A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

PC Creation Discussion / workshop

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Theoretical

Theoretical

PC Creation Discussion / workshop Empty
PostSubject: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 9:24 pm

Here's the place to give character concept ideas and discuss how to make them come to life!
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 8:07 am

I'll repost my concept now, but I haven't had a chance to give PC creation a thorough look through yet. So, I've no idea yet how to make this work mechanically.

Character Concept: Big and tough (WS guy) foreman or labor leader. Someone who works his ass off and is tired of trying to get better "rights" for his people as the repressive hive regime keeps smashing them back down.

Thinking high strength and WS, med-high charisma. Not especially book smart nor necessarily agile. Picture a brick shit house that really cares for his fellow laborers.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop EmptySun Aug 26, 2018 12:38 am

Once again, cool concept! I like it! You might find the character creation guidelines useful, but at the moment, it's mostly as the core rules.

In terms of Archtype, there's isn't much that would suit a brick-house labourer, certainly not in Human tier 1. The book does suggest considering other archtype abilities for custom abilities. In that line, I have some ideas. Let me know what you think!

Get'em Boys. The Foreman that works with their crew. Take Ork Boy archtype ability, which gives bonuses to melee attacks when allies are also engaging with their target. Swap keywords, give war gear, including Industrial bludgeon. Influence bonus at +1 (maybe).

Brickhouse. Tough, implacable, imposing. Take Skitarii ability (does not bleed and has bonuses to soak), then swap relevant wargear and keywords. Might consider swapping bleeding immunity for some other condition? Influence bonus at +1 (maybe).

Third option is to make a new archtype. Certainly doable, but more likely to be unbalanced. Will spitball ideas while things are slow.
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop EmptySun Aug 26, 2018 1:29 pm

I havent figured on a concept I like yet. I think someone mentioned a ganger, and Im kinda running one already, so maybe cultist?
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop EmptyMon Aug 27, 2018 3:08 am

Well, both cultists and Gangers are good picks! Did you have any idea on what kind of 'Imperial' citizen you would like to play? Shop owner? Administratium clerk?
Back to top Go down
Mighty Jim

PostSubject: Re: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 7:38 pm

I've posted a draft of a character in the PCs section, Severian Servetus, Inquisitorial Acolyte. I imagine him as a "face" character. He's an Inquisitorial Acolyte, but he's joined the Inquisition for the power, and is currently being punished by his higher-ups for behavior unbecoming the Inquisition (but not heresy) by being sent down into the hive city to get back in touch with the rest of humanity. Here's the draft bio:

Quote :
Handsome, intelligent, charming, and utterly amoral, Severian aspires to wield the power of the Inquisition to satisfy his own worldly desires. His plans have been momentarily delayed after certain modest indiscretions led to his ecclesiastical censure for venal sins too trivial to mention. Temporarily stripped of rank and authority, he has been “sent down” into the depths of this hive city to “atone” and “walk humbly with the Emperor’s children,” etc., etc. Severian takes this set-back in stride, confident that his ascent to power is inevitable and that those who have opposed him will regret it.

One flag on the field--I took the Devotees Talent. At this Rank, that would give me 3 hangers-on, credulous young city folk (gangers, etc.) impressed by Sev's charm and apparent authority. These rubes would have modest skills and could be used as cannon fodder, but won't leave even if we want them too (which would probably make anything involving stealth pretty comical). I'd love to role-play this, and I think it's consistent with the character, but I'm happy to re-spec into something else if it seems like a drag to the GM or the rest of the party.

Also, it's a little unclear whether Sev can even take Devotees: in the Talent chart, the pre-req is lists as "<Influence Skill> 4+," which Sev has (4 Persuasion), but in the Talent itself, it says the pre-req is "Leadership 4," which Sev doesn't have (and which I don't think makes sense for him). You could reason it either way, and the W&G forums suggest just having the GM rule on it. So please let me know what you all think.
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop EmptyWed Sep 05, 2018 7:03 am

Hey! Good work on getting here and having a character up and running! I was going to point you here, but you managed to find it yourself. Life's been busy for me, so sorry to say that you probably won't get super snappy responses.

Severian seems like a great character concept, and I'm happy to work with the devotees. I'm also happy to handwave the pre-req's, although I couldn't find anything on W&G forums.

I do have a question for you, are you planning on being upfront about working for the Inquisition? That could lead to an interesting, if very short lived, encounter.

Having a look at the character sheet;
Background: Feel free to choose your own background, and don't feel like you have to set homeworld to Guchov. That was just part of the example character I did. Backgrounds are on page 186 onwards, but aren't easy to understand. Let me know if you need help with it.

Objective: The Book suggests making up three objectives, and combine with their three to randomly choose one. Feel free if you would like, or try and sell me on one you particularly like.

Everyone starts with 2 Wrath.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Jim

PostSubject: Re: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop EmptyWed Sep 05, 2018 7:25 am

Great. I'll pull together the last pieces in the next couple of days. I think it'll be obvious that Sev is someone from the Imperial bureaucracy that's hit the skids (at least temporarily), but he doesn't need to announce that he's formerly/currently Inquisition. If we're going to start working with full-on cultists pretty early, then I imagine that Sev will view that as an opportunity to acquire power, both by cultivating them as allies and potentially turning them in later to curry favor with his higher-ups. He's morally flexible and won't want to rule out his options.

FYI, here's the thread on the W&G forums about Devotees pre-req.
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop EmptySun Sep 09, 2018 1:28 am

Hey Jim, has anyone pointed you towards the 'line' messaging app we've been using to talk?

For everyone, has anyone run into issues with character creation? Any questions so far?
Back to top Go down
Mighty Jim

PostSubject: Re: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop EmptySun Sep 09, 2018 7:44 am

I downloaded it, but I couldn't figure out how to connect it to the campaign or the boards or whatever the next step is. Please advise.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop EmptySun Sep 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Add one of us as a friend. My username is “nemby”.

From there I can get you into the relevant group chats.

Sent from Topic'it App

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 9:05 pm

Hey guys!

How's it going with Character creation? Sorry I haven't been pushing this, I've been pretty busy, but I'm looking to try and get some stuff moving in the next week.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Jim

PostSubject: Re: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 8:50 pm

OK, I updated Severian with objectives and revised him along the lines of your suggestions. I just need to look over the gear chapter and fill that stuff in, and he should be ready to go.
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 11:07 pm

Awesome! While you're working out your gear, let us get started! You've got a session 0 thread up and running! From here, any game questions can go in General OOC, or in the game thread itself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PC Creation Discussion / workshop   PC Creation Discussion / workshop Empty

Back to top Go down

PC Creation Discussion / workshop
Page 1 of 1