A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Solodice

Solodice

Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC Empty
PostSubject: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyTue Sep 03, 2019 2:41 pm

OOC for this thread. Where we will handle combat rolls and any other missions specific questions.

Also, for bookkeeping. The Bucket has expended 30 points of fuel (15 to get to half way point and then 15 to slow down at half way point).
Back to top Go down
Urist

Urist

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyWed Sep 04, 2019 5:42 am

Rolled 51 https://orokos.com/roll/753910
So i fail history and int -20 to identify the ship
Back to top Go down
DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyWed Sep 04, 2019 9:49 am

I didnt do better.
#Rolled a 89 and failed even more
: 1d100 89
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyWed Sep 04, 2019 10:41 am

So when I present a roll with an or between them you must pick one or the other to roll for not both. Not a huge deal here though but keep that in mind of the future.

So, for Finley it's one of the largest ships he's laid eyes on since leaving Argo. For Nikolay it's almost the same size as the Laika-Class Carriers he's been on. Beyond its impressive size that's all those two get out of it.
Back to top Go down
DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyThu Sep 05, 2019 3:27 am

Ok, i thought if we have to choose we just roll for the better chances not both.
Is i am with the standerd 10% History i would go for an Intelligence roll.
Back to top Go down
Urist

Urist

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptySun Sep 08, 2019 7:41 am

Same for me, just wanted to indicate that none of the stats would have worked
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptySun Sep 08, 2019 4:44 pm

DrunkCorsair wrote:
Ok, i thought if we have to choose we just roll for the better chances not both.
Is i am with the standerd 10% History i would go for an Intelligence roll.

That's the idea. Give the anyone who has a good History skill a chance but if not let someone wing it with intelligence and see if they get lucky.
Back to top Go down
Urist

Urist

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 1:41 am

So my plan is:
- fly through the debris field
- match the spinning
- dock

Any complications on the way? Any pilot rolls needed?
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Urist wrote:
So my plan is:
- fly through the debris field
- match the spinning
- dock

Any complications on the way? Any pilot rolls needed?

Oh, there will be many pilots rolls. The debris field isn't as easy as Nikolay thinks either (a lot of the debris field has some chaotic vectors going on from collisions with other pieces). Also, remember this scene from Interstellar? That's what Nik is up against. Good thing he doesn't care about the g forces... but the rest of the crew might not like it (prep that G Cocktail boys!).

Let's start with the debris field. That will be a Pilot +0% roll.

Back to top Go down
Urist

Urist

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 12:20 am

Hahahaha i was not aware that is spinning that hard Very Happy
Seams like me char is an optimist.

Pilot Roll 88 (https://orokos.com/roll/755461), i go for a re-roll: 4 (https://orokos.com/roll/755462)
Back to top Go down
stevenart74

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 8:00 am

Mad idea of spin-shooting away the BIGGEST debris. . .

Maybe a PECULIARLY lucky roll will "Snow-Plow" our path, easing somewhat the Piloting Roll. . .

. . . . .

Let Me know also if some "Crime-Related" rolls could be done with the aim of "Investigating" what is absurd of the WHOLE affair. . . . .???

. . . . .

ABSENTIA WARNING. . .!!!

. . . . .

Unluckily for Me, a very, Very, VERY Serious PROBLEM of Health has arisen for a close Relative; things were CRITICAL ("Dead-On-Arrival Risk" Level of Criticalness) but are now A LITTLE MORE steady and perhaps-better. . .

. . . . .

If I disappear TOTALLY from the Forum is for this VERY SERIOUS issue. . .

Will check EVEN with the Smartphone but could NOT guarantee a STEADY check-and-writing. . .!!

Hope that GOD will be Merciful with My Family and the issue will be SOMEWHAT solved in the next, critical interveening days. . .

Thanks for Your comprehension. . .!!
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Urist wrote:
Hahahaha i was not aware that is spinning that hard Very Happy
Seams like me char is an optimist.

Pilot Roll 88 (https://orokos.com/roll/755461), i go for a re-roll: 4 (https://orokos.com/roll/755462)

Good thing for that re-roll ability as that first roll was a crit failure (rolling doubles over the skill score is a crit failure and rolling doubles under is a crit success).

Hope everything works out for your relative, Steven. I'll happily NPC Brando if you need to step away.
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 3:04 pm

So for Nik now he's got two choices. Spin up and a dock or just spin up and tether out Brando and Finley (they'll match the ships tumble and spin doing so). Obviously docking will give you better access, a quick way off, and the ability to send in back up but it is risky to attempt.

If you want to spin up and dock: Pilot -20%
If you just want to spin up: Pilot +0%

Doing either will require an Extreme G +0% roll from all of the crew. You must roll under your constitution skill number. On a failure take 1d3 HP damage. If everyone wants I'll let everyone steal one dose from Nikolay's G Cocktail stash (he doesn't need them but you all do).
Back to top Go down
DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 10:35 am

stevenart74
Hope it will everything goes well for you and your family.

For the game.
We dont nedd to dock, we could use my Grappler to pull us over if we are in 10 m tothe other ship. That shouzld give us a faster option than using the thrusters of the space suits.

The Extreme G Roll:
Target is 60

Done with 23

Extrem G Roll: 1d100 23

Solodice if i had failed could i have avoided damage with the Impact Armour of my Space Suit?

Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 10:46 am

The grappler is a good idea but to clarify on space suit thrusters they are pretty strong and can get you going to descent speeds.

As for the impact armor... no. Extreme G rolls is more about resisting g forces then being tossed around the ship. Think of it like when fighter pilots pull extreme maneuvers and they're trying to stay conscious. I might change the rules where it doesn't cause damage but if you fail the roll you black out instead.
Back to top Go down
DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 10:55 am

Ok, igot the idea of the Extreme G Rolls.
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Oh and for our pilot don't forget to add on the handling stat of the ship to your piloting rolls. The Bucket has a handling of -10% so that gets added to the difficulty of the roll. So the -20% Pilot roll for matching the spin/tumble and dock is a -30% and the +0% roll is -10%.
Back to top Go down
DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 8:19 am

Another question.
As we have an extra long waldo, can we anchor our ship with the waldo on our target?
Back to top Go down
Urist

Urist

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 11:54 pm

i will try to match the spinning, the odds are in our favor here.

So i can ignore up to -20% penality, so in total -10%.
And again, the re-roll saved our ass Very Happy
Result 24
(roll https://orokos.com/roll/756720 re-roll https://orokos.com/roll/756721)
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Urist wrote:
i will try to match the spinning, the odds are in our favor here.

So i can ignore up to -20% penality, so in total -10%.
And again, the re-roll saved our ass Very Happy
Result 24
(roll https://orokos.com/roll/756720 re-roll https://orokos.com/roll/756721)

So to clarify on the special ability "Ignore any penalties to the above up to -20%" for the consummate cosmonaut means anything up to -20% is ignored but anything beyond that still applies (supposed to show you can operate in tough situations but your skills only go so far). So a -30% is not reduced to -10%. It stays at -30%. However, Nik still pulls it off with that 24% as he would of needed to get under 30%.
Back to top Go down
Urist

Urist

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 11:57 pm

Oh i see, thanks for clarifying how the ability works.
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 5:19 pm

Ship is docked to the Stars In Our Eyes. Nathan is unconscious for this round (next group of postings).

Now, Brando and Finley need to give me willpower +0% rolls for those bodies. On a failure reduce willpower points by 1d4.

Next, everyone can give me a Navigate -10% roll to see how well you can find the quickest path to the ship's bridge (you have a rough schematic to work with from Sil-sim).

Also, don't forget that you can assist another character. So say if you can't make the Navigate roll or your skill is to low to make... why not just give another character an extra 5% on their skill? Wouldn't hurt.
Back to top Go down
DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptySat Sep 21, 2019 8:23 am

Solodice
I think with Willpower you mean a Power Roll

Power is 70% and i get a reroll for Tough minded

Willpower roll: 1d100 70

Done with the first roll. Very Happy

For Navigate my Skill is 50% so target is 40%

Done again.

Navigate: 1d100 18
Back to top Go down
Urist

Urist

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyTue Sep 24, 2019 2:47 am

Navigate 78 (https://orokos.com/roll/758529) so i fail
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 10:19 pm

Alright, Finley has found a good path to the bridge of Stars In Our Eyes. Now it's just a matter of getting there.

So Finley and Brando need to give me Zero-G -10% rolls. Additionally the two drones Remi has lent to them will let them re-roll Alertness and Search rolls (if they already can't). Also they can take direct control and send them to dangerous areas or check out other stuff they might not want to go or can't reach.

Brando will also need to give me a Search -10% roll.

For Nikolay that's still in the ship give me a Military Science (Stellar) +0% roll.
Back to top Go down
DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptySat Sep 28, 2019 6:29 am

Ok, for the Zero G rolls i use the Zero G bonuses from my caracter.

Zero G is 50% and i can reduce penalties by 10% and can do a reroll

So first roll:

Zero G Roll: 1d100 49

Seems to be my caracter is an absoult minimalist in passing rolls Very Happy
Back to top Go down
stevenart74

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyMon Sep 30, 2019 12:23 am

Howdy to all. . .!!

FINALLY I'm able to sit down for half-an-hour to type some answers. . .

Had a VERY difficult past week, NOT for the health of My hospitalized close relative (that is INSTEAD recovering quickly good and VERY speedily, for a quite aging person !!) but for the fact that, being distant from "Homebase" some concerned siblings and relatives arrived and TRIED to help, in their way, that absorbed OVERMUCH my free time. . .

Hopefully things will be better, FAR FAR BETTER in the arriving days of THIS upcoming week, but I could NOT foresee time-consuming activities that are much-needed for helping and alleviating the issues of post-hospitalization, home-bedding and any other related stuff. . .

. . . . .

Things are positive, but some issues in the past have teached Me to NOT be TOO MUCH Optimist in ANYTHING. . . . .!!!
Back to top Go down
stevenart74

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 12:59 am

Things are gettin far, Far, FAR BETTER, even I have some personal problems with nosy siblings that are QUITE HEAVY in their personal space infringement. . .

But NO MORE Alerts arrive on My Smartphone regarding news of the Game Threads or OTHERS linked to the site, so I don't know if there ARE new proceedings. . .

If I don't answer promptly EVEN if I have far more time now, is because I don't see those proceedings on the site. . .

Hopefully in the NEXT week things will be EVEN better. . . . .!!!
Back to top Go down
DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 7:40 am

stevenart74
Glad to hear from you and that things gone well.
Even if i dont have siblings, i have a lot of cousins with the same problems which i would sell happily into slavery if someone would take them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 5:33 pm

stevenart74 wrote:
But NO MORE Alerts arrive on My Smartphone regarding news of the Game Threads or OTHERS linked to the site, so I don't know if there ARE new proceedings. . .

Well you won't receive any if no one is posting in them but you Razz

So, if you weren't alerted to Drunk's or my post then something isn't working.

Anyways, you owe me a Zero-G -10% and Search -10% rolls, Steven.
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 3:13 pm

So Urist dropped from the game. I'm down to you two (Drunk and Steven). We'll keep going forward for now and I'll just NPC Nikolay. Hopefully someone else will come along but I'm not holding my breath.
Back to top Go down
DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 8:20 am

That sucks.

Back to the game. shouldnt the blast doors have some sort of emergency opening mechanism or something like that.
I suppose we couldnt make it through some ventilation shafts.
If nothing that easy goes we could use some thermite gel and go through the ceiling or bottom, whatevver should be easier to reach.
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 1:22 pm

DrunkCorsair wrote:
That sucks.

Back to the game. shouldnt the blast doors have some sort of emergency opening mechanism or something like that.
I suppose we couldnt make it through some ventilation shafts.
If nothing  that easy goes we could use some thermite gel and go through the ceiling or bottom, whatevver should be easier to reach.

The blast doors would have a manual override. Just depends if Finley knows where to look. For that give me a INT -10% roll.

The ventilation shafts are to small for a fully suited up adult. Someone smaller could fit. You could send one of the Buzzards through to scout ahead if you want.

Cutting up to the bridge from below would be the best bet. No rolls needed but it will take up all of the thermite gel Finley has on his person.
Back to top Go down
DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 7:43 am

Ok here is the Int - 10 roll

Intelligence roll -10: 1d100 7

I will write it out later / tomorrow, when i have more time
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyTue Oct 15, 2019 9:01 pm

So Finley has a picture of what's on the bridge. It's intact and they're aren't any big hazards. He just has to deal with the dead bodies but that's something he's used to.

If going onto the bridge give me a Search -10% to locate the black box's location. The Buzzard also lets him re-roll that Search roll if he fails.
Back to top Go down
DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptySun Oct 20, 2019 7:32 am

Sorry, been a bit late.
Nightshift this week hit me like a truck.

Here is the Search roll:
Skill is 40% so target roll is 30%

First roll:
Search Blackbox: 1d100 53

Failed.

Reroll with the drone:
Search Blackbox reroll: 1d100 89

Failed even worse, seems the ship is to old to handle.
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 7:26 pm

Yep, seems the old design has finally fooled Finley. Not the end of the world though. I'm going to see if the NPCs can help you out.

Nathan Craft: Mechanic roll -20 (assistance from Remi and Nikolay to make it -10): 34 (success)

Using his deductive skills from years working on all kinds of ships in USN Nathan knows of all kinds of places black boxes can be located. He gives Finley a list to check out. Pick one of these.

Central Spine: Away from the bridge and probably in a launcher that failed to go off. Stars In Our Eyes wasn't a military ship so having an ejecting black box would be odd but not out of the norm.

Zero-G -10% to get there.

Hidden Compartment: The bridge might have a hidden compartment where the black box might live.

Search +0% this time since Finley kind of knows what he's looking for.

Ejected: The black box might not be on board anymore and is possibly in the debris field. Getting one the old systems on the ship operation to work would tell if it was or not.

Craft: Electrician -10% to get an old computer console up and running.

Also feel free to add an IC to some of the new info revealed in the last update.
Back to top Go down
DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptySat Oct 26, 2019 8:13 am

I was still thinking what to write IC.

Can i get Remis help to get a computer console up an runing?
I would rather know if the Black Box is still on board instead of running through the ship and back and we could get some more info.
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptySat Oct 26, 2019 2:23 pm

DrunkCorsair wrote:
I was still thinking what to write IC.

Can i get Remis help to get a computer console up an runing?

Everyone will use their action to assist you. So that's 3 NPCs so that adds up to +15%. So the Electrician roll becomes +5%.
Back to top Go down
DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC EmptySun Oct 27, 2019 1:25 am

My Craft Electrician is 40%

Target roll is 45%, so i give it a try

And i fail again Smile

Craft Electrician: 1d100 79

SO lets try a search roll if i have time to look around

Search Black Box: 1d100 21

At least this looks like it worked.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC   Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC Empty

Back to top Go down

Curious Case of the Black Box - OOC
Page 1 of 1