A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sophia Chen - The Divine

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NightingaleJ

NightingaleJ

Sophia Chen - The Divine Empty
PostSubject: Sophia Chen - The Divine   Sophia Chen - The Divine EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 6:45 pm

SOPHIA CHEN [SHE/HER] 28y 5'2
Playbook:  The Divine  color=#3399ff][/color
Looks: Woman, Blazing eyes, Casual Clothes

Sophia Chen - The Divine Mulan_by_demong3_dcljb9v-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MTAxMSIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzZiZDBlYjA0LTY2YzgtNGJkYi1iMmViLTIwMjU2ZDhlOWE3YVwvZGNsamI5di1mMzE1Yjg0OS1jZjJlLTQ0N2MtOGJhZC05MzY5OGMyYWVmYTIuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTgwMCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19

STATS
Charm: -1
Cool: +2
Sharp: -1
Tough: +2
Weird: 0

STATUS
LUCK
Okay [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] Doomed

HARM
Okay [ ] [ ] [ ] / [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] Dying
Unstable [ ]

MOVES
- Boss from Beyond:  At the beginning of each mystery, roll +Weird.
On a 10+, your Superiors ask you to do something simple.
On a 7-9, they ask you to do something complicated or difficult.
In either case, you get to ask them one of the questions from the investigate a mystery move right now.

On a miss, you are required to do something terrible. If you do not accomplish what they’ve ordered, you cannot use this move again until you have made up
for your failure.

- What I Need, When I Need It: : You may store any small object you own, putting it into a magical space nobody can get to. You may retrieve anything you stored at any time; it appears in your hand.

- Smite: Your body and divine weapon always count as a weakness against the monsters you fight. Your unarmed attacks are 2-harm intimate hand messy.

- Soothe: When you talk to someone for a few seconds in a quiet voice, you can calm them down, blocking any panic, anger, or other negative emotions they have. This works even if the thing that freaked them out is still present, as long as your voice can be heard.

(PLAYBOOK-SPECIFIC SCHTICK)
Mission
You have been put on Earth for a purpose. Pick one:
[x ] You are here to fight the schemes of an Adversary: The Phoenix clan, demonic-like firebirds that enjoy creating chaos and playing dice with human lives.

GEAR
- Phoenix Killer,  Thunder spear (3-harm hand stun holy)
- You also get divine armour (1-armour holy). It has a look suited to your divine origin.

HISTORY
- PC Name: Description
- PC Name: Description

IMPROVEMENTS

XP: 0/5
[ ] Get +1 Tough, max +3
[ ] Get +1 Cool, max +2
[ ] Get +1 Charm, max +2
[ ] Get +1 Sharp, max +2
[ ] Get +1 Weird, max +2
[X] Take another Divine move
[ ] Take another Divine move
[ ] Gain a lesser divine being as an ally, sent from above to help with your mission.
[ ] Take a move from another playbook
[ ] Take a move from another playbook

//after 5 advances, you can choose these too//
[ ] Get +1 to any rating, max +3.
[ ] Change this hunter to a new type.
[ ] Create a second hunter to play as well as this one.
[ ] Mark two of the basic moves as advanced.
[ ] Mark another two of the basic moves as advanced.
[ ] Retire this hunter to safety.
[ ] Erase one used Luck mark from your playbook.
[ ] Change your mission. Select a different mission from the normal options, or (with the Keeper’s agreement) a new mission of your creation.

BACKGROUND
Sophia comes from a long line of monster hunters that have a guardian spirit guiding them in the form of a dragon. Legend says that her ancestor, about to die on the battlefield, prayed to be saved and the dragon Long Wang answered. They would save them but in exchange, her ancestor and their bloodline would have to help them hunt down their mortal enemies. The Phoenix clan, demonic-like firebirds that enjoy creating chaos and playing dice with human lives.

Blunt, brave, collected. Can't stay still too long, always has to be doing something.

Last edited by NightingaleJ on Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:38 am; edited 22 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://linktr.ee/gamedevadventurer
moarhair

moarhair

PostSubject: Re: Sophia Chen - The Divine   Sophia Chen - The Divine EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 8:57 am

I have a few questions:

1. How does your Boss from beyond communicate with you?

2. This guardian spirit, is it a lesser servant of Long Wang? An aspect of him? Is it always with you?
Since one of the improvements for The Divine is getting a lesser divine ally, I would rule that your guardian spirit can't do anything independently and doesn't have any powers of its own until you take that improvement. It can, however, be some of your existing  powers. Like, maybe he can materialize to become your spear or armor...

3. Isn't a Flame weapon kind of weird as an anti-Phoenix weapon? Fire is kind of their thing and Long Wang is the god of Storms and Oceans according to his mythology. Wouldn't Thunder or something make more sense?
Back to top Go down
NightingaleJ

NightingaleJ

PostSubject: Re: Sophia Chen - The Divine   Sophia Chen - The Divine EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 11:19 am

moarhair wrote:
1. How does your Boss from beyond communicate with you?
Spiritual communication, imagine Yoda telling Luke to use the force. I imagine Sophia meditating/praying in some way when she wants to commune with them but Long wang can tell her stuff during an emergency.

moarhair wrote:
2. This guardian spirit, is it a lesser servant of Long Wang? An aspect of him? Is it always with you?
Since one of the improvements for The Divine is getting a lesser divine ally, I would rule that your guardian spirit can't do anything independently and doesn't have any powers of its own until you take that improvement. It can, however, be some of your existing  powers. Like, maybe he can materialize to become your spear or armor...
The guardian spirit is Long Wang, I didn't expect them to do anything other than be the source of my power really, at least at first or without having a move that tells otherwise. Haven't read all the moves and advancements yet.
On the lesser divine, I don't think that will be Long Wang but don't want to make a decision on something that hadn't happened yet. What seemed interesting to me was that they could have their own agenda and create conflict for Sophia, so I would like them to be independent in the sense that they have their own plans and be working on moving them forward. (not in a sense that they will be material and do something I tell them to do like a hunting pet in blades.)

If it helps my character concept is basically Mulan, Long Wang is a spirit that protects the family by channeling some of his essence into them in exchange that they help them further their agenda, of which they may no know fully.

moarhair wrote:
3. Isn't a Flame weapon kind of weird as an anti-Phoenix weapon? Fire is kind of their thing and Long Wang is the god of Storms and Oceans according to his mythology. Wouldn't Thunder or something make more sense?
I didn't want a hammer and I originally thought of him as a fire dragon, just chose Long Wang because I knew him as a king of dragons and the name sounded cool enough. We can make it thunder, should i modified the tags and use the one from the hammer? I imagine it could still be a spear, right?
Back to top Go down
moarhair

moarhair

PostSubject: Re: Sophia Chen - The Divine   Sophia Chen - The Divine EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 11:35 am

NightingaleJ wrote:
moarhair wrote:
I didn't want a hammer and I originally thought of him as a fire dragon, just chose Long Wang because I knew him as a king of dragons and the name sounded cool enough. We can make it thunder, should i modified the tags and use the one from the hammer? I imagine it could still be a spear, right?

You don't have to change it if you don't want to, it just seemed a bit strange to me to have a fire weapon to fight fire creatures. If you do decide to change it for the Thunder Hammer's tags, it can still be a Spear, that's fine by me.
Back to top Go down
NightingaleJ

NightingaleJ

PostSubject: Re: Sophia Chen - The Divine   Sophia Chen - The Divine EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 1:34 pm

Edited to use thunder hammer tags

Jay: And also will be more fun to describe (striking like lightning, the crack of thunder as it strikes, etc)
Back to top Go down
NightingaleJ

NightingaleJ

PostSubject: Re: Sophia Chen - The Divine   Sophia Chen - The Divine EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 2:16 pm

The team knows:
-She comes from a hunter's family and that she is the only one alive.
-Her guardian spirit (they/them) is a dragon but not their name, she refers to them as Liz, you don't know where the nickname comes from.
-Liz shows being not amused by the nickname but secretly loves it.
-She is a master spear wielder and can harness the power of lightning/thunder.
-Her family has been in a constant battle against the Phoenix Clan, but you don't know why.
Back to top Go down
NightingaleJ

NightingaleJ

PostSubject: Re: Sophia Chen - The Divine   Sophia Chen - The Divine EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 1:01 pm

Mathew: Their prayer (perhaps an informal or even unconscious prayer) summoned you.

Mangas: They saved your life, and you understand (intellectually at least) that you owe them for it.

Jay: so, you fought together against the odds and prevailed. Mangas saved Sophia's life.
Were these the same event or separate ones? What happened? What did you fight against and how were the odds against you? Who or what almost killed Sophia?

Nightingale: I feel it works that this is the same event, it could be a creature from the forest maybe? Some kind of human eating demon comes to mind. As for odds, maybe Sophia got hurt, broke her leg or something and she needed Mangas to be the brown? just ideas, what do you have in mind @Thelonius ?

Thelonius: I picked this specifically because it fits so nicely with your pick, so also vote for one event.
Maybe she was hunting a warg, followed it to a clearing in the forest and got close enough to fight it,only to realise it was part of a pack. Mangas had hunted two other wargs of the pack and it came to a showdown were Sophia was almost encircled by the pack with no way out and Mangas stormed onto the clearing towards them. Some wargs fled and together they managed to fight off the rest.

Eshe: They’re the person you go to for advice on mortal stuff (e.g sex, food, drugs, television, etc).
Jay: what were you both hunting? How did you get in each other's way? How did you make peace?

Nightingale: I imagine I thought it was a demon from the phoenix clan and you thought it was one of this creatures that told you about being the choose one? I wanted to kill it on first sight and you had questions for them maybe? And then we discovered it was a completely different creature, could be a shape shifter of some kind or a fae?
Just ideas too, what do you have in mind @Another AKA ?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sophia Chen - The Divine   Sophia Chen - The Divine Empty

Back to top Go down

Sophia Chen - The Divine
Page 1 of 1