaurs.
The guarded aggression of the salamanders.
The controlled savagery of the Storm Wardens.
The freewheeling aggressiveness of the White Scars and their successors.  
The finesse with an edge of savagery of the Blood Angels and their kin.
The twitchy precision of the Dark Angels bloodline.
The mechanical precision and anger of the sons of Ferus Manus.
The oddly prescient style of the Blood Ravens.
The forced elegance of the Red Scorpions
The uncompromising resilience of the Sons of Anteus
The disregard of their own life of the Mortifactors
The quiet agility of the Raven Guard
The coordinated combat of the Mentors
The fluid agility of the Rainbow Warriors
The intimidating stances of the Dread Crusaders
The furious destructiveness of the Knights Repentant.
The stoic stances of the Imperial Fists.
None of these matched Iovanus. But with it completed the sequence. Each had focused on a small subset of the evasion-stances possible with an astartes body. Each was incomplete-no wonder I’d struggled so long. But with all of them, the scales fell from my eyes. THE FOURTH SEAL OF LOGIS PROPHECY COMBAT WAS BROKEN!
I jolted awake in the tube and climbed out, still dripping of sensory-deprevation jelly. My equiries where perturbed when I suddenly started crying out “EUREKA! EUREKA! HAHAHA!”, dancing with joy and potentially terrifying any crewman who came nearby and saw a dancing, nude giant covered in slime.
After I regained my composure, I wiped myself down. Exactly 20 combatemes. I…I might have discovered an unexpectedly effective way of identifying bloodlines. Considering at least two of those are verboten, I’d take this information to my grave.
I sent a message.
Iovanus, would you have time to spar? I’ve made a discovery to test.
Back to top Go down
insane935
Senpai
insane935

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 1:08 am

There were difficult times to work with ally Albrecht and wasn't surprised of his reaction with the Luna Wolf, acting as an arse of himself. Khol doesn't trust the newly CROW Astartes either but it's not his position nor Albrecht's to rightly accuse this Luna Wolf as a traitor... yet.

Khol has been so much in his own thoughts lately, he almost forgot his rivalry with Calibos. Seeing him in the darkest corner with his cloak in the hanger and now in the war room, almost makes Khol notice him. Such a Jack off.

As Khol was keeping to himself, reading reports about the Thule, evaluating both killteams since he can be assigned to either one, the Space Wolf Grimnir started a side conversation with him.

Carnelian wrote:

He approached brother Khol. “Greetins’ pup, we might share the same role on this deployment eh. You and I should spend sometime in the training arena’s, shake out any friction before he hit the ground.”
He looked pointedly at both Stravross and Hydrako “Perhaps Draco and Assura should do the same.”

"Brother Grimnir, I appreciate the bone but I'll have to decline. I'm having a barney with myself and I think best I'll train alone. I'll make it bomb myself anyways.", Khol said with an expression that hints of being hurt.

Khol needs to focus on his shooting skills and being focused with bolter weapons proficiency again. Last time he trained against another Astartes, he accidentally shot them, during the time when he focused using his bolt pistols for combat. Never again.

Last edited by insane935 on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 6:04 am

Grimnir frowned at the reply, he'd not expected to be rejected. Something seemed off so he wasn't going to let this 'bone' lie. "Nowt wrong with training by yerself, but yer part of a pack lad. We've not deployed together before and I heard yer like to keep to the shadows, perhaps I heard wrong though." Grimnir folded his arms while he studied the marine in front of him.

"I like nothing better to be out in the field on me own, but I too have to play with others sometimes. Otherwise we get sloppy, yes."

Last edited by Carnelian on Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 8:01 am

+++With Lucius+++

Iovanus had barely turned his back on Albrecht when Lucius spoke his piece regarding Iovanus' future. While it was true that he longed for a chance to contemplate on recent occurences--not to mention a chance to catch up on ten millennia of history--Iovanus instead felt that he should shake off some of the rust that Lucius mentioned. Contrary to his previous attitude regarding Albrecht, Iovanus kept a straight, stern look when speaking to Lucius; loyalty was going to be a touchy subject from hereon in.

"If you would have me, I would stay with Draco. The rust will come off better with Astartes I know, and Astartes that do not doubt my loyalty...or at least keep those doubts to themselves." It was then that a notification came through on Iovanus' HUD: a message from Sapiens, requesting a sparring match. Fate, it seemed, was prepared to give Iovanus a break.

"Speaking of Astartes I know, Sapiens has asked me to spar with him. I guess there's no time like the present to start getting rid of that rust, eh?" With that, Iovanus offered a small nod of respect to Lucius, and began making his way to Sapiens.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 8:18 am

+++With Iovanus+++

"Well said. In my experience, loyalty has always been a matter of action rather than words, but so some... well, you've seen how zealous some can be. It is obviously a much different galaxy now, but there is a place for you in it. Rely on your experiences, Sergeant, and Kill Team Draco will be all the stronger. Enjoy your spar. I don't know Sapiens well, but crack his hard head once or twice for me."

+++After Talk with Thann+++

As things were getting settled, Lucius approached Kill Team Assura once more. If they hadn't seen it before, they would all recognize Lucius as a veteran of the Tyrannic Wars, and an Astartes brother-sergeant at that with the Cingulum marks of honor and leadership on the armor around his throat. Perhaps those honors alone would give some of them an understanding that he knew what he was about when it came to the Tyranid threat. If not, they would surely notice the Iron Skull honors superbly welded to left shoulder armor, as well as the helmet that was clipped to his belt.

"Anyone who is interested in briefing over the intelligence from Draco's last foray aboard the Thule is welcome to join me in two hours' time. There is much to go over and discuss and plan for."

The metaphorical olive branch was set out, and Lucius hoped some would take it.

With that, he moved along, sending a comm-chirp to Hydrako. "We have business, brother."

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 5:24 pm

Sapiens had a sparring room prepared by his helots. It was not often he would fight without his "true" skin, but in this circumstance he was testing his flesh. After cleansing the 3rd seal of knowledge of the necrons, he re-implanted knowledge of astartes. It was not often he would need to do this, but in this case, he wanted to deploy all he could through logis-prophecy combat.

The room was a simple circle, rubbery mats to prevent slipping. Iovanus arrived shortly after myself.

"Brother Iovanus, it is good to see you. I want to test some martial forms. What disciplines did they teach you Luna Wolves?"
Back to top Go down
insane935
Senpai
insane935

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 21, 2022 12:44 pm

Carnelian wrote:
Grimnir frowned at the reply, he'd not expected to be rejected. Something seemed off so he wasn't going to let this 'bone' lie. "Nowt wrong with training by yerself, but yer part of a pack lad. We've not deployed together before and I heard yer like to keep to the shadows, perhaps I heard wrong though." Grimnir folded his arms while he studied the marine in front of him.

"I like nothing better to be out in the field on me own, but I too have to play with others sometimes. Otherwise we get sloppy, yes."

Khol listened carefully to Grimnir's last sentence. It was a conflicting statement for Khol. He has gotten sloppy but from being with others, not from being alone. He can feel that Grimnir is probing him, but in the sense of getting to know him. Maybe he needed to give Grimnir a chance but with a compromise.

"I can tell you are trying a bit hard onto getting to know more about me. That doesn't change my answer... but I offer an alternative. How about we grab a couple of cold wet one's and exchange tactics? Maybe after getting acquainted, I'll be more inclined to train with you.", Khol stated, hoping it won't be taken as an insult. Maybe a cold wet is what Khol needs.
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2022 2:19 am

Wendigo Bob wrote:
"Brother Iovanus, it is good to see you. I want to test some martial forms. What disciplines did they teach you Luna Wolves?"

The sparring room seemed unusually clean to Iovanus--clinically so. He had a feeling that this was not by chance. He had relieved himself of his armour and wargear prior to his arrival, and his body displayed a patchwork of bruises and scars, blemishes which had not quite healed...although spending ten millennia in stasis was likely the cause of their preservation. Sapiens' question caused Iovanus to raise an eyebrow in slight confusion. Had the glories of the Luna Wolves been censored so completely thanks to his gene-father's betrayal? Had their victories and fighting style really gone unlearned for so long?

"We had no 'official' disciplines, if that is what you're after, Brother Sapiens. The Luna Wolves were not measured and calculating like the Ultramarines or the Iron Warriors of old. Our fighting style was more...fluidic. Spontaneous, to a degree."
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2022 10:57 am

callume26 wrote:
Wendigo Bob wrote:

"We had no 'official' disciplines, if that is what you're after, Brother Sapiens. The Luna Wolves were not measured and calculating like the Ultramarines or the Iron Warriors of old. Our fighting style was more...fluidic. Spontaneous, to a degree."

Hm. Unfortunate. I have an interest in historical martial arts, one of which I am reconstructing. My objective today is to test it out. So, come at me!

Sapiens took an apparently relaxed stance, the only visible effort keeping his fists near his midsection.
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 22, 2022 2:43 pm

Time to see if Astartes training has changed much in ten thousand years.

Iovanus did not spend long sizing Sapiens up--indeed, it felt as if Iovanus had been silent for merely a second before he leapt forward in surprising ferocity, catching his partner off-guard with a blow to the sternum. Sapiens' rapid retaliation reminded Iovanus of some of his former squad members, however it reeked of Sapiens' calculating nature. Nevertheless, Sapiens clearly knew what he was doing. But that did not stop Iovanus from letting Sapiens' fist glide past his cheek.

"Do you record and emulate fighting styles from all of your foes?" Iovanus asks between strikes.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 26, 2022 4:06 am

Sapiens tanked the hit, taking no damage. His own return strike was dodged.

It is not necessary to emulate them-merely to understand their mechanics. Statistically likely attack vectors are established based on those parameters, allowing the choosing of optimal evasion and attack stances.

After avoiding the missed strike, sapiens retaliated.
Rolls:
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 26, 2022 5:12 am

Rolls:

Iovanus was forced to take the strike head on, and his follow-up went wide.

"Do you account for unpredictability in your calculations?"
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 26, 2022 6:07 pm

callume26 wrote:
Rolls:

"Do you account for unpredictability in your calculations?"

Damage:

Sapiens kept analysing his foe's position, as they entered stance aleph-11; 82% chance of movement along vector D. There was no need for wasted effort, unneficient movement; Sapiens simply moved his finger so his foe's trajectory would meet it, hitting a nerve cluster that only revealed itself for a fraction of a second in that stance..

To a point. Beings are far more predictable than most assume. Mechanics imparts strict limits in stances, movement, modes of attack. Just as physics limits how any individual weapon might be used. In that last attack, I chose the most probable approach-82%. There where a dozen other possibilities above a 1% probability. But the chance of something truly unpredictable is below 1%. Except for true warp-creatures; their unstable nature makes prediction impossible.

Sapiens observed the damage his strike had done.

Perhaps I should focus on testing defense; it is the part that needs validation.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 2:40 am

+++ Mess deck +++

The mess desk that served the Astartes aboard ship was quiet until Grimnir hefted a keg of Mjød on to the table in front of Khol. There is an eager look in the wolfs eyes, he'd been long in the field and some horns of ale to wet his whistle was very welcome. He hands Khol a drinking horn "Mjød should be drank from one of these." Grimnir smashes the top of the barrel with his fist before dunking in the matching horn not caring that some was spilt, he gestured for Khol to do the same.

Grimnir raised his horn to Khol "Honour to the wolves and raptors, eh lad.", he nods his head in respect to Khol before downing his drink and getting another before sitting on the long bench opposite.

"Fine idea, much prefer a fine Fenrisian ale as opposed to training after sitting in the mud fer so long." He takes another long gulp and then smacks his lips "So Khol, I know little about the Raptors but what I do know is that you make good scouts. Now perhaps who might be surprised or not but me brother wolves do not make good scouts, to head strong and rowdy, impatient for the kill. There are a rare few of us though who are touched by Lokyar, the Great Lone Wolf. So I take scouting seriously, to many chapters just thinking its a neophytes job. I'm thinking you might be the same?"
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2022 2:43 pm

Hydrako considered what Kriegor said. It would have to do. The Cull would have to fight for survival until they returned to Erioch. He nodded once. That would be appropriate. I do not have time for the weak. I will bring them to your medbay shortly, for review. With that, he drifted away towards the brig.

He found the candidate from Castobel still in its cell with the lights shut off. He doubted it had been let out for PT, or contact with anyone outside the servitor gaoler, delivering food, but that was good. Let it brood with its hatred. Adding the other four will further strengthen the group. He unlocked the cell door, eyes instantly adjusting to the gloom, and saw it laying on the cell's berth as if asleep. He could hear from its breathing and heartbeat that it was doing no such thing, but he was curious to let the ruse play out.

Get up, he hissed. No response. I will eat your left hand, if you do not get up. Still no movement. Hydrako was suddenly at the initiates side pulling it's left hand to his mouth, when there was a flash coming towards his face from the right. With comical slowness, Hydrako watched a crude shiv made from a serving tray try to stab him in the temple. He casually swatted it away, and lifted the candidate off the floor by the one arm, like a toddler. Slow. Predictable. Try harder. He set it down on the ground between him and the cell door. We are going to the Apothecary to test your suitability. For your sake, you should pray you are viable. Walk. With that he shoved it out the door and down the corridor on the left.

He tracked the others by smell, and found them in another cell sitting in each of the corners, staring at each other with wild eyed suspicion. They clutched their scrimshaws tightly in bloodied hands, as if to ward off any misfortune that may come from one of the other occupants. Lying in a cold pool in the center of the cell was a body. Hydrako hissed at them all. Get up. They all bolted upright and followed in Hydrako's wake as he left, silently, warily.

Kreigor Thann was in his med bay looking through the eye pieces of a microscope, studying something intently. Hydrako stood in the shadows with the initiates, and waited. They all stood in sullen silence behind him, too afraid to get too close, but more afraid of bolting and what would happen when they were caught. I have these candidates for you to inspect, to sort. They are of appropriate age, and spirit, but their physical qualities are still in question. He laid a hand on the shoulder of the one from Castobel, which made it flinch in anger. This one, I have doubts for. It still clings to its former life. If there are any flaws in its makeup, inform me and I will deal with it. With that, he turned and swept his gaze over the others. Stay here until I return...he didn't need to add the rest of the threat. They could all remember the departure from the planet below.

Hydrako left them then to find Lucius.
Back to top Go down
callume26

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 7:31 am

Wendigo Bob wrote:
"Perhaps I should focus on testing defense; it is the part that needs validation."

Sapiens' strike was perhaps the hardest blow Iovanus had ever received in a sparring match. In that moment, he was caught between awe and disbelief; awe at how strong Astartes could truly be, but disbelief in the fact that a warrior's fighting style could be reduced to numbers and predictions. It went against his nature, but each Astartes was different according to the gene-seed of their Primarchs, so it was natural that such diversity was present. That did not mean Iovanus had to like it.

"As you wish." was all Iovanus replied as he pulled himself off the floor and resumed a fighting stance as best as he could--Sapiens' blow had done a number on him. Iovanus then unleashed a flurry of blows, testing Sapiens' defences as instructed.

Rolls:
Attack Rolls
61 - Fail
3 - Crit, 6 DoS
62 - Fail
56 - Fail
62 - Fail
6 - 5 DoS
24 - 3 DoS
58 - Fail
64 - Fail
35 - 2 DoS
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC   Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chapter 6.1 - Engines of Hate - IC
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next