A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[Only War] Regiment as a character

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gurkhal
Senpai

[Only War] Regiment as a character Empty
PostSubject: [Only War] Regiment as a character   [Only War] Regiment as a character EmptyTue Aug 02, 2022 10:55 am

This is an idea I've had for a long time and which I have boiled down to a first version.

The idea is that due to the high turnover of characters in most Only War campaigns I decided to make the regiment a character to provide a kind solid basis for the game that won't be horrible killed in two seasons from its creation. As well as to allow for Mass Combat and collective tests, for example how well the regiment can camoflage its positions or how a company can use stealth to approach an enemy position for a suprise attack.

My hope is to be able to expand on this with additional features and such in the future, but right now I'm looking for a solid foundation for the idea.

Comments and feeback are very much appreciated.

[Only War] Regiment as a character Warhammer-40k-astra-militarum-imperial-guard-commissar-points-the-charge

Regiment as a Character

Starting Skills and Talents

All Skills and Talents that a new character gains extra from the regiment is considered to be had by said regiment for its own rolls as well. If the regiment buys new Skills or Talents then these also become added to characters from said regiment.

Apitudes

All characterstics bonuse that characters claim from a homeworld or origin becomes Appitudes for the regiment. In addition the characteristics with a bonus in the type of the regiment is also translated into an Appitude. In addition the regiment can then pick a single Appitude which does not mirror a characteristic. Any option that gives the characters additional apitudes during regiment creation also gains such for the regiment.

These four apitudes are then used to calculate the costs for the regiment in buying characteristics, skills and talents for said regiment with Regimental XP.

Regiment Characteristics

All regiment start with 30 in all characteristics and then modified by the same modifiers that the characters have. Ogryn and Ratling Worlds use the average values for Ogryns and Ratlings instead of 30 as a base to all characteristics.

Regimental XP

The regiment gains XP according to the GM after the characters reach mission objectives.

Regiment XP are then used to buy Skills, Talents etc. for the regiment at the cost calculated by the regiment's aptitudes.

Mass Combat

If the regiment is called into a played-out mass action I recommend that the Hordes rules from Black Crusade are used and that the regiment has the same equipment as a standard guardsmen in the regiment would possess and sprinkled with the favored heavy weapons and potential vehicles added to the fray. And I would advice that the players takes turn to roll for the regiment as its "their" regiment after all and to make them more involved with it.
Back to top Go down

[Only War] Regiment as a character
Page 1 of 1