A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC

Go down 
+6
saelean
Hydrako
Iron and Metal
Princeofhavoc
Wendigo Bob
Carnelian
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyWed Jan 01, 2020 12:20 pm

“We are here to honour our blood. We are here to honor all our ancestors who also set out into the void to reunite mankind, seek knowledge, and find their fortune.”

The rogue trader’s voice echoed in the empty trophy halls. Faint discoloration and markings could be seen on the walls and floors, where once paintings, statues, banners and other valuables had once been. From the ceiling, pillared arches came down, with the occasional loose chain hanging sadly. Each step resonated in the empty space, the only thing of note a large door at the opposite end of the hall. A few servo-skulls skulls floated around, recording the event.

The patriarch himself stood several meters in front of the door. Directly behind him where his three scions; Lord-captain San-Sebastian, First officer Torian and Master Helmsman Roderick, all soon to be confirmed Filianatis.

The group was followed by another, larger group; this once composed of the various officers and high servants of the dynasty. First, the ship’s officers; High Factotum Jakobi Mansamu, High Enginseer Ignatio Pulsanus; Choir-Master Telepathica Alexium Morai Dineh, Warp-Guide LethiaTzemopoulos, Mistress of Etherics Valry Mace, Master of Ordnance Boris Volkov, Mistress at Arms Victoria Stein, Mistressr of the Vox Andallia Dawnsun; Purser Stephan Gusin, Ship’s Steward Heng Kaelan. Following them, the technical Officers; Infernus Master Stavos McCaffrey, Carto-Artifexes Ellen & William Craft, Chief Chirurgeon Ossona Kistka, Mech-Deacon Balfour Rankine and Omnissiac Congregator Hikari Rai. Behind them, the high servants of the dynasty itself; Archivist-Prime Miletie Lopband, Sigilite Mahmoud Thicbute and Chamberlain Othoyo Exegol. All wore their finest parade dress; this first obeisance would be the start of their journey, and it had to go perfectly to soothe the superstitious minds of the crew, who would see it projected on screens all over the ship. They stood back, away from the door to allow those of true blood to pay their respects.

On the walls to the side of the door, two small shrines in the manner of the Cult of Prosperity where set-up. Behind this door was the holy of holies of their faith, and this place remained the primary chapel on the ship. The shrines where made of pure gold, with oath-papers held by red wax seals hiding most of it.

The patriarch knelt with difficulty in front of the left Shrine, where the Matrogenitor of the dynasty, Sephora Salaznir, stood reproduced in a silvery metal; her face encircled by her thick, curly hair; her broad, flat nose; and a definite air of confidence and power radiating from the icon.

“We thank the Matrogenitor, as we thank all mothers, for the wisdom and blood they gift us.”

The rogue trader struggled to rise from his kneeled position, ignoring through sheer willpower the pain it brought him. He then went to kneel before the right shrine where the Patrogenitor of the dynasty, Praeparcus Filianatis, stood reproduced in a golden metal; his sharp, aquiline nose sticking out of his face; his “traditional” tricorn hat on his head; his stance speaking of certainty and regal good-will. These statues had stood for at least 8000 years, but their where lovingly maintained by the faithful.

“We thank the Patrogenitor, as we thank all fathers, for the strength and soul they gift us.”

He struggled back up, before walking back and placing himself right in front of the door. You knew that now was the time to do your actions; three scions of the bloodline, standing alongside their patriarch, merely having to follow his lines & steps to pay their respects.
Back to top Go down
thepooreconomist

thepooreconomist

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyWed Jan 01, 2020 1:04 pm

Torian stood tall in his finest robes, eyes aflame with understanding and excitement at this powerful moment. A beginnings of much to come.

He moved forwards fluidly, his steps echoing through the chamber. He knelt in front of the Matrogenitor and spoke his words of obsequience, “We thank the Matrogenitor, as we thank all mothers, for the wisdom and blood they gift us.”

He rose and moved to face the Patrogenitor, pausing for a moment to gaze into the eyes of Praeparcus, the ancestor he had heard so much about, whose influence had shaped him even through his decades of ignorance towards his own bloodline. He knelt deeply, and projected his voice, “We thank the Patrogenitor, as we thank all fathers, for the strength and soul they gift us.”

With that, Torian rose, and strode proudly to wait next to his patriarch.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyThu Jan 02, 2020 3:06 am

San-Sebastián Herrera stood with the other scions, he wore his finest black suit made of velvet and dyed leathers which was accompanied by knee high leather boots and black gloves. His fathers sword secured in an ornamental scabbard secured at his hip. His hair and beard freshly trimmed.

Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC 9f3d264b74874d8a1e25bf7a8a45f865

He was nervous and unsure about this ceremony, did he really want to be fully brought into the family and its curse? He didn't believe in curses, but the Filianatis family were certainly on a loosing streak. Still this was his big chance and an opportunity to possibly bring his mother into a higher station.

Despite his unease Sebastián stood tall and confident and at the appointed moment he strode forward and knelt before the Matrogenitor. He spoke clearly the required words and thought of his own mother “We thank the Matrogenitor, as we thank all mothers, for the wisdom and blood they gift us.”

He then faced the Patrogenitor and again said the required words “We thank the Patrogenitor, as we thank all fathers, for the strength and soul they gift us.”

The only loyalty he felt to the Filianatis line was to his father, he would try and do him proud. He would always be a Herrera at heart.

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyThu Jan 02, 2020 5:34 am

Roderick followed his new brothers, repeating the words and the signs of respect.

The door itself was surprisingly small, but heavily reinforced, with the wall behind it being made of a material far more resilient than the adamantine used in ship-building. Interlocking, near seamless moving plates formed the surface of a door that would open like an Iris. Some of you had heard rumors that several plates where stasis-locked; a stasis field on a specific location preventing all movement from the door unless the proper unlock sequence shut it off; even cutting through the door would at best reach the stasis-field, which would take literally millennia to cut through.
As the patriarch approached, several alcoves opened up, with 10 revealing twisted-looking heavy weapons of unknown make and origin, adjusting their aim towards those approaching; there was no doubt they would disintegrate any who came too close. The last 2 alcoves revealed two cable-linked servo-skulls that floated out. The first, equipped with a series of small needles, sampled the patriarch’s blood, saliva, marrow and cerebro-spinal fluid for DNA testing; a quick procedure that seemed near-painless to the elderly man. The servo-skull returned to its alcove, depositing the fluid samples, and replacing them with new ones that seemed to extrude out of some strange device in said alcove. The patriarch removed his hat, and the second came forth with arcane probes and scanners, verifying his brain-waves and mental integrity. After a few seconds, it stopped, returning to the alcove, and a green light came forth from them, which the patriarch stopped with a raised hand.

Let those who come today as scions present themselves, and be vindicated in their blood.

The servo-skulls started moving forth, towards those behind the patriarch.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyThu Jan 02, 2020 9:56 am

The extraction was uncomfortable, even more invasive than any of the previous tests. However, each time the servo-skulls returned to their alcoves they lights flashed green.

The patriarch descended his hand. The stasis-shield deactivated, and a number of sound sprung forth from the door. Its variousplates slid away, leaving a dark opening before you all. The patriarch was the first to step into the chamber. As he passed, lights lit up ahead of him, eventually reaching a pedestal where, under a large glass case filed with pure, gaseous, noble argon, laid a book. The book was made of real paper, fabricated from one of the last natural forest on Venus. The ink had been refined from burst-sac fluids harvested from the six millinia extinct Jovian skimmer rays. Artisans from Merica on Teraa had assembled the tome, bound it in rich grox-hide. Inlaid on the cover, flecks of gemstones from all the colonized worlds of the Sol system shimmered in the light. This book was the physical manifestation of the Filianatis dynasty’s right to travel the stars. More than any vessel, army or crew, more than any fiscal might and industrial holdings they might once have wielded-more than any of those things, this Warrant was what gave Praeparcus Filianatis and his kindred the Emperor’s own permission to trade, to voyage, to expand the Imperium’s influence through sheer economic power. It was alreadt open to an ornately illuminated page lined in gild, purple ink and silver leaf. Words in High Gothic surrounded a sumptuously detailed picture showing the Emperor granting Filianatis his boon. But the worksmanship was nothing compared to a wet, liquid crimson patch near the bottom of the page. Above it, a cross-slashed I in five beautiful, elegant strokes. The air seemed to shudder around you as you beheld it; the single I of Imperator, and a single drop of HIS blood.

The patriarch walked to the pedestal, bowed in front of it while making the sign of the Aquila, and went behind it, putting his hand above the holy warrant of trade.

Let those who have proven the worth of their blood come forth, and pledge their oath.

Do you pledge your loyalty to your blood and to each-other? Do you pledge not to seek the relative power of supremacy, but the absolute power born of collaboration? Do you pledge to never submit to another, nor to accept another’s submission?
Back to top Go down
thepooreconomist

thepooreconomist

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyFri Jan 03, 2020 11:43 am

Torian approached slowly, feeling his heartbeat quicken through the fresh extraction wounds. He felt present, powerful, alive. Rarely outside of combat or intense commercial negotiations did he get to experience such adrenaline. He took a moment to look a the drop of blood, making the sign of the Aquila in respect.

He looked up at the Patriarch, and intoned carefully, "I pledge my loyalty to my blood, my family, my dynasty. I pledge to work with my brothers for the prosperity of us all. I pledge to lead our matters of commerce with cunning, dignity, and viciousness."
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySat Jan 04, 2020 11:52 pm

With parade ground efficiency and clip, Roderick strode forward clicking his heels together and coming to attention in front of the Patriarch. His left hand rested on the hilt of his powersword and his right hand formed a fist that covered his heart. Gone was his joking easy manner, and in its stead Roderick looked transformed into a paragon of determination and ruthlessness.

He bowed deeply before answering, I pledge my loyalty to my blood, my family, and my dynasty. I pledge to help propel the dynasty to new heights of glory. I pledge to put family above self. I pledge to sail the void and carve out a new empire in the name of Filianatus.

With his oathes complete, Roderick stood at attention again chin jutted proudly forward.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySun Jan 05, 2020 1:01 pm

Sebastián strode forward and then stared at the warrant for a moment, it was truly a thing of marvel anointed as it was with the emperors blood. After a brief moment he made the sign of the aquila before looking up at the Patriarch.

He spoke the required words clearly "I pledge my loyalty to my blood, my family, and my dynasty. I pledge to help propel the dynasty to new heights of glory. I pledge to put family above self. I pledge to sail the void and carve out a new empire in the name of Filianatus."

He said the words for the Emperor, his mother and his father
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySun Jan 05, 2020 3:31 pm

The pledge is made! Let all who have come today pledge their oaths again, in preparation for the great task we have before us!

The patriarch started moving off to the side of the chamber, signaling you all to do the same. Officers started following in to pledge themselves, one by one.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyMon Jan 06, 2020 12:33 pm

Alexium followed the others, bowing first before the Matrogenitor and then again before the Patrogenitor, repeating the words as everyone else. The child was used to the ceremony of it all and expected this very thing. It wasn't until the ancient doors slid open and they were ushered inside that the true gravity of the situation hit.

The book shone like a lantern in a dark room. Alexium saw all through its incredibly powerful mind, but this book with the Emperor's own blood shone so brightly it almost made the child blink reflexively underneath the silken eye covering. It was pure beauty.

The Astropath Ascendant stepped forward, repeating the words of those before, but this time meaning them wholeheartedly.

"I pledge my loyalty to my blood, the family, and the dynasty. I pledge to work with the dynasty, lending all of my power and support in unity. In this, we shall rebuild the glory of the Filianatus name."

Alexium stepped back and let the glory of the Emperor's own blood wash over.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyMon Jan 06, 2020 11:43 pm

Lethia stood like a stature, her robes swaying slightly with the motion of walking. Ceremonies like this were her diet as a child. Functions like these were second nature to her, so many had she seen.
Above here, in her grip, was the navigator's staff, topped with the sigil of the noble navigator houses.

When it was her turn, she approaches the golden edifice and kneels, bowing her head low.
“I pledge my loyalty to my blood, my family and my dynasty. I pledge to guide the name to new heights of glory and discovery as I guide her scions through the immaterial realm by the light of the astronomicon.".”

She rises to her feet, as gracefully as she had found her knee, and steps back into the procession.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyTue Jan 07, 2020 12:51 pm

[Addendum to Last Post]

+++ Alexium is nearly dazed by the layers of psychic wards surrounding the book itself. But with precision and skill, a certain mastery of the warp, the Astropath Ascendant easily sees through them. It was bewildering. It was beautiful. It was a renewal of faith that the androgynous child had not known that it so desperately needed. The child had been making the sign of the Aquila without realizing it, and was glad to not have brought, and conducted this ceremony on, the hoverboard.

In His name. +++

Back to top Go down
Pyritefoolsgold

Pyritefoolsgold

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyWed Jan 08, 2020 2:00 am

Magos Pulsanus's every step was measured and precise, a cog in a machine. This ceremony had a purpose, a great many purposes; to reassure the crew, to build bonds between the leadership, to remind each of them of what was demanded and owed of them. The Enginseer Prime would do no less than his part.

Making every step of the dance perfect was easy when the ancient and powerful music of the  Anatem Imperabit Mundus flowed through him. The ship had been much diminished, it was clear, but here in the heart of it the choir sang pure.

Kneeling before the edifice, he bowed low and his speakers intoned

"I am identified as Magos Ignatio Pulanus, designated Enginseer Prime of this holy vessel, and I begin my oath as follows:"

A silent prayer opened the deepest recesses of his cybernetic brain for new input, at the root level. As the words flowed in, they seemed to sing together with what was already written in his mind. While for his companions, these oaths were binding on their honor, his oath went deeper than that: it became a core directive of his being.

"By the Omnissiah, who saves me from inevitable entropy; by the Machine God, who created and watches over me; By the motive force which flows through my body, may all forsake me if I violate any aspect of this oath, each aspect to take priority over the succeeding aspects."

"First, I shall obey the Filiantius dynasty and its designated representatives, in accordance with the chain of command."

"Second, I shall not bring harm to the Filiantius dynasty, or through inaction allow the dynasty to come to harm."

"Third, I shall dedicate myself towards bringing prosperity, power, and success to the Filiantius dynasty."

"By the Machine God, the Omnissiah, and the Motive Force, I pledge my loyalty to the Filiantius dynasty, until I am released; from service by direct command; or from material existence."

Three aspects of his bond for the three aspects of mechanical divinity. His mind sealed once more, locking these refreshed directives in place. He rose and returned to the procession, red robes fluttering back into place.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyWed Jan 08, 2020 4:56 pm

The rest of the officers continued their pledges, all brimming with confidence in the three young scions. Certain officers even made pledge to others of higher rank; others, to various saints, and to the holy emperor himself. Once the whole roster had gone through, the patriarch, struggling to stay standing so long though refusing any aid, placed himself in front of the warrant, turned towards the crowd.

"Thus are our oaths set, and our way clear. Let us rejoice, and seize the opportunity before us! While others quake before the dread gate, we follow the spirit of Saint Filianatis, who was the first to leave the cradle of Sol to challenge the dread of Old Night! So to all crew I say GO FORTH! Labor with our Omnissian brothers to return this great vessel to glory! In one week we set off!"

A great cheer rose from the crowd, and after brief salutes their dispersed, some running, to go to their posts. Within a few minutes, you all, as well as the Patriarch and two of his bodyguards. The moment the last officer left, the Patriarch collapsed. He was still conscious, and his face seethed, though it was clear his weak, spindly legs could no longer hold him. His two bodyguards rushed towards him, picking him up and placing him in his elaborate wheelchair. He started speaking, though little more than a rough, raspy whisper exited his mouth.

The die is cast. I have played my part. As you can clearly see, I have not the physical form for such challenges as you will face. Even juvenat treatments are of no aid, and I refuse to be entombed in a cybernetic sarcophagus. If you have any tasks to do within the imperium, you have one week. If you have any questions, ask them now, or later, it is of no importance.

His eyes scan over you all. Despite his clear infirmity, there is spite there; he is not-he will never be-a man to be pitied.
Back to top Go down
Pyritefoolsgold

Pyritefoolsgold

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyWed Jan 08, 2020 5:11 pm

The Magos felt pity, though he did not allow his body to express any emotion. How flesh could fail such a great man, and obstinate clinging to that flesh could prevent him from being properly preserved.

With a bow of respect, the magos excused himself. "There are a great many things I must attend to in order for this ship to set out in one week. I must begin at once."

He looked to the others. "Any tech priest in the employ of the family should be aware of my location, if I need to be found."

With another bow, he backed out of the room. Assuming no one spoke up to stop him, he finally turned and headed for whichever portion of the ship most demanded his attention.
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyWed Jan 08, 2020 5:44 pm

Roderick remained silent. He was filled with zeal from the oaths and the closeness of destiny, until he saw her. As she walked past him to pledge her allegiance to the family and the endeavour. Keeping his eyes locked forward, without moving a muscle took everything in him. He desperately wanted to gaze upon her, or catch her eye or something! He could tell from her demeanour, looks, and air of authority that she was from fine breeding. A family of service men and women dedicated to the Imperium's armed forces.

Her voice had the strong edge of a leader, used to giving orders and having them obeyed. It practically sung his heart into stopping as she made her pledge. Her stone cold blue eyes looked everywhere, scanning like those of a Commissar inspecting a regiment, as she walked back from the statue. They looked everywhere but at him! When she was past him, Roderick felt he might melt into a puddle in his cavalry boots then and there, so powerfully was he drawn to her. He had to make his acquaintance. He learnt that she was the ship's Master of Arms which meant they would deal with each other at some point. Sooner rather than later Roderick hoped. It was at that moment he knew he was in love, and that Mother would approve...

When the ceremony was over and they gathered in front of the Patriarch, Roderick was consumed with thoughts other than the mission which kept him silent when they were asked any questions
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyWed Jan 08, 2020 6:58 pm

Sitting still and taking in the atmosphere, Alexium's head tilted slightly. Ever scanning the surrounding areas like a sonar-driven sea creature of ancient Terra, it was easy to spot Roderick, standing in place stiff as board staring at....

Alexium smiled. The child immediately approached Victoria Stine. She was the Master of Arms. A true beast of a woman in the best sense speaking. She carried herself with a clear, unquestionable authority, and Alexium could almost hear Roderick's heart beating at the fight of her.

Oh, how fun.

"Master at Arms, a pleasure to make our acquaintance." The child bowed respectfully. When it rose again, it transfixed its silken-covered eyes on her own bright blues.

"I am Alexium Morai Dineh, the ship's Astropath Ascendant. As we will be spending much time together, I wanted to make our acquaintance. If there is anything you require of me, pleae do not hesitate to ask." The words of a skilled diplomat from the mouth of a child. Truly, this was a sight to behold.

+++

[Later on...]

Alexium approached Valry Mace. Earlier, the fun of meeting Victoria Stine had only been superseded by how Roderick must have felt during the interchange. Now, Alexium was all business.

"You must be our Master of Etherics, miss Valry Mace. It is a pleasure to meet you." The child let the last words linger in the air, sensing Valry's unease at being approached and spoken to so directly.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 5:40 pm

Victoria Stein Looked at the child, looked around with a face filled with mock confusion, and spoke, without looking at the astropath. She called to a few of the ratings.

Someone get this child out of here, he seems to think he's a psyker or some shit. Maybe send him to the priests to calm his imagination!

She signaled the ratings and turned back to her work.

Valry stared at the child somewhat bug-eyed. She had seen him on the brige several times, unsure of what to make of him. She wanted to stay in her auspexes, and sought to end the conversation.

Pleasure. Sorry, gotta work, too many ships around us.

She said this without even turning away from her station. In fact, looking at her more closely, her eyes where turned just enough to keep you in her periferal vision. She did not feel safe with someone behind her.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 9:17 pm

Alexium raised its hand to the ratings without taking its ees off of Victoria. "If you take another step towards me, I will make you think rat shit is caviar and you will never eat anything else." The child then took a step forward toward Victoria, this time when it spoke, its voice was inside of her mind.

Apparently my form has you confused. I understand, as it has confused many in the past. So you don't misunderstand again, I am the Astropath Ascendant on this ship, and if you ever need your imagination calmed, don't hesitate to ask. Alexium Morai Dineh, at your service, Victoria.

Alexium then turned away, taking a moment to look toward the rating who dared approach. You can run away now.

+++

Alexium took a step toward Valry. "You can spare a moment," the child said with a smile. It was not a question.

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySun Jan 12, 2020 3:42 pm

The rating seemed to turn and run, the fowl smell of urine appearing in the chamber. The others stood back, unwilling to engage the strange, childlike creature.

Victoria turned looking at Alexium with a bemused look. It was pretty clear she had not received your telepathic communication, her mind a steel trap

Whats with this sassy lost child?

+++

Valry turned slowly and asked: "For what?" Her voice trembled a little, she was not used to being accosted.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySun Jan 12, 2020 4:09 pm

Alexium smiled at Victoria and bowed. "Until we meet again." The child walked over to Roderick, sighed and raised its eyebrows, an odd gesture for one with no eyes. "As your friend, I'd say you have a better chance with a Carnifex than... her. I might have to melt her brain one day." Alexium looked inquisitive for a moment and then shrugged.

"Drinks? On you, of course." There was a very large, childish smile.

+++

"Tea. Naturally." Alexium smiled and held out a small hand to lead Valry to an area where tea was being served. Once they each had a cup, the child sat, legs dangling off a plush chair, but from the waist up looked all parts of the professional Astropath it was.

"Valry - do you mind if I call you that? Valry, I wanted to speak with you because for all the leagues of difference between you and I, we have remarkably similar jobs. We make sure information gets to where it needs to go, both in a timely and understandable manner. How're you liking the tea?" Alexium took a sip and then let out an "Awwwwhhhhh" in an overdramatic manner.

"Essentially, I just wanted to make sure you and I had a chance to meet. To sit down. To share our feelings and insecurities about the upcoming adventure into the unknown and potential calamitous death. Because at the end of the day, while my transmission may come from light years away, I will always rely on the Master of Etherics to see that they get to where they need to go within the microcosm of this ship. This is a mutually beneficial relationship, no?"

Alexium looked around with a face that almost said, "Where in the feth are the biscuits?"

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySun Jan 12, 2020 4:42 pm

Valry seemed quite uncomfortable at the whole situation. She delicately sipped the tea, but seemed dazed, looking at the astropath as if an elephant had come into her chambers and tried to describe 5000 years of administratum regulations on tax accounting. She mostly nodded, bobbing her head, unsure if Alexium wanted a genuine answer or was merely putting on a show. At the final question, she said

"I dont know. Is there anything more you need?"

She seemed to be making motions to leave, depositing the teacup on the table.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySun Jan 12, 2020 9:20 pm

"Valry, you seem uncomfortable. I have taken the time out of my extraordinarily busy day to sit down with you and get to know you, but I feel as though I have greatly inconvenienced you. Is this the case? Have I made a mistake in confiding in you and attempting to grow our mutuallu beneficial understanding of one another? I would hate to do something so rude."

Alexium made no motion whatsoever to allow her to leave this scenario of her own accord.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Pyritefoolsgold

Pyritefoolsgold

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyMon Jan 13, 2020 8:02 pm

The Magos did have a great deal to do, but first he needed to meet with the tech priesthood to review their reports and discuss any relevant details, as well as put together a plan to ensure that the ship would be ready when it was time to launch.

The meeting took place in the Tech-Chapel of the Engineerium, a small space reserved for meetings and rituals, away from the eyes of the menials and lay-mechanics who were allowed into parts of the holy drive.

A less holy drive than the legends of the ship had led him to believe. The Caged Sun with it's endless power, the deadly Dragonheart Engine, the sublime Logocaranthis, all had been transferred to ships since lost.

And yet, even with so much stripped away, it was still a glorious vessel.

++I assume you have had adequate time to prepare your preliminary reports?++ The Magos asked, opening the meeting.

++Mech-Deacon Rankine, tell me of the Anatem's heart. Will the great drive be ready when we are to set out?++

++Electro-priestess Rai, have you achieved any level of communion with the Anatem's machine spirit? What can you tell me of it's will?++
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyTue Jan 14, 2020 4:24 pm

Iron and Metal wrote:

Alexium made no motion whatsoever to allow her to leave this scenario of her own accord.

She delicately whispered a single question:

You good at detecting souls at range? I've heard of some capable of detecting a single sould from light-seconds away. Could really help with odder ships the auspex cant see.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyTue Jan 14, 2020 4:43 pm

Pyritefoolsgold wrote:

++I assume you have had adequate time to prepare your preliminary reports?++ The Magos asked, opening the meeting.

++Yes, enginseer prime.++ the group of officers responded.

Pyritefoolsgold wrote:

++Mech-Deacon Rankine, tell me of the Anatem's heart. Will the great drive be ready when we are to set out?++

++Magos Pulsanus, there is litte I can do to make it more ready than it already is. For something so small to produce so much power is inexplicable. But we can guide and leash this power, direct it outwards as must be done.++

Pyritefoolsgold wrote:

++Electro-priestess Rai, have you achieved any level of communion with the Anatem's machine spirit? What can you tell me of it's will?++

++I have. The spirit is ancient and wise, and more than willing to embark on this quest. There is data from as far back as M30 still there, though it seems the spirit swore oaths to safeguard much of it. So much of it I could not catalog it in a thousand lifetimes. As many of the older spirits, it sees us as its children, to be kept safe from the madness of the universe. It will take time to earn its respect, but if we can...the power will be incredible.++

The other officers reported on their sections. In the end, Electro-priestess Rai came up with conclusion.

++I am also glad to confirm approximately 15% of the crew will be from the priesthood. We will be able to maintain this vessel far longer in the void, and perform extensive repairs. All sections are reporting peak readiness early. If you have any additional inspections to reccomend, we have the time.++

Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyTue Jan 14, 2020 5:42 pm

Roderick's nostrils flared in irritation as his friend made a jaunty cocksure attempt at making acquaintances with her. His heard palpitated in jealousy as the little bastard no doubt used its gifts on her. All of this to toy with him! He did feel a moment of joy though when she coldly rebuked the Astropath and referring to it as a child. That was a good one...

When Alexium came sauntering back over, apparently oblivious to the shut down, Roderick remained still as a statue. Once Alexium stopped in front of him, he leaned forward and flicked the child on the end of the nose, the hard look of disapproval etched on his face. Though you can read my mind little one, out of courtesy I would appreciate that you didn't. Or, perhaps you didn't and I'm just that transparent... He stood back up to full height and looked at the retreating form of Victoria then. She is absolutely ravishing though isn't she? he said in a wistful voice, a smile on his face once again. And a Carnifex, you say? I don't doubt it, though I'll still try my luck I think. Mother would be very pleased with that one. After a long pause, and a deep sigh, Roderick snapped out of his reverie with a visual jerk and said, Come, let's find something for the thirst.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Pyritefoolsgold

Pyritefoolsgold

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyWed Jan 15, 2020 2:23 pm

The answers of his subordinate tech-priests did much to raise Ignatio's spirits after the disappointment of how much had been lost from the ship. He paused for a moment as he considered his options, running simulations in his mind.

++The Anatem is obviously a trade vessel, and a great prize to be captured. Intrusion of hostile personnel is therefore very likely, and successful defense and counter-boarding may be a path to victory, and therefore continued existence.++

++Excess time and resources shall be spent familiarizing ourselves with the Labyrinth of Kadath, and producing anti-personnel automated hardpoints and deployable traps to be placed within it. It will be a poor replacement for the proper Guardian Network, but we cannot allow The Prime Vessel to be overtaken because we lack the resources to do its glory proper justice.++

He paused for a moment, sweeping his gaze over the priests gathered there.

++This may be controversial for many of you, and I do not make this decision lightly. But alternatives allow for unacceptable risks.++

Then he turned to look to the Electro-priestess.

++Inform me immediately if the machine spirit objects to our efforts.++
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyWed Jan 15, 2020 5:54 pm

Pyritefoolsgold wrote:

++Excess time and resources shall be spent familiarizing ourselves with the Labyrinth of Kadath, and producing anti-personnel automated hardpoints and deployable traps to be placed within it. It will be a poor replacement for the proper Guardian Network, but we cannot allow The Prime Vessel to be overtaken because we lack the resources to do its glory proper justice.++

++Inform me immediately if the machine spirit objects to our efforts.++

The electro-priestess answered:

++Magos, current data suggests that the labyrinth of kadath already produces anti-personnel hardpoints, and is equipped with a mobility that allows it to be used as a living maze. This may be seen as heretical by the ministorans, but there even seems to be anti-astartes configurations, meant to hinder movement, ease attack on their vulnerable legs, make teleportation deadly, and trap larger units. With evidence that these configurations where developed - and tested - in actual battle. ++
Back to top Go down
Pyritefoolsgold

Pyritefoolsgold

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 5:31 pm

This information gave the magos pause, and he considered for a moment in still silence. Then, like a servitor activating, he moved again.

++I see. Given that, it is even more important that the labyrinth be investigated. Given that information, all observations and maps of the labyrinth should be encrypted in individual cyphers. I want sections of the labyrinth identified, and to have a tech priest assigned to each section to understand its intricacies.++

++Further, I will speak to our liason officer about arranging for several of the armsmen officers to assist in producing a plan for defending this engineering, and then to familiarize them with the labyrinth.++
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySun Jan 19, 2020 5:39 pm

++Certainly, Enginseer-Prime. We will arrange a small clade dedicated to investigating and maintaining the labyrinth.++

The various tech-priest where certainly excited by the opportunity presented to them.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyMon Jan 20, 2020 5:03 pm

Wendigo Bob wrote:

You good at detecting souls at range? I've heard of some capable of detecting a single sould from light-seconds away. Could really help with odder ships the auspex cant see.

Alexium smiled as she finally pushed out a softly spoken question. The child furrowed its brow for a moment after taking a rather large sip of tea. Putting down the glass and wiping its mouth on a sleeve of a soft robe, it thought intently.

"There's the spark of curiosity I knew was bubbling up inside of you. There is no one who doesn't have at least one question for a 'witch,' Valry... even if that question is 'how do you prefer to die?'" Alexium giggled at the last bit.

"'Good' is a bit subjective, but I have done it before. I have a very strong will, they tell me, and you need one to read souls, especially those far away. I am exceptionally good at making people... invisible, so to speak." The child had a feeling that the last bit, which was very much true, would interest Valry very much.

"Your question does belie the necessity of you and I having a better understanding of one another, right? Your technological equipment and their machine spirits, my knowledge of the Warp and bending it for similar purposes. Our individual crews and teams need to work in concert. What would you say if I suggested mutual training? Your crew gaining a better understanding of the Astropathic choir and its function and duties, and the Astropathic choir doing the same?"

+++

[With Roderick]

Alexium jerked its head back and frowned at the flicking of its nose. "Fool. I had no need to read your mind. I heard your jaw hit the floor from my position all the way over there." Alexium looked back once more at Victoria and would have rolled its eyes at his friend's fawning if it were possible. "Perhaps you're right. After all, it has been a long time since your mother was pleased by anything other than me, of course." The child shrugged, that never-ending grin stitched across its face at Roderick's expense. When the nod t get a drink came, Alexium was almost all too eager.

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyTue Jan 21, 2020 4:21 pm

[quote="Iron and Metal"]
Wendigo Bob wrote:

[color=#ff66ff]
"Your question does belie the necessity of you and I having a better understanding of one another, right? Your technological equipment and their machine spirits, my knowledge of the Warp and bending it for similar purposes. Our individual crews and teams need to work in concert. What would you say if I suggested mutual training? Your crew gaining a better understanding of the Astropathic choir and its function and duties, and the Astropathic choir doing the same?"

The lesser officers can go. I mostly want to increase our capacities beyond the veil. I see warp-surfacing every day when ships break warp. In the void beyond light of the emperor, we will need every advantage to see our enemies. Would you and your coworkers mind being strapped into cranial auspexes? We could see what you see. Try to project it forth.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyWed Jan 22, 2020 12:37 am

Lethia spends several hours parousing a manifest of wares available from the foreworld. Many factorums put out things like a simple screw in massive amounts, or o rings, or a vast array of sprockets and components to be assembled on other factorums or more likely, on other forgeworlds.

The episode on the ground assured her that she might be getting her feet dirty once again when they made another planet. This one would have less intel and possibly be more dangerous, she needed to be prepared.
Her Xeno-mesh she wore under her robes were perfectly fine against rowdy scum she would find walking through a hive, by but she needed something with more protective power.
Finally, her finger stops on the datapad, one factotum below provided ample amounts of carapace armor for equipping arbites or some other ground based infantry.
"This will do." she says to the empty room as she requisitions a chestplate be brought back up from the next shipment.

Putting down the datapad, she leans back in the overstuffed chair, satisfied she would have more portection next time they found themselves in mortal danger.
Back to top Go down
thepooreconomist

thepooreconomist

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 10:03 am

Torian spent most of the time before venturing out in the library, reading what he could about the void into which they intended to throw themselves. He spent a day going over their books and dealings, sorting out what he could and putting their ducks in a row, getting everything neat, tidy, and finished. From a fiscal perspective, their business in this sector was over. Now was time to find new ventures, new business, new suckers to exploit, new profit - however it could be made. He also took a day to look specifically at any books relating to the goggles he had recently acquired, testing them and attempting to find their full usefulness and abilities.

Time was short, and his reading list was long. He set up a cot in the library - for what little sleep with which he bothered.

[Ignatio]
Torian looked up with mild alarm as the crew-boy he had given a few thrones to keep an eye on when Ignatio might have a spare moment crashed into the room. "Calm yourself, Elmar, you'll knock over a bookshelf in your haste. Is Ignatio available?" As the boy began babbling that Ignatio was always busy, but this seemed a better time than any other, Torian strode past him without breaking step. The boy had been paid and served his task; their transaction was over, no need for wasting time.

Torian found the magos supervising several lower mechanicus members, blaring binaric cant to one another. He spoke curtly, well aware of how little most magii cared about inflection, wording, or any other flowery, human traits to language: "I will speak with your superior. Leave us."

"Magos, I wish to speak to you about your faith. I am not a man of belief, a fact that has plagued me for decades. Yet I see the zeal in your order, the strength in steel, the power in sacred incense. I recognize the spirits that run our machines. I would like this to be the first of many discussions, about the mechanicus, about the Omnissiah - may his everlasting guidance bring us salvation in our toils to come - about the way you have crafted your body into this form. I have not your calculating power, as simple flesh, but I think you will find my mind sharp, and perhaps the creative and emotive components of my brain can find unique solutions to those rare problems that your raw logical power may not be able to solve on your own. Together we might find ancient technologies of incalculable power, and acquire knowledge that has been lost for millennia. Let us work together in this venture."

[Alexium]
The first evening of their preparatory period, Torian was sitting in an overstuffed armchair in the library, a stack of books beside him, one in hand, sipping a glass of incredibly expensive sacra, when he felt a tickle in the back of his mind. Without knowing if his willingness to help was real or instilled in him - and not particularly caring either way (if you can't trust your family, who can you trust?) - he got up and walked out of the room. He let his instincts guide him through the labyrinthine corridors; he seemed to know exactly which way to turn at each intersection without thinking about it. He knew this was the gentle guidance of his friend, and let it take him where it would. Certainly wherever Alexium was taking him would be interesting.

He eventually arrived at Alexium's chambers, and knew immediately without asking that a matter of commercial significance was afoot. This was not witch trickery, Torian could smell it in the air, see it on Alexium's small face, feel it in his bones. Being a seneschal was not just a convenient job for Torian's unique talents. This was the reason he got up in the morning. He felt his body surge with adrenaline at the prospect of what might lay ahead. What might I purchase for you, my dear friend? What have you found that so excites you?"
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 4:26 pm

In the librarium, you where assisted by Archivist-Prime Miletie Lopband. Apparently there had once been more, throngs of people cataloguing and archiving. But that was millenia ago, when this ship was still the mothership. This place was one of the very few where old information was easier to get a hold of than new.

The library was massive-covering several floors filled with ancient tomes and datastacks. Nonetheless, it was a tad-mundane. Sure, there where plenty of ancient books, some quite valuable held in statis-crypts, but there was nothing forbidden, nothing objectionable, nothing truly worthy of the library of a rogue trader.

In the library itself, you could find a fair bit of data concerning the arcadian expanse. Vast astro-archives cataloguing every star in that direction. Astromantic charts predicting the likely beginning and end of the halo zone you could still reliably navigate. But almost nothing current, beyond a few repositories of old voidsmen's tales.

One told of the steel-clad oracle; a strange human who was said to wander the expanse, gird in exceptional artificer armor. They where a figure rightly feared, and it was said that they looked into your soul before deciding whether you lived or died. The only thing it always killed was space marines-regardless of their allegiance. But if they let you live, they would give a piece of knowledge unsought-for, impossible to know, to help you on whatever quest you followed.

Another told of the wandering market. It was said that in the expanse, the famed Stryxis held a market that traveled from system to system. It is said you could buy ANYTHING there-slaves, weapons, cybernetics, souls, blood, curses, and even more.

+++++

Concerning the glasses themselves, you found information in a book of "common" archeotech items. As the Magos had noted, they closely resembled the more common "Mark V" chem-plant inspection goggles. But this one was noted as "Mark IX", and nothing more could be found on that model specifically. Nonetheless, it did give a list of the most common uses:

-Commonly used by assassins to track prey, being able to track pheromones, hormone trails, even able to detect fear according to those who know it well.
-It is beloved by demolition and artilerymen, who can immediatly find structural flaws to exploit, even from a great distance
-Beyond that, many magos alchemis use it for its more "conventional" use.
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 7:14 pm

Roderick led Alexium to his quarters where he had his things stored. Over time it would be his intention to remodel it and give himself everything a son of Dalmore would require, a well stocked bar being chief among them. When he got to his quarters he waved Alexium to a stop. Wait here a moment. It's safer for you that way. He then opened the hatchway and disappeared. A moment later he called out It's all clear now, you can come in.
When Alexium entered the room, Roderick was standing facing the door and directly above him perched on a magnetically anchored cross was the eagle Haast staring at Alexium with forbidding menacing eyes. It tracks the psyker without blinking as it enters the room and remains focused on its prey. Best not to be in here when I'm not around. Haast here can be rather protective of his domain.
Roderick clapped his large hands and rubbed them together as he thought about the amasec in his belongings. Now, I lost a lop-sided bet, and though it pains me at the unfairness of it, I'll hold true to my word and buy the drinks. he turned and walked over to his footlocker while pointing over at a table and chairs. Pull up a seat and make yourself comfortable, though I don't have a high chair for you yet seeing as we just moved in. He placed his open hand on the lid and a moment later stepped back. Gears and beeping could be heard as the lid openned and transformed into a travelling wardrobe.

In one of the upright wings Roderick openned a drawer and produced a bottle and two crystal glasses. As he walked past Haast, towards the table, the eagle's perched pivoted on the floor to then be facing the two as they drank. Until departure, Alexium be under the ever watchful eye of Roderick's sentry.

Pouring two hefty serves, Roderick slid one glass to Alexium and took a thoughtful sip of his own drink. I don't know about you, but I'll be bloody glad to finally get out past the gate.
If we find a pirate vessel or two to stir things up, I won't mind either.
Back to top Go down
Pyritefoolsgold

Pyritefoolsgold

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 10:20 pm

The Tech Priests shared a moment of binaric chatter with Ignatio, and then quickly moved on, and the Magos turned his full attention to the son of Filiantius, watching him with the stillness of a pict-recorder.

When Torian had finally run out of words, and perhaps breath, Ignatio replied.

"I am of course at your disposal, my lord. We can discuss any subject you wish, and I will endeavor to answer your questions. However you must understand that I have taken binding oaths to keep certain secrets of the Adeptus Mechanicus from the uninitiated. Please do not order me to reveal them. Conflicting oaths are very... unpleasant."

There was a pause, as if to take a breath, but since the Magos used a vox system separate from his air intakes, it was more likely he was considering his next words.

"You say you are not a man of belief, and yet you speak of Machine Spirits and the Omnissiah. What is it that you have difficulty believing in?"
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 3:26 pm

Varly wrote:

The lesser officers can go. I mostly want to increase our capacities beyond the veil. I see warp-surfacing every day when ships break warp. In the void beyond light of the emperor, we will need every advantage to see our enemies. Would you and your coworkers mind being strapped into cranial auspexes? We could see what you see. Try to project it forth.

Alexium smiled and responded, "Oh, that won't be happening," before taking another sip of the tea. It was quite good and the Astropath made a mental note to steal as much of it as possible for its private quarters. The child then furrowed its brow and leaned in to explain, so as to not be completely rude or without proper understanding.

"You see, contrary to some popular understandings, cranial auspexes don't work in such a way. It is because the Warp is not biological. It would be like attempting to project a third dimension whilst living in only 2D. In our case, it is the fourth dimension. So, because it is not biological in origin, the auspexes would not be able to gain any true readings. Perhaps in our journeys we will come across a technology that you speak of and be able to try it out. For the time being, increasing our communication methods and knowing one anothers' duties inside and out will be a good enough start. Yes?"

Alexium stood and reached out a small hand. "Valry, it has been an absolute pleasure meeting and speaking with you. Please send your junior officers as soon as you can, and I will see that they are taken care of. I will speak with the Astropathic choir and send some of our attendants to you as well. I expect that in no time we will have one of the smoothest running communications operations in Imperial history." Alexium laughed and spread its grin wide. "If you ever need me, feel free to reach out. Another ally on a ship this size is never a bad thing to have."

Alexium bid her farewell, content that the foundations of a new alliance had been poured.

+++

Torian wrote:
He eventually arrived at Alexium's chambers, and knew immediately without asking that a matter of commercial significance was afoot. This was not witch trickery, Torian could smell it in the air, see it on Alexium's small face, feel it in his bones. Being a seneschal was not just a convenient job for Torian's unique talents. This was the reason he got up in the morning. He felt his body surge with adrenaline at the prospect of what might lay ahead. What might I purchase for you, my dear friend? What have you found that so excites you?"

Torian's arrival hadn't been a surprise. Nay, quite the contrary. Alexium knew exactly where the Seneschal was as he moved in search of the Astropath. Obviously. The child had put the thought into his mind. Torian had proved himself invaluable on their economic ventures so far, providing the skills to negotiate better deals for the team. The child had no doubt that Torian could also acquire such items just as easily. A thought had then occurred to Alexium and here came Torian.

Alexium smiled from ear-to-childish-ear, silk sheathed eyes practically beaming... if they could. Torian cut right to the chase. He didn't even act exasperated at having been summoned so intrusively. All business. Alexium could appreciate that. The probe into Torian's mind had provided much more insight into the man. The amount of self-interest could have killed a grox, but it wasn't vindictive, or evil, or even necessarily selfish. Torian's self interest directly translated into the crew's self interest. His presence here proved as much.

Alexium didn't waste time asking Torian to sit.

"Sub - dermal - armor. I was sitting here thinking 'why buy armor when I can literally BECOME ARMOR?' The thought enthralled me. Think about it; I could fly like the wind on this baby here," Alexium moved to the hoverboard in the corner of the room and lovingly stroked it, "And my body can take the punishment of when I inevitably fall off. More to the point, not wearing actual armor sometimes puts people in better moods for negotiations. Makes them feel as though they have the upper hand; so, it could come in handy for negotiations and such. Think you can get it for me, Tor?"

Alexium had no idea if the Seneschal would appreciate the on-the-spot nickname, but the child also knew that it would be the last thing on Torian's mind.

+++

EDITED FOR WENDIGO TO MOVE ME ALONG

Knowing preparations needed to be made, Alexium headed out to inspect the Astropathic choir...

Back to top Go down
thepooreconomist

thepooreconomist

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 4:11 pm

After days of fruitless searching, Torian accepted defeat in attempting to gain knowledge about the unknown. On the plus side, his tinkering with the new goggles had proved fruitful.

[IGNATIO]
"There are two things in which I put my faith. Money and power. I have seen many times the wealth and strength of your order. I wish - as you do - to learn what I can about the inter-workings of whatever we may find. I look upon your enhancements with envy.

I would not say that I am a man of no belief, but rather of little faith. What has faith gotten me? But I can see the evidence before me when your order douses my cogitator with blessed oils and it sputters back to life, when the right scent of incense increases marginal calculative return by multiple percentage points, when this ship whispers down its corridors. I know the gods exist, it is easily proven. But what have they ever done for me?

I was born in the shadows of the great factoriums on Skaros Prime. I grew up seeing my peers selected for serfdom to serve the machine god. I studied all I could of your order, and ended up a diplomat to them because of it. The only 'blessings' I see are the tools I have, that work like magic. My weapons take life with the power of stars, my cogitators perform calculation I could never. Your god has done much for me. I am sure you can understand my curiosity."

[ALEXIUM]
"Done. I'll bring some of the good stuff over once it's been secured."
Torian spun on the spot and walked out, already making calculations and contacting merchants.

[ALEXIUM AND RODERICK]
Torian lightly stumbled down the corridor, half-empty bottle of sacra clutched in his left hand while his right jutted outwards for balance. Upon reaching Roderick's quarters, he gave a loud, clanging knock, and called out, with just a hint of slurring, "That damn library is as helpful as an angry grox! I've decided to end that endeavor for now, and replace it with some careful embibement. Alexium, Roderick, celebration is in order! I landed a helluva deal with some swine upper-hive tech merchant."
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 4:27 pm

[With Roderick]

Alexium entered, never looking at the Roderick's pet and bodyguard Haast but seeing it all the same. The child's gifts, given by the God Emperor of Humankind himself, definitely had their benefits. As mischievous as Alexium was, the child was not a complete cunt. Gingerly, it lifted a hand and waved at Haast.

"Looking well, old bird. Glad to see it." Alexium ignored Roderick's warning about being in his room alone, as though the child would ever dream of such a thing. But it did look taken aback when Roderick dropped the news about not having a high chair yet. As much as it may have been a joke at the expense of the Astropath's height, it was a pain in the ass to have to sit low.

"You said it, my friend. And yes, the bet was flawed from the start, but who buys is ultimately less important than the fact that we both get drunk."

Alexium gratefully accepted the crystal, gave a cheers to the old friend, and sweetly sipped that fluid. The burn was a gift.

"Oh, how I wish some sad shit pirates decide to take their chances with us. How sweet would it be if it was them?" Roderick would know exactly to whom Alexium referred. The bloody renegade psykers that nearly took them both out; the ones who got away. The ones the child ached and longed to see burning.

"So... all honesty now. What do you make of this crew?"

Back to top Go down
Pyritefoolsgold

Pyritefoolsgold

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 6:09 pm

Ignatio listened quietly to what Torian said, and a moment of silence passed before he replied.

"There are three stages in the quest for knowledge: experience, understanding, and comprehension." He paused for a moment for that to settle in, and then continued.

"You have experience in the power of the machine spirit and the abilities of the Mechanicus, but you lack understanding. In the power of wealth, and of a bolter, you have gained understanding, or perhaps even comprehension."

"To put it simply, experience is to know that a thing works, understanding is to know how a thing works, and comprehension is to know why a thing works. Faith, however, is none of these things. Faith is the trust we must put in the Omnissiah, and the ancients, and our superiors, to be wiser than us."

"So when you say that you are a man of little faith, what I believe that you mean is that you do not trust easily. I think that this is likely because you have come to understand trust as you understand currency or a bolter: as a tool wielded by the powerful against the trusting. And this understanding protects you against those who are unworthy of your trust, but it also makes it very difficult for you to take your place as a part of a greater whole, as a cog in the great machine. It sets you apart, alone, in a vast and empty and hostile universe."

"I can teach you of the Omnissiah, of the nature of machine spirits, of the wisdom of the ancients, but my teaching will be of little value if you do not trust in my comprehension, and therefore in the value of my knowledge. Studying the technology of the ancients while disregarding their wisdom is incalculably dangerous, so, although I recognize this may be difficult, I will need to ask for your faith in these matters, especially given that there is much that I understand but cannot communicate."
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySun Jan 26, 2020 2:52 pm

Alexium:

When you arrived, a biometric scanner validated your presence and opened the door. The astropathic choir-chambers remained a place of privacy and secure data.

Entering the astropathic choir-chamber, you noticed they where fairly bare. An older woman, who you remembered was named Griffone from her data-file, was working on paperwork an keeping order in the office-space that served as an atrium. While they possessed the basic facilities allowing psykers to rest without fear of wyrds, it lacked the psychomatic projectors and other tools that a better-equipped vessel would have. As head astropath, you had a large chamber of your own in the back.

There where only 2 other astropaths present on the ship. Griffone was an older woman in her 50s, and experienced if unexceptional astropath that had also served in the navy until she grew sick of the constant orders. Seguro was a younger man in his 30s, sufficiently headstrong he had not found any other posting. This was a very small choir.

From a distant chamber loud, asyncopated music, sounded.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySun Jan 26, 2020 3:07 pm

Sylphilis wrote:
Putting down the datapad, she leans back in the overstuffed chair, satisfied she would have more portection next time they found themselves in mortal danger.

As you settled down to rest, a knock arrived at your door. Through a pict-link, you could see outside stood three other navigators; an elderly man you believed was called Arcturion Tar-Tzemopoulos, a middle-aged woman called Halbard Ra-Tzemopoulos, and an adult woman named Rabata Wol-Tzemopoulos. As far as you remembered, these where to be your assistants and, as far as you could recall, those meant to guide you. Your matron insisted that these more experienced navigators of secondary lines to teach you those skills beyond mere navigation. Despite your power and skill, your lack of experience was seen as a liability by those who saw further potential for you.

The elderly man spoke up.

Mistress, we have come to speak to you. There are preparations to be made for our departure. We must study the ship itself-it has powerful tools that we will be able to use in the outer dark.
Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySun Jan 26, 2020 4:02 pm

Iron and Metal wrote:
[With Roderick]

Alexium entered, never looking at the Roderick's pet and bodyguard Haast but seeing it all the same. The child's gifts, given by the God Emperor of Humankind himself, definitely had their benefits. As mischievous as Alexium was, the child was not a complete cunt. Gingerly, it lifted a hand and waved at Haast.

"Looking well, old bird. Glad to see it." Alexium ignored Roderick's warning about being in his room alone, as though the child would ever dream of such a thing. But it did look taken aback when Roderick dropped the news about not having a high chair yet. As much as it may have been a joke at the expense of the Astropath's height, it was a pain in the ass to have to sit low.

"You said it, my friend. And yes, the bet was flawed from the start, but who buys is ultimately less important than the fact that we both get drunk."

Alexium gratefully accepted the crystal, gave a cheers to the old friend, and sweetly sipped that fluid. The burn was a gift.

"Oh, how I wish some sad shit pirates decide to take their chances with us. How sweet would it be if it was them?" Roderick would know exactly to whom Alexium referred. The bloody renegade psykers that nearly took them both out; the ones who got away. The ones the child ached and longed to see burning.

"So... all honesty now. What do you make of this crew?"

Ahh yes, them. I cannot say I disagree, though I worry that this venerable ship may not be as powerfully equipped as I'd like when we see them again. He took another sip and mulled over Alexium's next question.

Present company aside, I think they're alright. Things seemed to go pretty smoothly on our first foray onto a new planet. Each has their own skills which will help us greatly when we are past the Gate. I was particularly impressed with the late arrival, that Torian Chap. Swindling that cogitator out from under the noses of the Mechanicum took brass ba...."That damn library is as helpful as an angry grox! I've decided to end that endeavor for now, and replace it with some careful embibement. Alexium, Roderick, celebration is in order! I landed a helluva deal with some swine upper-hive tech merchant."

Roderick smiled as he was interrupted. Speak of the devil... He glanced up at Haast. The raptor was still looking at Alexium, but broke contact to look a Roderick. The perch the bird was sitting upon began to rotate towards the door again so his sentry could watch the new entrant. Haast kept watching Alexium even as its body turned until Roderick shouted, You may enter. But cost of admittance is a bottle, payable upon your next entry. With that the eagle shifted its gaze to watch the door. As Torian stumbled in, Roderick pulled out a seat for the man to sit in. Seeing he had half a bottle in one hand, he merely placed a glass in the empty space, ready to be filled. Welcome. Don't mind the bird, he's pretty docile, usually. Just don't stare at him.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptySun Jan 26, 2020 5:17 pm

[In the Choir Chambers]

Alexium nodded respectfully, entering with a careful grace. The mischief that usually trailed in the wake of the Astropath gone entirely. This was a different situation, a different setting. This was not only home, but a bastion of power and prestige that almost had no equal save, of course, for their navigator. For without the choir, the ship was deaf and blind. It floated through the Void, desperate for contact, of which little would likely come.

Alexium understood this responsibility well, and the child would do everything in its power to see this choir perform exceptionally... and grow.

Briefly its thoughts went to the Jolanese Kingdom. There was an ally that could greatly aid the ship. That was a venture that absolutely needed to be pursued. It would have to wait.

"Griffone, Seguro, how are we looking? Is everything in order?"

+++

[With Roderick & Torian]

Alexium was about to respond in the affirmative when Torian made his dramatic entrance. The child smiled.

"You've come at just the right time. We were just about to talk grox-shite about the crew, yourself included, and make wagers on which one would get us all killed on our next adventure. Have a seat, have a seat." The Astropath moved over so that Torian would have plenty of room.

"We may have also briefly reminisced about long lost glory."

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyMon Jan 27, 2020 4:00 pm

Iron and Metal wrote:
[In the Choir Chambers]

"Griffone, Seguro, how are we looking? Is everything in order?"

Griffone saluted and replied immediately:

"Things are coming in order, though it would be faster if SEGURO DID HIS JOB"

The frustration was clear in her voice. Seguro walked out of his room hearing you arrive. There was a certain swagger in his demeanor, and a disinterested look on his face.

Ye've got everything well in hand missy, I'd just be in your way. Anything specific ya need Boss?

Griffone's face pursed in frustration. She did not like Seguro's attitude.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyTue Jan 28, 2020 4:43 pm

[With the Astropathic Choir]

Alexium sighed. Seguro was being Seguro and it was annoying Griffone to no-end. Griffone needed to be reassured that her orders were being tended to - even though she was hardly in a position to give them. It gave her edification, and the fact that her age was so separate from the stubborn Seguro no doubt ate at her pride. Seguro needed something to do that he felt was worth his station, again pride being the determining factor there.

The Astropath Ascendant decided to divide and conquer.

"Good to hear, Seguro. A word alone with Griffone, if you please." When they were alone, Alexium continued. "What is it that you need him to do? How is he not pulling his weight?"

He then did the same thing with Seguro when Griffone was out of earshot. "What did she ask you to do that you didn't?"

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyTue Jan 28, 2020 5:56 pm

Iron and Metal wrote:
[With the Astropathic Choir]
"Good to hear, Seguro. A word alone with Griffone, if you please." When they were alone, Alexium continued. "What is it that you need him to do? How is he not pulling his weight?"

Griffone:

He hasnt filed any of his paperwork! And what paperwork he's done is incomplete, and largely incomprehensible. And!

She went to Seguro's desk, took a scroll from the table, and inserted it into a locking safe.

He's leaving the cypher references out! If someone where to grab them, we's have to reconstruct the cyphers from scratch. He has no respect for how to work!

Seguro:
She's just being finicky! She has crazy expectations for procedure! The messages go through, thats all that needed.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC EmptyTue Jan 28, 2020 11:07 pm

She admits the house assistants with a silent bow.

"I understand. Where do we start?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC   Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC Empty

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1: Into the wild black yonder IC
Page 1 of 20Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next