A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC Empty
PostSubject: Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC   Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC EmptyTue Nov 21, 2017 10:56 am

Valgard walked the cobbled paths of Parravon, his sweaty hand wiping the dirt of his travels on a letter he clutched closely. It had been more than a year since his brother had graced Valgard, more than a year since Valgard took the Slayer’s Oath. In that time what remained of his old squad and he had walked the grey mountains in search of a worthy and glorious death. So far, all had succeeded but himself. In search of someone to catalog his worthy death, Valgard put in no small effort to get word to his brother, the result of which had brought him to Parravon.

Looking at the paper one last time, Valgard made absolutely sure the tavern he stood before matched the name on the letter: The Broken Horn. With a sharp breath, he made his way inside.

Valgard didnt know how long it would be before his brother arrived, or even if he had already arrived, he only knew that the only proper way to end a long travel would be to sit down and relax the muscles with a good pint. After looking around and seeing no other dwarfs, Valgard sighed, made his way to the barkeep, and ordered two pints of dark ale and a large bowl of ‘something warm,’ which was how he came to realize the tavern was not known for its cooking. Still, Valgard ate, drank, and awaited his brother’s arrival.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC   Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC EmptyTue Nov 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Reginald looked up at the sign and sighed.

The Broken Horn.

Valgard was most likely already in there. It had taken him a bit longer than expected to part ways with those that remained of his former party. Coin and loot needed to be split, or the latter sold. Some had wanted to speak words for the dead or hark on memories of their adventures. Reginald had said his fill when they placed them into the ground. If they were lucky enough to be placed in the ground at all.

Memories of hasty withdrawals, of having to leave the dead where they lie, rushed at him. He closed his eyes and slowly they went away. Luckily, none of them had been his friends. He had learned that much after his first handful of fortnights out. Friends and acquaintances died the same, but only one hurt deeply.

He pushed all that away and opened the door.

+++

Valgard was easy enough to spot. The place was busy, but not so busy as to miss the large red mohawk planted on top of hundreds of pound of muscle and anger drinking ale at the bar.

He looked different. Gone was the young warrior from under the mountain, replaced by something more weathered. He avoided thinking more sinister, which is exactly how Valgard looked sitting there. But regardless of what he had gone through, Reginald knew his brother. He would not label him as such.

Reginald took care to speak common as neutrally as possible, making sure his dwarf accent stayed well under the radar. Not now, of course. The thick, undulating syllables came out like molasses from the throat.

"Road's taken its toll on ye. Reckon ye could finally beat the Stonefist's youngest daughter in arm wrestlin' now."

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC   Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC EmptyTue Nov 21, 2017 5:05 pm

Valgard turned a raised brow to the stocky dwarf. He replied with a gristly voice, rife with long and choppy speech. "That dwarf has more hair on her lower half than I do on me whole body. An look at you, I'm sure you might actually be able to jog now. Ya had me worried Reggie, tha barkeep was beginnin' ta think I'd drink these all by my lonesome." He said, grabbing the two mugs of ale he'd gotten and almost throwing one at Reginald. He followed up with a big laugh, embracing his brother warmly.

He wouldn't show it, but Valgard was shocked by his brother's looks. He'd remembered Reginald as the responsible, hardworking craftsman. Here, he was almost unrecognizable. He looked better, more confident, capable. For the first time since they were children, Reginald had dirt on his face. The sight was altogether surprising, though Valgard kept little sign of it on his face.

He wondered what his brother thought of him, not having seen him since he took the oath. He chugged the remainder of his ale before slapping a few more coppers on the bar. "Barkeep, two more." he says with a nod, giving Reginald a big smile. "We've got a lot to go over," He says, dipping his fingers in a grease-stained pouch on his belt. he takes the grease and rubs it over his hands evenly, running them through his hair to stiffen it, collecting all the loose locks as he does. "ready to catch up?" He says, holding up his glass.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC   Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC EmptyTue Nov 21, 2017 6:03 pm

"Aye. Aye. She was a bit rough'round the edges. But a good bottom-beard never stopped ye before." He happily takes the ale from his brother and guzzled it down. He wasn't quite as quick, but he chalked that up to not starting as early. He hugged onto his estranged brother tightly, patting him hard on the back. He leaned back, grabbing him at the shoulders and gave him another look. He smiled warmly and accepted the second ale.

He clanked mugs at the task of catching up. He was ready.

"To clan Brodinsson; may they never again have two bastard sons like us." He smiled and the mugs smacked together again. He took a proper drink, but didn't kill the mug. There were stories to tell, battles to relive, and messages to pass on. Reginald wasted no time with the latter: "Oh, yeah. Ma's proper feckin' pissed ye haven't written from your death-trip. She told me to scold you well. She also sent me with homemade grubber-buns for ye. I ate them though. Sin to let a grubber-bun go to waste and all."

+++

For the next forty minutes, Reginald the Runesmith regaled Valgard with the tale of his departure from the mountain. He emphasized his own exploits, of course. It was Dwarf custom after all. He took a moment before retelling his first combat experience.

"Wasn't like anything I had experienced before. The militia trainin'? Ha. Doesn't come close to gettin' ye ready for the real thing. The adrenaline; the noise; the smell; the fear." For a moment he was silent, his eyes a thousand yards away. Then he came back to it in a flash. "They call me Reginald Oakhand now. Apparently, I can take an arse whippin'."

He smiled and showed Valgard his vambraces. More accurately, the dozens of scrapes and cuts in them from fending off goblin swords and spears. "I swear it, brother. I fuckin' hate Gobz. They sure do like to come to pieces under the hammer though. Perfect tool that Grugni gave us, that. Wield it in the forge and the field and it has never betrayed me once. Doesn't need to be sharpened; doesn't need to be oiled - though I do that anyway." He flashed a wink.

Eventually, he caught him up to the awkward goodbye with his party and the meeting at the bar.

"So, I hear you slay Trolls now? Barkeep, next round is on me."

He couldn't wait for this tale.

Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC   Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 4:06 pm

"To clan Brodinson!" He exclaimed before drinking heavily with his brother. He smiled as he watched his brother drink, though the smile faded as he spoke. "Wha'? Ya ate me grubber-buns? Ya bastard!" He said, smacking his brother's chest with a loud thump. He laughed it off with his brother before the dwarf began to talk about his travels.

+++
Valgard kept an open ear to Reginald's tales, laughing and drinking as his brother spoke of his journeys with his old party. He laughed again at his brother's seriousness toward combat. "Oh Reginald, ye pissed yerself didn't ye? Aye, the first time's terrifyin, but ya get used to it." He nodded along with his brother, remembering his first combat himself. He came back to his brother's voice again, "Oh? I got a title meself, but you finish first."

"I fancy the axe, hammer's good for the forge but the axe cuts are far more satisfying. He says with a nod. As he finally finished his tales, Valgard set off about telling his own.

"Aye, since the outpost fell, me boys that lived and I couldn't bear the weight. So we traveled ta the Slayer's Hold. I took the oath, shaved me sides." He pointed at his mohawk, "Sure, we fought a few camps a Gobz n shite on the way there, bu' twas nothin fer what came after..." He pauses to drink a few deep swigs of his ale.

"But first, me name. Early in the trip, the boys're all put on by a band a gobz, came over the crags right at dusk, all scenic like. we had at em angrily, all pent up from the outpost n all. Choppin through orks left an right, one of em turns to Ingvald and I got a mighty blow on its back. I whipped back to face another, comin at me with a axe. HAHaha... They should know better. I grabbed tha axe haft, pulled the bastard right inta me forehead, smashed his skull right in. Now the boys start callin me StoneBrow an tha's tha'." He laughs again and takes another hearty drink, shaking his head.

"The oath though. I mean, Torduz never had it in him, skittish bastard. Practically hopped in front a the troll tha got 'im, an tha was the first month. Still, me, Ingvald, and Gotrek travelled the mountains fer the better part a a year, I'll tell ya Ingvald was a crazy bastard, in less than a week after Torduz fell he..."

For the next hour, Valgard drank and laughed with his brother, telling stories about the times he's only just managed to survive, the deaths of his remaining squad, and finally his return to Khazid Grimaz, before he set out to find Reggie. The tankards pile up, and Vall probably would've gotten in to a fight had he not been so intoxicated. Instead, he laughed and sang bar songs with the tavern until late into the night.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC   Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 12:23 pm

With every story and tale Valgaard told, Reginald reacted appropriately. Tales of violence, adventure, gain, and loss all compounded into the beginning of an epic. But would that epic tale see fulfillment? He decided not to think on it too much. Instead, he piled the tankards with his brother and sang the night away.

He awoke with a start. His own loud snore had brought him out of his slumber. His mouth was as dry as a desert and there was a slight annoyance in his head that he knew would grow exponentially if he didn't tend to it. Valgaard continued to sleep somewhere close. A few movements from Reginald quickly interrupted that.

"Ye look like I feel," he said grabbing his head and peering at his brother through one eye. "Agh, my mouth tastes like Saurus arse. I need greasy meat and coffee."

Back to top Go down
Murcurie
Admin
Murcurie

PostSubject: Re: Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC   Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC EmptyTue Dec 12, 2017 9:52 am

Valgard mumbles and sits up, rubbing his face with his hands. "Ye feel like a slayer? Glad you aspire to greatness. Ah feck.... He says as he hacks up a ball of phlegm. He spits it out and wipes his mouth on his sleeve.

"Did ne know ye had a thing fer the lizard ladies... Aye, I'm 'ungry and angry. Did we get kicked out?" He says, looking around at the cobbled paths and trash as he rises to his feet.

He dips his fingers back in the pig grease pouch, slicking his hair up again. "Well, time fer breakfast." He says, holding an unsteady, greased hand out to help his brother up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC   Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC Empty

Back to top Go down

Awaited Reunion (Prologue) - IC
Page 1 of 1