A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:54 am

Begin Scene 1

Roles
Narrator: Ian
Witness: Jeff
Watchers: Heath?, Alex, Theo

"Somme. The whole history of the world cannot contain a more ghastly word."
- Friedrich Steinbrecher

The smell.

Lord almighty, the smell.

On the good nights, William Fraser dreams. Dreams of verdant fields, azure skies. Of being in the fields again, tilling the soil. Of walks through the corn rows, coming home to a warm meal and a cold tank of ale. The smell of the fields and wet earth after a spring rain, the sight of morning light shining through the mist at dawn...

...the smell always crept into the dreams. Slowly but surely it infiltrated these idyllic dreamscapes of the English countryside, fouling them with scents of rotting flesh. Of Feces, urine, vomit. Whiffs of ammonium from the gunpowder. Sweat and mud.

As Willy shrugged himself awake, the other sensations slowly crept in, varying depending on the day. Usually, this was the pounding, ceaseless beats of drum-fire artillery. Day after day this maddening cacophony assaulted their eardrums. It would do strange things to a man, this neverending barrage. Willy would sometimes hear a squadmate screaming hoarsely through the din, yelling at the sky in torment in a fruitless expression of terror through it. Othertimes he would hear laughing, or men simply making jokes that were the epitome of gallows humor while others were dismembered or slaughtered outright ten feet away.

Occasionally they were blessed with a respite, which was filled with bored, resigned chatter from his trench-mates mixed with agonizing wails from injured soldiers. The crack of rifles, the occasional drone of an airplane above. Brief moments of silence before the terrible, unending shelling continued. This morning was one of these all-too-short moments.

Next to Willy in the trench was Kearn O'Rourke.

"Bloody fools could have at least done us the honor of hitting the damn trench," O'Rourke said, gesturing just over the lip of their trench. Neither of the men would dare look, but judging by the dirt that had been thrown in their trench during the barrage, there were certainly a few moon-like craters a stone's throw away. He chuckled and turned to look at Willy. "Amiright?"

Watchers:

Herschel Brahe - Q'Sal Magister Immaterial

Last edited by bobarctor1977 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:31 am

"I would congratulate their boys on their woeful accuracy, but t'be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if it was us or them." O'Rourke grinned, his teeth glinting like cracked tombstones in the dirty red of his mouth. The Irishman's health had seen better days. His dull green eyes stared balefully out of his grime covered face, waiting for a response. His uniform, once coloured in the khaki knits from back home, has been homogenised to the brown stains of mud. His feet were swaddled in thick socks, trying valiantly, but failing, to keep the thickened sludge at the bottom of the trench away from his feet. As the seconds drag on, the man absently slaps at his neck, barely missing a fat fly. Undeterred, the fly returned to land once more on his neck, wings flickering lazily as the proboscis investigated the small scabs littered across O'Rourke's neck. O'Rourke himself didn't seem to notice, green eyes unblinking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:57 pm

The farm was beautiful. It wasn't huge as his parents weren't well off, but the local lord treated them well. He had never realized that before. He smiled. It was as though he had never seen how good he had had it. Growing up he had hated the place. He hated the sight of it. It was bucolic in the extreme and the Podunk structures made him want to get up and flee to the nearest city as fast as he could. But now, looking out at the green pastures and blue skies, he sighed and took it all in.

He was about to turn and head inside when the smell hit him. It came on so strong and so fast he couldn't pinpoint what it was. But the sweet sickly aroma crawled into his nostrils and embedded itself in his throat. He could taste it. He wanted to gag, but he was somehow used to it. Decay. Rot. Shit. Sick.

The skies turned gray in a flash. The green hills were muddled and black. Distant screams echoed on the horizon, but he could not say from whence they came. He took a step forward and a giant explosion engulfed him...

... Willy woke with a start. The breath caught in his throat and he coughed as he rolled out of bed.

1, 2, 3, 4. 1, 2, 3, 4. He repeated the mantra in his head as his hands tapped at the side of his bed. Four times in total he repeated it. Four by four. It was a sacred number. Of course, he couldn't remember where he had read that 16 was a sacred number, but it mattered not. It was his morning ritual.

++++

This stretch of trench was as good as any he imagined. O'Rourke was on again with his tasteless humor, but Willy didn't mind. Not anymore. What was the point? He would have welcomed a shell landing directly on their position.

At least then it would be quick... not like the gas, or a stomach wound, or shrapnel to the face or groin from a distance, or dying of dysentery...

He was lost in his thoughts for a moment and, as usual, took to chewing on his already worn down fingernails.

"Y-y-you think we'll go over the top today?" Willy stopped chewing at himself long enough to adjust his set down his rifle and pull out his canteen. "Or will the Huns come to us?"

In between drinks he tapped his middle finger on the canteen. A dull thud came with every blow.

1, 2, 3, 4...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:23 pm

The dull thud from the canteen echoes faintly, sounding eerily similar to distant shelling impacting the ground.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:11 pm

"'pends on whether the officers are feeling lucky today. Your guess is as good as mine, friend."

O'Rourke leans in closer to Willy. A heavy scent of cheap whiskey hangs on his breath - nevermind that your watch reads that it's barely past 9:30 a.m. Everyone did what they had to do to stay sane...the irishman fiddled his rifle, brushing dirt off a crevice near the top of the barrel.

"Didja hear..." O'Rourke belches, giving Willy another whiff of his foul breath. "...about that tunnel theys was digging? Boys are sayin' somethin' went wrong." His expression turned dour. "Awfully wrong."

Last edited by bobarctor1977 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:08 am

Willy put his canteen back into its pouch, but his fingers kept on tapping until he had hit 16. He adjusted his helmet and stared down the length of the trench. Being lost in his own thoughts helped, even if he was thinking of nothing.

No, especially when he thought of nothing.

"W-what went wrong? S'posed to dig a hole, ey? H-how could the engies cock that up?"

A cool breeze blew in from the east. It was a wind that traveled from the German lines, over No Man's Land, and brought with it the smells of hatred, fear, and decay.

Willy shivered and awaited a reply.
Back to top Go down
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:35 am

O'Rourke furrowed his brow. He shook his head slightly, avoiding eye contact with Willy. His gaze turned upwards, following a plane that flew lethargically across the sky. At this distance, it was impossible to tell whether it was with the Allies or the Huns...it brought the ominous sense that someone was watching them, mapping their coordinates so that the next shelling would be even more deadly.

A group of men passed by, helping along a soldier whose arm was but a stump. Didn't even make it to the elbow. The injured man howled in pain, blood dripping along the muddy ground behind him. The two men carrying him offered paltry, token condolences. More men cried out in anguish along the trenchline, but by this point in the battle, it felt like little more than white noise. O'Rourke didn't bat an eyelash, didn't even turn to acknowledge the poor sap walking past them.

"Oh I....I don't know. Just hearsay, really. On second thought, maybe I better refrain. With morale as it is, last thing we need is superstitious bullocks....care for a swig?" O'Rourke held up the canteen, offering a mirthless smile to boot.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:21 am

"Piss on that. My morale can't get any lower." Willy took the canteen of Irish whiskey. It was one thing he had never gotten a taste for, but learned to appreciate from his commiserate mate.

"..'sides, I done the asking d-didn't I?"

He looked up again, lost in thoughts of nothingness. Only after a few moments of nothing did he realize he was looking at a plane. He wondered briefly if it would start a rapid descent. Maybe it would strafe the trench with machine gun fire. Maybe drop a bomb. It didn't matter if it was friendly or not; mistakes were often made in this chaos.
Back to top Go down
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:53 am

Kearn takes the flask back and takes a swig before screwing the cap back on. You notice his hand trembling slightly. He glances back over his shoulder, then looks past Willy to make sure the coast is clear.

"Boys're sayin' nearly eve'rone who dug down was killt. Outta the 10-man dig team, they says only one poor sap made it back. And ravin' mad, he is."

Kearn stuffed the flask back in his pack a little too forcefully before pulling out a pipe and packing in a bit of stale tobacco. The old beat-up pipe bobbing up and down from his teeth as he spoke out of the corner of his mouth.

"Whole fuckin' place is cursed, ya ask me. Makes me skin crawl."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sylphilis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Without warning, a figure leaps/falls into the trench from behind.

Sinking in the mud up ho his shins, he also collided with the wall, poulling away with a coat of soppy mud. He was short, shorter that everyone else, he was laden with a heavy pack.

"Hey lads." Billy says, exasperated from his run.

He seems oblivious to the start he gave everyone as he pulls the pack off of his back.
"Got lunch, mold with a bit' o bread on it."

He pulls out old bread wrapped in cheesecloth and begins distributing them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:59 am

Willy grabbed at his rifle instinctively as Billy landed nearby. He nearly dropped it from one hand as his other hand clawed frantically at his bayonet. He started breathing again when he realized who had dropped in.

"Bollocks, Billy! I nearly shat meself. What're you thinkin' d-droppin into our trench like that? C-c-could 'av kilt you."

Willy doesn't deny any food, but he doesn't ask for any either. Truth was he wasn't much for eating lately. Everything tasted of death and he never was too hungry. Tobacco helped more. He rolled a cigarette and waited until its tip was glowing orange before speaking again.

"Who is the survivor? The s-stark ravin' mad fellow?"
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:25 pm

"Sorry 'bout that." Billy says offhandedly.

He handing out mold, but he was paying attention to Willy.
"Who's mad? You dont think they're just trying to get out of the trenches do you?"

He spits in the mud, some were too young and doing everything they could to do their part while others were shooting themselves to get off.
"I hear people like that are tried for treason and shot." he says, somewhat high and mighty about it.

"Any news from the kaiser today?" he says nodding towards the lip of the trench towards the Austrian-Hungarian lines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:43 am

The glowing tip of Willy's cigarette emitted wisps of smoke, smelling musty and stale to those around, and tasting like burnt sawdust. The faint wisps of smoke drifted slowly above the trench walls, soon to be lost against the uniform grey background of the sky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:13 pm

Kearn glances sideways at Billy, frowning. He takes a lump of the moldy bread and starts chewing, apparently unperturbed by the growth.

"Hell if I know. One of the engies, the boys didn't give a name. Probably jus' a bogus story some bored private made up to scare his friends. Whatever it is, I don't like it. We's 'nuff to worry about with the Huns over there." Kearn bit his lip and turned his eyes skyward. "Next barrage could come any minute." He shook his head. "Any fuckin' minute. Pound you and me into marmalade before we knew what hit us..."

Kearn sunk nervously and dejectedly onto a small wooden crate, anxiously eyeing the skies overhead.

[End Scene 1]

[Begin Scene 2]
Scene 2 Roles:

Narrator: Heath
Witness: Theo
Watchers: Alex, Ian

Spoiler:

Last edited by bobarctor1977 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sylphilis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:51 pm

"Bloody shit. Do you have to speak that way?" Willy says annoyed at Kaern's ability to scare him to death.

"I'd rather you not give them any idea's." he adds. There was always the matter of how much they could and couldn't hear. Sometimes he swore they were so close he could smell the musky beer they were so famous for.

A hazy mist was forming over the field. The fog wasn't entirely natural - sometimes it was from gun fire and artillery down the line. It was blowing across the trenches, covering no mans land in patches of poor visibility.

Willy stands and warily stands at the lip of the trench and looks at what he could see. It was thick, thick enough so that he could just barely make out the dreaded barb wire lines that protected the hun lines.

He sinks back into the hole, takes off his brodie helmet and rubs dried dirt from his forehead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sylphilis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Willy wakes up with the shrill whistle.
He jumps with a start, tripping and falling face first in the mud.
"INCOMING!" someone yells just as an explosion near? or far? drowns out his voice in concussive blast.

He scrambles from the mud, seeing a frenzy of activity in the trench and a series of explosions rock the ground and shower the trench with clods of mud.

"W-what's going on?" he asks, still confused and dazed.

He grabs his rifle and hugs the forward wall.

He wipes the mud from his face, but all he did in the end was smear it around.

Hesitantly, he looks at the lip of the trench, wondering if krauts would be pouring over it in a few minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:57 am

The earth rumbles with every incoming shell, plunging the men into abject chaos. Dust, dirt, and smoke obscure vision, creating an artificial cloud around you.

O'Kearn curses and shouts, though his words are impossible to hear throughout the discordant barrage.

Sent from Topic'it App

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:14 pm

With the sounds of shells crashing down, Willy turned and pressed his back firmly against the wood and earthen wall of the trench. The vibrations of the shells reverberated though the walls, shaking Willy and his tightly clutched rifle. Whimpering quietly, shuddering sobs lost in shell explosions, Willy waited, seemingly for eternity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sylphilis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:20 pm

The shelling continues, unabated for two hours.

With rattled nerves, the last explosion was replaced with the sound of machine gun nests and rifle fire down the line. The kaiser's men were on the charge down the line. Calls to order and steady the mens nerves could be heard in the distance, but there were no orders to assist them yet.

Anxiety overwhelms the trenchers as they await for either a german assault, or the order to move on to the fighting directly. Time and time again, men run through, being shuffled to the action as you man your posts.

Then the situation changes. Men come screaming from the direction that 30 seconds ago they had been running towards. One of them men (who was barely 19 at best) stops to tell you:
"What are you still doing here? The Jerry's have broken the line, they're headed this way. They had a large iron auto, none of our guns could scratch it. This line is lost. You need to leave now."
he says as he rejoins the steady line running away towards the nearest safe exit towards a rear line.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Willy raises his head as the man moves on, grimy, tear streaked cheeks peeking out from under his helmet.

"Wha... wait! An Iron Auto?" Willy asked to the rapidly retreating man. "Leave? Where too?" His brain seemed to have trouble processing the situation, still recovering from the barrage.

Taking a second to reorientate himself, Willy stood, and faced the oncoming rush of feeling men. For a second, Willy looked like he would face down whatever threat the Germans had. His face filled with determination, rifle standing at the ready, fingers tapping the wooden barrel.

1, 2, 3, 4. 1, 2, 3, 4. Tapped the finger. 1, 2, 3, 4.

Suddenly, Willy turned and pushed into the flow of retreating men.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sylphilis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:43 pm

The rest of the squad follows, and you weaves through of the trench lines in search of a good fallback position.

In the end the train led to a ladder onto the ground, them men were abandoning the lines, but with the terrifying prospect of an imperviable, ironclad automobile that could all but bypass the barbed-wire lines.....

Once out of the trenches, they were exposed.

Turning around, you could see the iron behemoth that made with wire lines nothing more than debris on a crowded street, and made the trenches litle more than potholes in the road.

It was as the trooper described. It had dozens of guns that were spewing death in all directions. On the front was even mounted a small cannon. With it came dozens-no-hundreds of jerrys. There was no hope against such a monster.

The cannon fires in you direction, hitting ahead of you. Men and body parts flew in all directions. The train of men scatter in all directions like cockroaches avoiding the light.

Pandemonium reigned as British high command did the only thing they could think of to stop the lines from collapsing entirely.
They began to shell their own lines.....

Kearn shouted something and pointed towards another trench. Before anyone could talk or hear he starts running towards it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:53 pm

Bullets ricochet off the iron machine, flying this way and that only to add further chaos to the scene. Some brave men fling hand grenades from inside the trench, but the vehicle moves implacably forward despite their explosions. In return, the men are chewed into bits by automatic fire, falling limply back into the trenches from which they struck.

Behind the tank and barely visible through the murk of gunsmoke and dust, Willy can see that a veritable tide of german soldiers is approaching...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:59 pm

The incoming wave of German troops was terrifying to behold, and yet it paled against the impervious monstrosity slowly advancing towards Willy. His will, already strained, broke under the weight of friendly shells landing among men he called friends and allies.

"Fuck me, fuck this, and fuck HQ" Willy swore, words lost in the cacophony of the battle. Seizing any chance to survive, he sprinted after Kearn, hoping to make the indicated trench before a bullet found his back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sylphilis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:02 am

Stepping over the edge, the rest of the trench squad fall in, almost landing on top of willy.

Peter picks himself up from the much, laughing as he did so.
"Shut up you loon" Billy warns, his warning sounding as impotent as a man of his age.

You stand and know right away that something is wrong.....

This was like no trench you were familiar with. It was more like a giant hole in the ground, as deep as a trench, but as wide as a cricket field, and circular-ish.

Hills of dirt were scattered, alongside benches made from crates and footlockers. Here and there could be seen shovels and pick axes.
In the center was a hole, with a heavy, iron welded frame set up over it. There was a rotary engine that let steel wire down the hole.

Blasts from explosives and the staccato roar of machine guns could be heard from behind, but no one had followed you into this pit just yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:59 pm

The crater felt alien, like it belonged more to those outlandish films about the moon than in a field of France. The rim was jagged and erratic. There were a few large puddles about, filled with putrid water that had sat motionless for god-knew how long. They had a green tint to them, and Willy was certain they had been tainted by a large score of gas attacks. The repulsive cherry on the cake was the bodies - each puddle had at least 1-2 bloated bodies floating in them, if not several.

Hopefully no one would be required to drink from the foul ponds, but if they were stranded here for long, there may be no other choice.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:59 pm

With the squad diving into the crater, Willy turned to look over the lip towards the German Line. Hands digging into clammy mud, he peered through the dirt and fog raised by the shelling. The deafening noise, shells mixed with screams and gunfire, scared Willy. He shuddered, and looked like he was going burst again into tears.

"Why did they shell us?" Willy whispered. He turned back to the squad. "Where are we?"

With a deep shuddering breath, Willy realised that they had bought a moment of respite by diving in this crater. A chance to regroup and hopefully survive. Survival meant heading home.

"Look, fellows, if we want to get out of this alive, if we want to see home again, we need to find a way back to our own lines. If anyone knows what this place is, say so. Otherwise, someone go and see if there's any phone line to HQ. Billy, keep watch. I'm going to see what that thing is for."

Hoping that the squad would actually follow some semblance of orders, Willy walked over to the hole. Investigating the frame, while being careful not to fall in, Willy tried to find any hint as to what it was, and why it was here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sylphilis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:20 pm

Zann slips a fag from his chest pocket and lights it, tossing the match carelessly into the muck.
The tobacco tasted like the mud that grimed his face.

Knox offered his own opinion, "How else would they kill that behemoth? I doubt a grenade could touch something like that."*

Pun shakes his head, "We could've held the line."
Billy fires back, "Maybe you could've."
Pun takes a defensive stance, "What are you saying, urchin?"

They looked like they were about to fight, Pun having seen the remark as an insult of some sort.

The only one who stayed silent this whole time was O'Rourke. He looked at the area, and was trying to figure out what to do.
"The lines are crawling with Jerrys. Maybe moving right now would be bad? I doubt this place has any strategic value. Look at it, they abandoned this place."

*When tanks first entered the scene in WW1, artillery was the best way to put them down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sylphilis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:28 pm

From deep inside the shaft, Willy and co. hear what sounds like an unearthly moan, or was it a growl?

Whatever it was, it wasn't human.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:34 pm

A rusty and muddy ladder sticks out of the shaft. It seems rickety, as if it might come loose if too many people tried to climb down it at once. There's only inky darkness to be seen inside of it...as if it could swallow you up and make you disappear without a trace. There could be an entire world down there for all you know....

The man share uneasy, concerned glances as the howl fades into the white noise of the combat. O'Rourke double checks his rifle to make sure it's loaded, but tries to act casual.

"Probably just some queer effect of the wind in the mouth of the cave, right? You know, like an optical illusion for your ears?" His face signals that he's not entirely convinced.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:51 pm

"Maybe the ground is creaking? You know, like old houses?" Willy says, clutching his rifle. "Lets not go down there. Did anyone find a phone to HQ? There might be something around here. Otherwise, do we wait this out?"

[End Scene 2]

[Begin Scene 3]
Scene 3 Roles:

Narrator: Theo
Witness: Ian
Watchers: Heath

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:34 am

As the German line moved further away from the squad, explosions and screams chasing the dead and dying, the squad holed up in the crater. Finding comfortable sleeping spots wherever possible, the squad settled down to restlessly toss the night away, and reassess in the morning.

"Willy, I want you to 2nd watch. " O'Rouke said, having somewhat taken command of the squad. "I'm taking first watch."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:18 am

Willy muttered in assent.

What's the bloody point, Willy thought to himself. Not like we'll get any fuckin' sleep right now anyway, what with weird noises come out of this mine shaft, shelling, and blood-curdling screams of the wounded...

He quivered and shook, trying to clear his mind, and settled into a small pockmark of a crater that could serve as something of a makeshift foxhole. Pulling out a bag of tobacco and some papers, he quietly rolled a cigarette, counting to 1-10 over and over in an attempt to calm his nerves and distract himself from the horrors around him.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:06 pm

The smell of cordite settled over the crater, mixing in with the ever present musk of sweat, blood and rotting flesh. Despite the tension and stress of the day, Willy managed to relax long enough to pass into a fitful sleep, plagued by dreams.

After some time, Willy woke to the sensation of O'Rourke quietly shaking him. The Irishman seemed shaken, dull green eyes wide in confusion and fear.

"Willy!" He hissed. "Something's happened!"

It took a moment to notice the differences. The first thing that was noticeable was the smell. While the pungent, sweet smell of the bodies in the crater still stained the air, the smell was... thinner. The air was cooler, and without the stifling humidity to which Willy was accustomed. There was also a light tinge of something... floral?

It was then Willy noticed the second difference. The sky, normally dark and dull with fog and smoke, was bright with the twinkle of stars, blues, yellows and purples staining the sky. However, it was the two moons, hanging slow in the sky, that captured Willy's attention. The smaller one, pockmarked with craters, was a dull grey. The other, however, was a sickly, splotched shade of red, with wispy strands of brown clouds wrapping the moon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:48 am

"What...what the hell?"

Willy rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and stared at the moons with his mouth agape. Naturally, his first instinct was to believe he was dreaming, and so he began to shrug it off.

The cold feel of the earth under him, and the complex scents in the air though...it was impossible. He was really sensing these things, not dreaming them.

Bloody bizarre, the things shell shock can do to the brain mused Willy, blinking in disbelief.

"Kearn...do you see that, in the sky?" He tried to keep his voice level, but a note of incredulity and unease crept in. He wanted to confirm whether anyone else was seeing this, or just him...

Awaiting his response, Willy guardedly looked around to see if his other trench mates were still there, as well as to observe his surroundings. He felt like a mouse peeping around a corner on the lookout for a cat...and was made only more uncomfortable by the fact that he had no idea what to expect, what with two damned moons in the sky.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   Yesterday at 3:31 am

"I know, right?" Kearn's usual attitude was gone, lost in sheer confusion. "Fuck me, two moons?"

Looking around, Willy notices that the crater is still there, mostly as he remembered. Foxholes, benches, dead bodies and his apparently sleeping squad mates, all where he remembered them. Pools of congealed blood and rainwater sat in depressions on the ground, and boxes of equipment littered the ground as if thrown haphazardly. Nothing obviously wrong.

O'Rourke pulled him up, firmly directing him to the lip of the crater. "Look, over the top. I don't think even God knows where we are."

As Willy leans against the walls of the crater, O'Rourke gesturing widely, an unfamiliar vista opened up. Gone were the fields of war, trenches wire and mud. Instead, Willy peered out onto an empty landscape. Mild hills, covered sparsely in deep violet flora, stretched as far as the eyes can see.

"And look, the hole!" Kearn said, patting Willy's arm and pointing behind them. Turning, it's now easy to see what he was referring to. Where once there was a hole, steel frame and engine situated over the top like some overweight spider, was replaced with steps. Steps, spiralling down into the dark, snaking down the side of the hole.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1   

Back to top Go down

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Part 1
Page 1 of 1