A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Solodice

PostSubject: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:32 pm

The Ragged Helix is usually unwelcoming to outsiders. The Heretek fortresses on the outskirt islands are only interested in outfitting paying costumers or finding new and unwilling subjects for their experiments. The inner islands are where the fiefdoms of the Pirate Princes are located. Unless an invited guest, which is dubious itself, you are more likely to end up a slave or worse. There is one place in the Ragged Helix that could be called a safe heaven for all, even outsiders. That would be the Halls of Dionea. An asteroid, one of the largest in all of the Ragged Helix archipelago, with a richly adorned interior with statues that cast their watchful eyes over all. The Halls of Dionea, is for a lack of better words, a pleasure palace. Every imaginable vice is catered to here. It's also a place of business where Pirate Princes hammer out deals and arrange for betrayals.

For Herschel he has come for the business. There is no better place to solicit his skills more easily then in these vast halls.

Today he's trying his luck with the First Mate of the pirate ship Last Right, Lorne DeClasse. The rumor has it the last navigator of the ship came to a grizzly end thanks to the whims of the Warp.

Finding the man isn't hard. He's playing in a high stakes game of poker at one of the countless betting tables. Herschel sees an odd looking tomb, countless pieces of gold, and what appears to be a Legionnaire Bolter gracing the pot.

[Weapons are checked at the door (unless you try to sneak one by). If following the rules Herschel is without his Q'Sal Cystal Caster and Force Staff.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:27 am

[Rolling for warp phenomena triggered by Child of the Warp:
[1d10=1] Warp Echo: All noises cause echoes regardless of the surroundings. These persistent effects follow Herschel for the duration of the session.

Herschel quietly clicks his tongue repetitively, a curious habit that's especially pronounced when he's anxious or deep in thought. His red eyes flick back and forth across the chambers and halls, barely concealed by a gold mask. As he navigates the dark halls, he analyzes every facet of the palace and it's denizens, watching for those who may try to slip a knife in his back, hiding spots, escape routes, etc.

When stopped for a weapon check, Herschel tenses up - partly because he despises being touched by anyone, especially those who have not bowed to the wisdom of Tzeentch - and partly because he is attempting to smuggle a weapon into a den of pirates. As the slovenly guard pats him down, he anxiously waits to see if they will find the Q'Sal Crystal Caster hidden among his thick, heavy robes.

[Q'sal crystal casters are small and compact weapons that are easy to hide, inflicting a -20 penalty on any relevant tests to detect it. p 38 of ToF]

Herschel Brahe - Q'Sal Magister Immaterial

Ray Carswell - Ice Cream Truck Driver

Last edited by bobarctor1977 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : words are hard)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Perception Roll: 83 (7 DoF)

Herschel successfully smuggles in his Q'Sal Crystal Caster. Best keep it hidden as well. You notice no other pirate or visitor openly brandishing weaponry of any kind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:53 pm

Breathing a sigh of relief and shaking off the icky feeling from the guard, Herschel continues through the passages. After guardedly approaching the table where DeClasse plays, he waits for an appropriate time (in between rounds, when everyone stops to get drinks, whenever) to strike up a conversation.

"I hear you're wanting for assistance navigating the Immaterium," Herschel says levelly. "I may be of service in this regard. I am Herschel Brahe, Magister Immaterial of Q'Sal. Perhaps we may strike a deal."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Every patron of the gambling hall gives Herschel a look of disdain. First for being a psyker, second for the echoing of all noises in his presence. Luckily everyone here is unarmed or Herschel might of found himself flayed and presented just for the nuisance he's causing.

DeClasse looks over at Herschel, "I guess the news of our last navigator turning into warp flame spread pretty fast."

DeClasse smiles when he hears that Herschel is a Magister Immaterial and waves for him to come close, "I hear you are all pretty talented psykers. Why don't you stand in for me and win me something." DeClasse winks at the psyker and gets up from his chair to let Herschel take his spot.

Last edited by Solodice on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:22 am

Herschel takes a deep breath and chuckles forcibly, which echoes eerily throughout the hall.

"My friend, my talents allow me to perform many incredible feats. However, they leave me no better suited for gambling than any pitiful plebeian you'd find on the streets of Surgub. In truth, games of chance confound me! I shall play if you insist, but I implore you to forgive me should I lose, as these gentlemen are likely more practiced than I."

Herschel actually has a little experience with gambling and games of chance from recreation on Q'Sal. He's not a pro but he's not as inexperienced as he sounds in fact, he quite enjoys the deceitful nature of many games. Herschel is sandbagging to encourage the other players to let down their guard and perhaps underestimate him. Whether it does him any good or not, Herschel can't resist an opportunity to deceive.

[url=http://orokos.com/roll/571064]
56 > Fellowship 41, 1 DoF

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 pm

"Traveling the warp is like a game of chance. You win or lose and I'd prefer if my navigator won using all of his skills. So let's see if that that Lord of Change is on your side," says DeClasse.

These pirates have been around the block so to speak when it comes to cards. Herschel's attempts to sandbag and downplay himself aren't working.

The betting pool has grown quite large again. Countless coins of all types of course but some other pirate has tossed in a scroll. Herschel doesn't have to guess what this is. It's a chart... a very elaborate one with it's surface constantly changing... an astral map from Velklir.

Herschel knows his hand isn't that great but the game of cards is just a much a having good cards as it playing the people at the table. That or cheating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Herschel nods at DeClasse, easing himself into the empty chair. He grows anxious as he realizes he has made a fool of himself in front of the gamblers, and begins clicking his tongue softly.

Under the table, Herschel carefully pats the tube of the Q'sal Caster along his belt. It reminds him that he has a tool for self-defense if things go south, granting him a degree of confidence. Perhaps he can turn this situation to his advantage after all.

After glancing at his cards, Herschel carefully scrutinizes the other members of the table - while also keeping an eye on any other riff raff milling about the room. Above all else, he focuses his attention on hoping to gain some insight into the other players, watching their expressions as they check their hands. He's always been shit at reading poker faces, but it's worth a shot.

Awareness test at the gambling table: 1d100 48 > 25. 3 DoF.

Herschel curses under his breath. These players are experts, he can't make heads or tails or their cold, blank expressions. More drastic measures are required.

Eyeing an opponent across the table, Herschel opens his mind to the immaterium. A familiar sensation fills his head, right behind his eyes - a feeling of tingling and burning simultaneously. Hoping he isn't staring too inconspicuously, he focuses his attention on the cards in the hand of the player across from him. With no more than a thought, he compels the cards to hit the table.

Using Mind over Matter at gambling table [Unfettered]: 1d100 42 < 92. 6 DoS.

Last edited by bobarctor1977 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:56 pm

The pirates cards hit the table much to his surprise and others. DeClasse smiles.

The pirate eyes then locks onto Herschel. He snarls, "Psyker! You cheater!" He tosses the table to the side sending the pot spilling out over the floor.

He then rushes towards Herschel. His hand reaches out but it stops short as a stony hand grabs the pirates arm and lifts him upwards. It's one of the statues that has come to life. The pirate struggles against the grip as the statue gingerly moves him far away.

A slim and inhuman figure, Herschel has spotted countless numbers of them since he's arrived at the halls, bows to him. It's skin color and texture changes to one that is incredibly soothing.

"Sorry for the inconvenience. The statues are here for protection. Violence is not what we strive for hear on Dionea. Only pleasure. Can I get you a drink?"

DeClasse puts an arm around Herschel, "Make that two Administrator." In DeClasse's hand Herschel spots the Velkir chart.

DeClasse leads Herschel away from the gambling tables to a more relaxed area. Large comfy chair and a hookah like device on a table between them.

The Administrator returns with the drinks and sets them on the table. DeClasse grabs his and takes a drink. He leaves the Velkir chart on the table.

"Seems ol' Johnny didn't like your trick back there. I quite enjoyed it to be honest. You didn't win but I can't say you didn't try using all your skills." DeClasse takes another drink, "Those that take risks are always valued on the Last Right. For those that take risks trust in themselves and have this recklessness that can't be denied. I doubt you are reckless Herschel but I do sense you are one that trusts in your own abilities. Abilities that I like and the captain of the Last Right will like." He sets his drink down and picks up the chart, "Tell me a little about yourself Herschel. I haven't meet many from Q'Sal."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:43 pm

Herschel sits down across from DeClasse, thanking him for the drink and taking a long pull from the smoking apparatus. The noxious smoke gives him a heady buzz, easing his nerves after the confrontation at the gambling table.

"Many thanks. I put my talents to good use when I can." Herschel leans forward and takes a sip from his drink. He prefers the alcoholic, loose leaf tea brews he makes for himself back on Q'Sar, but the gray sludge in the cup isn't half bad, either. It certainly tastes better than it smells. He then takes a deep breath before answering DeClasse.

"I've spent the better part of my life in politics. Through my wit and the help of the stars, I rose to a position of wealth and prominence. For a time, this satisfied my ambitions, but as of late I have grown restless, seeking something more." As he speaks, Herschel pulls his feet up to sit cross-legged on the chair. He starts drumming his fingers on his right knee, and glances about. He still feels paranoid that someone or something will sneak upon him here, just when he's distracted or has let down his guard...so he pauses mid-sentence to take a cursory glance around the room and hallway past DeClasse.

"...in brief, a waking dream sent me here." Herschel clicks his tongue, picking his words carefully. He is well-aware that this psychically dull human would struggle to fully comprehend and grasp Hersche's motives, the prophecy that has sent him here, and his ambitions. "I believe my spiritual ascension lies among the stars and will be born of time spent charting a course through the immaterium. I wish to join the crew, and would meet the captain when it suits them."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:05 pm

DeClasse sips at his drink as he listens to Herschel's story.

"Grew bored, wanted something more, and you believe your path lies in the warp." DeClasse finishes his drink, "I think for all of those on the Last Right believe their truth path lies in the warp. Whether that's demonhood or demon food is up to the whims of the Gods."

DeClasse leans back into his chair, "I like you, Herschel. Even with being a follower of Tzeetch. However I'm just the gatekeeper. The captain will have the final say if you can serve on his ship."

DeClasse slides the scroll across the table, "Your winnings." He stands up, "I have a small shuttle waiting down in the docks. Enjoy yourself a little more if you want but don't take to long."

[Add Velkir Star Chart to your gear. Adds +10 to Navigation rolls but is limited to 3 uses.]

[Can explore the Halls of Dionea a little more if you want or we can go straight to meeting the captain of the Last Right.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:48 am

Herschel contemplates his next course of action, trying to recall if he saw anything interesting in the halls.

Rolled awareness and psyniscience to see what I saw in the halls. Failed awareness by 3 DoF, passed psyniscience by 2 DoS.

Awareness test, then psyniscience: 1d00 0 1d100 15

Awareness without me fucking it up: 1d100 46

Both were against a target perception of 25.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:12 pm

Ever since Herschel stepped foot in the Halls of Dionea he could feel an underlying psychic presence. It was small and nothing that really caught his attention to begin with. However, as Herschel reaches into the warp. Something is pulsating at the center of Dionea. Something large and very hungry. It's presence is masked and well hidden but nothing escapes Herschel's third eye.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:46 pm

As Herschel considers his options, the budding psychic presence blocks out his thoughts for the briefest of moments. A thin smile crosses his face.

Herschel knows he shouldn't explore too deep into the halls. He also knows that the entity at its core is, in all likelihood, quite malevolent, and would devour his soul in a fraction of a second.

But Herschel is also possessed with an insatiable curiosity.

Still smiling, he whisks down the halls. Muttering softly to himself, he slowly navigates towards the center of the structure.

Sent from Topic'it App

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:19 pm

Herschel descends deeper through the Halls of Dionea. The deeper he goes the less people he notices and the more the architecture changes. Compared to the opulent higher levels the walls begin to look and feel organic. Passages take on a pinkish tinge, with blue veins as the walls visibly pulse.

Herschel comes upon another explorer, a women, it seems. At least that what he thought from a distance but upon getting closer the women she is slowly wandering her way down the hall without a thought in the world. She doesn't respond to any stimuli provided by Herschel to get her attention. She keeps wandering on deeper towards the center. Following her Herschel can see the hall ends in a massive maw. The women keeps bumbling along straight towards it.

Then Herschel feels it. A psychic connection.

"You're not one of the invited," it says in a beautiful tone and then you hear it sniffing, "The stench of Tzeentch is all over you. Why not come and enjoy all the pleasures of life and leave scheming and change for others to worry about."

Herschel can feel himself being pulled towards the maw now by invisible forces.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:23 am

Herschel pulls back, not ready to end his journey so soon.

He begins to run away, but keeps an eye behind him in grim fascination.

He does want to see what will happen to the woman stumbling forward. He gives her another shove to expedite the process.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:46 pm

As Herschel is just about to shove the women forward the invisible force latches onto him again. This time with a vice grip.

"You want to see what happens?" You hear the entity hiss into your head, "Well then watch." The women creeps towards the maw. It opens up with a thousand tentacles with sucker heads reach out and grasp her before wrenching her inside and the maw closing shut.

Herschel is then being dragged again towards the maw. This time with greater speed and a vice like grip on him.

"Now you see and now you'll feel." A charming and evil laugh echoes through Herschel's head.

[-10 Strength Test to see if Herschel can escape the grasp.]

[2 rounds until Herschel reaches the maw.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:40 pm

Herschel feels sweat bead on his brow as terror sets in. After cursing his curiosity, he quickly devises a plan to attempt to avoid the maw. It's a long shot, but he knows he needs all the help he can get to avoid this maw.

OOC:

Static electricity filled the air as Herschel glanced behind him and opened up a swirling vortex of warp energies. He immediately felt caught in a tug of war between the maw and the vortex, and struggle as he might to move away from the maw, he knew his feable strength wasn't making any difference.

In the middle of the madness, he reflected on how interesting it was to see eldritch lightning fly up and down his right arm. If he died here, at least he died using his blessed talents...

OOC:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:27 pm

Herschel starts to form a mini vortex down the hall as he's dragged closer to the maw which starts to open up in anticipation of its new meal.

The vortex starts to fully materialize and Herschel can feel himself being pulled in the other direction now. It's a bit of a fight between the maw and the vortex but eventually the vortex wins out breaking Herschel free. Herschel is dragged up to the edge of the vortex before Herschel stops it and his momentum keeps him going further down the hall. Hopefully out the maws psychic reach.

"Next time you will be mine, psyker. Next time." The entity psychically says.

[Herschel is free from the maws grasp!]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Herschel stops, slumping against a nearby wall to rest. His breathing comes in short, ragged gasps. He feels as if his lungs are constricted, his muscles tight from the fear, while the rest of his body feel worn out from the exertion. It takes at least twenty minutes for the tension to dissipate.

Herschel then staggers to his feet, glancing behind him and staring backwards at the maw slackjawed. A low chuckle escapes from his throat, slowly progressing into a full-blown, unhinged cackle as he tilts his head backwards. Herschel had never felt so thankful for Tzeentch and his blessed psychic patronage, so utterly overjoyed to simply be alive. What an affirming experience.

He begins to stride down the corridor, intent on making his way to the captain of the Last Right at once. Along the way, he marvels at the beautiful intricacies of the architecture of the halls, the veritable explosions of color in the dress of the Slaaneshi guests, the staggering uniqueness of every single human face he sees. He feels as if he is looking through the eyes of a child. Euphoria ripples through every cell in his body. Oh, what a wonderful galaxy.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:08 pm

Herschel doesn't waste any time making his way to Dionea's port.

There his force staff is returned to him and DeClasse is waiting next to a Arvus Lighter. Its engine already on and purring.

Herschel steps aboard and DeClasse follows close behind as the hatch closes on them.

The Arvus Lighter takes off and Herschel gets another view of the Islands of The Ragged Helix. An odd assortment of asteroids. Some with their own atmosphere and even some connected by invisible bridges. It was truly a place of madness and wonder.

The shuttle heads towards a medium sized asteroid. As it gets closer Herschel can see it's design so to speak. A design that is shaped by the main inhabitant. Long "fields" with dominating estates sitting on their borders.

"Welcome to the Hunting Grounds." DeClasse says with a smile.

[Continued in Hunting Grounds (Island of the Ragged Helix) thread.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)   

Back to top Go down

Halls of Dionea (Islands of The Ragged Helix)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
A Community for Gamers, by Gamers :: Play-by-Post Gaming :: Vortex - Black Crusade Sandbox (Game Thread)-
Jump to: