A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Solodice

PostSubject: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:02 pm

[Continued from the Messia thread.]

The Islands of The Ragged Helix are always thought of as the domain of the Pirate Princes. However the Ragged Helix is a large expanse of space and the outer asteroids are dominated by the asteroid-smithies. One in particular is Anvil. A large asteroid with vast complexes dotting its surfaces and others burrowed into it. It all belongs to Magos Ulta and he never fails to remind Weyland of that detail.

After Weylands arrival he was given all the tools and the space to create new Astartes. Or as Ethhart put it, "Magos Ulta wants us to begin work immediately. Even if it kills us."

Weyland had everything. The gene-seed, equipment, and a trusty assistant. He was however missing the final ingredient, aspirants. The one detail Magos Ulta did not think about but he quickly rectified that. For today countless slavers have brought their best stock and even those who have willingly volunteered to be selected.

They've all been assembled in a large atrium. A glass dome above looks out in the Vortex.

Etthart has already given Weyland the important details. There are four major slavers who've brought in what they believe to be the best candidates. All meet the criteria. All are adolescents or young adults and are male.

Slaver: Belrock. Candidates: All hail from planet Mammon. All are true and stalwart believers in the God-Emperor even though on their planet the others they kill are also believers. They are all excellent warriors.

Slaver: The Countess. Candidates: All hail from the planet Xurunt. Bloodthirsty warriors who worship a god akin to Khorne (who they probably worship).

Slaver: Ivanist. Candidates: All hail from the planet Melancholia. A fresh stock or that's what Ivanist says. They're a dull and dreary group.

Slaver: Gul. Candidates: From an Imperial feral planet.

Then their are two groups of volunteers. One group are the Talax from the War Moons and the other are young members from a warband.

[How you want to handle this is up to you. Have fun!]

[Welyand has the ability to create 20 Astartes. 7 gene seeds that he procured from Messia and 13 more that were in Magos Ulta's possession.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:20 am

Weyland takes a moment to inspect and examine each group in vivid detail. He takes as much time as necessary to assess the groups' collective mentalities, strengths, and weaknesses. While the others may not know it, he was creating Death Guard here, and his recruits would exemplify what it meant to be such chosen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Weyland assembles a mental pros and cons list from his observations.

Mammon
Pros: Resilient, warrior spirit, devoted*
Cons: Devotion to the God-Emperor is incredibly strong.

Xurunt
Pros: Merciless, warrior spirit, blood-thirsty, devoted*
Cons: A culture deeply ingrained in the worship of Khorne.

Melancholia
Pros: Incredibly resilient (nothing seems to bother them)
Cons: Docile, no drive, no warrior spirit

Imperial Feral World
Pros: Resilient, crafty hunters and survivalists, warriors spirit
Cons: Resist command and orders, untrained, undisciplined

Talax
Pros: Resilient, warrior spirit, trained, disciplined, resourceful
Cons: A culture built around the worship of Khorne

Warband Members

Pros: Merciless, resourceful, trained
Cons: Lack discipline, thieves and criminals, no warrior spirit

Etthart Common Lore (Screaming Vortex): 6 (all the DoS)

Etthart grabs Weyland's attention, "The ones from Melancholia. They might look docile at this moment in time. However, if I've remembered correctly them being docile is only held in check when on Melancholia. Those removed from the planet start to reach out and seek ever new experiences. More extreme then the last."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:11 am

A slight smile stitched across Weyland's face. Etthart had confirmed his thoughts - almost as though he were inside of his head - once again proving his worth.

"I agree fully. They will be my first generation and the Grandfather shall bless them so." My children; my Death Guard. How long had it been since the formidable Plague Doctor had had the chance to spawn a new generation of his beloved legion? Ten years? Twenty? Half a century? The time ebbed by as he stalked the stars in his isolation, looking for his prize. These Marines would aid in that search. On paper, they would be loyal to whomever they were sold to, but the germs soaking their geneseed even know would assure their true loyalties.

Loyalty to the Plague Doctor Creator, to the Legion Eternal, and to the Grandfather All Powerful.

He walked back in large, slow steps to the vox array and spoke to the slavers. "Melancholia will receive the blessings."

He was eager to begin his work.
Back to top Go down
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Ivanist smiles at the selection of his stock. The other slavers bow their heads and take their stock and leave. The Talax and the Warband members don't disperse though.

"We won't leave until you pit us in a trial. How can one make a choice if he's never seen what the group can do!" A young Talax boy says.

One of the warband boys points to the ones from Melancholia, "We'll see who gets the blessings then... weaklings!"

Ivanist shakes his head, "You're all foolhardy. Already going against the wishes of the Death Guard. He wants nothing to do with your insubordinate asses."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Weyland regarded the foolhardy, bloodthirsty groups. They were eager to fight, didn’t know their place, and showed open defiance to a veteran of the long war. The last could not be tolerated. But there was always a lessons to teach and a lesson to be learned.

“Those of you wishing a challenge shall have it. Your group against yours,” he said gesturing to the Warband and the Talax.

“Whichever group survives will gain my attention.”

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:22 pm

The Talax don't even wait to be told to start fighting. They descend onto the warband in mass. The attack catches the warband off guard and they lose a few of their members but they respond with devastating effects. In the end it's the disciplined nature of the Talax that wins them the trial letting the warband members ware themselves down until they were easy pickings. Only 8 Talax remain living.

Their bloody leader then points to the Melancholia boys, "Do we get to slaughter the sheep now?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:49 pm

Weyland looks to Etthart for a few seconds. "Apparently a demonstration is necessary. Children never learn."

He walked into the staging area where the warband lie dead and the Talax, much fewer in number now stood. He looked to those from Melancholia - his chosen. At no point during the "challenge" did his original opinion falter. Let the berserkers, Khornite hot heads, destroy one another. Even as he entered, he saw that hot rage and defiance begin to fade away as his massive armored frame engulfed the entirety of the space.

He stood motionless for a few seconds, taking them all in. Whelps.

"No." The word wheezed out like molten steel. With patience, he took off his helmet and stared at them with his horrendous face, the mark of Nurgle upon his forehead bleeding puss down around his sickly, intelligent eyes. He clipped the helmet to his belt. With the same patience, he drew his plague blade.

"My word was final and you should have heeded it."

With that, he lunged for the leader.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:08 pm

Weyland buries his plague knife into the Talax leaders chest. The boy crumbles over Weyland's blade and the others look on at the true horror that is Weyland. It's a mad dash to flee as quickly as possible.

Weyland is now left all alone expect for his new subjects, Etthart, and Ivanist. Etthart deals with Ivanist paying the slaver his due and leaving Weyland with the boys from Melancholia. Today they would begin to take the steps in becoming Astartes.

+++++++++++++++++++++

The technology and the ability of the Dark Mechanicus rivals and even surpasses that of the Mechanicus is certain areas. When someone unshackles themselves from the strict nature of the Mechanicus and is free to experiment in ways deemed heretical you can expand your knowledge exponentially. However, some things can not be rushed like the making of an Astartes. It will be a long journey for the new Death Guard aspirants. They're in good hands though with Weyland, Etthart, and an extensive support staff thanks to Magos Ulta.

Magos Ulta has not wasted anytime in spreading the news that he has a batch of Astartes for sale. A batch that will have complete loyalty to which ever warlord can acquire them. The Chaos Space Marines of the Screaming Vortex and beyond are a great boon for any warlord but it comes at a risk. They are beings of immense power and their loyalties do not always lie solely to a warlord's goals. What Magos Ulta has promised has caused emissaries from Warlords far and wide to flock to Anvil. For today is the day of the auction on who will get Weyland's Death Guards. None seem to care that the aspirants and their process of becoming Astartes will take another four to five years to complete.

Today, Weyland stands in the center of Anvil. A great hollow chamber in the middle of the asteroid. Magos Ulta has decided to kick off the auction with a party before the initial betting would begin. The more socially inclined emissaries and entourage members are enjoying themselves immensely. A few others don't seem interested in the festivities and just want to get straight to business.

Etthart is not at Weyland's side today. He's back at the lab doing work. Weyland would like to be their as well but Magos Ulta insisted that his chief doctor of the Astartes project come and mingle.

From listening to others Weyland has built an incomplete list of important or interesting individuals here:

Kranak, Khorne Berzerker: The emissary for Captain Korgin, The World-Reaver. The party is definitely not to his liking and he looks like he'll kill everyone in the room to get the auction started and he probably could.

Maxims, Psyker: The emissary of Soloria Half-Blind. A lithe man but don't let his lack of physical ability fool you. His power lies in his mind and his connection to the warp. The party to him is probably just a puzzle to be solved.

Niklay, Pirate Princess: The emissary of Korick, The Blue Devil. She's a charming swashbuckler. She's having a grand time at the party as she works the crowd and weasels herself into other conversations.

Viroid, Plaguemister: The emissary of Vorxec Calvarious. A fellow follower of Nurgle from the markings on his clothing and his sickly appearance but high energy. He's not one for talking but he does help himself to the unending food and alcohol.

Fimolov, Warpsmith: A lone figure with no direct connection to any known warlord in the Vortex. He must be here on his own or some new aspiring warlord has acquired his services. The markings on his armor announce him as a member of the Iron Warriors.

Last edited by Solodice on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:17 am

Weyland did not enjoy being away from the lab and his work, but understood the importance of the long-game. The warriors needed a suitable warlord - someone who would see them best utilized to spread the news of the Grandfather. There was an obvious choice of course, and Weyland immediately noted him. But another piqued his interest.

He made his way to the Iron Warrior and nodded his head. "Iron Within," he said. The mantra of the IVth Legion of which he remembered well.
Back to top Go down
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:53 pm

The Warpsmith turns his chromed skull shaped helmet in Weyland's direction. Its lower jaw is slightly unhinged making it appear in mid-laugh.

"Iron Without," he says finishing the mantra, "You must be Weyland. News of your products has spread around the vortex like a plague." Fimolov can't help but laugh at his own joke, "I am Fimolov hailing from the Heterodact Array." He takes in the chamber around him, "What Magos Ulta has here is quite impressive. However, this party is unnecessary and a waste of time. Odd for a Heretek to be interested in something so... social."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Weyland smiled at the quip horrifically. "It is good to have one's work noticed. It is an odd event now that you mention it. Though, I wouldn't assume the the Magos is as interested in this event as he is interested in what may come of it. No doubt, this is a machination in a much larger series of events."

Weyland looked around the party, bloodshot eyes settling on the follower of Nurgle before coming back to Fimolov.

"There is an obvious choice of whom to bestow my children. But I have found that the obvious choice is not always the best choice. Tell me, what use would an Iron Hand Warpsmith have with my particular Astartes brood?"
Back to top Go down
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Iron and Metal wrote:
Weyland smiled at the quip horrifically. "There is an obvious choice of whom to bestow my children. But I have found that the obvious choice is not always the best choice. Tell me, what use would an Iron Hand Warpsmith have with my particular Astartes brood?"

The chromed laughing skulls turns toward Weyland, "Everything and anything." Fimolov turns his head away from the Plague Marine. "You and I are not so different, Weyland. We both create. My creations are ones of flesh, metal, and sometimes the powers of the warp. Your's are flesh with the blessings of Nurgle. Neither is easy to create and take more time then one would think. However, something about an Astartes is different. We should know."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:16 pm

Weyland nodded slowly. Meticulously. The Astartes were different; they were better. Demigods above mere mortals. With that in mind, they too could be killed and had to learn their place in the universe.

"I do not deny it. You would be a worthy leader of such profound creations. But alas, nothing is free. We too both understand that. What is it that you are offering the Magos for my children?"
Back to top Go down
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:30 am

Before Fimolov can respond to Weyland the two are interrupted by a cherub.

It whispers into Weyland's ear, "Ethhart needs to speak to you immediately." The cherub then tugs on Weyland's collar and the Plague Marine lets the twisted being guide him over to a vox box.

Wayland activates it and Ethhart comes whispering through, "Weyland, we have a problem. A serious problem down here in the lab. Something is down here and it's going after your brood one by one. It's already gotten five of them. I've been able to contain it but I don't know for how long."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:22 am

Weyland grimaced, feeling the puss ooze from his mark of Nurgle on his forehead down and around his eyes. This was unexpected to say the least. He cast his glances around the room, trying to see if there was a tell from anyone - anything to give away someone with something to hide...

[Scrutiny Untrained <25; rolled 11/2 DoS (if Awareness 5 DoS) http://orokos.com/roll/591059]
Back to top Go down
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 pm

None here at the party have anything to hide from what Weyland's intuition is telling him. That or whoever is behind the plan is someone who can blend in easily and not give themselves away. There are many of those trained in those skills in the room though.

Etthart's voice comes crackling back over the vox box, "Weyland, it's trying to break containment. I don't know if the servitors down here can handle it."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:17 pm

“Warpsmith, accompany me please,” Weyland called back. He locked eyes with the disciple of Nurgle.

“You too, if you’d be so kind, cousin.”

He responded to Etthart, “On my way now. Do not let it escape containment.”

He didn’t wait to see if the others followed; he made haste to his lab.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:39 pm

Welyand can hear the heavy footsteps of Fimolov following behind him.

The two Astartes come up to the lab entrance and everything is locked down Etthart up the blast door covering the entrance and the two of them move towards the main room.

[Basic layout of the lab is like an onion. At the center is the main room that is connected to a long hall that leads to the only entrance. Around it is a series of rings. There's rooms that branch off from each ring. In each ring there's a room where 5 subjects are going through changes to become Astartes.]

The Heretek is manning one of the computers in the main room.

"Just in time. I don't know how the assailant made it in but I have it locked down in ring 3. I've been trying to herd it but it's sliced through every servitor it's come across. I think it's trying to find access into ring 2."

Etthart plays back a pict recording. A gaunt spindly figure in ragged robes quickly dispatches a group of servitors with inhuman speed. It's hard to see what it is on the pict recording as the figure itself is covered by some sort of distortion field.

Fimolov grunts, "Tech-assassin."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:42 pm

"Let's see if we can dissuade it. You seem to be acquainted with its ilk - what are its strengths and weaknesses?"

Weyland readied his bolter and made his way to the door. He was eager to see what the Warpsmith could do.
Back to top Go down
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Weyland sure doesn't know anything about this new combatant. Lucky for him Fimolov is very acquainted with its kind.

"Strengths: Speed, stealth, regeneration, close combat, and hard to hit thanks to its quantum field. Weaknesses: There's only one of them here."

The warpsmith looks at Etthart, "Heretek, do you have any additional weapons here?"

Etthart responds by pressing a button and a section of the ceiling comes down. A weapons locker.

[Inside the weapons locker: Weyland's Bolter (if he didn't take it to the party), 2 other Bolters, 3 Astartes Shotguns, 2 Flamers, 2 Chainswords, and a assortment of ammo: Scourge Shells (Shotguns), Metal Storm Rounds (Bolter), Scatterscream Rounds (Shotguns), Regular Ammo (Shotguns and Bolters)]

Fimolov grabs a shotgun and some scourge shells [Weyland made them so what kind of disease is loaded into them? Pick one from Tome of Decay] and scatterscream rounds. Then from his body his mechadendrites unravel themselves [2 Dendrite Blades, 1 Mechatendrile, 1 Utility Mechadendrite, 1 Ballistic Mechadendrite (Inferno Pistol)]. Fimolov's collection of mechadendrites was just as impressive as Etthart's. What Etthart didn't have was the Servo-Arm that sprung forth from the warpsmith's back. It snaps its mandibles together like a wild animal. Fimolov was ready for battle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:42 pm

Weyland felt something crawl up his spine at his ignorance of the enemy.

Could it be excitement? How long has it been since I have felt that sensation?

He moved to the armory and took two spare magazines of ammunition. [If Metal Storm rounds serve a purpose here - like proving to be better at getting through a quantum field due to the amount o projectile, he will take those. If they serve no other purpose than killing hordes per RAW, he will stick with standard ammo.]

He nodded to the Warpsmith, taking in the information. "Regeneration? Perhaps direct damage isn't the best solution. Perhaps we use that regeneration against it. Toss this in first, let it deal with it, then assault." He reached down and tapped the blight grenade on his belt. If the Warpsmith understood what the weapon was, he would keep his distance when it deployed.

"Etthart, are all of the subjects in the current room it is in dead?"

Weyland craned his neck to one side and a horrendous series of wet cracks greeted the room. He shouldered his ancient bolter and awaited a reply.
Back to top Go down
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:25 pm

[Nah, Metal Storm rounds will help with the Quantum Field. Any weapon or ammunition that fires in a spread reduces the Quantum Fields -20 on BS to -10.]

Fimolov looks at the blight grenades, "If it's regeneration was more biological then mechanical those would work. Black Blood isn't biological so the effect of the blight grenades would be minimal."

Etthart checks a read out on his console, "Yes, those were the first five it came across. All were eviscerated." A warning light then comes on, "It's trying to breach into the next ring. I'm moving Servitors to intercept if it succeeds."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:03 pm

Weyland nodded once. His ignorance of this creature intrigued him; one way or another, his knowledge would increase after this fight. He would study whatever this was. He would find a way for it to serve the Father of Plagues.

"All can be made to serve Nurgle, but I will defer to your expertise in this fight. Take us in, Warpsmith Fimolov." He pushed in a fresh magazine of metal storm rounds and put his mind to the fight at hand.

"Etthart, seal the door behind us."

[Let's give Fimolov's shotgun ammo the "Enfeeble" disease from Tome of Decay]
Back to top Go down
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Fimolov takes point and leads Weyland in through the rings. As they approach the third ring they can hear metal being torn apart then it suddenly stops.

"I think it knows we're coming." Fimolov says pumping the shotgun.

They step up to a bulk head door that slides up. They both press in quickly guns up and ready. The door slams behind them and they're all alone.

Weyland and the Warpsmith stand in a warzone. Bits and pieces of servitors strewn all over the place. The more somber site for Weyland is his aspirants torn to pieces and bits of them hanging from their rigs.

Fimolov sweeps his shotgun down the corridor, "I've got nothing."

Weyland, looking down the other way, has nothing either.

[No combat yet. Seeing how Weyland wants to come at the Tech Assassin. As said the areas of the labs are rings.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   

Back to top Go down

Anvil (Islands of The Ragged Helix)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
A Community for Gamers, by Gamers :: Play-by-Post Gaming :: Vortex - Black Crusade Sandbox (Game Thread)-
Jump to: