A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Game Master Tools

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

Game Master Tools  Empty
PostSubject: Game Master Tools    Game Master Tools  EmptyFri May 03, 2019 3:13 pm

We all have our own approach to our games. The purpose of this thread is to share what those approaches are, giving one another some new tools to put into their GM portfolios. I'll start.

Note Book(s)

I like a hardback notebook that can take some abuse without coming apart. I tend to spend money on notebooks that will last, and these have given my the least grief. Recently, I have come across the Code&Quill Monolith. Here is the website.

It's $25.00 with free shipping (though this might only be within the United States). The back is extremely durable, it has a lay-flat design, and the paper is very high quality; in fact, one of the first 5-Star Reviews is titles "Perfect for GMing." LOL.

Game Master Tools  IMG-4331

- It comes in its own box; not important at all, but it made me feel special and ensured it didn't get thrashed during delivery.

Game Master Tools  IMG-4332

- It comes in Gray/Black (which I got), or red. The outside is textured almost like a football, so it has really nice grip whether it is in your hands or on a surface. There is also a red place-saver internally.

Game Master Tools  IMG-4333

- There are three page layout options: Line Indentation only, Dot Grid (left) and Line Indentation (Right), or Dot Grid only.
- I went with Dot/Line as I use grids for my maps and keep notes on lines. It's extremely convenient to have both in one place.

The only con I can think of so far is that it doesn't have a few pages at the beginning dedicated to an editable "table of contents" as some notebooks have. But that is forgivable under the circumstances.

Writing Implements

I have grown fond of Tul pens. They have a wide range of colors, and their .5mm needle points are great for everyday writing. I often don't write with larger pens than that, unless it is for headings.

For my maps, I use simply mechanical pencils to draw the setting, capital letters for PCs and color pencils to bring some life into it - usually this is red circles for enemy combatants and different colors for PCs to follow them more easily.

+++

I am also huge on stationary, so I am always looking for new tools. Bring 'em on!

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

Game Master Tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game Master Tools    Game Master Tools  EmptyWed Dec 09, 2020 2:01 pm

Has anyone come across this before? It looks outstanding just at first glance:

Customizable Planners for Players and/or GMs

Back to top Go down
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

Game Master Tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game Master Tools    Game Master Tools  EmptyMon Dec 14, 2020 12:50 pm

My GM tools are mostly just taking random notes in OneNote on windows. Not exciting or as satisfying as pen and paper, but easy to pull up on multiple devices, reference quickly mid game, etc. Was super convenient especially when I would update more from the office, so I didn't have to carry anything between home and the office every day.

As far as stationery...do you ever fuck with fountain pens? I have been using my Lamy Safari and some notebooks with high quality paper at home just for to-do lists, christmas lists and stuff and unfffff........

he/him
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

Game Master Tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game Master Tools    Game Master Tools  EmptyWed Jan 06, 2021 6:06 pm

DUDE.... this link never turned blue for me. I am shook and apologize.

You know, as someone who is so locked in to the computer so often, I never could get into keeping my notes in a digital form. That makes very little sense, I know that, but I have always kept a hard notebook of some kind.

I have yet to fuck with Fountain Pens, but I have been extremely curious. Speaking of high-quality paper and fountain pens though... I just bought this Bad Boy Pocket Journal from Lochby. It's pricey, yes, and I got it as a journal to keep in my truck and keep important notes in. Having said that, this dude's review totally sold me on it.

I bring it up because he nerded out on the Tomoe River paper quality and fountain pens lol:

I am going to check out the Lamy Safari now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Game Master Tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game Master Tools    Game Master Tools  Empty

Back to top Go down

Game Master Tools
Page 1 of 1