A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Session 0: Severian Servetus

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Theoretical

Theoretical

Session 0: Severian Servetus Empty
PostSubject: Session 0: Severian Servetus   Session 0: Severian Servetus EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 11:06 pm

The Inquisitor’s office, or at least, her current one, was a place of research and comfort. Bookcases lined the walls, filled with priceless tomes and data slates stored with esoteric information. Two large armchairs, placed in separate corners of the room, allowed for almost decadently comfortable research. The middle of the office was taken up by large desk, made from exotic woods and with beautifully carved scenes of the Emperor’s majesty. Rumor had it that the desk of a gift from a grateful planetary Governor. An opposing rumor instead posits that the desk ‘disappeared’ after the previous Governor was executed for incompetence. Regardless, the desk was the striking feature of the room, a conspicuous juxtaposition to the figure sitting behind it. The Inquisitor, a figure of great importance and power, appeared to be a plain, unassuming women in her late thirties. There were even more rumours about her simple appearance, ranging from the mundane to the unbelievable.

“Come in, Severian.” The Inquisitor indicates a chair with one hand, her attention fixed on the papers sprawled out on the desk. A brief moment passes, before she raises her head to look at you. Her eyes glittering with intelligence, a sharp contrast to her ordinary features.

“You’ve caused me some consternation, Severian. I have a report here from our Ecclesiarchy allies. Apparently, your contact was quite disturbed by some of your actions, despite the successful completion of the mission. They are requesting that I reprimand you quite harshly. Would you care to explain?”

Questions to answer:
Back to top Go down
Mighty Jim

PostSubject: Re: Session 0: Severian Servetus   Session 0: Severian Servetus EmptyWed Oct 03, 2018 7:59 pm

"Who, the Ministorum Priest? Algar?" Severian asks, removing a glove and passing his bare hand across the edge of the desk. "Jarrah wood?"

Impressed, Severian takes the offered seat and continues. "Yes, he did seem agitated, now that you mention it. We had rooted out an emerging coven of unsanctioned psykers among his flock--mutants, of course--all clustered in the family of some local headman or another. The inquiry caused some ill-will among the locals, no doubt, and inconvenience for our brethren in the Ecclesiarchy. But as I'm sure you'll agree, we must be thorough in such matters, and I questioned each of the headman's seven daughters myself. Algar seemed to object to the thoroughness and--shall we say--vigor of my inquiry."
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: Session 0: Severian Servetus   Session 0: Severian Servetus EmptySat Oct 06, 2018 7:25 am

Her face flickered briefly as Severian's bare hand stroked the desk, a rare display of emotion for the woman. Whether it was a smile or grimace, it was hard to tell. For the rest of Severian's explanation, however, her face was a mask of stoic indifference. In fact, the only visible movement was her hand, which was lightly travelling across various papers and data slates as he spoke. Her long fingers paused on a particular dataslate as Severian finished, an Ecclesiarchy header clearly visible.

"Yes, Algar did object. Unfortunately for you, his protests resonated with a few, shall we say... more important, figures. Cardinals are calling for your censure. Which isn't so bad within itself, the work of the inquisition is above the desires of priests and cardinals." She nods her head once in your direction, an acknowledgement of Inquisition camaraderie. “However, the… manner... of your investigation has raised some questions with myself and my staff. Your ‘questioning’ aside, you attracted too much attention, most of it negative. Negative attention isn't something we like to see in acolytes. Indeed, Interrogator Dalmir has rescinded his offer to join his team, citing your apparent inability to remain unnoticed. Do you understand?”
Back to top Go down
Mighty Jim

PostSubject: Re: Session 0: Severian Servetus   Session 0: Severian Servetus EmptyThu Nov 08, 2018 1:55 pm

"Of course. Unfortunately, I had no choice--Algar had let the heresy take deep root among the burghers and merchants who counted themselves the most noble of his wretched flock. Sad creatures, imaging themselves grand and noble, and beyond the reach of the Inquisition's power. The headman that led the cult counted on his influence to shield him and his family. Now they know the limits of worldly power."

"Still, I deeply regret that my actions have inconvenienced you. There must be some way I can make amends--some petty task that I can undertake? Some burden I can lift?"
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: Session 0: Severian Servetus   Session 0: Severian Servetus EmptySun Nov 11, 2018 12:42 am

She smiles, a tight lipped affair that didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Well, your apologies are appreciated, but you misunderstand. I am not concerned about the inconvenience. I am worried that you don't seem to be able to act discretely. As such, I do have a task that is suited to test your abilities in this regard."

She slides a sheet of paper across the table.

"We're concerned about the state of affairs on this planet. Guchov. We have no current evidence to suggest anything is happening on Guchov, but there has been an increase in cult activity across the sector. Guchov might be next. You are hereby ordered to infiltrate the lower hive of Povana. Your task is observe, obtain information and prepare to assist our forces in the event of cult activity. You will not attempt to resolve the issue yourself. You will have minimal support or contact with our forces. Any questions?"
Back to top Go down
Mighty Jim

PostSubject: Re: Session 0: Severian Servetus   Session 0: Severian Servetus EmptyTue Nov 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Taking the sheet of paper, Severian begins: "Of course, Inquisitor. Observe, obtain, prepare. I understand entirely. Chaos claims the unwary and all that. I will attend to it personally, and pass unnoticed among the hivers. Has an ident been prepared for me for this operation? Or shall I improvise?"

"And can you tell me anything about the cult activity? If memory serves, some of the systems out that way had fallen in with the Akkadian schismatics or some other lesser heresy."
Back to top Go down
Theoretical

Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: Session 0: Severian Servetus   Session 0: Severian Servetus EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 12:31 am

"Good. Unfortunately, we have no professional contacts in the lower hive, so you will have to  improvise. We'll get you on planet and into the hive, but from there, you're on your own. There is someone who might help, not one of ours, but someone known for taking in the lost and disposed, but that will be your choice.” She gestures towards the paper Severian had taken. “In terms of cult activity, I cannot provide much information. While we have had some ... lesser heresies, as you put it, the breadth of cults  is quite perplexing. Be prepared for anything. Now, Adept Brandt will see you on your way."

She stands and turns away from you, seemingly in thought as she lightly brushes her fingers along a shelf containing numerous data slates. A bookish man waits, unannounced, by the door. Presumably, Adept Brandt. A situation that seems to indicate that Severian has been dismissed.

Note: Feel free to continue if this scene if you wish. If you feel that you have gathered everything you want, start in the next scene below.
----------

Severian stood at the prow of a large ship. Not a voidcraft, but a boat. A boat full of cargo. Foodstuffs, raw minerals, construction materials, all packaged and thoroughly secure in large cargo boxes. This boat, one of the many that travelled Guchov’s equatorial sea, was crunching through the sheet ice leading up to Povana’s cargo port. Or at least, that’s what Severian had been told once he had found a crew member actually willing to talk to him. The majority of the cargo haulers were taciturn and dour, and not particularly open to outsiders, a very different situation to Severian’s earlier part of the trip. Travelling to the planet, Severian had been quartered with the crew of an Imperial Transport, and had found them excellent company. With his quick wit and good looks, Severian had made a good impression, and the crew had welcomed him into their ranks without much questioning. While these Cargo Haulers hadn’t asked any questions either, they didn’t say much at all.

A jerk broke Severian out of his thoughts, the boat bumping against the pier. Cargo cranes and yelling workmen covered the docks, a chaotic mess of industry and labour. Looking around, no one seemed to be paying any him any attention.[/color]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Session 0: Severian Servetus   Session 0: Severian Servetus Empty

Back to top Go down

Session 0: Severian Servetus
Page 1 of 1