A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carnelian
Senpai

PostSubject: Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau   Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:33 am

Sat a top a cargo container Tash’var worked methodically cleaning all 29 individual parts of her Pulse Carbine that were arrayed on a blanket in front of her while the bustle of the cargo hold went on around her. Each part was neatly arranged roughly equal distance apart from its neighbour, this was the third time she’d cleaned the rifle in the past week.

She sighed and looked up from her work to see if there was anything interesting going on in her battle group who occupied much of the cargo hold, although she already knew the answer to that. It was ‘no’. It wasn’t that she was bored, not at all, it was simply that she preferred to be on the field, or doing just about anything rather than sitting in this cargo hold for days on end.

Looking back down Tash’var picks up the carbines scope and begins to half heartily clean the already almost spotless piece of kit before raising it to her apricot coloured eyes. Looking down the scope Tash’var picked out the Farsight Enclave Shas’Ui, as he entered the bay, smiling slightly she moves the scopes crosshairs into the middle of Sammus’ forehead. Anything to break the monotonous day…
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau   Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:11 am

Previous Post Relating to Tau aboard the Pedro:

Sammus entered the Tau headquarters aboard The Pedro. His people had been industrious and adaptable, as was their nature. They had set up an impromptu, yet efficient, workshop and were maintaining their wargear with precision and skill. It was quite a thing to witness. There was a medical facility, communal sustenance area, and of course room to train. The cargo hold was definitely not lacking for space.

But are they still my people? The thought had nagged at him from time to time. Of course he was Tau. He was a fire warrior, born within the dominion of the empire to the far galactic east. That might all be the same thing to a gue'la, but where one was from within that empire meant a lot to the Tau. Especially if it was within the Farsight Enclaves.

Sammus remembered the legendary commander fondly. He had only laid eyes upon him a handful of times in person. He was but a squad-level commander and it was a rare honor indeed. But the mere sight of Shas'o Farsight boosted the morale of entire armies. Watching that rust red battlesuit and its iconic sword raised high had filled his heart with joy. Seeing The Eight - Shas'o's personal retinue of veteran battlesuits - in battle awed him as though he were a mere shas'la again. He pushed the thoughts aside and entered.

Immediately he stood apart. His armor, once the same red as Farsight's, had been repainted a purple so dark it appeared black. He removed his battle helm and attached it to his belt. Ra'va followed behind him, floating quietly as it scanned the room. It's optics changed from yellow to purple as it projected its avatar out in front of it. The eccentric drone personified as a young tau female began eagerly waving to different tau as though seeing old friends after a long period. Most were used to it and waved back or laughed.

Sammus had long become acquainted to the drones unique personality and ignored it.

Earth Caste technician, and head of the armory, Fio'vre Da'rio Vior'la Kauis - more simply known as "Dario" - eagerly greeted him. Quietly, they began to talk while Ra'va floated to and fro.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Carnelian
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau   Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:43 am

Tash’var pans the scope to the left so she can get a good view of Ra’va the drone as it projected its ‘avatar’ which smiled and waved to anyone who glanced its way. It was almost childlike she thought as a smile played across her lips and she was taken back to simpler times when she herself was a child, before joining her caste proper. While in her reverie the scopes HUD glitches and flickers for a moment before stabilising, frowning Tash’var studies the scope for a moment turning it over in her hands looking for damage before returning it to her eye. There was a slight flicker to the HUD now, which brightened her day considerably. The battle group had been told where possible to not converse with the renegade Tau and this at least gave her an opportunity to at eavesdrop.

First things first she thought as she closed her eyes and started to rebuild her carbine piece by piece, she was methodical, concerned more with getting it right first time than for speed. The latter improved with practice after all. Clicking the last piece in place Tash’var opens her eyes once more before pulling the stock tightly into her shoulder and looking down the scope. The flicker was still there, a good excuse.

Gracefully standing from her cross-legged position Tash'var drops lightly to the floor of the cargo bay, the lightweight recon armour making no noise as she lands from the 7' drop. All of the battlegroup were combat ready as they were on a Imperial vessel but they were allowed to go unmasked, so with her dark red helm clipped to her belt she makes a b-line to Dario so he could fix or replace the faulty scope and waits quietly nearby listening into their conversation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau   Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:01 pm

++Timeline: Somewhere between the mission where we fought the Ebon Geist and before encountering Modren's Realm++
Somewhere Around Post #126

The Earth-Caste engineer bowed as Sammus and Ra'va approached. "Greetings, Shas'ui. I trust that your equipment has held up well in the field." Da'rio wore a light tan jumpsuit with the sleeves pulled up to his elbows, exposing his dark blue skin. A pair of transparent lenses were pushed up onto his forehead as he addressed Sammus. When in use, they fed him real-time data on the various pieces of equipment around him while also aiding in any tasks at hand. His large yellow eyes lit up when he saw Ra'va.

"And how about her? How has Ra'va held up on your last outing?" He set down the components of a pulse pistol he had been tinkering with and moved to inspect the drone. The small computing unit nestled against his chest lit up with hologramic diagnostics as he quickly scanned Ra'va. "Ammunition count is low. My, my. You two had some fun, no?"

"Greetings, Fio'vre. There was some excitement, yes. That's actually what I was hear to speak with you about. The derelict gue'la vessel we boarded on our last outing had an issue with its reactor. I must admit, in my eagerness I acted rashly and caused a violent venting that, thankfully did not result in a loss of life. There were some damages to some of the crew with us. I would ask that you assist me in my understanding of gue'la tech. At the very least, what you know of its workings would help immensely so that I may not make such an error again."

"It is a fickle thing, gue'la technology. Thousands upon thousands of years old, yet immensely powerful. Pure, raw power. No finesse. That is their issue. And their engineers - religious zealots with limited understanding of the power they wield. It is so counter-intuitive, is it not? It is a wonder they continue to rule anything at all."

Sammus stood awkwardly, awaiting a response.

"Yes, of course I will work with you. Together maybe we can both learn something about the 'hyuu-manzu' and their secrets. Now, tell me how both you and Ra'va have come to be so low on ammunition."

Sammus then retold the story of their encounter with the Ebon Geist, giving particular detail to the creature's mysterious physiology. He mentioned, but gave little credit, to the fact that the human crew had sworn it had come from the Warp.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau   Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:37 pm

Tash'var listens intently to the conversation but quickly becomes disinterested as the Shas'ui talks about the gue'la tech. Why such a thing would be of interest she had no idea, Tau technology was clearly superior and vastly more refined, although from experience she'd at least say gue'la weaponry was destructive, but inefficient... she corrected herself

Talk of the Ebon Geist peaked her interest. Her battle group had a lot of experience fighting be'gel and on more than one occasion she'd seen the power of what the be'gel called 'weird boys' and she'd agree they were certainly 'weird'. The gossip was that they tapped into something called the warp or channeled it in some way, which was obviously ridiculous. Surely they were just natural abilities of some rare sub-race? Now she was hearing that the gue'la believed that creatures lived in such a place as the warp. She found it interesting that both races attributed strange occurrences to the warp.

Stepping forward she considered how she should greet the stranger, on one hand he has Shas'Ui but on the other he was a renegade of sorts. He carried himself well, a proud warrior, so she quickly decided to give him the honour he may deserve until he proved otherwise. "Forgive my intrusion Fio'vre, Shas'Ui, but I over heard your conversation and I'm curious as to this encounter with the thing the Shas'Ui called an Ebon Giest. I have heard that the be'gel also 'tap' into what the gue'la call the warp - don't you find it interesting that both races know of this... erm, thing?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau   Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:24 am

Ra'va rounded quickly on the new voice. Briefly its optics went from light purple to deep red. But it quickly reverted to purple upon registering the new comer as Tau. Sammus turned to regard the female pathfinder. Da'rio gave a brief greeting but quickly went back to working on the drone.

"You know of it as well. When the gue'la speak of 'the warp' they are actually referring to Vash'aun'an," replied Sammus using the tau word for the warp. "It is a very different understanding they have of it than we do. It no doubt comes from the fact that gue'la vessels use it differently than we do to achieve faster-than-light travel in the void. Though, I don't know of any specifics other than that."

At this Da'rio perked up. He spoke first to Sammus but then turned his attention to Tash'var. "Yes! Quite right, shas'ui. As you know, our ships latch onto the currents of the Vash'aun'an which then pull them and sling shot them to pre-arranged coordinates. Well that isn't the case for the gue'la. Their ships quite literally submerge themselves into it - travelling for days, weeks, or even months at a time. This allows them to cover vastly greater distances than we are currently capable of. However, it is much more dangerous. I have read reports of gue'la vessels going into the Vash'aun'an and never emerging again. Of course, imagination tends to run wild in these accounts..."

Sammus raised his brow. "I can only assume the bel'gel use the Vash'aun'an without any understanding of it whatsoever. Those 'weird boyz' that I have encountered acted as no more than tribalistic shaman, ignorant of their own horrifying abilities. Better to put them down without any further study."

Da'rio scoffed at this as though physically wounded. "Only through study can we learn from them. Come now, you know this. The Greater Good always comes first." Da'rio was technically of higher rank than Sammus as a Fio'vre. As such, he was within his rights to scold the veteran shas'ui. Sammus took it in stride, as a good student might listen to his teacher, and gave a slight bow of apology. Regardless of what the Greater Good dictated, in his heart he knew that the ork had no place in the galaxy. The sooner they were eradicated, the better.

+++I'll leave it open if Tash wants to get in on the ongoing convo+++
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau   Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:57 am

+++I wanted to get these badasses introduced as well+++

A quartet of tau sat in one corner of the former cargo area. Most humans had trouble distinguishing tau from one another, but if there were a human then and there, they would have had no difficulty whatsoever. It was as though these four had done everything possible to distinguish themselves from the others. In many ways, they had.

Armor as dark as Sammus' adorned them with dark, rust red markings on helmets and shoulder pads. Two of them had capes attached to their backs, the other sported the lighter reconnaissance armor variant. There was one female and three males. All of them spoke softly to one another, a unit apart from the rest. Incredibly, two of them were smoking the gue'la Lho sticks. Somewhere amid their travels they had picked up the habit. The others had two bowls of something hot and they ate steadily.

The female winked at Ra'va as it passed by and its optics shifted from purple to light pink - was it blushing? She put the lho back between her lips and inhaled deeply. Never once did she take her eyes off the rail-rifle she was cleaning or stop bantering with the others, her bonded brothers.

The other three interacted similarly. All wore heavy sheathed blades on their waists - a testament to their commitment to one another.

When Sammus entered they were the first to acknowledge him and vice versa.

These were the last of the Fire Warriors who ventures with him and Vehr'sek from the Farsight Enclaves.

These were The Bonded and they were a band apart.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau   Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Tash'var frowned at Da'rio, he had not faced the be'gel in combat. There was nothing to learn from such barbarians, there was no talking to them - they only wanted to fight and she was happy to oblige them with a swift death. She agreed with Sammus but biting her tongue she said nothing of it for now, although she dearly wished to tell Da'rio he was wrong, but it would be unseemly to do so in front of so many. Best to keep on the subject of the warp for now...

"Why do you think the be'gel and the gue'la are able to 'draw' upon the Vash'aun'an and we can not or at least choose not to? Properly harnessed by science for the Greater Good it could be of use to us?"

She was babbling not really focusing over on what she said, content to just not being bored cleaning her gun. As she spoke her gaze was drawn briefly to the Shas'ui companions and wrinkled her nose in disgust at their gue'la habits.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau   Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:57 am

Sammus considered the pathdfinder's query.

"This is a good question, one at which I have pondered on myself. We must first consider the Vash'aun'an itself. And what do we know of it?" He turned to Da'rio, putting the pressure on the Fio'vre to answer.

The smaller, stouter earth-caster thought for a moment. "Well, we know very little actually. It is an area of time and space that manipulates both. Some earth caste scientists have referred to it as 'another dimension' which makes sense. What I mean is, what is it that the Vash'aun'an does for us?"

The answer seemed obvious, but Sammus took the bait for Da'rio's sake. "It allows us to travel at faster-than-light speeds."

"Precisely!" Da'rio smiled warmly, if not a bit smugly. "An astrophysical impossibility. And yet, here we are. In that sense, the Vash'aun'an can be seen as something of an inter-dimensional passageway that we can access thanks to the Ether-Drives of the Kor'vattra (Tau Navy). Technology triumphant."

Sammus nodded. It was a thorough answer, exactly as he had expected. Nearby, Ra'va's avatar took on a quizzical look of confusion as it attempted to follow the conversation.

"I agree with the sentiment that it is another dimension, rather than the gue'la's backwards insistence that it is some form of a tormented religious 'hell.' This ebon geist that we encountered was unlike anything I had ever seen. Of all the species I have encountered, truly it was the most alien - as though it didn't belong in the same physical realm as us. And yet our pulse weapons destroyed it utterly. Technology triumphant. This leads us back to the Ork question; we manipulate this 'Warp' through the use of sophisticated technology, but some orks can channel it directly. As do some of the gue'la - some of which are on this ship even now. I do not know why the tau cannot do the same. Perhaps evolution has gifted us, forcing us to rely on technology and better ourselves in the process.
Perhaps one day we too will evolve to manipulate the ether as do the gue'la and the bel'gel. One thing I know for certain is that if we ever do, we will be much better prepared, much more knowledgeable, and much better adept at dealing with the consequences of such an evolutionary jump."

Truthfully, Sammus had no idea why the humans and orks were able to channel the warp directly. Evolutionary traits seemed the most logical answer. But he had seen the effects of the ork 'weirdboyz' in action and they were horrific at the best of times.

"Insightful." Da'rio was holding his chin and nodding.

"But I will leave the studying of them to the earth-caste and continue to do the hunting," he said with a loving pat on his pulse rifle.

"Less insightful." Da'rio sighed.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau   Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:15 am

Tash’vir perked up there it was at last, an ‘in’ to a conversation with the rebel about what she actually wanted to talk about instead of this frankly boring talk about the Vash'aun'an. It was becoming as dull as having to clean her carbine for the umpteenth time.

“Um, yes I agree most assuredly, we should talk about such things that are more relevant for our caste. So tell me Sammus, what exactly are you and your cadre hunting on this gue'la vessel? Would not prefer the company of those that follow the Greater Good?”

Despite her patience at waiting for an appropriate moment to divert the conversation she couldn't help but wince and smile at the same time at the bluntness of her query.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau   Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Sammus took a step back and leaned against Fio'vre Da'rio's workbench, much to the annoyance of the engineer. To his credit, he hid this annoyance very well. Sammus folded his arms and stared at the young tau female for a few moments with two big, yellow eyes. He ran a combat-gloved hand briefly over his head, feeling the absence of his top knot.

"I am hunting for the most elusive game in the galaxy, Pathfinder: Meaning. I assume that they are on the hunt for similar prey." He cast a glance over to the four remaining original tau to accompany him. The Bonded. They continued to talk, smoke, and fiddle with their gear amongst themselves. It was such an odd sight to see tau acting so abnormally. But they continued on as though they didn't care what anyone would say of them, because they didn't.

He smiled warmly at the second part of her question. Briefly, it reminded him of something one of his Fire Warrior's may have asked him back within the Farsight Enclaves. It made him miss command and he felt happy to be having this interchange.

"I do enjoy the company of those that understand the value of the Greater Good. But tell me this, is it easier to find a single tree in a forest or in a grassy meadow where it stands alone? My path on the Greater Good may be unorthodox, but there are eyes out here who have never seen it; ears that have never heard it; minds that have never comprehended it."

He left it at that, waiting to see what she would make of his philosophical take on his race's ethos.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau   Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:46 am

Tash’var folds her arms, she felt like she was being fobbed off, a slight scowl shows on her face “Your answers are evasive and ambiguous. You assume that the Gue'la are hunting something and so you’re tagging along?”

She then pauses and ponders Sammus’ philosophical question; It was one that’s she’d heard before, a favourite of many a Firecaste Shas-Ui, she wondered which Sammus was, the single tree or the forest. It was clear to Tash’var where the strength lay “While it is easy to find the single tree in the field as it stands alone, the trees in the wood shelter and protect each other so it does not matter that it takes longer to find.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau   Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:41 am

Sammus noted the disrespectful manner in which this un-blooded Pathfinder spoke to him.

Was it not she who initiated this conversation?

The younger generations always needed a few cycles to learn their place, so he brushed it off.

"Meaning, by definition, is ambiguous, correct. But you asked what I was hunting for and I have answered you. I am Shas'ui, pathfinder; I do not evade. I engage. Mine and the gue'la crew of this vessel have interwoven fates now - none of which is a concern of yours. Is it?" His face held the paternal look an instructor might have toward a cadet who stepped out of line.

He moved on. "True, the single tree does not have the additional protection that a forest may offer. But it can see its enemies much more clearly, and from farther away. It also mut understand itself as it is, and not as it is in relation to all of the others that surround and potentially suffocate its growth."

Behind them, Da'rio announced that Ra'va needed to stay in the workshop for proper cleaning and that Sammus' gear was good-to-go. The firewarrior veteran thanked him and turned to leave.

"It was a pleasure to meet you, Pathfinder Tash'var. Maybe we can speak on philosophy again sometime. For the Greater Good."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau   

Back to top Go down

Prologue - The Meeting of Two Tau
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
A Community for Gamers, by Gamers :: Play-by-Post Gaming :: Call of the Void - Rogue Trader (Game Thread)-
Jump to: