A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Lead through fear (deathwatch)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

Lead through fear (deathwatch) Empty
PostSubject: Lead through fear (deathwatch)   Lead through fear (deathwatch) EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 7:49 pm

Hello team

A bit of background:
My character is a Carcharodon assault marine and all that entails as far as looks - throw in a metal jaw and adamantium teeth and you get the idea. He's not exactly inspiring through his charm and good looks, but he is from the other end of the spectrum. He's essentially a coiled spring that's ready to turn everything around him into mist, but also carries the aura of a predator wherever he goes. If you're familiar with the NPC list from the books, Watch Captain Scarion is a good example of a leader that commands respect and obedience through intimidation, menace, and power. Hydrako is somewhat similar.

I was thinking of creating a talent that allows to perform command tests using Strength rather than fellowship to reflect this. Would it be simple to just say Lead Through Fear costs "X" and allows a PC to use STR on command tests rather than FEL? The Command skill would need to be purchased aswell.

What is a good XP cost?
What rank should it be available?
Also, (I should have done more research before posting) are there any talents that buff command that should be duplicated to also incorporate the switch to the STR attribute?

Last edited by Hydrako on Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Lead through fear (deathwatch)   Lead through fear (deathwatch) EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 8:15 am

NEW CONTENT?! FROM HYDRAKO?!

I AM VERY EXCITE.

As a disclaimer, per the OW/DH2 updated rule set, any skill's relevant characteristic score can be changed/swapped with GM approval. Having said that, this is Deathwatch, the stakes are higher, and shit costs a lot more. So, I dig the idea of a talent to encompass this rule.

XP Cost: 600xp (just guessing here, but basing it on Tyrannic War Strategems and Novamarine Chapter Specific talents)
Rank: None. This should be a Carcharadon's Chapter Specific Talent; perhaps that is not a perfect solution as everyone cannot get it, but I think it will save time and energy to do it this way. It also fits the entire reason why you're doing this in the first place.

I think that by taking this talent, the associated command skills would still work as described. The only difference would be that when Hydrako uses command, he uses is Str stat.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Lead through fear (deathwatch)   Lead through fear (deathwatch) EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 4:07 pm

How's this:

Jaws of Command
Prereq: Command skill known, Str 40; Carcharadon Astra Chapter
Cost: 600 xp
Description: fluff fluff fluff. This Carcharadon has reached close to the top of the food chain within its Predator Fleet. As such, he commands the respect and discipline of his brothers through sheer strength alone, while those who are not blessed with the Astartes geneseed listen to the commands of this marine for fear of his retribution should they not. Replace the Command skill Fellowship characteristic with Strength.

Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Lead through fear (deathwatch)   Lead through fear (deathwatch) EmptySun Jan 19, 2020 3:49 pm

This ticks all the boxes for me. I'll ask Syl to check it out and see what he thinks

Thanks for the input mate. The description is solid too
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Lead through fear (deathwatch)   Lead through fear (deathwatch) EmptySun Jan 19, 2020 4:02 pm

I approve of the idea but personally would want to see more stringent pre-requisites as changing command to STR, it shouldn't be an easy thing. It’s fine for Carcharadons commanding Carcharadons but...

@Jeff, I like the idea of it being a prereq that you're a Carcharadon, but that doesn't suit a deathwatch or the vast majority of chapters style of command. Which is what we are. So because of that I'd drop that pre-req. I as fearless Astartes am not afraid of Hydrako.

I'd have it open to all if its going to be a thing and do something like the following (to make a bit of investment to get it. It would be cool if Hydrako had to work towards it).

Jaws of Command
Prereq: Command skill +10, Intimidate +10, Str 50, Fel 40
Description: fluff fluff fluff, he commands the respect and discipline of his brothers through sheer strength alone. Replace the Command skill Fellowship characteristic with Strength.

or something similar
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Lead through fear (deathwatch)   Lead through fear (deathwatch) EmptySun Jan 19, 2020 5:21 pm

Quote :
...I as fearless Astartes am not afraid of Hydrako

I thought my description was pretty clear that the fear-factor (as it were) is for non-Astartes. Other Astartes can equate the sheer strength/brutality/combat ability more as a respect factor, and thus follow out of that type of respect (and less because of the tactical/charismatic approach that Fellowship would bring). But yeah, I agree with you - an Astartes would never follow out of fear.

I think your Fellowship prerequisite is missing the mark entirely for the purpose of the new talent. I would scratch it entirely. I also think Command +10 is a bit much as it again relies on Fellowship. That seems like a huge investment, especially since the PCs who take this already have to shell out a ton of XP for Fellowship (because why would a Tactical Marine ever take this Talent?).

I like the increased Strength and really like the Intimidate prereqs.

Last edited by Iron and Metal on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Lead through fear (deathwatch)   Lead through fear (deathwatch) EmptySun Jan 19, 2020 5:23 pm

The FEL thing doesn't make much sense because that is dumping xp into something goes against the idea of the talent. FEL just isn't the right kind of stat that reflects this kind of command style

Actually I agree making it Carcharodons only isn't the right step, but I think if it was on their table from the get go, but still available on other tables at X rank that would work.  

The idea of this talent isn't that Astartes are afraid of him, and I think we've hashed that out already. Everyone ELSE is however. Intimidation isn't exactly what I picture when commanding marines, more like what Jeff said. But, it is more logical than fellowship in this case. Marines wouldn't follow Hydrako because he's inspirational or charismatic. They'd follow him because he's more savage and ruthless than anything they would face under his command.

Jaws of Command
Prereq: Command skill - known, Intimidate +10, Str 50,
Description: fluff fluff fluff

Here's what I reckon. Basically the same, but dropping the Fel pre-req

This thread has now given me an idea for another...
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Lead through fear (deathwatch)   Lead through fear (deathwatch) EmptySun Jan 19, 2020 5:25 pm

LET'S GET IT. BRING THAT SHIT ON!

Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Lead through fear (deathwatch)   Lead through fear (deathwatch) EmptySun Jan 19, 2020 5:37 pm

Also, jinx Jeff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lead through fear (deathwatch)   Lead through fear (deathwatch) Empty

Back to top Go down

Lead through fear (deathwatch)
Page 1 of 1