A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]

Go down 
+4
Carnelian
Sylphilis
Iron and Metal
Theoretical
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Theoretical

Theoretical

[W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] Empty
PostSubject: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 6:29 am

Heresy is like a tree, its roots lie in the darkness whilst its leaves wave in the sun and to those who suspect nought, it has an attractive and pleasing appearance. Truly, you can prune away its branches, or even cut the tree to the ground, but it will grow up again ever the stronger and ever more comely. Yet all awhile the root grows thick and black, gnawing at the bitter soil, drawing its nourishment from the darkness, and growing even greater and more deeply entrenched.
Such is the nature of heresy, and this is why it is so hard to destroy, for it must be eradicated leaf, branch, trunk and root. It must be exorcised utterly or it will return all the stronger, time and time again, until it is too great to destroy.
Then we are doomed.

Galan Noirgrim, Master of the Ordo Malleus

Eradicate Chaos? Hah! One might as well try to exterminate one's own shadow.
Inquisitor Lichtenstein, declared Exocommunicate Traitoris  

Heresy is the infection that gnaws at the foundation of the Imperium. While Xeno's represent a real threat, they are a danger from outside the Imperium, one that unites mankind against the foul alien. Likewise, the main forces of Chaos reside in the Eye of Terror, Daemons and Chaos Marines, a massive threat to the Imperium, but countered by the faith and skill of the Emperor's own forces. Heresy, however, is insidious. It turns the Imperium's own citizen away from the Emperor's light, and attacks at the very infrastructure of the strained Imperium of Mankind. A fractured Imperium stands weakened before it's enemies.

But why would someone choose to look away from the Emperor's light? Why would someone disrupt the very institution that fights for their survival? In some cases, the despotic nature of the Imperium breeds resentment. Long working hours and poor living conditions can cause anyone to ask why. Someone with nothing to lose has no reason not to try to change their situation. Others might simply be looking to expand their power, naked ambition seeing rebellion as an acceptable cost. Sometimes, heresy doesn't have a logical justification, the madness of Chaos reason enough. Each reason is as unique as the individual committing the crime, and each individual sees themselves, not as a heretic, but as something else.

Game:

This will be a play by post game using the Wrath and Glory rule set, at Ascension Tier 1. Players will be playing as burgeoning cultists, following their story from disgruntled Imperial citizens to full blown heretics and revolutionaries. This campaign will take place in the lower levels of a hive city on an Imperial world, set before the events of Gathering Storm / Dark Imperium.

Characters should be Human. Any human archtype in tier one is acceptable, although some finagling will need to be done for some characters. I'm happy to try and bend some rules to make character concepts work, although most cases I can think of can work as written. Characters are expected to follow some kind of path to damnation, instead of paragons of Imperial faith or already damned chaotic cultists. Example characters could include a local PDF trooper who hates the guts of his commander (Guardsman), or an administratium adept, wishing for more power and status than his current station provides (Inquisitorial Adept).

The campaign will be organised in a couple of major story arcs, but there will be a lot of flexibility for player driven stories and content. I'm going to structure the story, as well as key party mechanics, based off choices made by the party. So, not quite an sandbox, but definitely a interactive world that evolves with the choices and decisions of the players.

At the end of each major story arc, if the game goes on that long, I'll be moving up a tier. Surviving characters can be continued (still need to work out rules for this), or new characters made. Hopefully, we can watch our characters move from minor pieces, to major players on the galaxy stage.

I'm looking for 3 to 6 players.

Disclaimers
- This game will involve everyone travelling down the path to damnation, so characters will most likely do some... less than savoury things. If you are uncomfortable with playing the 'bad guys' then I suggest this game wouldn't be for you.
- An exception to the above statement is that I refuse to RP anything sexual. Normally I wouldn't make such a big deal out of this, but given that Slaanesh is a thing, I'm going to be clear about it. I suggest that people focus more on the other 'excesses' in the Dark Prince's repertoire, otherwise I'll insist that certain things happen 'off-screen'. I refuse to run someone's weird fetish game.
- I would like to vet character concepts before starting, just so we're all on the same page for the framework of the game.
- I do have a setting almost ready to go, so I can give more details if people would like.
- If you do not have the rules for W&G, that is ok. Ask on LINE for assistance with the rules.
- While I think I have a good handle on the W&G rules, it is a new game so please be aware that there will be 'growing' pains as we all get used to the rules.

Last edited by Theoretical on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 11:51 am

Fuck it. I am so in for this one.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 1:33 pm

I have no experience with WaG, but I am more than willing.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:05 pm

ah man. I was only having a look it see what the game was going to be with a firm idea that I wouldn't put my name forward. Now I've seen the game concept I am so tempted. I need to think about it.
Back to top Go down
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 5:14 pm

No fetishes --- I'm out. Just kidding. Sounds awesome and would love to play but can't commit to reading the W&G rulebook anytime soon. Best of luck and maybe I can join sometime down the road...

Sent from Topic'it App

he/him
Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 9:49 pm

I'm so tempted, but with the semester starting and me running a W&G game already, I probably shouldn't. That being said, if I could snag a copy of the PDF somewhere (@Aaron) and there's some method to play character concepts I couldn't before, I might just set aside some extra time for it. Either way, I'm in for it wholly after the W&G game I've got wraps up.
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 11:21 pm

So, it sounds like there's people interested, but for some, time isn't great at the moment. I'll be out for half a week, and there will definitely be some set up time, so unless other people jump in, I'll ask people again later.

Murc, there was a link on LINE, but am happy to work some other method if you would prefer? I'm not sure what you mean by a character concept you couldn't play before?
Back to top Go down
mruozu
Senpai
mruozu

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 5:06 pm

I am in. Still reading rules and getting some concepts for a character down.
Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Theo, the link didn't work. Also I just meant if W&G adds some archetype or new creation paths that can let me play something I wanted too but couldn't (Skitarii, Rogue Psyker, etc.) then I'd be more interested in playing.
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 7:16 pm

Link PM'ed. At the moment, the archtypes that would be available are:
Ministorum Priest (minor rules change to suit framework, as discussed in core [allowing acts of faith for chaos etc])
Sister Hospitaller (Can be played RAW, but would benefit from a good backstory to suit framework)
Imperial Guardsman
Inquisitional Acolyte (Cool backstory to fit framework, e.g. deep cover agent that goes native, OR minor wording changes away from inquisition, i.e. planetary government agent)
Inquisitorial Adept (As above)
Hive Ganger
Cultist

As I mentioned, if game goes on, higher tiers will allow a wider spread of characters, including skitarii and rogue pyskers, which are both tier 2. The initial story arc is limited to tier 1 though, if that changes your opinion.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyFri Aug 17, 2018 6:54 am

Theo, how many players are you looking for? What's your minimum and maximum?

Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyFri Aug 17, 2018 3:18 pm

I knew I had forgotten something.

Minimum is three, which I think we've already hit. Maximum would probably be 5-6. I'm willing to consider more, as PBP allows spotlight sharing a bit easier, but 3-6 is my usual amount.

I've updated the OP.
Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 7:02 am

Yeah Theo, that'll count me out. Let me know when you've opened up tier two though and I'll probably be able to hop in (if there's space).
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyThu Aug 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Character Concept: Big and tough (WS guy) foreman or labor leader. Someone who works his ass off and is tired of trying to get better "rights" for his people as the repressive hive regime keeps smashing them back down.

Thinking high strength and WS, med-high charisma. Not especially book smart nor necessarily agile. Picture a brick shit house that really cares for his fellow laborers.

Back to top Go down
mruozu
Senpai
mruozu

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 12:36 am

Looking to get a Hive Ganger or a Cultist going. Possibly someone who is touched by the warp and could maybe get into some trouble as we progress.
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 3:02 am

Those are both really good ideas and the kind of stuff I'm looking for!

MrUozu, being warp touched is a great starting point! I would ask that you don't start with an in-depth knowledge of the warp / chaos, as that shortcuts the 'path to damnation' framework. On the other hand, it would be really interesting to follow someone who knows that something else is out there, someone who knows that there is stuff that the Imperial Cult really would prefer they didn't.

Iron, Good choice of concept! I'm pretty happy with the idea of a 'worker's rights' labourer. Unfortunately, there's no real archtype that's coming to mind to match that idea. First instinct would be Ganger, but bonuses to cunning might not be what you're thinking of. I'm happy to work with you to see if we could work something out (I'm toying with the idea of grabbing the 'Ork Boy' archtype and swapping out keywords and equipment Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 9:52 am

Awesome. We can carry this on in a General OOC post in the game thread now, yeah?

Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 9:26 pm

Chuck it into PC discussion / workshop. I'm fiddling around with Orokos / other alternatives to see what works, and will make a General OOC with that information when I come to a decision.
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyMon Aug 27, 2018 3:11 am

Hey All!

Board is up and running, relatively speaking! Please feel free to throw ideas into PC discussion / workshop, or to start making your character! I'm planning on running some individual session 0's for characters that get started, as a little incentive.

At the moment, we have three confirmed players, Iron, Sylphilis, and mruozu. Carnelian, are you still interested?

Back to top Go down
Mighty Jim

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyMon Sep 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Sounds great. You have room for a fourth? Like I said in the intro thread, I have no experience with W&G or any of the recent 40K games, but I'm an experienced roleplayer.

I've glanced over the W&G rules--I'd probably roll up an Inquisitor, a charming and hyper-intelligent but morally questionable face man. Vanity and pride are the main reasons he thinks he can never fall to Chaos--he's seen the deals that other heretics have made, and he can't be bought so cheaply. I haven't priced it out, but I'd love to give him the Devotees talent, even if the price is steep.

Let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyMon Sep 03, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi Jim!

We certainly have a room for more players! And we're all beginners at Wrath and Glory, so we'll all be working it out together!

Unfortunately I might need to shoot down your idea. Wrath and Glory is organised in tiers of power, and to start with, the plan is to use tier one characters. Tier One is the lowly characters, the gangers, guardsman etc. An Inquisitor is Tier 4, a very powerful being that doesn't really belong in the current framework.

On the other hand, Inquisitorial Acolytes and Adepts are definitely open to play, although you would need a decent roleplay reason as to why they are in the depths of a hive city, working with people who might be actively hurting the local Imperial organisations.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Jim

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] EmptyMon Sep 03, 2018 8:51 pm

No, sorry, that's what I meant, the Tier 1 version, the Inquisitorial Acolyte. My character would be working the depths, trying to flip low-level thugs, etc., to get leads on heretical acts by more powerful figures. If some local, worldly laws are broken in the process, that's a small price to pay in the pursuit of heresy. He wouldn't be a true zealot, but someone mostly who sees being part of the inquisition as a path to personal power and advancement.

That might not work, though, if we're going to be hanging out with open cultists right away (then the "deep cover" idea you mentioned above would make more sense).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]   [W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED] Empty

Back to top Go down

[W&G] The Road to Hell... [CLOSED]
Page 1 of 1