A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

PC Creation Guide

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Theoretical

Theoretical

PC Creation Guide Empty
PostSubject: PC Creation Guide   PC Creation Guide EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 5:18 am

Hi guys. Let's talk Character Creation. There's two major sections that need to be discussed. If you don't have access to the core rules, give me a PM and we can work something out.

Mechanical Creation:
At the moment we're 'mostly' following the W&G rules for Character Creation. Basic steps are outlined below.

1. Choose Framework: We're following the stories of characters falling to chaos / path to heresy

2. Select a species (pg 85). We're choosing Humans here.

3. Chose an Archtype (pg 100). Any human archtype in tier one is acceptable. Some finagling will need to be done for some characters. For example, a Priest's 'Acts of Faith' can be applied to Chaos characters, as suggested by the rules. This would allowing for a 'Imperial priest' to fall to chaos, turning their powers of faith and rhetoric from the Emperor to darker powers. NOTE: If you have a character idea that doesn't fit with an archtype, let me know. We might be able to play test some house rules to make it work!

From here we're spending points. Tier 1 has 100 points in total.
4. Buy Attributes (pg 155): Also known as buying stats. All stats start at 1, and the maximum value you can have is 4. Costs are in the rules.

5. Get Skillz (160): Skills start at 0, and max at 4. Please be aware that you need a 'tree' of skills. In other words, to reach level (n) in a skill, you need points in at least (n) skills, e.g.: to get Level 3 Stealth needs three skills to have points in them, such as Stealth (3), Leadership(1) and Tech (1)

6. Be Talented (pg168): Spend points to get talents. You can have at max 2 talents at game start (please note, in a display of ineptitude, the table on pg 80 does not include the Rank level talent. You can get up to two at game start). Going up a rank ('levelling up') will let you buy another talent.

7. Chose Wargear (182). Please note that your chosen Archtype gives you all the starting equipment. I'm certainly open to both 'Personalising equipment' and 'Additional starting equipment' as starting options, but I'll be leaning towards thematic choices rather than good choices.

8. Psychic powers. There are ways to get the pysker tag in tier one, but you'll be shoehorning it in essentially. The rules also suggest that PC pyskers are really dangerous to the team in tier one, as PC's are a lot less able to handle to downsides of Perils of the Warp. Let me know if your concept involves psyker abilities, we can talk it out.

9. Background (pg186). I missed this first time reading the rules. It ties a character's history into a minor mechanical benefit. By choosing a major piece of history, your character has some interesting background 'plot hooks' or so they say. Broadly, choosing 'Origins' or Homeworlds give +3 shock or +1 wound. Keywords are organisations you are close with, and get you a nice narrative contact in that organisation plus better relations with that faction (note, needs to be a keyword you already have). Accomplishments give you 1 influence or 2 wealth. Goals give you +1 Glory when completing an objective. Feel free to write something up yourself for the fluff side things, but link it to one of the board categories please.

Framework:
As I mentioned in the recruitment thread, layers will be playing as burgeoning cultists, following their story from disgruntled Imperial citizens to full blown heretics and revolutionaries. This campaign will take place in the lower levels of a hive city on an Imperial world, set before the events of Gathering Storm / Dark Imperium. I've got some planetary details that will go up pretty soon, but offworlders are more than welcome.

Key things to note are:
I would prefer not to have a full-blown chaos Heretic at game start. The fall is an interesting story, so let's see it!
On the other hand, please don't play a dyed in the wool zealous Imperial.

Post character questions / concepts here and let's have at it! I think I might have missed something here, so I might return to fill stuff.
Back to top Go down

PC Creation Guide
Page 1 of 1