A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Character Creation

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kobras_Aquairre

Kobras_Aquairre

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 3:31 pm

Discuss character concepts here.

As mentioned in the LINE chat, I was thinking about starting you guys off as free traders and then having you potentially align with factions from there, or maybe stay neutral and push ever further into the Black to escape their influence.

I hope to explore some themes of humanity, morality, and transhumanism throughout the course of the game. That being said, I don't necessarily mind if you guys want to play as a robot or an alien, but I'd prefer if a character like that served to reflect or explore humanity rather than delve into alien worldbuilding.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 12:08 am

I was thinking about maybe a mechanic or pilot, some sort of techie.

What else we got?
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Nitafrong mentioned playing a mechanic in LINE.

All I know so far is I definitely will be a partial psychic (teleport) / married with something else. My stats make me strong at mental skills (Int/Wis) so that might fit with some kind of scientist/techie/doctor... but thinking a warrior who uses his head over brawn might be interesting.

Unsure about the second part. Might wait to see what others choose and fit in with whats needed. I know I do not want to be a merchant or other kind of 'face' character though.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 2:29 pm

So I'm leaning towards a gypsy (performer) / teleport / traveller (vagabond) / assassin (focus) type character.

At least at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Kobras_Aquairre

Kobras_Aquairre

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 4:01 pm

Also, if you guys also want to build your own ship, from scratch I'll allow it. You'd just start with a debt equal to the cost of the ship, owed to some benefactor.

If you don't feel like doing that I'll just start you with the standard free merchant in the book probably.
Back to top Go down
Pendraig

Pendraig

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 4:34 pm

I've had a read through the factions and planets write-ups; impressive work Kobras!

I still think that I might go random generation for my character as I have no particular concepts in mind, plus it seems fitting for a fledgling interstellar freebooter. Smile
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 3:39 pm

I've updated a few bits to my PC sheet.
Mechanically I'm going to be an; Adventurer - Partial Psychic / Warrior
My foci is going to be Assassin.

I've a few questions.
- Does my assassin foci start at level 1?
- Part of rolling a Partial Warrior states 'a free level in a combat focus related to your background'. Does this mean I can take another foci related to combat, including upping my Assassin foci to level 2? Or something else?
Back to top Go down
Kobras_Aquairre

Kobras_Aquairre

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 3:50 pm

1: Yes.
2: Yes, there's no explicit "combat focus" designation though, its sort of at the player's/gm's discretion. You could upgrade Assassin or take a different focus.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 4:02 pm

ok cool. Update my sheet some more. Now onto background / appearance.

Does everything look ok so far?
Back to top Go down
Kobras_Aquairre

Kobras_Aquairre

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 4:11 pm

Yep that all looks kosher! The only other thing I would recommend is marking which pieces of equipment you have Readied (A suit of worn armor always counts as readied btw).

Also you get to add relevant ability score modifiers to damage with all weapons
Back to top Go down
Pendraig

Pendraig

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 4:45 pm

Started character gen. Looking...interesting, so far.  Laughing

Can I assign the 14 once I've rolled for background and/or picked my class, or does it have to be done straight out of the gate?
Back to top Go down
Kobras_Aquairre

Kobras_Aquairre

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 5:15 pm

You can pick your class and stuff first
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyThu Sep 26, 2019 1:09 pm

Tidied up my sheet some. Decided to go armsman.

Now to think of a name, find a pic and write some up appearance,, personality and background.
Back to top Go down
Kobras_Aquairre

Kobras_Aquairre

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 12:58 pm

Ok looks like the characters are almost ready just a couple more things to establish.

-Unless someone wants to make a custom spaceship, I'll start you guys off with a fully stocked standard Free Merchant as described on page 104 of the rulebook and an outstanding debt of 775,000 credits to whoever you purchased the ship from. The ship will need a name regardless.
-Who's the captain of the ship? Do you split the ownership 4 ways or does one of you own it and hire the others? Even if you decide to share the ship evenly, there needs to be a designated captain for official purposes.
-How did you guys meet? Is there any history together or was the crew assembled from job postings?
Back to top Go down
Pendraig

Pendraig

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 2:57 pm

I'll get the rest of my character up this week.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 9:56 pm

Im ok with a stock ship. I like the idea of us working for the captain.I dont want to be the captain.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 2:52 am

I'm ok with working for a captain or part ownership. I also do not want to be captain.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 1:06 am

So Im thinking Im done with the core creation, save for gear. Admittedly, its been 4+ years since I played this game and I was never fluent with the system. If anyone wants to give it a quick look over and tell me what I missed?

As far as PC background goes, Im thinking Ill be an old (50+) man/woman who lost thier family in a horrible something or other and is now drifting with the tides, aimless and adrift.
Back to top Go down
Kobras_Aquairre

Kobras_Aquairre

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 9:43 am

Mechanically looks like you did everything right. A major change from first edition is the way psychic powers work. As it stands right now, you should have the most basic level of the core technique for each of your three disciplines (probably worth writing down on your sheet)
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 1:33 pm

I'd like to get sorted if we either work for a captain (one of us) or if we share the debt before I post IC. What do people think?

I'm leaning more towards part ownership as it gives all of us more investment.
Back to top Go down
Kobras_Aquairre

Kobras_Aquairre

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 11:10 am

I think probably the simplest thing at this point would be to give everyone an equal share in ship ownership. That way we don't need to fiddle around with wages.
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 12:43 pm

Yeah I'm happy to go with equal share in the ship. Seeing as none of us seem to particularly want to be captain, we could do similar, have a split joint authority with maybe a certain character taking the lead in a situation they have the most expertise in? Maybe one of us might naturally seem to slot into a character role as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Empty

Back to top Go down

Character Creation
Page 1 of 1