A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)

Go down 
+4
Hydrako
Mac_tonite
Iron and Metal
Carnelian
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 8:55 am

"Prime or no, vengeance will be mine. Blood calls for blood, sergeant."

Kenji called out some orders and two of his men left, returning quickly with his boots. If Rhone wanted the veteran shop-keeper to stay back and hold down the fort, so to speak, he would need to do some better convincing.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 3:33 pm

I'm not here to tell you how to run your shop, Kenji Nagai....or to tell you that you shouldn't avenge your own.  Hell, I wouldn't let anybody stop me from ripping apart the the scum who hurt one of my men.  But these men still need you, brother.  Their livlihood rests on this shop and i'll be damned if I watch one of Toujou's last sons die in a tiny crawl space. Besides...that gut of yours is just too solid to suck in, and Emperor damn you if i've got to pry your fat ass out of a wall while the enemy gets away.

Rhone moves in closer and places a strong hand on the man's shoulder.

"Hold it down here...these could be the same men who attacked you earlier.  This could just be a diversion. Defend your home and let me find out who did this to your man.  Then we'll take the fight to the enemy and cut the head off the serpent together."

Rhone glances at Jules a moment and winks.

"You did all you could, little darling."

His attention back to Kenji, Rhone meets the man's gaze.

"I imagine you and me suffer the same weakness in command.  We both want to handle everything when sometimes, there's better men for the job.  I'm that better man for the job right now, Sergeant.  Get your shit in order here until we figure out what we're dealing with.  I'll try to bring the prick back alive."
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 22, 2018 10:10 am

Kenji looked at Rhone and for a moment the former Kasrkin wondered if the old shopkeeper would actuall throw him through the wall. But a slight, sad smile crossed his face and he peered down at his rock hard dad-gut.

"Can't argue with you there, Rhone." He looked at the bolt pistol and nodded, more to himself than anyone else.

"Here." He handed Jules the triple-barrel and a box of shells. "Hallway that tight, you won't even need to aim it - just point and squeeze. Keep it tight against the shoulder though, it has a hell of a kick."

Spoiler:

"We will hold it down here."

The hole was already being cut out, even as Yamazaki's body was covered. It would only take a few more moments before it was accessible.

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 23, 2018 12:26 pm

Jules gives Kenji a tight smile her face full of determination as she accepts the shotgun. She perhaps was clearly not a military type, that much was obvious as she handled the weapon, but she had the nous to check the safety and check that the gun was loaded. She'd been in a few scrapes before but a shotgun was new to her.

She hefts the weapon and then tries it out for 'fit', pulling the stock into her shoulder. Nodding again to Kenji her gaze then shifts to Rhone.

"Lets go." she nods to the shotgun "As you're taking lead if I say duck hit the floor."
Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 27, 2018 12:49 pm

Rhone nodded to Kenji before turning to Jules. An extra body and a shotgun would be useful, but Rhone wasn't too excited about dragging the girl into a potentially dangerous situation.  Still, she proved she could handle herself...

"Just make sure you plant both of those feet if you unload all three barrels at once little darling...or you'll be joining me on the ground."

Rhone looked over to the hole briefly before turning back to Jules.

"As much as I enjoy giving you a show, i'd best get some clothes on before we go crawling into the unknown. "

Rhone breaks off momentarily, jogging to his temporary quarters.  In less than a minute, the sergeant returns fully clothed.  The aviator jacket would offer superficial padding to the elements and the occasional tooth. Checking his weapon placement, Rhone checks the magazine of his bolt pistol before he flicks the red dot sight on and off to make sure everything is in working order.

"No telling who this shithead is. If the opportunity presents itself, i'd like to take him alive."
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 5:38 pm

The two move into the cramped corridor. Piping snaked along both sides of the walls and the ceiling. Whether or not it was functional or long unused remained a mystery. A look back revealed Kenji giving a nod of encouragement, his almond, tilted eyes hard and set in determination. He turned and tended to his men, leaving you to it.

There is enough room to turn around should you choose, but you two definitely couldn't stand side-by-side. Rhone took the lead. He had some four inches in height on Jules, plus whatever his boots added. This meant that Jules had the pleasure of staring at the bottom of his neck if she were right up against him. As such, her view ahead was severely cut off. She would have to rely on Rhone to know what was ahead of them.

Spoiler:

Although, whatever had killed Yamazaki had come from behind her...

As Jules as Rhone moved off in the direction of Yamazaki's killer, the first thing they noticed was just how dark it was. Coming from the lit basement into the unused corridor was quite the juxtaposition in light and dark.

In the current conditions, you could see only a meter or two ahead. Of Yamazaki's killer, there was no sign or sound.

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2019 5:22 pm

It was dark and cramped. Jules had experienced far worse conditions on the penal colony. She shrugged the claustrophobic conditions off. Mr. Ken's (as she preferred to think of him) shotgun was at the ready, although it was pointed at forty five degrees to the ground and her finger rested on the ring, not the trigger. While she was not combat trained she was smart.

She considered her surroundings...

"I've a glow globe or night vision glasses. Which do you prefer?" she queried to what she considered as the evidence presented itself the person with the most experience in such matters. Jules was pretty sure her night sight glasses was the right answer, but that depended on what gear Rhone carried.
Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2019 8:32 pm

The space was indeed cramped. Rhône was rather tall, and his shoulders were broad. Despite his observations of Kenji’s extra weight, the grizzled Sergeant’s muscled frame wasn’t necessarily best suited for crawling through cramped spaces either. Still...it was less laughable than trying to watch someone like Stubbs fit through such a tight space.

He squinted tightly for few long seconds. He repeated this process a few more times in an attempt to adjust his eyes to the low light conditions.

Rhône quirked a brow as the girl spoke. Night vision..? Whoever this girl was, she was resourceful. Rhône weighed the options, ultimately deciding to take the goggles, seeing as he would be taking point. There was no sense in leading the way blindly.

“I’ll borrow that night vision if you don’t mind. If we end up exchanging fire in here, all you need to do is point all three barrels in the general direction of the enemy and let the Emperor and physics do the rest.”

With an elbow bent, he holds his bolt pistol parallel to his head. The muzzle was pointed at the sky, and like Jules, his finger rested on the trigger guard. The weapon itself was a sleek black gunmetal with an ivory grip. On each side of the pistol was a stylized ivory skull; It’s eyes illuminated by a pair of LED’s that emitted a low red glow. Beneath each skull, written in high gothic were the words “Penitence in death”.

Aside from the large pistol, Rhône was traveling fairly light considering what he was used to. Dangling from his neck was a set of ident tags. Underneath his aviator jacket, a shoulder rig could be seen which housed a pair of bolt magazines under each armpit. One of the four magazines was marked with a distinctive orange stripe. Attached to his left upper thigh, just above the knee was a utility satchel. Two imperial steel blades rested in sheaths at his right hip, and on his left ankle. Finally, a sturdy belt pack rested above his tailbone.  
“You ever kill anybody before, darling?”
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 1:50 pm

Army boy had got it all wrong, perhaps I should have been clearer. Jules smirks behind Rhone's back.

"I take it you do not have goggles yourself then. I have some spectacles that help me see in the dark." Jules fishes out a pair of metal framed glasses, the lenses circular and tinted dark grey. "I'll be able see absolutely nothing down here with out them or some light. If you want to use em' I can hang onto your 'coattails' and then use the globe when I need to. Up to you?"

Jules understood why the second question was asked. Could Rhone rely on her if needed. She had killed precisely two people. Both had threatened her life. At the end of the day Jules was a survivor and she also looked after her friends. She didn't count Rhone as one yet but he sure was as close to any she had at the moment.

"Yes I have" Jules replies. Steel in her voice.
Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 2:46 pm

Rhône realized the weight of his question immediately after he asked it. Jules’ voice carried something with it. Pain? Regret? Both maybe... His own first kill was a fellow cadet in the Cadian White Shields at the age of twelve. An accident, but a mark of shame that would haunt him forever. A pair of betrayed eyes that stared back at him as he closed his own every night.
While he’d dealt with “civilians” before, Rhône had been surrounded by callused killers for far too long now. He felt a sense of embarrassment after asking the girl such a heavy question so nonchalantly....at the same time, survival outweighed tact.

“Sorry, darling.... Look, you strike me as capable enough. Follow my lead and I’ll get us back here before lunch, alright?”

Rhône’s thoughts lingered on the girl’s upbringing. He knew nothing about her, but she was proof that innocence was only a naive perception imposed on others to justify one’s own actions.

“If you wouldn’t mind parting with those glasses a moment...I think we’d maintain the tactical advantage if I led the way with them.”
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 9:30 pm

*Assuming Jules gives Rhone the glasses*

The dim of the corridor went away as Argus slipped the glasses over his eyes. They were a nifty piece of tech, taking away the darkness so that everything appeared in a not-quite-clear monochrome.

Jules could see Rhone's back as long as she stayed close.

The two moved forward at a cautious pace. The path ended in a T up ahead, but the direction to go was easy as the path to the right was long since patched up with scrap metal and rebar. Rhone peaked around the left corner, weapon out, and saw more empty pathway, with tubes snaking along like snakes.

With only one option, you continue on. The path was anything but straight as it made a Z, cutting back and forth, belying the fact that it was most likely constructed as areas around it and above it unexpectedly expanded in unforeseen directions.

At another corner, Rhone halted. Ahead, a pipe was spewing steam in great clouds. It was five meters ahead, but beyond it visibility was zero.

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 4:35 am

Jules peered around Rhone as best she could "That's going to hurt if lingered under." she considered the problem for a moment with the potential for the killer to be waiting just beyound. She was no tactician but logic worked well as far as she was concerned.

"Ok, so you duck down and wiggle through against the wall furthest from where the steam is coming out. Then if bastard who killed Mr Ken's man is waiting for us you holler and I put three barrels down the corridor?"

She was sure Rhone would have a better or different idea but she wasn't one to stay quiet at the back.
Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 12:36 pm

It only took a few seconds for Rhone's vision to adjust to the monochromatic filter.  Rhone's eyes swept his surroundings, searching for what at this point could very well be anything.  Their enemy was unknown, but clearly practiced at murder considering the single deathblow that left Yakazaki drowning in his own blood.

Rhone halts just before the steam cloud, holding up a fist indicating to Jules to stop. It was too perfect...a trap more than likely. The sergeant smirks at Jules' enthusiasm.  Even Artur, Rhone's chosen second in command wasn't as vocal. For the sergeant, it was a breath of fresh air to be in the company of somebody who took some initiative.

"I like your enthusiasm darling..."

Rhone holds a hand out, closer to the steam in order to gauge the temperature.

"As long as we pass through quickly without exposing our skin for too long, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.  I'm glad I decided to go back for my pants....What i'm more concerned with is what's waiting on the other side.  Without any way of seeing through that steam, we're potentially walking into a lazy but effective trap."

Rhone ponders briefly.

"It's knee height.  I'll step over and move ahead five yards to make sure we're clear.  If you hear me yell fire, that means i'm prone.  In that case, aim high and let one barrel loose.  All three and I might catch some of that falling shot in my ass.  And I swear to the Emperor darling, you shoot me in the ass and you'll be the one patching it up."

Through the glasses he winks at her before high stepping over the plume of steam....
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Rhone seemed to have an obsession with his pants and liked to draw attention to the fact that she'd seem him in just his underware. He cut a fine figure, but was he over compensating Jules mused.

With a tight smile on her face she covered the corridor with the shotgun while Rhone cleared the steam.

"If this thing hits you in the ass there's not going to be much left to patch up." she quips back.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 3:55 pm

Rhone easily hops over the flowing steam without burning himself.

Only Rhone can see this:

Jules quickly loses sight of him completely. Immediately she realizes just how alone, and how incredibly dark, her situation has become.

Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 5:44 pm

Stealth clearly wasn’t the objective just yet.
They wouldn’t have the element of surprise in such a cramped cooridor. Their echoing footsteps and light sources would be impossible to hide. Rhône scans his surroundings, searching for any hidden signs of danger before he calls out in a raspy, whispered yell.

“Jules...other side is clear. Get up here.”

Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2019 4:33 pm

She could see precisely a bit more than feth all. She didn't like it at all and thoughts plagued her of assailants from behind. She remained focused though despite the nagging thought of what she was doing down here. Rhone depended on her.

"Look, I'm going to need to use my globe to light my way. Just for a sec." without waiting for a reply she presses the activation stud and the area is bathed in soft light. Without much hesitation she moves forwards and tries to circumvent the hot steam.  

Evade Steam...:

Once Jules is clear she switches off the globe and draws close to Rhone.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 6:35 pm

There are a tense few seconds as the light switches off and both Jules and Rhone's eyes have to readjust to the dark. Jules' eyes take longer as she didn't have the benefit of the photo-lenses she had lent the rugged soldier.

The steam remains the only sound. That and the heartbeat you hear pounding away in your ears. But whatever tore up Yamazaki's face wasn't jumping out to do the same from you.

Five meters ahead was the opening into the larger room. Nothing stirred as far as the duo was aware...

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2019 1:01 am

Stay cool Jules, don't look like a scared girl in front of Rhone. He is a potential ticket out of here. One she would explore if... no when they got out of this hole. As her eyes adjusted she imagined all kinds of horrors in the dark so was relieved when she started to see the outline of Rhones broad shoulders slightly ahead of her.

She wanted to place her hand on his shoulder, just for a bit of reassurance. Human contact in the dark to steady her nerves, but she kept Mr. Kens three barrelled shotgun tight in her hands. She waited for a plan from Rhone trusting in his combat experience to see them through.

Stay cool Jules!
Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2019 11:39 am

Rhône’s breaths were long and steady as his eyes focused on the area ahead. He’d been trained long ago to ride the waves of adrenaline that would rob a lesser man of their senses.
He felt Jules’ presence behind him, more than he heard her. The girl had a fire in her that he couldn’t put his finger on. Trouble always seemed to fall into his lap, but he was beginning to wonder what he was even doing down here. Rhône had promised Kenji he’d deliver vengeance for the death of his man, but what about his own men? Once this was over, he’d get his bearings and move on.
Rhône gripped the bolt pistol tight in one hand. Without taking his eyes off of the area ahead, Rhône points to Jules and motions to the left before moving forward slowly.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2019 1:38 pm

Jules nods in reply to Rhones motions. She hoped he meant that she should follow and stick to the left, it seemed obvious.

She tries to control her hammering heart, she imagined Rhone could almost hear it as she assumed he'd be pretty cool right now. Perhaps fearful but focusing it like soldiers often did and had to. She breathes in and out slowly and steadily a few times trying to calming herself a little and got ready to act, if Rhone entered the room she'd go in and peel left a little. She had to stay in control, use the shotgun, not her mind if threatened.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2019 2:06 pm

Rhone and Jules move forward, nearly in lockstep. Jules lacked the discipline of a trained soldier, but the fear of dying horribly tended to grant some reserves of self-saving control to people.

The end of the steamy hallway gave way to a room that was slightly better lit. Ambient light from out of sight glow globes brightened the area around you by a shade. It was by no means "lit" and Jules still needed to squint to see a foot or so in front of her face, but at least it wasn't the blind dark she had experienced earlier.

Rhone could see that they had come to some sort of junction. The pipes came together here in this 50 ft. diameter room (10 feet longer than a standard shipping container for reference). They snaked off through various exits, including the one you just came from, carrying steam, water, waste, electrical, and everything in between to other parts of the station.

There is the faint sound of water dripping on plasteel. Of the enemy, Rhone can see no immediate sign. Where did they go? Which way would you choose? How would you choose it?

Rolls:

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 6:52 am

The anticipation of expecting something to happen and the relief when nothing did weighed heavy on Jules. It really was quite stressful poking about in the dark expecting something to attack at any moment.

For now Jules hangs at the back wall where they had entered and let Rhone get a head a little while he looked for evidence of the attackers passing. While she waiting she strained her ears to hear anything that might help.

Roll...:
Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 11:56 am

Rhone holds up a fist, indicating for Jules to halt....as if there were any other options at this point.  He drew in a deep breath and held it while he slowly closed his eyes.  It had been referred to as a warrior's meditation.  Whatever it was, it served to quantify that "gut feeling".  The veteran sergeant entered an almost trance like state as four of his five senses searched for anything out of the ordinary.
Musty air filled his nostrils, and sent a tickling sensation throughout his body as it brushed over the hairs on his arms and the back of his neck.  He searched deeply for anything and after an eternity of what was only ten seconds....there it was....Through the ambient sounds he heard something that broke up the rhythm of the water drops .  It could be anything, but hell at least it was something.  He opened his eyes and approached one of the exits, kneeling and placing his hand on the floor.  Sure enough, there were telltale signs of traffic.  Long settled grime on the rockrete displayed scuff marks.  It wasn't necessarily footprints, but hell....at least it was something.

Rhone motions for Jules to follow.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2019 6:49 am

Jules paused at Rhones indication. She strained her ears to try and pick up what she assumed he had and heard nothing of note.

While she waited she shifted her feet a little, it didn’t make much noise but pointed to her lack or total absence of any training. While she had time to pause and think she realised there was something nagging. Something that might be useful… she caught herself before she loudly exclaimed a bunch of expletives as she realised she had an auspex. A pretty useful device for hunting out things in the dark.

She felt a little embarrassed as Rhone came across as very professional. Perhaps if she didn’t just say anything and he’d be polite enough…

Quietly Jules retrieves the device from her backpack, turns it on and start panning it about scanning for signs of life.

Last edited by Carnelian on Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2019 9:44 am

Rhône’s eyes keep careful watch with assistance from the photo lenses Jules had lent him. He nonchalantly looks over his shoulder to see what the girl was rummaging around for. Briefly he catches a glimpse of something just as his eyes return to the hallway in front of him. It took a moment for his mind to register what he had just witnessed before he performs a double take. Was that...an...ausp....he lets out something between a sigh and a grunt as he stares at Jules. His expression was almost entirely blank, but his eyes said it all. Rhône continues to stare at her with a gaze that could melt plasteel. Periodically blinking as he grinds his teeth, Rhone waits to see what the device picks up.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 pm

As the light of the Auspex light up Jules' face in a soft glow she could feel his eyes on her. Jules risked a sneaky look up. Uh oh. He looked mad. Those eyes. She'd been stupid for forgetting it, lives were at risk. Hers and Rhones, she had to tried harder. Engage brain Jules!

She snaps her gaze back down and studies the read out intently not wanting to miss anything.

Scan for life and other hazzards:

After a moment longer with nothing showing Jules looks up. "Nothing about. I'll keep an eye on it" she whispers. There is a pause then she adds "sorry" with a simple shrug.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 9:18 am

Luckily for the duo, Rhone's eyes were sharp, and he had years of training for picking up on the smallest details in a battle zone.

But this wasn't a battle zone. Or was it? For Jules this was another day on the space station, but Rhone had come here expecting some R&R - at the very least not having to run through the fire to save his squad. Yet, here he was. Hunting an unknown assailant. Paying back a debt to a kind shop owner. With a complete newcomer to his life he looked as though she had never carried a pack of more than 5lbs in her life.

What a team.

Of the various off shoot tunnels, Rhone is able to pick up on the only one with scruff marks in the grime. It turns out to be very much like the one they just came from. Although, the keen eyes could make out a slight difference.

Awareness SIGHT:

The corridor opens up again, clearly into another room.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 11:59 am

With a face set in stone and a gaze that lasted for damn near ever, Rhône finally winks to Jules. The gesture was the closest to a “it’s alright” she would get. The girl was no soldier, and she owed him nothing. What was she even doing with an auspex? She was full of surprises to say the least.

Rhône’s eyes track the scuff marks on the flooring to an open corridor. He looks to Jules briefly and presses a finger to his lips before focusing his attention forward. In a two hand grip, he raises his bolt pistol just low of forward ready as he anticipates the unknown.

With keen eyes and a sixth sense for shit hitting the fan, Rhône searches high and low for any indications of an enemy, or anything that could provide a tactical advantage.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 1:44 pm

Jules locks eyes with Rhone and returns his stare. She may not have looked it but she was a tough cookie and not one to be intimidated. She'd had enough of that in her life. She was different to him as night and day, he had this commanding presence which could no doubt get a soldier into line without words whereas her gaze was warm and welcoming. Perhaps a little sadness could also be seen in her brown eyes.

When he winked she smiled tightly back, but there was a sparkle in her eyes that betrayed the tight smile.

With his direction she got ready to back him up. She hooked the auspex to her belt so she could easily look at it but also quickly bring two hands to Mr. Ken's shotgun.

She slowly exhaled to steady her nerves and peered ahead.
Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 30, 2019 1:11 pm

Rhône’s eyes follow the tubing along the ceiling and walls. Standard imperial power tubing, and just like all standard imperial products; mass produced, low quality and unstable. If they were drawn into a firefight, Rhône took a mental note to keep the tubes out of his iron sights....or not, depending how hairy it got.

The absence of bio tubing told Rhône one of two things. Either they had entered a portion of the space station that wasn’t meant to support organic life, or they were in the worse of the slums where the lowborn inhabitants above were meant to fend for themselves and wallow in their own filth.

He motions for Jules to follow. Rhône was certain if the assailant knew he was being followed, he’d be ready for them. Still...there was no need to announce  their presence prematurely. As Rhône steps forward his boot connects with something small as he hears the low rumble of a small chunk of rocket skip across the floor. So much for surprise....
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 31, 2019 3:59 pm

There is a pause between heartbeats as Rhone's rock tumbles forward, clanking off of the sides of the tunnel.

You both strain your ears in an attempt to drown out the thump of your heartbeats. Did you hear something?

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 12:59 am

Jules grip on the shotgun tightens as she heard a noise beyound; it sounded like the shuffling of feet? She stopped herself before she whispered to Rhone and instead reached out and placed a hand firmly on his arm to get his attention.

Once she had it she mimes a few motions; she points to her ear and then points towards the room. She then points two fingers downwards and makes a walking motion with them.

Jules then looks at Rhone expectantly.
Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 10:07 am

Rhone's attention snaps to Jules.  He hadn't caught it, but thank the Emperor for another set of ears.  Her finger puppet show was blatantly clear.  Whoever it was, they were likely taking defensive positions and preparing an ambush....or they were fearfully searching for a hiding spot from two gun toting lunatics, combing through a catacomb of a long uninhibited section of a starport on a mission of murderous revenge for a man they'd only known for hours.  He hoped for the later...

Rhone nods to Jules and briefly flashes her a reassuring smile.  Should she be able to see anything in the dimly lit room, he wanted to give her some sense of reassurance.  Practiced in leading others into the bowels of hell, Rhone knew she was relying on him to get her back safely.  

Noise discipline was an unnecessary luxury at this point.  Their potential enemy knew where they were, and there was little the duo could do to change that.  All they could do is try to catch them by surprise.  Rhone drops his voice to a low whisper.

"Anything on the auspex?"

He doesn't wait particularly long for an answer before he speaks again.  His word's are calm and clear.

"Follow my lead darling.  Keep your weapon ready and activate that glow globe when I move in.  Follow three steps behind and cover the left.  If anything looks like it wants to slit our throats, open its' mind with a  round to its forehead."

Rhone's eyes comb the floor with practiced precision.  Finally, he locates what he's looking for.  The veteran sergeant picks up a chunk of rockrete and tosses it in his palm a couple times, testing its weight.  Looking back to Jules, he winks...whether she could see it or not.

"Fire in the hole!!"

Rhone tosses the chunk of rockrete into the room and waits for the sound of scurrying footprints as he hopes to hell they took the bait.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 1:02 pm

There isn't the slightest bit of noise from the room beyond. In fact, it somehow seems quieter than it did previously.

Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2019 1:01 pm

The silence grew heavier. With that, there was only one option.

“Change of plans, Darling. Stick to me like glue. You go left, I go right. Prepare for contact and pull that trigger if anything so much as looks at you wrong. On three...”

Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 12:57 am

Jules ignored the contradictory order from Rhone. 'You go left while I go right, all the while sticking to him like glue', she got the idea. Although she didn't like it. She was scared of course, who wouldn't be going into danger, but it didn't 'unman' her. If she faced something on her own that meant life or death and other means had failed she would use her mind.

She didn't want to spoil things though. The stranger and he was still that for now might be a ticket out of here. Or at least a friend and she needed those.

She nods tightly at Rhone in reply. She readies the glow globe which she planned to switch on and roll out before her and while she didn't have both hands free for the shotgun she rested its barrel pointing upwards on her shoulder.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 5:10 pm

Three.

Rhone rushed forward. The photo-lenses giving him confidence to step and his training allowing him to breach effortlessly. Jules follows, but once Rhone goes right, she is much less confident. The glow of ambient light from the Auspex gives her perhaps a foot of vision. Anything could be moving just beyond that and she wouldn't know if it was a daemon from the Warp or one of Kenji's birds.

But nothing stirs. A quick look from Rhone shows that they were in a central hub for the electrical wiring he had noticed earlier. There were machines down here too. The wires fed into them and then back out. There was stenciled High and Low Gothic atop one of the machines. While time has eroded much of it away, Rhone can almost make out the wording.

Test:

Meanwhile, Jules thinks her eyes are playing tricks on her when she sees a light green spark. After waiting for ten seconds, she sees it again. It's coming from just behind the main machinery hub, wedged between the back of the machine and some external electrical tubing.

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2019 1:37 am

An electrical spark? It could be a bit of malfunctioning wiring. Her mind was wired from the stress of the dark and was working furiously as she tried to keep herself calm so there wouldn't be any 'accidents'... could it be a trap?

'Fuck it' she thought. The killer surely knew we were here and here I'm stood with the glow of the auspex lighting me up, which allowed me to barely anything at all. It was time for a little more light.

Shouldering the shotgun, she draws her hand cannon and then her glow globe "Let there be light" she whispers as she presses the activation stud.

Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2019 1:00 pm

The entirety of the room is immediately illuminated as Jules' glow-globe turns on. Small but powerful, the 12 or so meters they normally light up easily covers the room the duo are standing in, casting long shadows where a piece of machinery or tubing covers the light.

Rhone's eyes are immediately flooded with brilliance as the ambient light in the room is replaced instantaneously by waves of radiance.

Even with the shotgun strapped over one shoulder, it is awkward to balance it, the hand cannon, and the glow globe, but Jules manages. Peering closer, she sees the "spark" is actually a tiny light bulb embedded in what appears to be a octagonal device of some sort. Further examination reveals that the device is connected to the machine via wiring, but it looks haphazard and out of place.

Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyWed May 01, 2019 10:25 am

Caught of guard by the flood of light, Rhone instinctively pulls the photo-lenses from his eyes and rests them on the ridge of his forehead. With potential hostiles lurking nearby, Rhone maintains a ready position with his bolt pistol.  His eyes dart to the stenciled words on the machine before he turns his attention to Jules.  The grizzled sergeant watches the girl as she attempts to balance her equipment, while simultaneously fiddling with something in the low light.  With a smirk, he holsters his bolt pistol and approaches her from behind, placing his hands on the shotgun to relieve her of the weapon.

"Here, let me hold that thing."

He pulls the weapon from her grip and checks it to make sure it's readied and the safety is off.  Turning to inspect his surroundings, Rhone keeps watch as he speaks.

"This is the main electrical output for section twelve...you know anything about machines...?  I'd bet an Ork's left nut we could get some damn light in here if we were to take a look at that thing."

He puases a moment and continues.

"Nice entry by the way....if I wasn't mistakin', i'd wager you'd done that before."

It wasn't so much a question as much as it was the verbalization of his own inner thoughts.  What was this runt's story?"
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyWed May 01, 2019 11:14 am

The rhythm of the light changes. Jules notes that it starts to pulse slightly faster.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyWed May 01, 2019 5:09 pm

Jules almost subconsciously hands Rhone the shotgun as she was transfixed by the softly pulsing light which worryingly had begun to blink faster...

Trained Tech Use:

"Errr... " she mumbles...
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyWed May 01, 2019 9:25 pm

Jules can tell immediately that this device, whatever it is, was not a part of the original machinery. It has been attached - haphazardly. The beeping jumps in speed again. And again.

It takes Jules all of two seconds to understand what's going on; eventually the beeping would stop altogether.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu May 02, 2019 12:49 pm

Jules takes a step back as the realisation hits her, "Bomb!" she shouts as she turns backs towards the way they had came in. Her mind raced as the beeping stopped, it was to late! Panic and the will to survive sends her into a dive for the nearest exit, trying to get any distance from it and as low to the ground as possible.

Athletics:
Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu May 02, 2019 3:29 pm

Rhone clenches his teeth as his muscles spring into action.

Move, move, move!!

Instinctively, he made a step towards Jules to drag her to safety, but she was already moving.  If he survived this, somebody was going to catch imperial steel to the sternum.  Searching for cover, Rhone runs and dives towards anything that is suitable to cushion him from the blast.  

Athletics:
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyThu May 02, 2019 6:04 pm

Rhone and Jules react exceptionally fast, quickly running into the corridor from which they came. They jump inside just as the device reaches its crescendo.

**BWAAAAMMMMMMMMM WOOOOOOOOOOOSSSHHHHH**

The blast crackles outward in a dome of phosphorescent blue that blinds as it passes. There is no explosion per se. No fire. No shrapnel. But the hair on both of your bodies stands straight up and out. Jules' glow globe sparks and fizzles out.

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyFri May 03, 2019 2:24 am

Jules lays on the floor for a moment as she tried to get a sense if she'd be injured. She wiggled her toes and fingers, everything seemed to be in order. No pain apart from perhaps a bruised knee where she'd thrown herself to the floor.

It was dark again, her glow globe had died. If it had been an explosion she was sure she would have been injured. The concussion alone in an enclosed space would have at least caused her hearing some problems. An electrical discharge? It didn't really matter she concluded. She was alive...

"Rhone?" she whispers into the dark "You ok?"

Her hands reach out about the floor until they connect with her hand cannon which she gathers up before starting to stand.

Back to top Go down
Mac_tonite
Senpai
Mac_tonite

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyFri May 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Rhone's eyes jerk open as he rolls onto his back and lets out a heavy breath. The hairs of his beard felt as if though they were alive and dancing on his face.  EMP....? Who the hell was operating down here, and why on the Emperor's gilded gooch did they strike at a noodle bar?  Hearing Jules' voice, Rhone reaches over for the shotgun before hopping to his feet.

"Still in one piece, darling....you?"

Collecting his thoughts, Rhone pulls the photo-lenses over his eyes to see if they were still operational.

"Don't move, i'm coming to you!"
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 EmptyFri May 03, 2019 3:24 pm

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Rhone finds that the photo-lenses are still working more or less as they did before, with a bit more static interference every now and then.

Before Rhone can take two steps, the racing of feet on the hard ground sounds behind them.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)   Meeting Again for the First Time (IC) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Meeting Again for the First Time (IC)
Page 3 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next