A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Brainstorming Megathread

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

Brainstorming Megathread Empty
PostSubject: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread EmptySat Sep 29, 2018 11:14 am

How do you guys go about starting your writing? What is your process? Do you have anything in mind now - stories, short stories, character backgrounds, NPC storylines, location narratives - that you want to start on?

This is the place to get those ideas brewing, and get community feedback, to start your writing process.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread EmptySat Sep 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Starting my writing usually just involves getting a vomit draft out. Just get all those ideas for plot and characters down. Then looking back over and seeing what is an isn't working. Then I move into another draft for refining the ungodly vomit draft. From there it's continuous refining from my own thoughts and others feedback.

That's for my more serious writing (mainly TV/Film scripts). My RPG work is a little similar but I don't refine it that much. One pass over the idea to smooth it out is all I need most of the time. However, as I'm working on my custom setting of Retrograde I'm finding I'm working it like I would work a script.

One thing I would love to start working on is the history of the Separatist Moons of Jupiter in my custom setting. In the current timeline they play a big roll being the solar systems current hot spot... by that I mean two of the moons are active warzones. Places just don't become warzones for no reason and the history behind why is one that stretches a while back in their history. I'll post stuff for that in the Retrograde thread though.

I'm more then happy to provide any feedback for anyone else's ideas though!
Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread EmptySat Sep 29, 2018 11:20 pm

I just get some ideas for scenes and characters that I start to connect and then get a first draft down, and then the real work starts with connecting these things, adding and removing material and so on. Hard work but satisfying results.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread EmptySun Sep 30, 2018 3:37 pm

Yeah, I suppose I am like that as well. Get some ideas, jot them down (if I even do that). I do a lot of brainstorming in the shower, I have realized. Or on long drives. I have had a lot of luck lately with splitting my players up and having them drive the narrative in very unexpected ways and just building from there. That is definitely one of the benefits of PbP.

Solodice wrote:
One thing I would love to start working on is the history of the Separatist Moons of Jupiter in my custom setting. In the current timeline they play a big roll being the solar systems current hot spot... by that I mean two of the moons are active warzones. Places just don't become warzones for no reason and the history behind why is one that stretches a while back in their history. I'll post stuff for that in the Retrograde thread though.

I am excited to read more on that. If you get stuck anywhere while lore building, I would be more than happy to help with ideas.

Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread EmptySun Sep 30, 2018 3:40 pm

Iron and Metal wrote:

Solodice wrote:

I am excited to read more on that. If you get stuck anywhere while lore building, I would be more than happy to help with ideas.

My loose idea timeline is up in the Retrograde thread if you haven't seen it yet.

Will definitely hit you up on lore building (two brains are usually better then one).
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 9:11 am

How is this going Solo? Are you still building this setting?

Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 12:12 pm

I'm also a bit curious if this setting is still being developed.
Back to top Go down
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 12:49 pm

Iron and Metal wrote:
How is this going Solo? Are you still building this setting?

Yep, it's still being built. Working through some stuff for Ceres, the Soviet Union, and some space ships.

I throw what I have been cooking up in the Retrograde setting thread.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Beauty.

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Hey, I noticed a setting thread that popped up, is anyone here responsible for that? I've got a personal setting that is precious to me (Calisota sector) that I've put a ton of time into.

I've also started working on another sector, which I call the Pontus Sector, and I would love for other to contribute on. An average-sized, Roman & Raypunk sector. The idea came when I was working on the "Dictators" chapter heraldry. I really got into the roman idea of a dictator (A leader in wartime) and kinda extended that to the whole sector. I rolled the rest of their stuff with the rites of battle tables, and when I rolled Allies: Navigators twice in a row, I knew I had to place the sector near the territory of the "Q'orl", who supposedly kidnap navigators (with the dictators being allies because they protect them & lead saviour raids into to q'orl territory to save them).

Anyone interested?
Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 12:04 am

Wendigo Bob wrote:
Hey, I noticed a setting thread that popped up, is anyone here responsible for that? I've got a personal setting that is precious to me (Calisota sector) that I've put a ton of time into.

I've also started working on another sector, which I call the Pontus Sector, and I would love for other to contribute on. An average-sized, Roman & Raypunk sector. The idea came when I was working on the "Dictators" chapter heraldry. I really got into the roman idea of a dictator (A leader in wartime) and kinda extended that to the whole sector. I rolled the rest of their stuff with the rites of battle tables, and when I rolled Allies: Navigators twice in a row, I knew I had to place the sector near the territory of the "Q'orl", who supposedly kidnap navigators (with the dictators being allies because they protect them & lead saviour raids into to q'orl territory to save them).

Anyone interested?

I may be a bit interested but I can't promise a deeper commitment for year after year.
Back to top Go down
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 4:27 am

I daydream hard AF. Feel like I typically just let my inner 12 year old go nuts and think about shit like, what's a cool scenario for a game? What's a cool combat encounter? What would an absolute badass villain look like? What's the coolest setting I can think of? And then when I have an idea I'm fired up about I daydream more to build it out and make it a full story.

Also use free writing kind of like solo said as a brainstorming tool.

I miss college lectures for it, honestly. Best possible time and place to daydream hahaha.

Sent from Topic'it App

he/him
Back to top Go down
Gurkhal
Senpai

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 7:24 am

bobarctor1977 wrote:
I daydream hard AF. Feel like I typically just let my inner 12 year old go nuts and think about shit like, what's a cool scenario for a game? What's a cool combat encounter? What would an absolute badass villain look like? What's the coolest setting I can think of? And then when I have an idea I'm fired up about I daydream more to build it out and make it a full story.

Also use free writing kind of like solo said as a brainstorming tool.

I miss college lectures for it, honestly. Best possible time and place to daydream hahaha.

Sent from Topic'it App

I'm with you. When I GM Only War I think up a couple of cool fights for a meeting, and then map out the logistics of getting the players from one to the next as the last part. Smile
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 2:20 pm

So, recently I found myself going through my old notes and seeing some items that I had gifted as in-game Christmas presents for my PCs last year and having an "OH SHIT, THAT'S RIGHT" moment when I saw them.

But what I have found is that rather than making them strictly mechanical, cool-factor gear, they have served very well as components for building a much more in-depth story. Although I haven't revealed their purposes, and won't do so here in case one of my players reads this, each one is tied to larger objectives or serve as potential quests/stories in their own right should they be really dug into an pursued.

It almost feels like in 2018 I planted some seeds without knowing it, and only now am I seeing them bloom.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming Megathread   Brainstorming Megathread Empty

Back to top Go down

Brainstorming Megathread
Page 1 of 1