A Community for Gamers, by Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

On the Edge of Expanion (IC)

Go down 
+2
Carnelian
Iron and Metal
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Fio'ui Aloalts smiled. He wasn't particularly fond of the memories of the orks. They were rife with tragedy and bloodshed, but those who experienced Fi'rios did something wonderful for the Greater Good. That was all any Tau could ever ask for.

"Can you imagine sending a team on a mission for a Meganob's rusty repeater or fizzing, malfunctioning power-klaw? Makes about as much sense as sending envoys to parley with the ignorant brutes." He sighed and looked beyond Elanro out past the open workshop into the low desert valley that stretched for miles and miles. It was quite a view. Elanro's question brought him back to reality.

"Now you truly speak in jest. It isn't as though I somehow go through another when handing out our extremely limited supply of arms. Especially specialty arms like a railgun. You know how stingy he is. 'Zoggin' git' is right, my friend."

He leaned in close so that no others could hear. "Now, you bring in evidence that you actually need that type of firepower - hard evidence - and I can bypass his authority on merit of an immediate danger to the settlement."

Even friends had to follow protocol, but it was clear that the Fio'ui was a true friend. Not every tau would lay out how to fudge the rules in order to bypass a superior.

Post Avail: Daily over Summer
Back to top Go down
https://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 12:54 am

Vra'fa had a wan smile on her face as she walked alongside the elder Fire warrior. It was the irony of her choice. The one place she wanted to avoid amongst all others was the battlefield. And yet in order to try and limit future battles or war, she had signed up as an envoy, the role in which a Water caste was most likely to be forced to visit one. No, she thought, her face changing into a frown, forced was definitely the wrong word. Of all those on a battlefield an envoy was not someone who would be forced to make a really difficult decision. The burden on the warriors was far greater.
She looked up at Elanro as he continued to speak. He had seen thousands of his caste die, and likely among those, multiple friends and colleagues, his brothers and sisters. All taken from him in the most violent of ways. She felt her resolve tighten. This is what she was here for. For the Greater Good of the Tau Empire she would prevent future bloodshed and conflict and bring peace. This path would lead her one day to a battlefield. And on that day she would have to face the horror and the bloodshed..... Images flashed into her brain and her stomach jerked and only his presence next to her, prevented her from getting sick all over the ground. She could do this. She could do this.

His next words washed over her a little as she tried to focus and lose the feeling of lightheadedness. To hear him speak in such a familiar way about Orks was a strange experience. The great bogie men, stories to scare children, in a way they had never seemed completely real to her.
His last point about warriors always wanting to kill brought her out of her reverie. There were some exceptions perhaps in the alien races, but she didn't believe every warrior always wanted to kill. In their hearts, everyone preferred peace to war, conflict was just a situation in which you were forced, due to a variety of reasons to participate. She was going to say her thoughts on this when he suddenly moved away, saying that he wished to speak to a friend.

"I will introduce myself to the others and rejoin you there."
He was already striding away, his pace suddenly much quicker now that he no longer had to keep up with her. She smiled as she watched him go. He had already shifted from her initial expectations. It would be interesting to get to know him better. She turned back towards where she had been directed and moved slowly towards the shining metal vehicle and the three figures standing beside it.

As she stumped closer, she saw that one was a large Kroot, with an impressively sized.... that must be a Kroot hound right? Her heart started to beat a little faster and the smile returned to her face. Like the Fire warrior, she had never had the chance to interact personally with a Kroot before. Inwardly she hoped that he would be joining them on their mission. He was a giant though, the closer she got, the more impressed she was with his size. Somehow whenever she had seen images or in the far distance in Dal'yth she had never really understood their size. The hound was almost as all as she was and definitely weighed more. Idly she wondered if she could make friends with it or if that might be a severe breach of etiquette.

The other figure was clearly an earth caste, slightly smaller than her and paler skinned than any Tau she had met since Fio'la Jol'xil. Her heart bounced slightly and she felt herself flush. Not now Vra'fa, concentrate. This must be the pupil that the Fio'ui had mentioned. She looked about the same age as her, or maybe a little older, and smaller than she had imagined. In fairness though, it wasn't difficult to look small next the Kroot.

She stopped a couple of feet before them and took a couple of deep breaths, both to regain her composure and due to a little weariness from the journey. Her leg was hurting more than normal. If possible she should probably see the medic before she left and remember to take along some spare medication. Hui'lala hovered over her right shoulder constantly scanning the environment.

Looking back up, she leaned on her stick and smiled at both of them, an excited glitter in her eyes.
"Good day and greetings. I am Por'la Vra'fa. I understand than an expedition is being put together which will include roaming the frontier? If so I am happy to say that I will be joining you."
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 3:57 am

[With Aloalts]

"I'll keep an eye out brother. Railguns should be easy to justify if we find some critters with... unnatural toughness.You wouldnt happen to have a helmet-mount pict recorder? Would certainly help accumulating any evidence."

"And while where there, I'll make sure that the kids dont miss anything important. And miss anything too dangerous."
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 8:15 am

[With Fio'ui Aloalts]

The engineer reached out and took Elanro's helmet without asking permission, such was his familiarity. Although, from their time spent together, Elanro had come to understand and anticipate his old friend's semi-impulsiveness.

"Are your optics recorders and transmitters not working?" He made some quick fixes. "Should be good now."

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2018 4:26 pm

"Thank brothers, that's been acting up for weeks. Well, I better go make sure the kids dont blow themselves up."

Elanro walked towards the group to join them.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 1:12 am

Gorthrax shifted to get a better view of the new comer who assumed to be part of his hunting party, as he turned to the side his burn scars running up his side are brought into view. Apart from the pilot he hadn’t asked for help and judging by her look and attire she was an water caste envoy, what use on such an expedition? Noticing he still clutched the box of meds to his side he placed them in his leather satchel before returning his attention to Por’la Vra’fa. She was frail and weak like the earth caste and carried a cane. Was he being set up to fail, his eyes and brow narrowed at the thought, would Angpak do such a thing? All the while he stared at Vra’fa a range of emotions played across his face; annoyance, fear, apprehension and finally resignation.

“This is a hunting expedition?”
Gorthrax replied, it was hard to tell if that was a statement or a question “I’m not sure I need an envoy. We go find worthy meat, I kill or tame. That’s it.”
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 2:32 am

The Kroot moved first, his body turning towards her and she noticed for the first time that a significant area up one side was badly burnt, scarred deep into the skin. Her eyes widened and she gripped the rounded top of her stick so hard, the thin ligaments on her hand stood out. It was horrific, the pain caused by that.... unimaginable. And he still stood here, willing to do his bit for the Greater Good. So many were sacrificing. She quivered slightly on the spot. While she watched, he put away a box of meds he had been carrying, probably very vital for him.

Vra'fa moved her eyes back up to see a range of emotions flicker across his face. It looked like he might be annoyed or maybe nervous by her appearance. She was more used to the former than the latter, but there were some who read into her envoy robes a position of some additional authority she did not have. Some confusion crossed her face though when he mentioned hunting expedition, she glanced at the earth caste and then back at the Kroot. She had understood that their mission was a specific undertaking by the Fio'ui's pupil.

She gave them both a rather rueful smile.
"I have to admit, I was only given a very limited overview of the expedition, namely that it would be roaming along the frontier, and none of its actual specifics. Its very probable that you will not need me, but there is a small chance that while there you may meet sentient life. That area is yet to be surveyed in any great detail. If we do meet something, it is important that I am there for first contact."

She paused and looked between both of them.
"I'm aware that it may be a bit of a nuisance to take me along but I will strive to not be an inconvenience to either of you. May I ask you both your given names?"
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 10:46 am

Elanro walked towards the group, activating his helmet-cam on the way. He barged into the group, interrupting everyone:

"Well folks, should we get going? The piranha has an open top, we dont want to be in it at noon with the sun beating down. It's either now or in another half-rotation."

Elanro then walked away to the piranha ignoring anyone who tried to answer and went to check the supplies in the piranha, to see if they had enough food, water and portable shelter should the piranha break down, get damaged or stolen. Orks would loot this in a second.
Back to top Go down
Litschi

Litschi

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 10:59 am

Ar'Tol makes detailed digital sketches of Bok while the fire warrior rushed around. Na'No looked at him with suspicion. Somehow relieving that there will be a fire warrior with us.

"Hi .. I am Fio'La Na'No. You are the first air caste to hunt with a Kroot."  Embarrassed laugh. She admired Water Warrior for her grace, but could never understand how these neat creatures managed to tell so vividly each time. Actually Na'No hoped that the eloquent water Tau took over the conversation. After a short pause, she looked sheepishly aside. She called for her drone Ar'Tol, who immediately inserted himself into the empty Gun-Drone cradle. "One drone space is still free." she shouted rather soft. Na'no checked the wiring again and made sure the pulse carbine was connected.

She skilfully swung herself into the space to steer the vehicle and adjusted the seat to its size.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:57 am

"Gorthrax..." was all he managed before the fire warrior barged in, said his piece and then made ready at the piranha. It was good at least one of the Tau would be capable in a scrap.

Was he ready? No he was not, he had hoped to go back to his hut and hit the sky. At the thought he placed a protective hand on his satchel, his 'medicine' within. That aside he was ready, Kroot always were, although he was sometimes forgetful. He congratulated himself as this time he had left his hut with what a Kroot should always have with them; trail rations, water, hunting knife and his rifle. He even had some scraps of dried meat for Bok.

His head was still a little slow so he struggled to think up an excuse to return to his hut for a few days, in resignation his shoulders slump a little. He would have to leave with them now. Still the water caste thought there was a chance of meeting a native people, Gorthrax looks down at Var'fa "Yes, and important I am there if they are hostile. Perhaps they are good for eating."

His gaze then shifted to the vehicle and a low short whistle escapes his beak as he points at the storage area at the back, Bok could sit in that he supposed. Loyal and obedient to a fault Bok bounds up onto the piranha, his clawed feet scratching the paint work slightly. He then settles down finding himself a comfortable spot amongst the supplies. Gorthrax eyes his seat reluctantly, he'd fit but it wasn't going to be comfortable.
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Vra'fa couldn't help but give a broad smile to Gorthrax and Na'no as Elanro strode determinedly towards the Piranha.
"Our energetic fourth is Shas'la Elanro."
Flicking her eyebrows impishly she added,
"Our party continues to grow....."

She then turned to Na'no and looked at her with some curiosity. She had rather expected the Fio'la to mention something about her specific task on the frontier but instead she had made a joke. Perhaps it was nothing or perhaps it wasn't. She decided that she would ask the Earth caste about it in private later. She sounded a little nervous. Grinning back at the other Tau, Vra'fa said
"The first and last most probably. I can already feel my ancestors shaking their heads with shame."

She had been about to follow the Earth caste towards the Piranha when the Kroot spoke again. Her face grew more serious as she considered his words. Gorthrax seemed to be of a similar mindset to Elanro when it came to meeting outsiders. It was true that they were both her elders, and had a lot of experience when it came to conflict, but they were also both warriors and had a particular viewpoint.
She looked up at him and replied with careful moderation.
"If they are hostile it will be essential that you are here with us. However if we do meet a native people we must use very careful judgement. A new ally could potentially add a lot to the lives of everyone living here."

Hearing Na'no mention about the free space, she turned towards the drone hovering at her side and pointed towards the Piranha.
"Hui'lala you have a spot all reserved to yourself."

Everything was moving rather fast now and she couldn't help but get caught up in the excitement of it all. She would really be going out to the frontier now. What had seemed likely to in all honesty be a quiet day had suddenly transformed. She felt a twinge of guilt that she wouldn't be seeing the medic today. As the bone was still healing she was meant to visit him weekly and it was coming on a week and a half now, but that couldn't be helped now. Reaching down to her belt, she gave the top of Anda's head a little squeeze. It should be ok. What was another couple of days?
However there was one thing she couldn't afford to forget, especially as the time scale for this expedition was so vague. Moving slowly over to the front of the Piranha she looked up at Na'no who was settling herself into the drivers seat and gave her an apologetic look.

"Fio'la Na'no, could we perhaps make a very brief stop at my quarters before we set out? Not realising  that we would be leaving the settlement so soon, I left my medication behind. Its quite important that I take it daily"
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Elanro finds the storage space adequately packed for the mission at hand. There were extra rations of water stored in puncture proof packs. There was a portable shelter kit, currently the size of a fist that would provide enough cover for the four of them when activated. There was a small case of nutrient cubes, each of which could sustain a single tau for over three days and other odds and ends necessary for an outing in unknown territory.

Survival Kit:

The morning suns were starting to rise higher in the sky, but there was a lot of day and night left. As fate would have it, the cycles on Neg'em were very similar to T'au - 15 hour rotaa (day/night cycle) - which allowed every Tau to get their necessary 1-2 decs (1.5 - 3 terran hours) of sleep.

The TX5 hummed to life with a simple touch of Na'no's hand. Intricate holographic displays popped up giving her readings on all of the important systems housed within the vehicle. While much more efficient than Imperial counterparts, its fuel source was not infinite, but thankfully it read "full." Both drones easily slid into their housing ports. The port on the right hand side readjusted as the escort drone, smaller by half than a standard gun drone, moved in. It hovered above the ground quietly, efficiently, and ready.

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Before boarding Gorthrax turns to Vra'fa "As you say employer of mine, you're paying the bills" he clicks and whistles in Kroot. He gives one final critical look at his soon to be cramped seat before jumping in.

Yep thats tight

Once settled he raises his voice over the hum of the craft reverting back to Tau "There is oasis far to the south, the beasts I seek are there. Water, 'life' often brings others to its shores, perhaps you'll find your 'strong meat' there Vra'fa." Gorthrax offers "A good starting point?"
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 11, 2018 1:48 am

Vra'fa was staring at the side of the floating Piranha and trying to decide how she might manoeuvre herself inside. She wasn't particularly graceful when it came to climbing and she didn't particularly want to end up on her back just as they were starting out. She was just about to make an attempt when Gorthrax started to speak. Initially she was thrown by the clicks and whistles but with a whirring vibration in her belt, her Polygot Hedron activated and in a quiet voice she could only hear, translated the words back to her. Turning her head, she gave the Kroot a long meditative look, and considered his words. To her they sounded like a fit of pique. Earlier he had spoke as if it was his hunting expedition and now he was shifting the authority to her. It was interesting that he decided to do this in his native tongue, cutting out their two companions and keeping the conversation between them. Was this a dominance thing? Perhaps her earlier thought might have been right, he was reading too much into her uniform. In any case, this wasn't a particularly useful use of energy. He might be ceding the point to her, but as much as she wanted a chance to prove herself and succeed, this wasn't worth it. As a small team travelling out to the frontier, they needed to come together and work together in harmony to be the most effective. All their skills were valuable. She whispered her reply, and the Hedron translated her words into Kroot.

"The Tau'va only ever asks for one kind of payment from us, its brothers and sisters."
She titled her head slightly and gave him a small smile before turning back to the ship and reverting back to Tau.
"Now prepare yourself to witness some incredible acrobatics and poise."

Settling herself she moved over to the craft. The side was hovering about chest height for her. First she tossed her stick and then more gently pushed her Polygot Hedron until it dropped into the seat directly behind Na'no. Bending her broken leg and lifting it off the ground, she put both her hands on the smooth sides of the Piranha. She closed her eyes, waited a second and then jumped with her standing foot pushing off at the same time. Her hip banged into the edge of the craft, and her face and chest was flattened uncomfortably into the warm metal, while her good leg kicked at empty air. Grunting, and through a combination of pushing with her hands and wiggling her body managed to move up until she could grasp the lip of her seat. Pulling with her hands she finally managed to hoist her legs over the edge and then with her good foot, push herself up to a sitting position next to her chosen seat. Her face was flushed and she was panting, but she grinned at all of them.
"And that my friends is how you board a Piranha."

She busied herself manoeuvring into the seat, taking special attention not to bang her leg and then pulling the belts over her shoulders and clicking them together in an x over her chest. Gorthrax spoke again and she twisted in her seat to turn and look at him. She was tempted to turn to Na'no behind her but decided against it. The Earth caste would speak when she wanted to.

"It definitely sounds a likely possibility to find other life. Thank you for your consideration Gorthrax. If as in all probabilities I strike out, I hope that you at least find beasts worthy of your skill as a hunter."
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 11, 2018 5:15 am

Elanro watched Vra'fa's acrobatic entering of the Piranha. Though his helmet hid it, he was unimpressed. Elanro looked around, found the Piranha-mounting stepladder (otherwise known as the sane way to enter any vehicle without doors or a mounting ladder), brought it beside the vehicle, climbed up in a safe and dignified fashion, then slipped into his seat.

"You're needlessly complicating your life kid" he said to Vrafa. He then stowed his excess gear and promptly got comfortable in his seat. He would wait until they got going before taking a nap.
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 11, 2018 12:12 pm

Out of the corner of her eye Vra'fa saw Elanro moving, and twisted in her seat to watch what he was doing. When she saw him wheel over the step ladder, her eyes first widened in surprise and then as the pointlessness of her last action was made clear, started to giggle while shaking her head at herself.

She grinned over at him as he took his seat, her eyes bright with amusement.
"It seems I have much to learn when it comes to climbing aboard Elanro. My entry seems doubly embarrassing now."

Turning back to the front, she reached inside her robes to retrieve a brush and absently attempted to clean the dust and grime she had picked up while sliding over the side of the Piranha, smiling happily all the while. The back of Na'no's head was moving as she adjusted something in the cockpit. They would most probably be off soon, well at least hopefully after stopping off at her place first. Time to see what lay beyond the settlements walls.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 11, 2018 5:07 pm

Elanro sighed under his helmet. She hadn't understood at all. She had missed the forest fort the trees. He thought about trying to get his point across more directly, but it seemed like a lot of effort and Work Smarter Not Harder was one of those lessons you had to learn the hard (and unfortunately not smart) way for it to sink in.

He buckled himself in and stowed his pulse rifle for quick access.

"Well, let's get going folks. We're wasting daylight"
Back to top Go down
Litschi

Litschi

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 8:43 am

Na'No was excited to drive the little group of strangers into the outback. Even though she has never drove a TX5 herself, she knew exactly how to drive this darling. Na'No wondered what kind of medicine Vra'fa needed. Of course, she had noticed her fragile figure and her damaged leg. "Okay, we're going straight to the Water Caste Quarters, just stopping at the entrance." She knew the way to the Quarters well, but also a blue glowing path on the holodeck showed her the way.

The rough nature of Elanro intimidated her. I can be braver. Do not be so intimidated. After all, he was a respect person. And there was a chance that he had meet Commander Shadowsun. Smiling Na'No looked at his helmet in the rearview mirror.

Since, unexpectedly, an escort drone was on the front right, Ar'Tol 17 had to place himself next to her in the footwell without blocking the controls.

Gorthrax took a lot of space next to her. Na'No tried to be careful while driving in the curves thinking of Bok in the storage space. And just as she started talking, the Water Caste quarters were already in sight. "Gorthrax, can you pass me the coordinators from the southern oasis. That is the place to go next, right?." Her eyes were fixed to the pebbly path.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 6:23 pm

It takes Vra'fa no time to get out of the TX5 this time. Na'no hovers her finger over a holographic interface and a step ladder extends out of the side of the vehicle. When she is finished gathering the rest of what she will need for the journey, the vehicle takes off smoothly.

A green icon shines on the main console in front of Na'no as they approach the main gate. There is no fire warrior on duty yet. A portion of the wall effortlessly slid into itself. It was through here that the group rode. Once they were through the wall reformed and a single drone patrolled atop. The lack of security spoke volumes to the confidence with which the tau this far out carried themselves. That, or it spoke to much more common problems associated with settlements that no one dared bring up - namely lack of resources and taupower.

The road down the cliff as winding and would have been bumpy if the vehicle had relied on more primitive propulsion and suspension systems. The TX5 handled it very well. It glided and surfed across the terrain as though it were perfectly flat, automatically leveling itself out for its riders convenience. The farther down you go, the thinner and thinner the vegetation becomes until it only strong, hardy bushes remain.

By the time you reach the bottom of the cliffs hard earth and rock spread out before you for hundreds of miles in every direction. Knowing that this was what T'au, the home planet of the Empire, looked like at one time is enough to fill any tau with a sense of wonderment.

With a destination in mind, the group heads off toward the horizon...

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 1:03 am

Gorthrax regarded the position of the sun "I do not have co-ordinates." he replied to Na'no "but if you measure two knuckles on the horizon from the place the second sun rises that is our destination." to 'help' Gorthrax held up his hand and measured it out, his hand was clearly much larger than the small earth castes.

After a moment of perhaps bewildered expression from Na'no Gorthrax points "Its that way. I do not know how many days as I do not run as fast as this vehicle."
Back to top Go down
Litschi

Litschi

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 8:10 am

Na'No giggled while Gorthrax waves his paws around. Normally she is not the best navigator but in this case the data showed in the same direction as Gorthrax was pointing. "The System told us the same way. Based on the data and the appearance of water sources found on this planet." The system projected a pathway in that specific direction onto an hologram to the right side of Na'No. An almost roguish expression rushed through her face while she was thinking about the primitive Technologies that Kroot are using. "It should not need longer than one day."

She felt so much freedom riding through this empty rocky pathway. This is beautiful. So much better than the overfilled Sa'Cea. Her hair flittered in the wind. What is your home planet Por'La Vra'Fa? She noticed that Vra'Fa hasn't had the chance to introduce herself. She only had heard her name by the others before.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 8:22 am

Seeing they where on their way, Elanro decided to start his nap, sitting bolt-straight in the chair as usual. With the group they had, he didn't expect he would get much sleep during the survey. The time to accumulate was now!
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 3:03 pm

A part of Vra'fa had been very tempted to slide down the side of the Piranha. Not only would it have been faster but it would have proven that she could do it. She should be able to after all. The throbbing which started as soon as she rose however helped dampen her giddy mood. Going down the ladder was difficult enough, and she had to grip the rails hard with both hands as she slowly hopped down with her good foot. In reality to attempt the slide would have most likely crippled her, at least for a couple of days and caused her to miss this excursion and she would sacrifice much more to prevent this.

Limping through her door, she moved over to the utilitarian reprocessed wooden cupboard by her bed roll and slid open the top drawer. There were only two items inside. The first, a purple cloth pull string bag containing her medication, was quickly withdrawn and tied to her belt. Her hand shook slightly over the second though, a roll of dark blue paper tied with a yellow ribbon and still sealed. Por'la Prin'taga's message. It had been five months since she had been handed it and she still hadn't been able to bring herself to either read it or destroy it. A familiar mixture of anger, sadness and guilt flowed through her as his name repeated in her head. Closing her eyes, she reached out and tucked the missive into an inside pocket of her robes.
A couple of seconds later she was closing her door and making her way back to the Piranha, her rolled up sleeping mat, strapped over one shoulder. Her face was more restrained than earlier as she hopped up the ladder, stowed her mat and resumed her seat.

Her mood livened up as they made their way down the cliff and as they reached the bottom, she was craning out her seat against the straps, staring in wide eyed wonder at the vast spreading plains before them. As Na'no and Gorthrax started to discuss navigation, she started to giggle and had to hold a hand up to mouth to try and contain it. There was something so comical but also heartwarming about their different approaches. Neither was necessarily wrong or right, she had no way of knowing in any case, but the fact that they were both working together despite their differing backgrounds made her heart bounce. This was the glory of the Tau'va.

She was still grinning in a happily unrestrained manner at the back of both their heads when Na'no directed a question at her.
"I come from Dal'yth Fio'la Na'no. Its a very different world to the one we find ourselves on now. I don't think I've ever seen so much untamed nature. They say T'au was once like this..... It's amazing to see something like this in person."

She raised an eyebrow at the back of the Earth Castes head, despite knowing that the other wouldn't see it and grinned impishly.
"Where do you originally hail from? If I was to guess I would say somewhere with quite a hot sun?"
Back to top Go down
Litschi

Litschi

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 12:51 am

Na'No nodded her head. "Very hot indeed. My origin is Sa'Cea. It's next to Dal'yth I guess, even though I have never been there before. But I can confirm that T'au looks a bit like here." Na'Na thought about Commander Puretide. She knows that Dal'yth was his homeplanet. She often read about him in texts about Shadowsun. Yet she didn't mentioned him but still there were some curiosity in her mind.

"You see the freckles in my face? I guess they become more when I'm outside in direct light for a longer time. Thats why I got so many. It's always sunny in Sa'Cea", her eyes wandered about her arms. Even the arms are speckled. The appearance from Vra'Fa was eyesome, that stand out in a mile. Na'No wondered how Vra'Fa could possible be so tidy even with her obvious handicap, as she notices the soil on her own hands.
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 4:09 am

"You come from Sa'cea? Wow. I didn't think that you would be such a close neighbour. Similar to you though I've never been to your homeworld though some of my classmates hailed from there. It is very militarised as far as I understand?"
Her eyes widened at Na'no next words and excited interest was clearly heard in her voice.
"You have been to T'au.... What's it like? What did you do there!"

Na'no had sounded so relaxed and calm when she spoke. It was so cool to be able to say something like that. Despite her clearly young age she was also an experienced campaigner. Vra'fa felt a growing respect for the Earth caste in front of her.
Truth to be told, this marked only the second time she had travelled away from her home world. The three around her had doubtless visited many worlds. While she would have loved to appear more expert, to show that she was more than a broken child, this was not an opportunity for her. She would have to be patient, at some point she would get the chance to show her skills.

She smiled as Na'no mentioned her freckles.
"My classmates from Sa'cea were similar. I always wanted freckles, but it doesn't really happen on Dal'yth. Our sun is quite gentle."
She stretched out her right forearm pulling back the sleeves of her robe, so she could see the plain and smooth dark blue skin. Splaying her fingers out, she moved them back and forth absently watching the ligaments move beneath her skin.
"Apparently all the vegetation on Dal'yth used to be a very similar shade to this. Some believe its something in the water, an over abundance of certain nutrients."

She was still very curious about what the Na'no's task on this excursion was. Elanro looked like he was still asleep but Gorthrax was clearly still awake, so now wouldn't really be the time to ask. However there was a relatively innocent question she could ask.
Leaning forward, she brought both her palms together and propped them under her chin.
"Out of interest, what are you most looking forward to on this excursion? My only experiences travelling out like this have been very different. One meeting was delayed by three hours as our B'kak'fannor wouldn't start until our hosts could locate a particular flower"
She had said this with good humour, but there was a trace of bitterness underneath this.

(B'kak'fannor- Slightly archaic- Water Caste Leader of a trading caravan)
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 5:28 am

Vra'fa and Na'no's nattering annoyed Gorthrax although he gave no outward sign that it did so, other than to ignore them both. They sounded like two song birds on the first day of spring and their lightheartedness grated against him. This was a serious endeavor, a hunt was always so, they made it sound like something less. He had no words for 'holiday', but that was what it sounded they thought we were going on. Perhaps it was to them.

At the end of the day Gorthrax was a mercenary as all kroot were so he was 'content' to suck it up. Not wanting to fully turn around from his front seat as he may get sucked into the conversation he just takes a side ways glance at Na'no... he was sure the earth caste and Vra'fa would get in over their heads and it would be him that would have to pull them out. Did they know what they might be getting themselves in for? They were being looked after by a drug addled kroot, despite his black mood the humour of the situation broke though for a moment and out of nowhere Gorthrax lets out a laugh a sharp barking like noise.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 7:31 am

Hearing a beastly bark, Elanro snapped out of his nap and in a fraction of a section had his Pulse Rifle trained on the source of noise. A gentle turn of the head showed that it was, in fact, the head of the Kroot accompanying them, and he lowered his weapon from the kroot's head.

"Be careful making noises like a critter, you sounded exactly like a zogging squig there!" His voice was rough and grumpy, showing irritation.

"You better better not sound like that in the wild, I might mistake you for a critter."
His voice was reproachfull, showing his belief that the kroot should have known better.
Back to top Go down
Litschi

Litschi

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 8:26 am

"Yes, there are many good fire soldiers originated in Sa'cea." Na'no felt really comfortable talking to the water caste. "I've been to T'au from time to time as we had the opportunity to learn from other earth castes, specialized in different mechanics. I mostly focussed my works on stealth..." Abruptly she stopped speaking as Gorthrax made a weird noise. When the fire warriors points his weapon directly at the Kroot, Na'No felt really uncomfortable. This would be the perfect moment to disappear. Her hands grabbed the TX4 handles as tight as possible and she focussed on the pathway. She immediately checked all the rocks nearby which would give a perfect surrounding to hide herself. The feeling of Ar'Tol next to her gave a tiny sense of security but still she felt anxious about the situation.
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 9:24 am

Vra'fa was listening intently while Na'no spoke of her time on T'au. Her mother had been there a couple of times as a visiting professor and her stories had always fascinated the young water caste. Their original home planet- where everything began. Some day she hoped for the chance to look apon its vast plains, to drink its water and to learn from all the knowledge that was there too of course.

Na'no was interrupted by a sharp barking noise from the Kroot in front of her. He was laughing at something. Was it something they had said? She could understand that their conversation might seem a little silly to him. Smirking, she was just about to ask him what he found humorous when there was a sudden sharp movement from close to her and Elanro was pointing his weapon at Gorthrax.

The smile on her face died immediately and she stared wide eyed at the Fire Warrior's weapon as it pointed inside the cabin. It seemed so much larger in this confined space, dominating it more than any of their words had. Her heart was thumping inside her chest, its beat filling her ears. Laying her hands flat on the side of the Piranha and forcing herself to calm, she looked up at the Fire Warrior and spoke, her voice flat and emotionless.

"Shas'la Elanro, there are no enemies of yours aboard this Piranha. If you could please put your weapon down and refrain yourself from pointing it at other members of our group while in flight, we would all deeply appreciate it."
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Gorthrax was surprised at Elanro's reaction. He turned in his seat to look at the pulse rifle being lowered from a bead on his head. He hadn't spoken to the fire warrior as of yet and had paid him little heed. The Tau had remained encased in his armour, helm in place so he had no idea that he was ancient. Had Elanro never heard a kroot laugh before? Gorthrax would have been even more surprised had he known his age, but on the other hand he wasn't aware he'd been napping.

"You not heard Kroot laugh before?"

Gorthrax wasn't at all intimidated by the display, partly due to his kroot heritage and also due to the mellowing affects of his drug use. He gives Elanro a flat gaze.
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 3:33 pm

"I have NEVER hear a Kroot laugh. I've heard a kroot speak, roar, cough, scream, ululate, whistle, even once heard a kroot get diced from the inside out. A gruesome, if effective object lesson on wearing pants. In any case, your kin tend to be pretty grim and serious in my experience."

Noticing their pilot's distracted scrambling for the controls, he said:

"Brace for impact everyone!"
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2018 1:56 pm

The sudden bark and the weapon pointed at an ally was enough to fully take Na'no's attention away from piloting the TX5. She looks back at the road just in time to see a tall rock poking out of the hard earth. She quickly jinks the vehicle to one side. The gravity rejectors overcompensate, pushing the vehicle hard to the right while maintaining flight.

There is a loud pop. Warning icons begin to flash on the screen in front of Na'no. Apparently an internal gas-line had come free. The vehicle slowst - an automatic precaution to prevent further damage.

Until the line was fixed, you would be moving at half the pace.

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2018 3:49 pm

"Fiouf, no crash, you're already better than most Air caste pilots Fio'La!"

Elanro ensured he was wall strapped in, then started talking to the kid.

"As for you kid, you'll thank me when it's something dangerous. Better get used to it, cause the choice is between the occasional gun to the face and death. Constant vigilance is the price of safety. Well, that and sealed armor. I dont want a Snotling climbing up my anus!"

During his speech, his voice was a tad more emotive that the usual grumpy monotone. "Constant vigilance" was given a lot of emphasis. The last two sentences almost sounded a bit... lighter, as if he where trying (and royally failing) at deriving humor from the described situation.
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Vra'fa was looking across at Elanro as he lowered his weapon. At least it was no longer pointed at Gorthrax, but she was still uncomfortable with it aimed inside the cabin. A simple mistake at this point could have disastrous repercussions. His words about bracing confused her for a second and then she turned back to the front just in time to see the rock. Her eyes widened and she opened her mouth before they jerked right. The sudden movement threw her to the side, before her harness bit into her chest forcing all her breath out and her head snapped hard to the right. For a second her vision was all white and then slowly the stars started to recede. Dimly she was aware of the pain in her chest but she ignored it for the moment while she got her bearings again.

The Piranha was definitely moving slower now, even to one as inexperienced as her to these craft, it was noticeable. Leaning forward she looked over Na'no's shoulder to see warning icons on the screen. They meant nothing to her so she turned to the Earth caste and asked in a steady voice
"Fio'la Na'no, good work on avoiding that rock. Especially considering the distractions aboard. Is there an issue with the Piranha?"

Turning back she looked at the Fire Warrior and continued in the same calm tone.
"Shas'la Elanro, I doubtless will have many causes to thank you over this excursion for your constant vigilance. When it comes to dealing with dangerous situations Gorthrax and yourself are the experts and I will trust my life to your expertise. However while we are in flight, I will ask you not to point your weapon inside the craft unnecessarily. I trust now that you recognise the sound of a Kroot laughing and this noise will not startle you in the future."

Her voice was composed as she said this and she gave no particular emphasis to any of the words. As her right hand slipped underneath her harness to rub at her soon to be bruising skin, she raised an eyebrow at Elanro.
"What exactly is a Snotling by the way? I'm guessing its not something I particularly want investigating my anus?"
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2018 4:33 pm

"Snotlings are these tiny orkoids, they look helpless but are surprisingly violent. We were walking through an ork-held area with a squad of Kroots, wearing those skirty-things. We were passing through an area with lots of small holes in the ground, we thought is was animals or something. Then, suddenly, a small orkoid (Snotling I know now) jumped out of a hole, climbed up an overhead kroot's leg, and somehow penetrated his cloaca. That little bastart blended him from the inside; there was no way to kill the Snotling without killing the kroot. When it finally burst out of the Kroot's beak, we shot it. It's knife couldnt even score Kroot skin, but from the inside..."

He let that final image sink in.
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2018 5:23 pm

It didn't feel like any of her bones were broken. The skin still felt sensitive though and the straps would probably leave a mark of some kind. It wouldn't be permanent though and that was to be thanked. She knew she had a bad habit of taking her body lightly and the scars that littered her spoke of a childhood where she was never far from another visit to the infirmary. The Earth Caste medic who examined her following her recent leg break on the way back from the disastrous trade delegation had been openly rattled, inquiring if she was attached to a combat squad. Inwardly Vra'fa smiled. Her friendship with Piraash, as it unfolded over that month long trip back to Dal'yth, had been one of the few shining positives of that whole experience.

She looked at the Fire Warrior with interest as he told his tale. It wouldn't have been a story she would have repeated at this exact moment, but she presumed that he needed to vent and pass on a warning of caution to the others. She was glad though, that the current tension in her body prevented her from imagining any of the details too clearly. She wondered what the others were thinking. If they were anything like her, their heartbeats were still pretty high. Her eyes kept wanting to look left and check the screen and see if any additional warning messages had joined those already there but she concentrated her eyes on Elanro instead. She had to trust in the skills of Na'no and that she would tell them if there was anything serious the matter. It was most probably nothing, she tried to tell herself.

"It sounds like a particularly horrifying experience" she replied seriously.
"We shall have to hope that we don't come across even the slightest suspicion that there is an Ork presence on this planet."
Back to top Go down
Litschi

Litschi

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 2:00 pm

I... we... Are you ok? I... I am sorry.“ Na‘No stutters words as she was still in shock. She was trained in driving vehicles and did this very frequently. Even though this specific sort of was new to her, she still was unsecure about her mistake. When then TX5 was right about to crash that rock she had her mind in the clouds, still anxious about the current mood change amongst the group. When she saw the rock on the street everything kind of felt like in slow motion. Right after the ‚almost crash‘ she stopped the Piranha immediatly as she noticed all the warning windows popping up in front of her. The words from Vra‘Fa and Elanro reached her ear as she ease her heands around the handles.

Na‘No, stay focussed, by the Tau‘va!“, she whispered to herself. As she was concentrating on the icons and alerts in front of her, she only get parts of the conversation between the others. For a tiniest moment she was thinking about giving up and sending her drone back to the camp to get some help. Na‘No listend to Vra‘Fa and Elanro as they talking about older stories and suddenly she pluck up her courage and was thinking to herself I don‘t know what the fire warrior had seen in his live, neither Gortrax or Vra‘fa... But these stories... I want that too. While her eyes was fixed on the warning messages she spoke I will check the motor and everything. It should not take that long, but it seems that we are somewhat damaged. Ar‘Tol 17 whirred as he was there to assist Na‘No, while she had her nano tool ready to hand. Without a workshop nearby it would be probably not possible to fix the Piranha efficent. But still she wanted to have a closer look. At least for the feeling of making it up for it.

She cast a glance at Gorthrax, as he hadn‘t said anything after that accident.
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 4:45 pm

As she spoke, Vra'fa turned back to look at the Earth caste sitting in front of her. Na'no was stuttering as she brought the Piranha to a stop. She was clearly in a little shock following their near accident which was clearly understandable, the beating in Vra'fa's chest was only now starting to slow. Her heart went out to their pilot, and reaching over she patted Na'no lightly on the shoulder.
"Don't worry about it. I don't think any of us are injured. It's good to see you have such fast reactions."

When Na'no mentioned the damage, Vra'fa thought for a second and then reached out for the quick release button on her harness and pressed it.
"If you don't mind I'll get out and join you. I know one or two things about engines so I might be able to help you."
Pushing herself out of her seat to sit on the lip, she slowly brought up her bad leg and then the other, before turning around to face the metal top of their ship. Using her good leg as lift, she got awkwardly vertical again and then moved carefully to the exit ladder. Once she was standing on firm ground again, she took a second to catch her breath and feel the firm sandy and stony surface beneath her feet. This was a new feeling, a little similar maybe to the shorelines of the many artificial lakes on Dal'yth, but much rougher. Probably a good description for this planet as a whole, and she smiled at the thought. This was perhaps how all planets began.

With her left hand resting on the side of the Piranha for balance, she limped around until she was halfway up the right side. Their ship was standing about a meter off the ground, propped up on three sturdy looking legs. Using the ship for support, she lowered herself down, until she was lying down on the sandy ground, and then she wiggled her hips until she was properly underneath the vehicle. This movement was a little more uncomfortable than on the flat metal floor of a ship bay, owing to the stones, but she was only concentrating on the undercarriage of the Piranha, waiting as her eyes got used to the dimness.

While this might be her first flight on a vehicle such as this, and though she was generally clueless to what any of the messages on the control panel might mean, she was a lot more knowledgeable about its inner workings. She had Fio'la Piraash to thank for this, that and a dreary month long trip back from her trade delegation. As she had been sent home early, she didn't get the plush passenger vessel they had originally travelled out on, and was instead placed on a plodding freighter, transporting vehicles and other machinery. Being the only additional passenger and desperate to think of something else beyond her coming disgrace, she had quickly developed a close connection with Piraash who was the only other young Tau aboard and acting medic. Piraash had originally insisted Vra'fa kept her room to properly heal but due to a mixture of her own boredom and Vra'fa doggedly limping after her throughout the ship, it wasn't long before she accepted the inevitable and the two were soon to be found rarely apart. The Earth caste's main job was to repair and maintain various vehicles in the hold and she would explain to the wide eyed Vra'fa beside her, exactly what she was doing and why. It had been a new experience for the Water caste, to learn something completely practical and had listened intently while Piraash explained how the different systems worked. Vra'fa had never had a friend like the strong, straight talking and pragmatic Piraash and by the end of their journey she would have been very happy to remain on the freighter and do another return journey but it wasn't to be.

The slow deliberate words of her friend were in her ears as she examined the under tray, slowly moving her eyes from one section to the next. It wasn't long before she noticed something obviously array with the neat and ordered manifold.
Calling out from beneath the Piranha she said.
"Fio'la Na'no. I think one of the gas lines has come loose. From here it looks like its the secondary line, attached to the D2 filter. Otherwise I can't see any other issues from down here"
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 2:18 am

Gorthrax lurches in his seat at the sudden movement of their transport, the following noise from the engine and their reduced speed only set him off again. He laughs, this time the barking is more hearty and goes on for longer, the Kroot clasps his burnt side as the taut scar tissue is pulled against. Oh, what a cruel trick the ancestors were playing on him, he would be surprised if they lived beyond a week.

With the Piranha parked up for repairs Gorthrax rises out of his seat, they hadn't been on the road long but he'd take any excuse to stretch his legs "I'll patrol the perimeter" he said to no one particular. A sharp whistle brings Bok's head up from the cargo compartment and a gesture brings the hound to heel.

GOrthrax wanders off aways and then starts stalking a perimetre keeping his eyes to the ground, partially looking for tracks but more importantly looking the fungi he had learnt he could get a hit off.

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 7:04 am

While the two kids took care of the repairs, Elanro sat on the back hood of the vehicle, scanning the horizon for any potential signs of danger.
Back to top Go down
Litschi

Litschi

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 8:26 am

With surprise Na'No heard what Vra'fa said. She would not come to doubt what the Por'la said but still it felt unusual that a water caste would know about engines. Na'No had her tool in hand while touching some parts on a little display that was mounted on left wrist. On a little holographic, display hovering above that display, she could see the same icons and alert messages that appeared on the front of the vehicle. As she checked the D2 filter it seems that this was the problem, just like Vra'fa said. "You are just right Por'la Vra'fa. It's nothing that would be so hard to fix, even though I only have Ar'tol and my tool with me. I think it will be repaired in a deck. I’m not sure yet if the TX5 will be as fast as before but I’m glad you find the leaking source.

With this words she dived into the cables and wires in front of her. Ar’tol made some light which was almost not necessary as the sun was very bright and the Piranha has a defuse inner glow. The tinkering was exactly what Na’No loves doing. She felt very confident in fixing the leaking gas source quickly. Ar’tol buzzed around and fetched some supplies from the back storage where a small toolbox for emergencies was stored. During the work Na’No felt highly concentrated. She has complied with the tech around her and gained back her level of confident.
Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Vra'fa smiled to herself underneath the Piranha. It was pleasing to hear that she had been right after all. Piraash would be proud of her. Well truth to be told, the Earth caste would probably have just shrugged and say that any fool would have been able to spot something like that. This fool had certainly been up to the task. She wriggled back out from beneath the ship and lay for a moment in the bright sunshine, one hand raised to shade her eyes. It might have only been a couple of hours since she had risen but so much had happened. She was off base on an excursion with four new companions and the rest of the day still hung before them, excitingly unpredictable. Admittedly she had been thrown a bit by the last few minutes of their journey, what with Elanro drawing his gun, her minor confrontation with him and their subsequent accident. However the fact that she had proven herself to be of some use to the others, had served to return her mood to its prior optimism. As long as they all followed the Tau'va and worked together, there was nothing they couldn't achieve.

Once she was able to see again, she began the laborious task of getting back to her feet, holding on to the side of the ship, and using it for leverage. Standing, she looked around and found the rest of the team up to their various tasks. Gorthrax and his hound slowly moving around the ship in a large circle, Elanro sitting on the back hood and Na'no bent deep inside the front of the ship, evidently carrying out repairs. She thought for a second about joining the Kroot but figuring she would possibly spoil his work, she made her way round the back of the ship and started awkwardly climbing the ladder. As she reached the top she looked over at the old Fire Warrior.
"Anything interesting out there Shas'la Elanro?"

After waiting on his response if there was one, she moved over the the front of the ship and sat down next to Na'no and watched with interest while she effected repairs.
"How goes it in there Fio'la Na'no? To my inexperienced eye it looks like you might even repair it to a better level than it was prior? Also, feel free to just call me Vra'fa if you want. Considering its just going to be us for the next couple of days."
She paused for a moment before grinning down into the engine bay, with her eyebrows raised and continued.
"However if you decided that this wasn't informal enough and decided to refer to me as V-F or worst of all, Ra'fal be warned that I will come up with something equally as bad for you."

The latter had been a name her childhood friends had used to tease her with, her frail and often broken appearance juxtaposed against the towering strength of the huge tree's which dotted the artificial cultivation on Dal'yth. She had thrown it in as it was so obviously silly and she wanted to see if she could get Na'no to laugh.

(Ra'Fal- a combination to mean- Dishonourable tree- a childish and ridiculous combination based on its similarity to her name)
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 4:05 am

"I see nothing but the sun getting redder and the sky getting bluer." said Elanro while scanning the horizon.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 11:56 am

The suns were indeed getting redder as the dual-stars rose higher in the sky. Luckily for the group, Na'no and Vra'fa had proved themselves well prepared for in-the-field repairs. Na'no's expertise shined particularly brightly as she not only repaired the gas line, but she also noticed some other non-serious leaks and repaired those as well improving the efficiency overall [+10 to your next maneuver test].

Gorthrax sees seemingly endless desert, but nothing coming out to attack the group in their most vulnerable moment yet. He also doesn't notice any of the mushrooms he had heard could be found out here. Perhaps they had specific conditions they grew in?

Elanro gets a few more moments of rest, but soon enough the job is done and no more than half of a standard hour has passed. Before long, you are all back in the vehicle and ready to move.

-------+++++++--------

The farther you move into the great desert, the farther out the cliffs move from you in either direction. Such was the vastness of the area that even the mountains, visible from your high settlement, have stretched out of sight. In between the distant cliffs, you sail between miles and miles of hard, dry earth. Talk of the original orbital mapping, done years prior, showed that beyond this there was an even dryer stretch of vast sand dunes.

It was hot, and fluid intake was required at regular intervals to prevent dehydration. Up ahead, what looked like a giant low flying dark cloud loomed before you.

Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Elanro, spotting the storm up ahead, spoke up to the kids.

Heya kids, with the storm up ahead we should scout it out before jumping into that. You never know what a cloud hides. We got any decent scouting drones in our mounts?

Frankly, we should also settle down for the night if it dont clear up. We wont be able to see far in that pea soup.

Back to top Go down
Nitafrong
Senpai
Nitafrong

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 3:42 pm

Vra'fa was shading her eyes with one hand as she looked out of the side of the Piranha. The longer they travelled the hotter it had seemed to get. Even the wind flow coming past the side of their ship didn't seem to have much effect. As yet more sweat dripped down her back, she wondered absently what the oasis would be like. Catching herself with a grin she dismissed her fantasy as soon as it started to form in her head. An oasis here was likely to be very different from what she was used to back on Dal'yth. Elanro would probably block her getting into it anyway. He probably had no end of stories about things which attacked Tau from bodies of water. Drinking water was probably not even safe. Giggling to herself, she sat back again and closed her eyes, wondering when their next drink brake would actually be.

As the old Fire Warrior spoke, she opened her eyes again and leaned past Na'no to look at the coming cloud and then up at the rest of the sky, and at the two suns still in the mid part of their daily orbit.
"Its probably a bit early in the day to think about setting down for the night, we've still got a lot of daylight left."

She looked curiously at the cloud again.
"Would it be possible to go around the side of it? Hui'lala could go in, but i'd have to be 10-15 feet behind her so it wouldn't make much of a difference. As an escort drone, she's not really up to scouting. Does anyone here have experience what storms are like here?"
Back to top Go down
Litschi

Litschi

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 4:46 am

While driving directly onto the weird cloud formation Na'No listened to Elanros suspicion. She looked at Ar'tol 17. Her drone could possible fly in the direction without any problems. It was Na'Nos feelings for her little flying companion as the drone was personally really important to her. Like Elanro said, the cloud could hide something. For that reason she just doesn't want to let Ar'tol fly alone. "It is similiar to Vra'fas drone. Ar'tol can only operate when I'm in a short distance. I also agree on keep on moving. I guess we could pass the cloud thing but only when we plan on making a huge indirect route. This would need a new calculation"

Her level of confident was clearly on the right track as the smalltalk with Vra'fa during their expedition makes her feel really comfortable.
Back to top Go down
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 26, 2018 4:36 am

The Tau's chatter washed over Gorthrax, he largely ignored it wrapped up as he was in his growing hunger for the drugs that were 'burning a hole' in his satchel. He didn't have an out right need to get another hit right away as it was less than twenty four hours since he awoke from his last high. His come down would keep him relaxed enough for now, but he was certainly thinking about his next hit and how problematic that would be now he was assigned to this expedition.

A little bit at night, no more.

The talk of a strange cloud and setting camp so early focused him on the present for now. Rising in his seat so he stood he brought a hand up to shield his eyes from the suns. At first glance it certainly looked like a cloud but the way it shifted on the warm winds told him it was something different.

"That is no cloud, but plants floating on the winds. I have seen their kind before on another scouting trip. It looks like a cloud due to their immense numbers." he stated confidently in Tau "go around if you wish but we do not need to overly avoid it, there is no perilous weather."
Back to top Go down
Wendigo Bob

Wendigo Bob

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2018 7:31 am

I dont trust it. Looks like a lot of critters could hide in there.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin
Iron and Metal

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2018 6:18 pm

Soundtrack as you skim over the hard desert plains of Neg'em.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On the Edge of Expanion (IC)    On the Edge of Expanion (IC)  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

On the Edge of Expanion (IC)
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next