A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Want to help others who are suffering from COVID and the economic meltdown?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

Want to help others who are suffering from COVID and the economic meltdown? Empty
PostSubject: Want to help others who are suffering from COVID and the economic meltdown?   Want to help others who are suffering from COVID and the economic meltdown? EmptySun Mar 29, 2020 7:26 pm

Hi all,

I was dropping off some food for some folks in need this weekend and it made me wonder if there was anything our community could do to help others right now.

As I'm sure you are all aware, beyond the disease itself, a lot of people are really hurting here in the United States because they've recently lost their job, can't afford rent or food, etc. etc...and I can imagine the same thing is going on in a lot of other countries.

Meanwhile, we've got people stranded inside, especially elderly and immunocompromised folks who may be too afraid to go to the pharmacy or grocery store.

If you're like me and young, healthy, and/or gainfully employed, I'd urge you to consider lending a hand.

As an extra added incentive, I've actually started offering bonus XP to the players in my game for anything they do for others amid the crisis.

If you're a GM on the site, I'd highly encourage you to do the same. I know it's silly, but in my eyes, anything we can do to get people to pitch in is a good thing.

Some ways you can help others in your community:

- Check in on neighbors to see if they need anything
- Offer to run errands, get groceries, pick up prescriptions, etc. for older folks and immunocompromised people
- Donate food to a local food bank
- Donate blood (hospitals are having a big shortage)
- Write letters to people stuck in isolation (being isolated for weeks on end while fearing for your life is no joke for mental health...letters can make a big difference)
- Volunteer to help out at a food bank or similar community organization
- Send money to people in need (I personally am not a fan of most non-profits and prefer to give money directly to people in need, but if you'd like to donate to a non-profit I support that)

At risk of being too political, we can't really count on our government to save anyone. It's on us to care for our neighbors and the people who are hurting in our community. We will get through this together!

P.S. If you have other ideas on how to help out, I would love to hear them in the comments. All ears for any other comments or questions as well.

he/him
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

Want to help others who are suffering from COVID and the economic meltdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want to help others who are suffering from COVID and the economic meltdown?   Want to help others who are suffering from COVID and the economic meltdown? EmptySun Mar 29, 2020 8:43 pm

Bob, first and foremost, I just want to see that this is an absolutely amazing thing you're doing. Just the fact that your first instinct was to help is really something to be praised as many people's first reaction is fear. And I want to point out that feeling fear is OK as long as we don't give in to it and let it run us; it's clear you're not doing that.

Offering XP is a legit reward. We are all here to game; we might as well be productive, good citizens IRL and get some XP for it lol.

I'll be posting this thread in my game and offering XP as well to my players. Fuck yeah. 100%

Quote :
Meanwhile, we've got people stranded inside, especially elderly and immunocompromised folks who may be too afraid to go to the pharmacy or grocery store

I posted on Instagram last week basically a PSA for anyone willing to take me up on the offer offering to go to the store/pharmacy/etc for anyone who is in a high-risk group or cannot leave the house for any reason. I strongly urge everyone out there to do the same; as long as you're comfortable with it, we all have a neighbor, friend, family member who should not be going out right now. They should be our priority.

As for other ideas, I know this is a bit hands off and not directly related to helping people - but now is a good time to help clean up communities. If you can plant any trees, obviously that's amazing. But simply being aware and taking pride in your surroundings as you go on daily walks (hopefully you are able) and just picking up trash, making sure you're recycling, etc. etc.

Other than that, I'll keep my ears open.

Really, fantastic post and fantastic initiative, Ian.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Want to help others who are suffering from COVID and the economic meltdown?   Want to help others who are suffering from COVID and the economic meltdown? EmptyMon Mar 30, 2020 5:33 am

Thanks for the kind words and thoughtful response, Jeff. Great idea on cleaning up around your community as well - it's something everyone can appreciate, especially when more and more people are out for walks.

I know a lot of hospitals in the states are accepting N95 masks, hand sanitizer and sprays, and so forth...but I don't think most people have those on hand right now or know where to get them (I sure don't, if anyone does, let me know where to look).

he/him
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Want to help others who are suffering from COVID and the economic meltdown?   Want to help others who are suffering from COVID and the economic meltdown? EmptyFri May 22, 2020 4:35 pm

So, this isn't as hands on as I would like, but Aly and I are lucky enough to be in a position to donate money here and there. My college has a student relief emergency fund set up, and we were able to drop them some cash this month. This money goes into a pool that is then allocated to in-need students for costs associated with gaps in technology needed to continue their education, medical and child care expenses, housing, etc.

I hope everyone is staying healthy physically and mentally and helping others when/where you can.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Want to help others who are suffering from COVID and the economic meltdown?   Want to help others who are suffering from COVID and the economic meltdown? Empty

Back to top Go down

Want to help others who are suffering from COVID and the economic meltdown?
Page 1 of 1