A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy Empty
PostSubject: The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy   The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy EmptyThu Aug 18, 2022 8:09 am

The room was one of many medicae just like it on the ship. It was loaded with specialized equipment for working on Astartes in particular. There were even two dormant medicae servitors nearby, ready to be called into action at a moment's notice should the need arise; however, this room had been chosen for the fact that it was quiet and inactive. It was near Draco's quarters on the ship, and aside from a few nicks and scrapes, the Blood Angel Seraphan had already seen to the team.

Lucius stood near one of the many large tables spread throughout the room. He wore only a light blue and white tunic on his torso, and similar light pants of the same material in blue. These were the traditional garments of the Barbarians of Honorum, the Novamarines homeworld. His face and the sides of his head were clean shaven, fresh, to provide the smoothest surface for the work that was to be done. The thick strip of hair that ran from the top of his forehead to the base of his skull was also freshly trimmed.

Golden eyes speckled with black moved across the set of tools laid out in front of him. The roll bag that contained them was one of the items he had brought from his home chapter. Inside of it were the tools to write stories that generations of Novamarines would remember. And now, assuming he made it home - or at the very least his body did - his Battle-Brothers would know not only of his own deeds, but see that Carcharadon and Novamarine had been tested in blood and fire and had become brothers as well.

Up to this point he had written all of his experiences, battles, tactics employed and countered, in the Libris. The great tome of updated battle knowledge was as sacred to the Novamarines as the Emperor was to the Black Templars.

Now he would write a new story on a new brother. And in turn, he would have a story written upon him.

He began to meditate on brotherhood, command, and the battle ahead as he waited for the one he truly considered his brother.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy   The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy EmptyMon Aug 22, 2022 3:58 pm

Hydrako drifted into the apothecary silently, knowing Lucius was already present before he crossed the threshold. Very punctual, brother. He hissed from the gloom. Lucius sat under the light overhead light of a single table, eyes closed.

Hydrako approached the table and rolled out a leather bundle containing tools and bones, many different kinds of bones, each with intricate swirling patterns carved directly onto their surface. It was an interesting side of Hydrako that none knew the secretive Carcharodon possessed. The patterns were artistic and delicate, yet harsh and savage in their own way. He pulled out a tiny set of bones and held them in the palm of his gauntleted hand to inspect. There were three of various sizes with much cruder designs, though they appeared to be from the same being. Hydrako closed his fist and shook them like a set of bone dice, rattling softly, before tossing them across the table top. His nostrils flared as he read them and then turned back to his tools. There were various chisels, mallets, scribing instruments, and files in the bundle. Upon closer inspection, Lucius might recognise some of them as basic forms of tattooing tools.

We must make a pact, you and I. If one of us is to fall on the Thule, the other must recover the geneseed and teeth. They are all that remain after we die. They are our legacy to be passed on. Our Chapters must remember our legacies through our stories also. Our triumphs and our failures. My Chapter does this through scrimshawing upon bone, ceramite, and flesh. Much the same as yours does, though yours are more...picturesque. He paused as he looked at Lucius' mouth, wondering if he had a full set or not. We seal these pacts in blood, though something more permanent may be your preference.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy   The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy EmptyMon Aug 22, 2022 6:51 pm

"On time is late," Lucius quipped back without turning. He had just finished arranging the tools correctly. Lucius eyed the Carcharadon's tools and nodded savagely.

"I learn something new about you every day. That's why this relationship works. We keep it spicy. By the way, do the bones say?"

When talk of a pact began, all of his joviality dropped off. This was serious, and they both understood that. To share the secrets of a Chapter with another - the traditions that were held sacred above all else, even the Emperor for some - was worth taking seriously.

When Hydrako finished, he pondered something for a moment and then walked to a kit bag he always kept with him, fishing something out before returning.

"The geneseed and the teeth, for they are all that remain after we are taken from these mortal coils. Though, should I fall you shall recover my geneseed so that my chapter remain at strength, my teeth so that my legacy is secure, and this."

He held out a data slate. It looked rather typical, if not supremely reinforced. Hydrako was convinced the data slate could take a bolter round at point blank and likely shrug it off.

"This is my contribution to the Libris Anomalus, a tome of all of the Novamarines accumulated knowledge fighting the terrors of the galaxy. The slates of those of us who serve in the Deathwatch are highly valued once they are uploaded to the Libris. Every battle we have fought together, every tactic employed, every victory, everything that is Draco is on this slate. It needs to be recovered and brought back to the Novamarines in the Watch, should I fall."

He allowed Hydrako as much time to look it over as he needed.

He then showed him the tools he had brought. They were perhaps surprisingly simple: brass instruments that, if compared to Hydrako's, were remarkably similar. These were ancient implements used by the Barbarians of Honorum long before it was a part of the Imperium. The dyes arranged were dark blue and some black, which matched the rest of Lucius' body art.

"We will seal the pacts in blood, and I will follow the tradition of the Carcharadon as to how that is done. Though, I did have something a bit more 'permanent' in mind."

Lucius handed over a sketch he had taken the time to draw out. Hydrako could immediately see that he was looking at a sketch of his own left shoulder pauldron, as well as Lucius'. The Shark of the Carcharadon was plain as day, as was the Skull-Nova of the Novamarine. Underneath each, the chapter emblem of the other had been welded on with the High Gothic: "Fratres Usque Ad Mortem."

Brothers Until Death.

Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy   The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy EmptyTue Aug 23, 2022 2:13 am

Hydrako's teeth scythed together as he looked back at the bones. They say...nothing. They're bones. Though to look at them now, with the power of hindsight, you could say unfettered.

Hydrako took the proffered dataslate and examined its contents briefly. There were countless battle reports, engagement analyses, foe descriptions, and tactics within its memcoils. He could appreciate that were one to plumb the depths of its knowledge they would become a master of war. He placed the slate carefully down on the table despite its robustness and looked Lucius in the eye. I will recover this relic above all else to secure it for the Nova Marines Chapter. I would recover your teeth before your geneseed, given you sons of Guilliman are so numerous, however, I will persevere to recover it second. The teeth remain, and yours will do so under my watch as your blood brother.

He reached into a sleeve in the unrolled bundle and produced a small shallow cup or bowl with more crude scrimshawing across the outer surface. It was the top of a small skull, which he set down gently on the table before reaching for the paper. He looked at it and nodded once, appreciating it as one link in the many that bind them. This is good. It will bind our Chapters beyond our service to the Deathwatch and the Emperor.

He pointed at Lucius' bare skull, waiting for a new mark. I will carve a scrimshaw there, if you permit it. It will be symbolic of our battles against the Beast and my debt to you. He then raised his chin to expose his throat. You may put something across here, in keeping with Honorum tradition, he emphasised the place with a slashing motion of his thumb.

We will then seal the pact in blood, he echoed, as he nodded to the cup.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy   The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy EmptyFri Aug 26, 2022 7:56 am

Lucius laughed at the response. Of course the teeth would say nothing. They were teeth, but he did secretly hope that Hydrako had some sacred Carcharadon insight into divination that might come out.

"'Unfettered.' That is fitting for you. A visage of calm, poise, and control... until you aren't. How fitting then for Draco."

He took the dataslate back and was forced to smirk again when the numerous Ultramarines were brought up. "The Ultramarines are a good lot. Disciplined, focused, versatile. But one on one, they couldn't hold a Novamarine's codpiece. Something about the barbarity of our upbringing." He smiled and tapped the tattoos that lined his head, made more exceptional by the four scars that ran across his face from forehead to chin, two over each eye.

When the instructions were laid out, Lucius took a seat. His hearts slowed as his breathing became deep and diaphragmatic. The pact was not yet sealed in blood, but it was made, and to Lucius that was the same thing.

The Novamarine then embarked on a journey that would not only seal his and Hydrako's fates together, but that of their Chapters as well.

Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy   The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy EmptyThu Sep 01, 2022 3:01 pm

Hydrako blinked once at Lucius, and paused for a long moment before responding. Yes, restraint is temporary. It should not be a shackle to hold us back from duty. He looked at the bones again. That is what they say. They are a warning. Do not cage your wrath in civility. Use it and it will free you. He jerked his eyes away and reached for another bone bowl. This one was bigger and stained darkly inside. He produced a black powder from the wrap and poured it in. Scrimshaw tattoos are made with the blood of the receiver. He presented the bowl and a scalpel to Lucius.

After mixing the contents of the bowl together, Hydrako reached for a chisel and mallet. He gripped them in tight fists, and for a moment it looked as though he would use them to strike his brother. After a moment, his grip relaxed and he approached Lucius. Hold still. This is supposed to hurt... With that he loomed over Lucius and began tapping

Upon completion, he put down his tools and swept a small mirror from a rack on the Apothecarion wall. Lucius saw a swirling representation of the beast of Thule encircled by skeletal jaws, reminiscent of the tooled Crux on Hydrako's shoulderpad, within the corona of the Novamarines. This represents the moment we became brothers. The battle on the bridge with the Beast. This was the moment I was destined to perish, only to be pulled from the magma by you. I am in your debt for that.

He stood up and took another seat, presenting his throat. Your turn, he hissed.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy   The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy EmptyTue Sep 06, 2022 2:12 pm

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy   The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy EmptyThu Sep 08, 2022 3:34 pm

Lucius received the tattoo, allowing his body to lessen the pain inhibitors so that he could feel it more. The Novamarines were discipline and structure, very much like their Ultramarine predecessors. But they were also so much more. Somewhere between Ultramarine and Carcharadon, if such a thing could exist. And Lucius knew it could.

When the work was completed, he looked it over. His grin turned into a wide smile. He said nothing other than a nod and a slam of the fist on his chest. Brothers they would be now until the end.

The Novamarine ritual was perhaps less sacred, but just as brutal. Blood was placed into the bowl. This was atypical, but this was an atypical situation. Customs needed to be meshed as a new tradition formed. He began his work...

...When he was finished he nodded and slammed a fist against Hydrako's shoulder. Handing him the same mirror Hydrako saw a huge Tyranid skull - a Harridan.. no, THE Harridan that Hydrako struck the killing blow to over Castobel. Behind it, a living Carcharadon bit down on its spine. Surrounding it all was  a Corona, the exact same of the Novamarines, but also an indicator of Hydrako's deathblow with the meltabomb.

"Brother, this was the moment I knew you were a Tyrannic War Veteran, just as me. Regardless of the color on a pauldron, we share a bond now that many will never understand. You owe me nothing. I pulled you from your fate because you would have done the same for me."

EDIT: "Oh yeah, it also wasn't the first time I had to fly your lazy ass around to keep you from dying." His smile widened.

Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy   The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy EmptyMon Sep 12, 2022 6:30 pm

Hydrako's teeth flashed at Lucius' last quip, though to call it a grin was not quite right. A dreadful leer would better describe the way his scarred face split to reveal his adamantine teeth and reinforced jaws. Anything to make you feel useful, barbarian. With that he stood and began removing his gauntlet as he approached his tools. From a pouch on his waist he produced a human skull and gently placed it down, cavity up. It was another small human skull which had been converted to a drinking vessel, and it was stained black inside from frequent use.

Just as many times before, Hydrako slashed his wrist with his teeth raggedly, letting the blood run into the cup. When it was half full he removed his bloody hand and wiped it across new iron insignia on Lucius' pauldron. He presented the cup for the Novamarine to contribute.

Once they had both added their Chapter's and Primarch's legacies together, Hydrako dipped his hand into the cup and wiped it across his throat, over the new tattoo there, and then drank. Crimson flowed from the corners of his mouth before he presented the cup to his Brother. Blood will seal our pact, much as it does during our oathing ceremonies. Blood contains the strength of iron, but it is its legacy that makes it truly timeless. It will keep this brotherhood sustained until our bodies are sundered and we fight again at the Emperor's side.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy   The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 7:23 am

Lucius took a blade from his tool kit and made a slash on his wrist, mimicking Hydrako. He followed the same steps and drank, wiping the blood across his flesh where the tattoo was fast healing.

The ritual was complete. Carcharadon and Novamarine were bound now by flesh, blood, and honor.

"And now, in accordance with Novamarine custom... we kiss."

Lucius awaited the strike that surely would follow, ready to duck and weave out of the way. Whether or not it came, he did embrace Hydrako as a brother would.

"We go back into the Thule soon. How will you prepare? Will the Shark move with speed and agility toward its prey, or lurk slowly in the depths, the largest beast ready to crush all between its jaws?"

He cleaned up his kit and picked up his treasured data slate. As the conversation continued, he added "I heard word that the two scouts are having drinks in the mess hall. Shall we join them and teach them how real Astartes drink?"

Back to top Go down
Hydrako
Senpai
Hydrako

PostSubject: Re: The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy   The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy EmptyMon Sep 19, 2022 3:20 pm

Hydrako's leer split his features once more as Lucius slashed his wrist and partook in the blood letting. His face suddenly turned to stone as Lucius mentioned the Novamarine custom. His eyes turning to slits as he regarded his brother with suspicion. I do not think you would like a kiss from me. It would be better to kiss a genestealer. More tongue and less teeth...but if you insist. he leaned in and then lashed out with a backhand, causing the Novamarine to sway back out of the way. He tisked at himself and inspected his hand for faults. Sloppy.

He considered Lucius' question and appreciated the metaphor My jump pack will be a hinderance in the confines of the Thule. I will be better placed to act as a bulwark against the tide and create space for the rest of the killteam. Clad in my terminator armour, I will be the biggest predator in there and will keep you safe. How will you prepare?

He considered the thought of drinking, teeth scything. I would consider it, but the thought of drinking that barbarian swill makes me wonder if my teeth will rust...However, if you are interested, I will attend with you.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy   The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy EmptyMon Sep 19, 2022 7:01 pm

"Let us head over; we can talk on the way. Your terminator honors served us well on Castobel. They will again this time around. Me? Very similar to last time. Stay fast and agile with the jump pack; try and control the battlefield wherever I am needed - and laden down with all the krak grenades I can carry."

Lucius had taught some of the members of Kill Team Draco some of what he'd learned in the Tyrannic War against Behemoth. He had watched Hydrako stuff a melta bomb into an alpha-beast's neck. The skills were tried and true.

"There is a relic - a power sword that once belonged to a Blood Angel - responsible for felling monstrous Tyranids. If I am worthy, I would take it with us as well. The Shard of Bekrin they call it. Oh... and I am most definitely bringing a melta bomb this time. I can thank you for that new habit."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy   The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy Empty

Back to top Go down

The Ritual: A Brother's Legacy
Page 1 of 1