A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

[Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided Empty
PostSubject: [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided   [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 5:17 pm

Edited with clear notes on theme, genre and more.

In the past, the city was at war with itself; the great corps fought endlessly for control, currency and consumers. By the labor of the founders of unity, they where Undivided, brought together for the good of all, and the metropolis was re-named Unity City. Once again there was peace. Skull Throne Enterprises, Changeco, PleasurePrince Inc. and Grandma Nurgle's Friendly Megacorporation finally in balance.
But some attempt to disturb the peace; the so-called cult of E works with the unfortunate, trying to subvert them against their own people; conservative obstructionist plot against the glorious city, calling it an unnatural abomination; foreigners speak of a "greater good" that expect total subservience. We must come together to fight these enemies who would see our way of life, our progress, be destroyed! Freedom requires sacrifice, and we must all contribute! Join me in using the new Realm app, to promote city values and bring to light those who go against them!

Mayor Abbadon Unity Day Speech

Hello folks,

I've been thinking for a while about trying out a more narrative game, so I've decided to organise one. It is set in a weird realm, Unity City; a city seemingly without an exit (or an entrance); where millions live their lives day-to-day trying to survive or thrive. Somehow, the structure of the 40k galaxy seems to be reflected here in weird ways, though chaos is far more dominant here. I've chosen a more modern setting (as far as tech-level is concerned) as I feel modern life can serve as a good setting to explore the notions of chaos in a less cartoonishly evil way.

-Theme: The lies we tell ourselves AND/OR The arbritrary nature of truth AND/OR When perception becomes reality

What you will be: The group will be a group of random friends (ways how they are friends TBD by players) who want to become famous. Experientially, it would be a mix of problem-solving and flashy stunts. More Josie and the pussycats than scoobie-do

-Modern/semi-modern would represent a tech level close to the modern day, maybe a bit more advanced. A relatively low-tech cyberpunk. And while it will be divorced from 40k (in that you wont see space marines running down the street) it is still a twisted reflection of 40k and its relationships.

-Tone: The tone would be comedic to semi-serious. I hope to address certain difficult concepts (tied to social/economic class, the emergent properties of society, the ills/strengths of a capitalist society bent on self-satisfaction, convergence towards extremes (of existence, personality, etc), and more), and comedy seems like a good focus to keep the tone light while exploring the principal theme.

-Genre: Something between absurb sci-fi (à la Hitchhikers guide), cosmic/existential horror and "secret world"-type stories

The basic rules will be fairly simple; the reputation/alignement/corruption system of Black Crusade will be transported into a calmer, slice of life modern setting. You will of course get advantages depending on your reputation/alignement; though take care not to get too full of yourself lest in lead to your downfall (corruption) (Still working on the homebrew system document)

So, any interested?

Last edited by Wendigo Bob on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:14 am; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided   [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 6:44 am

Hello fellow Bob,

Got a couple of questions about this game here -

What do you mean by "modern" or "semi-modern?" Do you mean like closer to our world/reality, and more divorced from 40k?

What tone are you going for here? And what types of things might the players be doing in game?

From your post these things are a little unclear to me and I just feel like recruiting might be tricky if people don't understand what you're trying to do with the game.

Certainly seems interesting to me, but I'd like to learn more first, though I'm weighing whether I have time for another game anyway

he/him
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided   [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 9:16 am

I'll agree I need to define it better. Its still a bit nebulous in my head, but I can at least answer your questions. I shall use these answers

-Modern/semi-modern would represent a tech level close to the modern day, maybe a bit more advanced. A relatively low-tech cyberpunk. And while it will be divorced from 40k (in that you wont see space marines running down the street) it is still a twisted reflection of 40k and its relationships.

-Tone: The tone would be comedic to semi-serious. I hope to address certain difficult concepts (tied to social/economic class, the emergent properties of society, the ills/strengths of a capitalist society bent on self-satisfaction, and more)

-Genre: Something between absurb sci-fi (à la Hitchhikers guide), cosmic/existential horror and "secret world"-type stories

(I've added further info in the first post)
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided   [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 10:17 am

Ok, so as to what you folks are going to do, I've thought a bit and it should be centered around living in peculiar times.

The setup would be a group of school friends trying to maintain their relationship and find smoe control in a city going through some turmoil.
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided   [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 5:15 pm

Wendigo Bob wrote:
Ok, so as to what you folks are going to do, I've thought a bit and it should be centered around living in peculiar times.

The setup would be a group of school friends trying to maintain their relationship and find smoe control in a city going through some turmoil.

Still a little vague still unless you're going for a city sandbox (like my Vortex game but more localized). If it's more party based then what are this group of friends up to? Solving mysteries and while dealing with family life (ie. Tales From the Loop), criminals working for the crime bosses or corporations (ie. Blades in the Dark, Shadowrun), working as/with the revolutionists to change the city (ie. Spire)? The party needs to have a clear idea of what it's getting itself into and what they are trying to accomplish.

Going with your base idea: "group of school friends trying to maintain their relationship and find some control in a city going through some turmoil" Akira and City of God might help give some ideas of what the PCs goals and what "type" of game you want to run.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided   [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided EmptySat Mar 30, 2019 10:10 am

Solodice wrote:

Still a little vague still unless you're going for a city sandbox (like my Vortex game but more localized). If it's more party based then what are this group of friends up to? Solving mysteries and while dealing with family life (ie. Tales From the Loop), criminals working for the crime bosses or corporations (ie. Blades in the Dark, Shadowrun), working as/with the revolutionists to change the city (ie. Spire)? The party needs to have a clear idea of what it's getting itself into and what they are trying to accomplish.

Going with your base idea: "group of school friends trying to maintain their relationship and find some control in a city going through some turmoil" Akira and City of God might help give some ideas of what the PCs goals and what "type" of game you want to run.

You are right, I need to be more specific. As the game will largely focus on reputation and personality, I believe this is best:

The group will be a group of random friends (ways how TBD) who want to become famous. Experientially, it would be more tales from the loop, with more problem-solving and flashy stunts rather than mysteries.

The three stats will be:

Fame (as black crusade infamy)
Ego: (as black crusade corruption)
Alignement: As god alignement
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided   [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 7:34 am

Sorry, but Im full up on the games Im in/running.

But I will say to any others who are interested is that it will be a great game, due to the detail and effort/time you put into all your posts. It will also be consistent, unlike several that have been started and died out.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided   [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 5:43 pm

Sylphilis wrote:
Sorry, but Im full up on the games Im in/running.

But I will say to any others who are interested is that it will be a great game, due to the detail and effort/time you put into all your posts. It will also be consistent, unlike several that have been started and died out.

Thanks for the props! And I do have plenty of free time, so being consistent wont be too difficult. Plus I love RPGs, it really gets my creativity going and I love it.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided   [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 7:58 am

This seems very interesting, and like Syl said, the detail is going to be insanity.

Currently, I am stretched well thin. Going to have to opt out, but I really hope it gets off the ground!

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided   [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 8:02 am

Well, I think I'm going to poke around in some of the RPG facebook groups I am linked to. See if I can rustle up some peeps.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided   [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 8:04 am

Real talk, bringing new blood onto the forum is what we are in need of. All dedicated Roleplayers are welcome.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided   [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided EmptyTue Apr 09, 2019 7:14 am

Well, havent had much success attracting folks for now. I think the proposal might seem too mundane. I'll put it on ice for now, though if I ever get enough interest I will revisit the question.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided   [Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided Empty

Back to top Go down

[Waiting for sufficient players] A city undivided
Page 1 of 1