A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

MorbidDon's Updated Fate Point Rules

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

MorbidDon's Updated Fate Point Rules Empty
PostSubject: MorbidDon's Updated Fate Point Rules   MorbidDon's Updated Fate Point Rules EmptySat Jul 07, 2018 11:06 am

I found these on the old FFG Dark Heresy forums. These are user MorbidDon's house rules for Fate Points. Some of the uses look really cool. What do you guys think?

Fate Point House Rules

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: MorbidDon's Updated Fate Point Rules   MorbidDon's Updated Fate Point Rules EmptySat Jul 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Reading through it briefly, I am loving the expanded uses of Fate. Specifically, I think "Second Wind," "Luck," and "Inspiration" are a nice change of pace and in-line with some other RPGs.

Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin
Sylphilis

PostSubject: Re: MorbidDon's Updated Fate Point Rules   MorbidDon's Updated Fate Point Rules EmptySat Jul 07, 2018 1:00 pm

These are interesting to say the least.
But seeing as how W&G is around the corner, is utilizing a new mechanic going to be all that necessary?

I mean Draco will use the current system as they are too far along to start over, unless you guys really wanted too?

The rest of the games I cant speak for, but the entrenched ones (OW, RT?) will have a harder time for the same reasons.
The second wing is pretty powerful seeing as you get ALL those benefits for a single point.

But, as a counter, many of those FP abilities are also covered by Talents.
DW has squad/solo modes that replicate guard
foresight, and wisdom of the ancients sounds a lot like the inspiration use. And wisdom requires a FP as well if I recall correctly.
Im not sure how Luck would play out. Seems intense.

I kinda like the FP reward for setbacks, but its a teeter toter. It gives the GM a reward system for PC's actually playing their flaws, (other than XP which is the current system). Which can be hard to come by currently.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: MorbidDon's Updated Fate Point Rules   MorbidDon's Updated Fate Point Rules EmptySat Jul 07, 2018 5:00 pm

Sylphilis wrote:
These are interesting to say the least.
But seeing as how W&G is around the corner, is utilizing a new mechanic going to be all that necessary?

I mean Draco will use the current system as they are too far along to start over, unless you guys really wanted too?

Wrath and Glory is around the corner, but we don't yet know if it is going to be great or even good yet. Hopes are high, but even if it was the best thing since sliced bread would that make obsolete the systems we have put so much time into? Do people not play DnD 3.5 anymore that DnD 5 is out? I think it is going to take a lot of playtesting before we can safely say that W&G is the definitive new game system. During that time we will still be using FFG RPG rules. I don't plan on converting Bastards or Shadow Wolves anytime soon.

On that note, this is not a new mechanic. These are additional rules for an already existing mechanic.

Quote :
The second wing is pretty powerful seeing as you get ALL those benefits for a single point.

Yeah, but I don't see it as being too powerful for a single fate point. In fact, I saw it as incentive to use FPs more often - something players rarely do I have noticed. A higher incentive to use FPs means that later in the game those players may not have FPs to spend, making everything more tense and exciting. Furthermore, more powerful FPs gives GMs opportunity for more dangerous encounters. At least, that was my perspective on it.

Quote :
But, as a counter, many of those FP abilities are also covered by Talents. DW has squad/solo modes that replicate guard foresight, and wisdom of the ancients sounds a lot like the inspiration use. And wisdom requires a FP as well if I recall correctly. Im not sure how Luck would play out. Seems intense.

Again, this was in the Dark Heresy forums. I don't think the author had Deathwatch in mind. Deathwatch is already an ultra-version of a standard FFG RPG, so maybe these won't transfer as well there? Personally, I love the idea of Luck. How many times have players needed a clue or been stuck and either didn't take the initiative to think outside of the box with their own skills or simply got lazy and didn't pursue another course of action?

Again, here is more incentive to use FPs, making them scarcer by laws of supply and demand as well as a way to push the story forward and allow the player to do some of the GMs work in the process.

Quote :
I kinda like the FP reward for setbacks, but its a teeter toter. It gives the GM a reward system for PC's actually playing their flaws, (other than XP which is the current system). Which can be hard to come by currently.

Agreed.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MorbidDon's Updated Fate Point Rules   MorbidDon's Updated Fate Point Rules Empty

Back to top Go down

MorbidDon's Updated Fate Point Rules
Page 1 of 1