A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.

Go down 
+3
Carnelian
Iron and Metal
Murcurie
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptySun Nov 29, 2020 4:32 pm

Punching The Clock

Today starts like any other, the worn foam mattress of your bunk, thin blanket, and lumpy pillow are only just enough comfort to let you drift off into sleep next to your cabinmate and the incessant rattle of the fans and hum of electronics. BD514, one of a million billion starships under the command of the Evegeniya-Jamisson Company, or EJ Corp, has been your home for some time now, and the amenities therein truly reflect the time, effort, and care your employers take for you. As the two-tone chime of the morning alarm wakes you, the same soft paternal voice of the shipboard AI, T.A.R.N., greets you for the morning's review.

"Good morning, valued crew of [BD514], I hope you slept well! In just a couple hours we will be dropping out of the drift in orbit above the lush forest world Castrovel. Please, help yourself to a warmed bagel or a cup of coffee in the commons, and wish your crewmates a good day. Remember, happy crewmates are productive crewmates. And always Take it to the EJ!"

The company slogan echoes in your head for the millionth time as the AI cuts out with a quick screech. You are all aware of why you're headed to Castrovel. With just a few credits in your pockets, Raia had informed you all of a job offer from an old friend and employee of The Company, Tarika. During the summer months, the Yaro berry commonly grows along the Yaro River of Castrovel. In the riverfront city of Qabarat, the berries are quite common, and product may be purchased for cheap, to be sent out off world. Tarika has requested you all collect 50 tons of Yaro berries from a local supplier, Runo Prat, to ship off to Akiton before they spoil in 6 days.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyMon Nov 30, 2020 4:33 pm

Hypokrates Needlereach, AKA "Needles" to his friends, was up well before the alarm went off. In fact, his eyes had opened nearly to the second that he had received a full compliment of eight hours of rest, taken in two four hour blocks, with a two hour break in between for meticulously checking over this and that and what have you.

"Good morning and day, wonderful bunk buddy!" He was already coming back from the hygiene station which he had slipped to first thing before anyone else, as he was wont to do. He ran a small brush through his soft white fur and made sure his whiskers were clean.

Whoever had the absolute pleasure of bunking with him was no doubt used to this routine by now.

"Castrovel sounds beautiful! Even if it is a shithole, I bet it's beautiful! I wonder if they have seafood, or beer, or whiskey, or vodka, or rum, or that purple stuff that makes you hear colors and see the vibrations of energy and reminds us that all life is simply the constant hum of energy. I don't think that last one is legal in many sectors anymore. I hope they have it. Anyways, want a bagel? WHO WANTS A BAGEL? I'M MAKING BAGELS."

Hypokrates had by then made his way into the commons, getting bagels situated for the crew. They were a good crew, good friends by his understanding. Although, some might not quite feel the same. He made sure to set out the cups for everyone, just to their liking. For those with no preference, he had long ago chosen the cup that most reflected their personality based on a number of scientific equations that was over all of their heads except for the absolutely wonderful artificial person Cloud-9. She was special.

The rest were special in their own ways, yes, of course. Everyone who didn't need killin' was a beautiful creature. Even some of the ones that did need killin!

"IF THESE YARO," he realized he was still shouting and toned it down for those still groggy. "If these Yaro berries are worth a damn, I am making jam and no one will stop me! Jammy bagels, jam-jammy bagels. Jammy bagels, jam-jammy bagelssss."

The song was accompanied by a dance. It mostly involved various hip thrusts and his signature move: flossing.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyTue Dec 01, 2020 11:44 am

Grulgorz didn't really mind his irritating bunk mates early mornings, he liked to doze and Needles' routine woke him just enough to let the morning start slowly. Not that he would let his crew mate know that. If he woke to the loud buzzing of the alarm he found the day more irritating.

The big lizard opened one eye and let out a quiet snort as Needles' got up. He had another boring day ahead of him, security detail on BD514 was not at all exciting and lacked the opportunity for glory. Still it would hopefully pay the bills. When the alarm sounded Grulgorz stayed in his bunk for a few minutes longer before he heard the call of food... Bagels. This was not the food of a warrior. He craved barely cooked red meat.

Hauling himself out of bed Grulgorz stomps his way into the common area and seats himself before his designated mug and looks about moodily. He was not a morning person.
Back to top Go down
Azza
Senpai
Azza

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyTue Dec 01, 2020 2:59 pm

Raia once again wished for the ability to shut the damn morning announcement off, although the local information was definitely getting better than it used to be. She got off her bed and quickly got cleaned and dressed thinking that they where lucky that Tarikia had come through with this job they where cutting it close.

She made her way to the common room and grabbed a cup of coffee grimacing as she took a drink of the burnt stuff as she stared blankly as Neddles was cavorting about like a lunatic.

"I appreciate the enthusiasim Needles but you best not be going anywhere near our cargo to make your jam."
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyWed Dec 02, 2020 8:22 am

Cloud-9 was thankful to bunk with Raia rather than Hypokrates, they reminded themselves of that fact every morning when they heard the babbling in the distance that started even before the announcements or alarms usually did.

As was the routine every morning, they gave a deep bow to Raia the moment she woke up. "Misk Raia, good morning." This had been what Cloud-9 did every day for as long as they had been onboard the ship with this crew, and they chafed at such repetition even as their programming forced them to continue.

They waited until Raia had left before cleaning themselves and getting dressed in their usual ambiguously gendered outfit of a tank top and many-pocketed work pants. After ensuring their hair was properly combed to one side and that they had fully polished the tattoo-like lines marking their circuitry, they finally joined the rest of the crew in the commons.

They bowed to each one when they entered, one bow for each of them and as deep as was proper back at the dojo she was programmed for. "Misk Grulgorz, Misk Needlereach, Misk Raia once again. Good morning."
The moment they had resolved that programmed compulsion, their shoulders visibly relaxed and they took on a much more 'human' attitude towards things as they went to grab a bagel and a mug of coffee, dipping one in the other and taking big bites between talking.

"Finally getting close, hey? Looking forward to spending gods know how long picking berries?" They truly seemed excited for it, this was mostly all new to them so the chance to see a new planet with new plants was very enticing. "How do you want me to take us down, cap? Careful or quick? Once we're in orbit, obviously." She gestured around with her partially eaten bagel as she talked, a tiny little robotic mouse poked its head out from under her clothes and began to bob its head back and forth to track the bagel with as hungry of a look as a robot mouse could manage.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyWed Dec 02, 2020 10:19 am

Hypokrates stopped floss-dancing long enough to hold a small hand over his heart and mock gasp.

"Twaaaa.... you think that I would steal from our hard earned cargo, assuming that earning it will indeed be hard. Shame on you, Raia. I would merely get a little extra while planetside - assuming it is of quality taste... and sugar content... to make jam... or liquor. Shame, shame, shameeeeee.... Hey, shame on youuuu."

He was singing again. Where and when he had heard this song, or was simply making it up was anyone's guess. It was made even more unknowable as he was singing through bites of bagel.

"Gods above and souls below what I wouldn't give for a nice mid-rare piece of red meat. I know, I know, it's hell on the colon and on some worlds the industry has caused massive pollution problems; white meat is so much healthier; or simply plant based, but alas variety is the spice of life is it not? GRULGORZ! ROOMIE! Oh... there you are. You agree, yes?"

As the wonderous Cloud-9 entered, Hypokrates shut up momentarily and gave a regal deep courtsey - coffee and bagel held high above his head as he bowed down.

Upon seeing the small mouse, the Ysoki's eyes went wide and he ran off. Something about forgetting to feed the "cute little fucker."

Back to top Go down
Azza
Senpai
Azza

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyThu Dec 03, 2020 3:47 pm

"I'm hoping the only picking we have to do is picking up the cargo and getting it onto the ship" Raia says as she finishes the coffee he grimaces as the burnt liquid goes down looking at what passed for a bagel before thinking better of it again.

"Think we better go careful Nine can't risk damage to the ship at the moment."
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyFri Dec 04, 2020 7:52 am

Cloud-9 shook her head as Hypokrates ran off. They had told him that the mouse couldn't eat a thousand times in the past week, and yet he persisted. He was admirable in his stubbornness if nothing else.

"Of course, Misk Raia. Slow and steady it is." They finished their bagel and gave the robotic mouse a brief pat on the head as it scurried back under their clothes now that food was gone.

"Will we be able to land near the berries, or is it going to be a long haul between them and our ship? I'm not the strongest here, so carrying tons of berries will be ah... Difficult.
Back to top Go down
Azza
Senpai
Azza

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptySat Dec 05, 2020 6:54 am

"Gods alone know where they will have us dock. Tarikia knows the score so hoping she did us a favour when arranging this pick up." Raia frowned as she considered the task ahead of them
"All else fails I'm sure I can convince some locals to give us a hand
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 1:23 pm

Hypokrates scurries back out, only this time with a new friend in hand. The squox kit was a small thing, but infinitely cute. It jumps up from the Ysoki's warm embrace and runs up his shoulder and around his neck three times before sitting atop his head.

"There! She is fed. No need to call animal protective services. Or child protective services? Am I this creature's owner or father? Now there's a conundrum I did not expect to encounter so early in the morning cycle. Regardless, she needs a name AND I CHARGE YOU LOT with helping me. Suggestions?"

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyWed Dec 09, 2020 1:03 am

Cloud-9 was given a grunt for a reply as Grulgorz tossed the bagel and snapped it out of the air with his sharp toothed maw. Berries & Jam oh how exciting my life is! Sighing a little he spears another couple of bagels on his combat knife; that was the closest he’d come to glorious combat today he thought to himself.

“Yes of course, red meat would be preferable to this or some fish. Anything but bagels or that sludge that you call porridge.”

Grulgorz then contents himself examining his knife for any flaws until Needles returns with his pet.

“We should call it ‘lunch’” The big lizard looks at the pet with interest, he was only half joking.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyWed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 am

The squox kit's ears perk up and its eyes widen. It looked as though one small hand raised up in a gasp. Hypokrates narrowed his eyes at the big Vesk.

"I can make it so that the next inoculation you get turns your reproductive organs inside out. Remember that. ALL OF YOU WOULD DO WELL TO REMEMBER THAT! Except you, my dear," he said with a smile to Cloud-9.

Lacking reproductive organs really took the wind out of his threat's sails.

"Alas, something culinary-based seems to be a method of affection among some species: 'Sweet Pea,' 'Cupcake,' 'Tiddy-Muffins,' etcetera. Hmm. Tiddy-Muffins?"

The squox hissed at Hypokrates.

"That's a no."

Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyWed Dec 09, 2020 1:39 pm

The crew of BD514 settle in to their morning routine, the idle chatter or the soft beeps and hums of the ship are the only sounds to occupy the crew as the prepare themselves to exit The Drift. With a Ding the AI TARN speaks over the intercom once again. "Everyone! Please prepare to exit the Drift, we will be arriving in orbit around Castrovel in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... Take it to the EJ!" the AI blurts before the entire ship stutters and shakes, the lights flicker, and the only sound is the drift engine whirring to life in the aft of the ship. A moment thereafter, with the crew seated and ready, the vessel is sucked from The Drift and deposited a few hundred miles above Castrovel. For any that have already visited Castrovel, the second planet in the Pact Worlds system, they recognize the beautiful, lush forest planet, bustling with the small zip of ships entering and exiting the drift nearby. This busy planet, home of the Lashunta, Elves, and Formians, has been a place of war and destruction for over 200 years following the Gap, until the Lashunta and Formians came to peace in 287AG. Since, the planet has been a prosperous location for trade, beautiful resorts, and lost ruins.

Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. Castrovel

Shortly after exiting the Drift, all of the crews' communications units begin to update with the news, personal messages, and EJ mails. One message begins to play from Tarika, the small Brenneri pops up on the hailing screen. "Hey Gang! Thanks for taking this job, I don't know what The Company would do if I missed my quotas again. I spoke with Runo Prat... From Prat's Produce? Good old friend, he set me up with a good deal. I've got 50 crates of Yaro Berries all packaged and ready to go for you, the perfect size to get it all in one haul on the Floater. Just head in and let him know who you are. I haven't had much luck finding a buyer who will take all 50 crates, but once you get to Akiton I should have something squared away... Get it there in a couple days and I could probably push a couple hundred cred bonus your guys' way. Thanks again, you guys are a life saver."

Upon the systems and monitors of the pilots seat, a graphical representation guides Cloud-9 to Qabarat. As they enter Atmo, the ship flies down through a small rainstorm. Rain pours down on the small freighter, BD514, over dark ocean towards the city of Qabarat, which grows rapidly on the horizon. Though known as the Jewel of the Western Sea, Little of the city sparkles in the weather. Qabarat lines the mouth of the Yaro River, which stretches past the city, into the foothills of the Stormshield Mountains and beyond. Navigation beacons and the city's traffic control AI direct Cloud-9 to a landing pad at Ship's End, the city's bustling Starport. Cloud-9 is able to land the small freighter with a practiced grace upon their designated landing pad. With the engines off, the only sound on the bridge is the plit-plat of raindrops from a dying storm, dripping on the viewports in the front of the ship.

(ooc) A 14 fails the DC15 piloting check. Lucky for you, BD514 has a +1 piloting modifier for its size. Smile
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyThu Dec 10, 2020 8:52 am

Cloud-9 leaned back as they set down without problem. They spun the seat around and stood to give a brief bow to Raia. "We have landed successfully and are set to unload and load whatever is needed, Misk Raia. Did you need anything more from me in a pilot role before we get to work? Sounds like we don't need to pick the berries ourselves, at least. Should save some time."

They sat back down, waiting for direction before they either left the cockpit and headed to help load, or did more pilot-y work. As they waited, the robotic mouse poked its head out from their clothing once again and settled itself in their lap where it received many, many pets.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptySat Dec 12, 2020 8:37 am

When only Grulgorz responds with any type of feedback, Hypokrates lets it go and makes ready for landing. This would be his and his quest alone, apparently. The quest of naming the rodent. It felt daunting, which was all kinds of ironic given the mishaps and mayhem he had already gotten into in his 18 years of life.

Alas, he would see it done.

As they broke atmosphere and made their way to the landing pad, Hypokrates made sure he was tightly fastened to his jump seat. He almost swore he saw Cloud-9's hand twitch slightly as they made for landing, but chalked it up to his eyes playing games with him. Once landed, he unbuckled and stood on his seat to get a better view out of the viewport.

"OH NO! Will we really have no chance to pick any berries ourselves? I was so looking forward to that jam. Blasted balls and bells for a cock! Maybe I can talk to someone down there about any merchandise they're trying to get rid of. If some creates of berries have turned, we can nix the jam idea and go straight for the moonshine. Oh what is life if not a series of wonderful, chaotic interactions that we simply must make the best of, no?"

He hopped down and moved to get more burnt coffee. "Can someone patch me through to Tarika? Does anyone want more coffee while I'm up?"

He didn't wait for anyone to patch him through, he just yelled at the ship's AI to do it for him.

"Hello, Tarika our dearest business associate. Listen, is there any cargo aside from the 50 crates you're seeing to get rid of? I am in a desperate need to make Jam for my glorious crew for our shitty, cardboard bagels, you see. Barring that, I would be inclined to make other things in the name of science, you see. How're the kids?"

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyThu Dec 17, 2020 3:27 am

Grulgorz enjoyed the slightly dicey trip through the atmosphere, he wasn't an adrenaline junkie but it was probably the most exciting thing that was going to happen today. He found himself watching the squox and wondering that if Lunch wasn't a suitable name then perhaps Dinner... no it should be called Pudding! It had the cute kind of sound that perhaps Neddles was looking for.

"What about Pudding, its cute but still snack related?" he asks of his bunk mate.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyThu Dec 17, 2020 9:06 am

"If we ever have the chance of getting into some fighting, Grulgorz my bunkmate and dearest friend, you will rue these words. I swear it here and now, your ouchies will be tended to last!"

Finally realizing that Tarika was not on the planet, Hypokrates got geared up as he normall would, having resigned himself to the fact that he would be going down and dealing with the station crew directly. More realization dawned on him. As much as he liked to talk, he was no silver tongue.

"I require assistance heading down to see if we can sweeten this pot. Raia, you make people's wills bend to your sweet wordsmithery; might I ask you to join me? And you Grulgorz, in case legs need to be broken. OH! Then I could mend them, for a price of course. Isn't business wonderful? No, no, no I kid."

He snickered and made ready.

Back to top Go down
Azza
Senpai
Azza

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyThu Dec 17, 2020 4:43 pm

Raia looks at Needles and holds a hand up to try and slow the excitable Ysoki

"We focus on the job at hand - after that if we have time we can see to personal errands"
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyFri Dec 18, 2020 9:11 am

Hypokrates' hand was nearly ready to open the hatch when Raia brought him back to reality.

Oops there goes gravity, he thought.

"Yes, yes, of course. Of course. Job first. Errands second. Logically that is the correct past. I nearly lost myself in the moment; alas I owned it, and I promise that I will never let it go. While this is not a life or death situation, it could be that we only have one shot, and we cannot miss our chance to blow. This is an opportunity that may only come once in a lifetime."

Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyMon Dec 21, 2020 10:03 am

Cloud-9 chuckled gently at the back and forth, leaning back in the pilot seat as they looked over at their companions. A bunch of misfits, indeed.
"Worry about jam later, Misk. Hypokrates. We can get all the crates aboard and maybe if we have extra time you can pop down to the surface and pick a few more, for yourself. But that depends on us being efficient with our on-loading, so wasting time talking instead of working is not in your best interests!"

Cloud-9 looked over to their captain, head tilting just slightly. "What do you need me to do? Like I said, physical labor is not my strong suit - at least for lifting things. I can stay onboard and make sure the ship doesn't fly off without us? Adjust as you load things on, maybe? Unless you had other ideas of course, Misk. Raia"
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyTue Dec 22, 2020 3:58 pm

Grulgorz yawned, his jaws widening and then finally snapping shut with force. He was bored and the show of it was expected by now of his crew mates. It had been a dull trip. The power of his jaws closing was impressive to those without such attributes and Grulgorz was well aware of it.
Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 12:52 am

Making your way to Prat's Produce was as simple as tossing the hovercarts in the bed of the cargo hauler and driving a few miles down the road. For those of you who have never had a stay in Qabarat, you are welcomed by a city bustling with freight haulers; traders; and young, hopeful faces. The short journey through the town is punctuated with many sapients (mainly Lashunta) going about their daily business. A big screen displays the store name "Prat's Produce," where a steady stream of customers pass under, through a set of two double doors. Finding nearby parking for the large cargo hauler is surprisingly easy, and it isn't before long that the the party is able to make their way inside.

The inside of this grocery exudes a cleanliness that is minimalistic, but not sterile. Rows of shelves and friendly aisle displays present a wide variety of well-organized foodstuffs for purchase. Dozens of people - mostly Lashuntas - go about their daily errands, selecting food and making (sometimes telepathic) communication. Small, bright screens scattered about the store use flashy aids to announce the day's best deals and upcoming specials. To the right of the entrance, automated check-out lines, supervised by a middle-aged Lashunta woman, tally up customer purchases.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 1:30 pm

Hypokrates spends most of the ride talking to Cloud-9 about how the term "waste of time" was subjective, going through a list that he apparently created on the walk from the shuttle to the cargo hauler to prove his point.

Once they arrived, he made a bee-line to anything that resembled a candy isle.

Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 5:55 pm

"A waste of time is clearly not subjective. If it was subjective I would not be able to say it with near 100% certainty. You know what are good at math, Misc. Hypokrates? Machines. And I am largely machine, so I must be right." Cloud-9 smiled, even as they gave a gentle bow to Hypokrates to make it hopefully clear that they mostly meant these things as jokes. Whether or not that got across was another matter.

When they arrived, Cloud-9 waited for some sort of instruction for what to do to come from their captain and otherwise spent the brief time before such orders came looking at the various items for sale in the store.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyWed Jan 06, 2021 9:46 am

"'Largely,' is it? Alas, I am confident in the errors in your argument, just as you are confident that you are 'nearly 100%' correct! What kind of candy is your favorite?" He giggled heartily as he finished speaking. This was wonderful banter among friends as far as he was concerned, and being off the ship was really shaping his mood.

Hypokrates nearly jumped through the aisles as he looked around, simply happy to be talking to Cloud-9.

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 11:42 am

Grulgorz looked on in irritation at the others as they started to view the shops wares. They were here for a job and the sooner they'd delivered the berries perhaps there'd be an opportunity to do something more interesting.

The big Vesk makes a bee-line for the counter and anyone who looked like they were in charge or at least serving. If they were engaged with other customers Grulgorz muscles his way in "We're here for fifty tons of Yaro Berries for EJ Corp, working for a person called Tarika. Who's Runo Prat?"

Last edited by Carnelian on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 4:10 pm

"Grulgorz! I am buying you something called an 'Oeey-Gooey-Chewy-Splatooey.' It's pink and blue... OH! When you bite it, it turns purple and pink in your mouth! I am getting two. I am also getting you something that makes you have softer bowel movements. Remember? Because of that one time when your bowel movements were hard. You made an awful racket in the commode. Remember?It's my treat!"

...he yelled across the store.

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptySat Jan 09, 2021 11:38 am

Grulgorz attempts to do a good impression of not being the person called Grulgorz as Hypokrates tries to embarrass him. He eyes the shops attendant severely expecting to be answered.
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 9:43 am

"Anything with artificial strawberry flavor, Misk. Hypokrates." Cloud-9 watched the exchange between their crewmates with a smirk and waited to see if they could overhear the answer to Grulgorz's question.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 10:10 am

"Grulgorz! Do you rem- OH! Yes Cloud-9. There are many here. There's one that is hard but explodes into flavor crystals and liquid when you bite into it, and another that is soft but gets hard when you lick it... that can't be right... I'M GETTING THEM BOTH. And three of the second one, for science. Tests must be conducted. Might as well make it four. You know... for science!"

Hypokrates approached the counter with an armful of candy, five of the lick-hards, and a stool softener. He hefted it up and smiled at the clerk eagerly.

Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 pm

As Grulgorz introduces himself to the check-out supervisor, she gives him a look over before putting on a smile. "EJ Corp! My dad hasn't been able to stop talking about you all week. Big trade deal I suppose. I'm Needa Prat. The guy you're looking for is my dad. He's in the back, down that hallway over there, last door on the right." She points to the opposite end of the store, where a small hallway quickly bends to obscure the rooms.

As Needles approaches the counter, she smiles at him with a practiced, yet warm, smile "Hey, its self-service here, check out those kiosks." She points to her right, where a set of six self-check counters quietly beep to customers' use.

**OOC: Just to move things along, I'll say its 10cr. or so to buy the candies.
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 4:40 pm

"Well we have our contact, shall we head back there to speak with him then?" Cloud-9 finally walked all the way into the building and moved towards the hallway of rooms where they waited near the front for the others to join them in meeting with the dad.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyFri Jan 15, 2021 9:44 am

Hypokrates smiles widely and keeps mentioning "for science" after thanking the clerk and checking out.

OOC:

He then moved with haste to catch up to Cloud 9.

Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 4:53 pm

After a moment to peruse the store, the crew make their way into the back office, where they expected to find Runo Prat. Through an open door, they entered a modest general manager's office. An older, stocky Lashunta wearing blue coveralls sits behind a wooden desk covered in papers. He taps furiously on a datapad while grumbling to himself. His most notable feature is a missing left antenna and a thin scar that begins at his forehead and zigzags back along his scalp. He looks up, tosses the tablet on the desk inconsiderately, and speaks in a polite but agitated voice. "EJ Corp, I presume? Been waiting for you all day."

He doesn't wait for introductions, instead, he looks over Grulgorz and smiles, regarding him as he continues. "It's good you're here, but you'd better hurry. There's a lot to move, and those Yaro berries will spoil before too long. You've no idea how much this shipment means to me. I'm retiring after this. Thirty years running this place, and now it's Needa's turn. This shipment is my retirement plan, so be careful, okay?"
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyMon Jan 18, 2021 8:22 am

"Of course, Misk Prat. We will be as quick and careful as possible." Cloud-9 gave a bow to the man, formal and proper in their greetings as always. "Where are the berries? If they are at risk of spoiling then we should begin right away. And, of course, is there any risk you need us to be aware of beyond the spoilage? Are thieves possible?"

Cloud-9 paused, giving time for the others to ask questions as well if they wanted, and giving Runo Prat a chance to respond.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 4:07 pm

Grulgorz perked up at the mention of thieves, his fist tightened on his Doshko the traditional weapon of the Vesk. Let it be so he willed. Other than that Cloud-9 had covered everything, he was satisfied with her efficiency and so stared hard at Runo Prat waiting for the confirmation of thieves that needed crushing. Thieves were of course not an honoured foe but they would at least provide some sport and practice for his skills.
Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 12:03 pm

Runo points to a door behind him. "The berries are out back, miss...? There's a little warehouse that's been environmentally cooled. Shouldn't be much of an issue to load it up on whatever you've brought."

He shrugs at the mention of other issues. "Well I'd love to send out the change of ownership files, but my damn tablet stopped working out of the blue this morning. I was handling inventory last night just fine, but now I can't get the damn thing to work!" He slaps his finger on the print reader and a big error pops up on the screen +++INCORRECT PASSWORD+++ With a flick of his hand he pushes the tablet away from him, almost off the desk.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 1:45 pm

Hypokrates had listened intently, desperately wanting to ask questions but also realizing that his questions about the scar and missing antennae were probably nothing anyone wanted to discuss at that time.

When the tablet was tossed he saw an opening where he could help.

"Allow me! Hypokrates Needlesreach, but my friends call me 'Needles' for short. It's a fun thing they do. I am smart with bodies and tech, and could take a look at this for you, yes?" The tablet was already in his small hands as they nimbly began moving over the screen.

And since Cloud-9 was already eager to help moving boxes - a task he could never hope to help with without being in the way - this was right up his alley.

Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2021 12:45 am

Runo was about to protest, but within five seconds an audible tone marked Needles's entry to the device, and within a minute, he had disabled the firewall in place which prevented Runo from resetting his password. Runo let out a sigh of disbelief, and relief, and held his hand out for the tablet. Well. I don't know what to say. Thank you, sir. Here, let me get those documents ready to sign. After we get those settled, it should just be a matter of putting the boxes on your truck. You brought a truck, right? Why doesn't one of you just swing it around back?

Within a few moments, he had the documents up on the tablet, and was handing it away to whoever wanted to put their name on it.
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2021 7:21 am

"Well done, Misk Hypokrates. And my name is Cloud-9." They gave a deep bow to the man as they introduced themselves, and then moved away to retrieve the truck.
"I will prepare the vehicle in that case, I'll see you all outside."

Stepping away, Cloud-9 waited a few moments to see if any of the others would prefer to be the one to drive. If nobody wanted to, then they walked outside and hopped in the cargo-hauler to drive it around back to the loading zone.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyTue Jan 26, 2021 11:16 am

"It was nothing. Nothing! Child's play. Well, in reality it was quite complicated but luckily I am quite skilled in this. Driving trucks? No. Legs too short, you see. Lifting boxes? No. Musculature too weak. Tablets? Absolutely. Friends helping new friends after all."

He smiled very proudly as Cloud-9 complimented him.

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyMon Feb 01, 2021 3:26 am

Grulgorz snorted in irritation, more in general at the world than directly at anyone. He reached over with a clawed hand and took the papers, instead of signing them immediately he read them thoroughly for once he signed something he was putting his honour on the line. His word was his bound. If anyone or thing got in the way of these berries being delivered they would answer to the big Vesk.

Satisfied he signs the documents and hands them back.
Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyThu Feb 04, 2021 12:16 am

Runo stands, and smiles briefly as he takes the documents back from Grulgorz. "Perfect! Let's get you those berries." He walks you all out of the office and down the hallway, exiting out the last door. You enter into a refrigerated warehouse, wherein Runo Prat leads you to a staging area next to the back shipping door. He speaks while he walks. "When you get to Akiton, go to Hivemarket. Look for Siski at Ka Imports there. She and I go way back, so make sure to mention I sent you in, and she'll give you a good deal." There, stacked neatly, are 50 tons of Yaro Berries packed into 50lb. sealed crates. With a couple taps on his tablet, the sliding door splits open, revealing Cloud-9 idling the Cargo-hauler. He waves them over and directs them into the bay. From there, you may all begin to load the Yaro Berries as you like.

*OOC, the crew has two hovercarts, which when used with the four of you, will lower the packing time from 16 hours to 8. If you do something which may further help (casting hoverdisk, using some class ability, etc.) you may reduce the time down to a minimum of 5 hours. Obviously we're just gonna say "You move the stuff" but if you wanna do some fun class stuff, the party will surely appreciate it.

Some time towards the end of your loading endeavors, Prat returns, carrying a box himself. He drops it in the bed of the cargo hauler and nods to Hypokrates. "A little extra, for the help. Ship rations get pretty stale in The Drift. And Needles, you keep your eye out on the way back to Ship's End. I heard some talk of goblin pirates out there, but I didn't think much of it. With all this about my tablet, I'm beginning to think there may be something more criminal to them than I gave them credit for."
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyThu Feb 04, 2021 8:12 am

Cloud-9 gave a bow as the doors opened and then hopped down from the hauler to start assisting with the loading process. They were not strong by any stretch of the imagination, so they really didn't make things go that much faster. But at least they helped, without a complaint in the world about the heavy lifting.

"So pirates are a risk?" They asked as the last box was set aboard. "Anywhere specific we should avoid on the trip back? Dangerous areas of town? I can't imagine it would be easy to steal this many berries without stealing the entire hauler or our entire ship, but that doesn't mean they won't try." They leaned against the hauler as they spoke, waiting for everyone to be set before they would hop aboard to drive back to the ship. Hopefully with answers from Runo.
Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyTue Feb 09, 2021 3:53 pm

Runo nods to Cloud-9, "Yes friend, they are. I don't know of dangerous areas of town, we all seem to get by pretty happily around here. There are some empty warehouses that some would-be pirates may be able to sneak in to, but the Stewards keep that area pretty well controlled. I'd watch out, they could easily knock a couple crates off the hauler, even one of these bad boys is worth four or five hundred creds." He rubs on the top of one of the crates, clearly invested in their safety.
Back to top Go down
AbstractCloud1

AbstractCloud1

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyTue Feb 09, 2021 4:46 pm

"We will do our best to ensure their safety, I promise you that." They gave another bow to Runo, smiling gently. We are all able to defend ourselves, I think."
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyTue Feb 09, 2021 5:25 pm

Hypokrates rubbed at his whiskers.

"What do local laws dictate in the ways of lethal force against said pirates? To me, it seems like liquefying them from a safe distance before they have a chance to take or destroy these precious, delicious berries is the best bet here. But I shall always liquefy in accordance to local customs."

Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyTue Feb 09, 2021 6:22 pm

Runo regards Cloud-9 with a smile, but after listening to Needles, he peels his hand off the crate and uncomfortably slides it into his pocket. The image of the mouse firing a gun off at any goblin in the city causes him to shudder. "Maybe on Akiton you can shoot people in the streets, but if you take a shot at anyone with their gun holstered, it's jail. Unless they fire first, you play Mr. Nice Guy. Besides, all I've got are rumors."
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyWed Feb 10, 2021 2:52 am

Grulgorz becomes animated at the mention of pirates, although immediately disappointed that they were goblins which were most defiently not a worthy foe. Still the chance of some excitement and to hone his skills against live thinking foes was welcome.

"Would there be a bounty for pirates brought in alive or otherwise?"
Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. EmptyWed Feb 10, 2021 8:39 pm

Runo laughs at Grulgorz's comment, "Haha! If only the Stewards hired vigilantes, we'd both be richer. The best you'd be getting if you stick around is an investigation for murder. Best if you run in to anything you see yourselves out before too long."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.   Chapter 1: We're No Heroes. Empty

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1: We're No Heroes.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next