A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptyFri Jan 31, 2020 7:05 am

The time is close to midday, not that you would know it. As with many organic sensations, natural light is rejected and replaced with a mechanical substitute in the 'Plugged Socket', one of Agat Tha's few legal drinking premises. There are in fact no windows, just a handful of vid screens, most of which seem to be in the process of being repaired. A variety of different clouds and smoke fill the air, some from engines spluttering on or behind the bar and some from its few patrons. Those responsible for all of this, and almost all the noise in the bar are three Rattlings, sitting a couple of booths behind you and smoking from long dark pipes, which emit foul black smoke clouds. This means, that despite the variety of bulbs and light sources festooned around the bar, it is still somewhat dim.

You sit by yourself towards the back of the bar, a drink in front of you. Due to the early hour, there are only a few others here too. Aside from the aforementioned Rattlings, there are two obviously augmented individuals, talking quietly and at the front a new arrival, a youngish woman, with bright red hair, chatting animatedly with the bar man. She seems vaguely familiar to you, but at the moment you can't place the face. From experience you know that the bar will be pretty rammed come early evening, and under the cover of the crowds a great deal of shady business will be conducted.

As you watch, the door opens again and you contact comes through the door. The message had come through the previous night, requesting a meeting. Since your initial briefing six months prior, you had seen her twice since. 'Sarge', a woman somewhere in her late twenties, feral tattoos marking her face and hands, long black hair falling down her back in a ponytail, and clad in an armoured body glove, under a black duster jacket. Her movements are lithe and confident, and speak of someone highly trained in some form of athleticism. Her green eyes meet yours briefly, before she orders a drink from the bar man, and having received it, moves over to sit opposite you in the booth.

"Greetings 'Ferret'"
There is no mockery or disdain in her voice when she says the name, just the matter of fact serious tone, still marked with the rough edge that was indicative of her feral upbringing.

"You look healthy and well. I contacted you for this meeting as there is going to be change in your role and I need to make sure I explain it properly. Thanks in part to the information you provided, She can see that things are progressing much faster than previously thought. We would like you to take a more active role.
Five others have arrived here this morning to try and uncover evidence of what is going on here. They are presently meeting up with the 'Philosopher'. She would like you to link up with them after this and join in their investigation. The 'Philosopher' will be able to provide them with official standing but you have information and contacts he doesn't. In case that anything happens to him, you can also provide them with an alternative base of operations and communication.

She then reached into her jacket and withdrew a datapad, and flicking the screen on, handed it over to Tessera. On the pad were pictures of five people, three men, and two women.
"These are the five acolytes. Examine their faces carefully. I will have to destroy the photos after I leave here. Do you have any questions?"
Back to top Go down
FelicitousPsychicFerret

FelicitousPsychicFerret

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptyFri Jan 31, 2020 9:10 am

Tessera took a good long look at the five faces in question. She wondered how many of them would be equipped with a sense of humour. Certainly none of them had been pictographed in a flattering light.

'Quite the eclectic bunch, I see. I'll recognize them without any problem at all, Sarge, even if I have to meet them in a location as dimly lit as this one, haha. Aside from that... ' She stirred her drink idly, still trying to figure out who the hell that woman talking to the barman could be. It irritated the back of her mind like a stubborn itch.

But Tessera could see that Sarge was still waiting for an answer, and so she promptly obliged. 'Well, Sarge, I have no questions that I cannot find the answer to myself. And plausible deniability is always nice to have, I suppose. Give my best regards to our mutual friend... you know, the one with the twitchy disposition ?'
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptySun Feb 02, 2020 11:16 am

The woman with the tattooed face nodded back at Tessera.
“They may have made some attempt to blend in with their surroundings but I trust you should be able to find them. I wouldn’t give their description to any of your contacts, we them to attract as little attention as possible. Perhaps you can begin at Planetfall, near the Administratum building. It’s quite likely that they should be there at some point today. When you do find them I’d take some time to observe before introducing yourself if possible, just in case they have picked up a tail of some kind. If so I’ll leave your next move up to your judgement.”

‘Sarge’ then leaned back in the booth and there was a momentary flash of expression across her normally stone face. It was a pensive look, the one of someone who was unsure of how the last move would play out.
“The acolytes don’t know of your existence. The decision to call you into action was a late one. Be careful with how you introduce yourself, they are likely to be suspicious.”

Reaching across she retrieved the data pad and replaced it with a small scrap of cloth, on which Inquisator Yannick's caged bird symbol had been sown.
“If needed this might help prove your identity, or the use of my name. Be sure to destroy it afterwards though. And yes, I will pass on your respects. She will be watching what occurs here closely. You can update me in the usual way.”

With that she gave a final nod, before sliding out gracefully from the booth and then out of the bar. No head seemed to react to her exit. Her untouched drink was still on the table, a drop of condensation sliding down. Nothing had changed in the rest of bar. The red haired woman was now making an exaggerated face at the barman before laughing uproariously. Nothing yet had clicked into your brain what was familiar about her.
Back to top Go down
FelicitousPsychicFerret

FelicitousPsychicFerret

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptyMon Feb 03, 2020 4:21 am

Tessera took the scrap of cloth with the Inquisitor's insignia, and tucked it away inside her bodyglove, ready to be whisked out dramatically at a moment's notice.

Planetfall Station? That wasn't too far from the Plugged Socket, she wouldn't even need to cross the river to get there. One train stop away... No need to hurry, at least not for now. The morning was barely coming to a close, after all.

Her more immediate concern was the woman who was talking to the barman. Tessera was annoyed that she couldn't puzzle this one out, and if she wanted to get a closer look... well, she would just have to make the first move with all the style and daring she could muster.

Quite casually, Tessera slid from her chair to Sarge's now vacant seat, closer to where the woman was. Swooping into the conversation like a bird of prey the moment she spotted a convenient lull, she leaned in with her head cocked to one side, her auburn hair coiling carelessly over one eye: 'Hello there, fellow alcoholic and connoisseur of fine jokes!  Ever hear the one about the three Ratlings who walked into a bar ? Well... you'd think they could have just walked under it, but alas no.'
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 3:12 pm

As Tessera sat down closer to the bar, she got a closer look at the two talking at the bar. The young woman with the red hair was clad in a dusty brown travelling cloak, under which Tessera could see was a black bodyglove. Her skin was pale and smooth and the bright blue of her eyes, was noticeable even in the relative gloom. She was leaning forward, elbows on the bar, on either side of her beer, as she animatedly continued her story. The person behind the bar was tall and slim, wearing a heavy leather apron, and with most of its visible body parts bionic, including both eyes, most of its bald skull and a metallic grille where its mouth should be. One arm appeared natural, and wrapped in strips of black leather, while its right partner was dark grey metal. The right arm was a little intimidating, even at this distance, made up of sharp shards of metal, many sticking out at points, and Tessera could make out a stun baton built into the section just above where the hand should be. It did appear to have fingers, but it was not a hand that looked advisable to shake. Currently it was employed with untangling a mess of different coloured wires, while also clearly listening to the woman's words.

".... should have seen her face R. Emperor on his throne but it was like she was sitting on a barbed wire fist. 'Mokosh, you disgrace me, you disgrace your family, and you disgrace all the sisters with your behaviour.'"
The last section of this was delivered in a comically gruff voice.
"Such cruel words. The Sister's indeed deliver a harsh penitence."
The voice that emitted from the metallic grille was precise and metallic but Tessera got a distinct impression of sarcasm. The red head giggled before shaking her head at the other.
"Oh yes, naturally I was much wounded by what she said. I wanted to collapse right there but sadly there wasn't a fainting couch in sight. These shrines eh? Thankfully though there were plenty of comfort to be found below in their Room of Repentance."
Shaking her head she reached out and took a deep glug from her tankard before suddenly turning as she noticed Tessera.

She gave another loud giggle, as the other came to the end of her joke, before using her left fist to wipe at her mouth. Above this, the blue eyes flashed across at Tessera, and her eyebrows waggled as she lowered her hand, revealing an amused smirk.
"Considering the other patrons of this place, that's a dangerous joke to tell. You know what they say about crossing Rattlings...."
Her eyes briefly flicked over Tessera's left shoulder towards where the three were sitting, before looking back at her face again.
"I love it. Clearly someone who likes to live dangerously."

Extending her left hand towards you, she grinned.
"The name's 'Moko'. I don't think I know your face. Then again it's been a good, eight, nine..."
She had turned to look questioningly at the person behind the bar.
"Two hundred and fifty six standard days."
Moko rolled her eyes in amusement before turning back.
"Say eight and a half months since I was last in Agat Tha. I've actually just arrived back in today. Celebrating my belated return. Though speaking of such, surely this is a bit tame. What about breaking out some of the hard stuff R?"
"It's barely passed midday."
"Ah come on. I'm not back every day."
Turning back to Tessera, she raised an eyebrow.
"What about you stranger? Fancy joining me for a shot of something special?"
Back to top Go down
FelicitousPsychicFerret

FelicitousPsychicFerret

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptyThu Feb 06, 2020 8:45 am

Now this was curious. Tessera had only been here for six months, and if that woman had only returned today after eight months, then there was no way that her face could be familiar. There were several possibilities : either the two of them had briefly crossed paths six to eight months ago, or the woman was lying for some reason, having returned to Aga Tha sooner than she claimed. Oh, well, that would be a puzzle that would be resolved in good time, once Tessera actually remembered when and where she'd seen this 'Moko' before.

At any rate...

'Oh, that'd be lovely. The 'hard stuff', you say ? Always thought that was a fairy-tale meant to lure more customers, but I'm more than happy to be proven wrong!'
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptyThu Feb 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Moko's eyes lit up and she grinned.
"I knew I had the right feeling about you stranger."
Turning back to the person behind the bar, she gave her a wink.
"So what do you say R? Ready to stand up for the honour of your humble bar? Stranger here obviously believes you only peddle the thin gruel. What about the engine oil number 9?"

Slowly the person behind the bar turned its face towards Tessera. There was a whirring noise as both the bionic eyes revolved out, appeared to examine her face and then retreated back to their normal position. The metal right limb carefully placed the bundle of wires beneath the bar.
"A challenge indeed. However could my bar recover from such a slight?"
The sarcasm in the metallic voice was even more evident, but the figure turned and moved back into a darker section of the bar, and bent down in front of a heavy square steel unit. Even with the use of its metal arm, the owner seemed to spent considerable effort heaving the door open. A loud hiss reverberated and the bionic person was suddenly lost to a cloud of white steam.

Moko's smile grew even wider and she nudged Tessera with her elbow.
"I've been dreaming about this for the past few months. Trust me, this drink is like nothing else you'll get on Agat Tha."
The owner was returning now, walking out of the fog with a grey circular cylinder in its metal right hand and three shot glasses in the gloved one. After placing the latter on the bar, it then swung the top edge of the cylinder which quickly revolved into a thin triangular point. Lifting the device in its hands, it then poured a thick black viscous liquid into all three glasses, before closing the cylinder again and then with a practiced movement flicked two of the glasses to skim across the bar until they were in front of each of you. Not a drop of the liquid was spilled.
"Pure organic's such as you normally don't have the stomach to handle this. If either of you get sick, I'm heaving you out. Are you ready?"

Moko lifted her shot glass and after giving it a brief sniff, turned her face away briefly in revulsion, before turning back.
"My heart may simply be weak and fallible muscle R, but it has the spirit of a machine."
She clinked her glass against the others, and then turned to Tessera and gave her a wink, her tongue visable between her white teeth.
"Honestly half of its just smoke and mirrors. And the other half is unlikely to kill you, or well at least not speed it up too much."

Raising their glasses up the other two, leaned their heads back and in a fast motion threw the contents into their mouths. In the case of the person referred to as R, the metal grill where a mouth would normally be, had swung back, revealing a cavernous black hole, surrounded by wires.

[If you choose to drink the shot, please take an immediate toughness test and post the results to the OOC thread.]
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 4:16 pm

Post drinking her shot Moko's face paled and she shook her head from side to side. When she looked up again, you could see moisture on the edges of her eyes and she seemed to be shifting her lower jaw from one side to the other.
"Woah that was stronger than I remembered."
She ran a hand absently through her red hair before looking at Tessera again. She blinked once or twice, apparently initially having difficulty properly focusing on you, before her eyes cleared.
"I'm impressed stranger. There's not many who can take that shot and still sit straight. What's your name and what are you all about?"

[Thanks to your Fate point usage, you managed to consume the beverage and have no particular ill effects, beyond a severe kick to your throat and stomach. As far as you can tell it seemed quite alcoholic. If you had failed the test, these would have increased depending on the severity of the fail. Where you go next from here is up to you.]
Back to top Go down
FelicitousPsychicFerret

FelicitousPsychicFerret

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptyFri Feb 14, 2020 7:38 am

'What I'm all about ? Interesting question. I deal in exotic goods, the sort of luxuries that are hard for people to acquire around here... but can anyone really be reduced to a mere name or occupation ?'

Tessera made a point of placing a carefully-crafted pause there and then. She spun her empty glass with a twirl of the hand, allowing it to settle back down into quiescence with a curious tinkling sound.

'You may have seen my face in places both high and low. I've made a point of being everywhere... and nowhere. Speaking of faces... this may be the drink talking, but yours is very familiar to me. Your face, I mean, not your drink, of course, haha, the idea. Anyway, I'm wondering if perhaps we crossed paths earlier today... or perhaps you have family here in Aga Tha, a twin sister or something like that ? I don't mean to pry, but I do like getting to the bottom of the glass... among other things.'
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptySun Feb 16, 2020 7:00 am

As Tessera came to the end of her sentence, Moko was staring back at her, one auburn eyebrow arched high in question. She held this look for a second before her face started to quiver and she collapsed into giggles, arms wrapped around her shoulders. As these quietened she wiped a little smatter of moisture from the edge of her eye with her right fist and looked back over at the other woman. She was still smiling, a look of bemusement on her face and she was slowly shaking her head.
"You know stranger, people generally use chat up lines like that to start a conversation, not after the other party has already bought them a drink. Maybe the Sister's rubbed off more on me than I thought R? I'm obviously giving off this stern silent demeanour?"
The bar person was back to untangling their wires again, but looked up at this question.
"Undoubtedly. Your travels have changed you Mokosh. You aren't the person you were before."
"We are all selfish and I no more trust myself no more than others with a good motive."

She stuck her tongue out at R and then looked back at Tessera again, the same look of bemused questioning look on her face.
"An interesting career it sounds 'Stranger', which it seems I'm going to have to continue to call you. I would guess it takes a lot of mixing between the various classes here. You cut an interesting figure. I can't quite decide if you are low and ascended high, or born high and dived. Or perhaps none of the above."
She gave a brief waggle of her eyebrows at this before leaning her left elbow on the bar, and resting her chin on her knuckles.
"To assuage your interest though. I'm certain the two of us haven't met prior. I would not have forgotten you."
She paused at this and gave the other a wink and a grin before continuing her blue eyes sparkling.
"I do have quite a bit of direct family though not all in Agat Tha at the moment. As much as the thought of a twin sister tickles, I only have two older brothers. For the sake of my respect for you, I hope you don't happen to have deep relationships with either. 'Captain' Veles is currently stationed on Meadus Mara, the pleasure world, with the rest of his regiment. Not sure the idiot has been back here for a few years. 'Commadore' Perun is at St Barthomelua under the wing of aunty Dahlia but I think he's back and forth on 'official' business. If you think my face could do with a thick moustache attempting to give the impression of age and wisdom then maybe its him you are thinking of."

She grinned again before giving a shrug.
"Or finally and probably most likely you might have me mistaken for my mother. Though if you admit that I'll be honour bound to have you taken out and given to the attention of some muscularly advantaged friends of mine with steel pipes. My mother if you haven't put all the pieces of my wonderful bloodline together is Prefect Ljuba Argarwal. I'd be highly diverted if you've actually been in contact with her in the context of your work, but it's more likely you've seen her on vid screens and in the local press. She's not unfond of publicity, mother dearest."

The look of humour had mostly receded from her face, as Moko talked about her mother, and when she finished she shook her head and took a deep drain from her beer. As she drank, you finally were able to see the resemblance to her mother. Prefect Ljuba was a good bit older of course, her blond hair only reaching as far as her earlobes and giving an impression of severe precision and brutalist style that matched her robe choice. In the past six months you had come across her image frequently in 'Bepa' the broadsheet that was published in Planet Fall, though you had never seen her in person. As far as you could remember you had not been in contact with either of her brothers.
Moko looked back at you again, her smile returning.

"If you are in contact with the Prefect though, 'Stranger' would you mind not letting her know you ran into me? I'm sure she'll discover it eventually but I'm keen to enjoy as much of my freedom as I can."
Back to top Go down
FelicitousPsychicFerret

FelicitousPsychicFerret

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptySun Feb 16, 2020 9:33 am

Tessera could not help but laugh out loud. She quickly stifled her laughter with one hand over her mouth, reducing it to a more seemly guffaw.

'Oh, the Prefect ! Just between you and me, the resemblance isn't even that great, it's just that she's been in the medias so much, her face is positively beginning to haunt my nightmares with its maddening omnipresence. I think we can agree she is the least interesting conversation topic we could possibly hit upon. At any rate, she won't be hearing of your presence from me, that's for sure, assuming I were even remotely likely to meet her in the first place. Where's the fun in ruining someone's day? Only an ungrateful boor would stoop so low.'

What time is it now? she wondered as she paused for breath. The truth had turned out to be quite simple, after all, and her interest in Moko was already waning a little.

'At any rate, please don't call me Stranger, it sounds like I'm just one mistake away from being thrown out of the bar by the scruff of the neck. I'm Mallowan. Antonia Mallowan. Might as well get that out there in case there are any prospective customers out there listening, haha. Speaking of which, if there's anything you need... ?'
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptySun Feb 16, 2020 10:06 am

Tessera had no watch but as far as she could tell, it had probably just passed beyond 12.15. Moko grinned back before taking another draft of her drink.
"She's got that kind of face. Particularly suited to a haunting. Just pray it stays on the page."

She leaned back her chair again and stretched her neck from side to side. As Tessera revealed her name, she caught Moko flick a quick glance towards the bar person. The other reached out with its left natural hand, retrieving the shot glasses and the red haired girl turned to give Tessera another bemused smile.
"Pleased to meet you 'Antonia'. It's been a pleasure conversing."
Her eyes were flashing again and she shook her head, the smile still on her lips.
"There's nothing particularly exotic I'm in need of, but thank you. If you ever have a need to find me on the other, R can normally reach me. Hunt's luck."
She raised her half full glass and titled it towards Tessera before taking another drink. Her eyes remained on Tessera the whole while, retaining that same amused yet also considering expression.

[Next move is on you. You can either stay to chat, or move out out of here towards the station. If you wish to do the latter put it in your post and I can move you on to the next point.]
Back to top Go down
FelicitousPsychicFerret

FelicitousPsychicFerret

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptySun Feb 16, 2020 10:46 am

'A pleasure likewise. Had it not been for you, I would have probably left this place sooner. As it is, sadly enough, I cannot indefinitely postpone today's business, which calls me elsewhere... Ah, well, all good things come to an end eventually. At any rate, I do wish you a most lovely day, Moko, and best of luck in whatever you plan to do! Carpe diem.'

Tessera settled her tab with the bartender and prepared to leave with a flourish. Indeed, she rather fancied that today was going to be a good day. Probably filled with surprises, to boot.

[Tessera will be heading to Planetfall Station, blending in with the crowd as per usual.]
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptySun Mar 01, 2020 10:35 am

Taking hold of the metal handle, Tessera rammed it up and to the right, and then pushed the heavy door open, exiting the Plugged Socket. Though she was expecting it, her eyes were momentarily blinded  by the natural light outside. This was not as great as it might have been though, as the visible skies were filled with dark clouds. Moving down the quiet side street, Tessera rejoined the busy main thoroughfare. The main rockrete road only had the one vehicle, one of the Urbanae Praetorianae armoured cars, moving slowly, its top mounted gunner casting her gaze from side to side at the walkers on each side. Both walkways were much busier, and Tessera was bumped several times by people hurrying past. There was nothing strange about this, and she noticed nothing to grab her attention as she made her way to Station 8.

There was a direct line between Station 8 and Planetfall and as she waited on the short journey to finish, Tessera took note of the the other passengers. None of them were familiar or stood out in anyway, just the normal mix of robed officials, scribes, menial workers and one Commissariat officer, immediately noticeable with his green uniform and the open oval space around him, despite the lack of space elsewhere.

The grandness and size of Planetfall station was nothing new, and Tessera passed by the Urbanae Praetorianae and Commissariat booths along with a mass of others without seeming to attract any particular attention. Immediately ahead of you is the central square and beyond this, your perspective is dominated by the massive oblong block that is the main Administratum building. On either side, two tower blocks tower at least 30 floors above the top of this, the right hand side one you know belonging to the Ministry for the Colonies and the left hand one for the PDF and the Adeptus Mechanicus. Both of these are attached to the main building by walkways a couple of floors up. Just about visible rising only a floor or so higher than Administratum building it is directly behind is the darker building that belongs to the Commissariat. These buildings all completely block your perspective, but you know from past journeys here that the Court of Justice and  Cathedral for the Blinded Saint, lie further behind these.

The square directly in front of you is packed with people at present. Though its name suggests otherwise, it is actually semi circular, in the same shape as the Administratum building. Food vendor stalls are laid out along the round edge of this and most of those here are gathered around these. Tessera can see the green uniformed figures of a couple of Commissariat officers wandering through the crowd. And very much keeping their distance from these are a number of small children, who slink in and out between the adults. To Tessera's right is another of the highways, which loops around the tower for the Ministry for the Colonies. A dark coloured vehicle is parked here. It isn't a military transport which marks it out. Only those with a certain level of influence are able to use the roads
Back to top Go down
FelicitousPsychicFerret

FelicitousPsychicFerret

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptyMon Mar 02, 2020 11:12 am

It was clear to Tessera that her new collaborators had not finished their investigations within the confines of the Administratum building that loomed right up ahead. She imagined them tangled in a web of red tape and restrictive rules. Bureaucracy had never appealed to her adventurous soul.

It was probably a good idea not to seem like she was waiting for them, or else some unfriendly eyes might take note. And besides, she was a little peckish after that 'drink' she'd had. A bite to eat seemed in order.

The children were almost certainly pickpockets, she noted as she made her way through the square towards a conveniently situated food stand, strolling casually. Were they part of a local gang that she knew ? Perhaps they could help her keep watch, although of course she wouldn't go so far as to share any compromising information with them. Maybe they could alert her to the presence of suspicious individuals. Sarge had hinted that the Acolytes might be followed by enemy agents, after all.

The devil makes work for idle hands...
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptyFri Mar 06, 2020 4:39 pm

As Tessera took her place in the closest food stand queue, she was careful to keep a close eye on the small children milling about. Her first impression was proved to be true within a couple of seconds of close attention. A young boy had edged against a much older woman and with the speed and grace that spoke of a practised arm, he was already moving away, with the contents of her pockets within his. He did not seem to be acting alone though. The longer she watched, the more Tessera could identify a loose group of about four, which he was part of and whom he worked with. One of the four would act as the lookout, while at least two would provide some kind of distraction, playing a noisy game or tussling with each other, while the last acted. Quite an experienced unit as far as she could tell.

As she neared the front of her queue, Tessera was becoming more used to the ebb and flow of the square and became aware that the situation wasn't as simple as it might have first appeared. The children who were moving about the crowd weren't all together, there were two distinct groups. The first was the group of four she'd observed earlier, three young boys and a girl, all clearly from poor backgrounds but nothing particularly exceptional about them. On the other side of the square there was a separate group, of similar size and appearance to the first, except that all of their faces were marked with a painful looking burn. One child had an exposed scalp, one a missing eye and the other two significant marks across their faces. As with the first group they worked as a loose team. Both seemed to be deliberately giving each other almost as much space as they did the Commissariat.

Spoiler:

Finally Tessera got to the front of her chosen food stall. It was a bright and colourful affair, a garish sign promoting 'Mother Mae's Misgivings. All meat free range! No synth here! Taste the difference!" A middle aged woman, cheerfully almost as wide as she was tall, was standing behind the stacked display of their offerings. There were two voluminous tubs which looked like they held stews. One was the regulation brown, marked regular, and the other a yellowish orange marked spicy. Beside this were a number of pointed wooden skewers with a variety things attached, most of which you hoped were meat. Behind these you could see a much older woman with grey hair cooking yet more food.

The middle aged woman caught your eye as you got to the front and immediately started.
"Tidin and mornins Compat. 'ee look like a fresh miss to my stand. Wha 'ill it be? Stew rur Stick? All fresh her. Each o those leggy things had to be hunted by hand."
She laughed suddenly, a loud gregarious laugh that made all three of her chins wobble.
"Like da six blessud pleasure world."
Back to top Go down
FelicitousPsychicFerret

FelicitousPsychicFerret

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 9:42 am

Tessera smiled brightly. 'As much as it'd be the height of stew-pidity to not try the stew on such a nice day as this, I think I'll stick with the Stick, thank you.'

This was shaping up to be quite the gastronomic adventure.
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 3:14 pm

The woman looked back at you curiously for a couple of moments, while her hands absently reached for one of the skewers, the grey and brown bundle in the middle sizzling noisily away. Tessera could see her lips were moving, perhaps mouthing the words back to herself. Her expression suddenly changed, the lines and wrinkles multiplying as she let loose a guffaw.
"'ee's a funny one aren't ye Compat. Stew-piddly. 'Ere Baba you get that? Stew-piddly."

The older woman at the back gave the barest of acknowledgements, nodding her head, before continuing on with her task. The younger woman shook her head, before exchanging the food with you for some of the currency.
"Stick with what you 'no eh? Enjoy Compat. Tidin and mornins Compat. What'll 'ee be having?"
She was already serving the person behind you. In front of you, the square continued to move in its random patterns, the Commissariat moving through the crowd and either gang of kids keeping their distance on opposite sides to them, appearing almost like a dance.
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 4:23 pm

As she happened to glance up at the Administratum building, Tessera caught sight of three of the five people she was shown images of by Sarge. They had just exited the building. There was a fourth person with them, an adept by the look of him, who looked nothing like either of the other two images she had been shown.

[What you do now is up to you. If you wish to interact with them you can start posting on the main thread. If you wish to keep a bit more distance though you can continue to post here. Depending on how they roll awareness though, they may spot you anyway.]
Back to top Go down
FelicitousPsychicFerret

FelicitousPsychicFerret

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) EmptyTue Mar 10, 2020 3:05 am

Now this is finally getting interesting... Tessera thought. Whoever this fourth person was, his presence complicated matters somewhat, since Sarge had not vouched for him. Even if he was just a lowly bureaucrat who was sticking to the Acolytes' shoes like grox manure, Tessera wasn't about to just spill the beans in front of him.

She tore a rubbery bite from her freshly purchased lunchtime snack. Time to engage stealth mode.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)   Chapter 1: Deep Cover  (Tessera Antoinette) Empty

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1: Deep Cover (Tessera Antoinette)
Page 1 of 1