A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mire

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MmmTasteIt

PostSubject: Re: Mire   Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:27 am

Christina's excitement to be out of the wilderness dimmed somewhat upon seeing what passed for "civilization" on Mire. The ramshackle shantytown was a welcome site nonetheless, but it's sparse amenities were so far below her standards she was at somewhat of a loss; how could the inhabitants of this decrepit hovel be useful in getting her off planet? Her mind drifted back to her moment of clarity within the fortress.

She Who Thirsts is waiting, she mused, there must be opportunities here, no matter how challenging to find.

She glanced over at Reek. The foul creature had reached the end of it's usefulness; it now would expect the compensation she had promised the tribe. Not that she had ever intended to fulfill that promise, of course, but she would need to find a way to delay sending him away; the matter of his "punishment" was still fresh in her mind and, while she had the perfect vision of how it would be meted out, it would take time to arrange those circumstances.

"It seems you've done your guide duties admirably, Reek. If I recall correctly, you'd said that the inhabitants of Virolous do not look kindly upon your... fiefdom, was it? If you'd rather avoid a confrontation with the locals and possess the patience, you could make camp here in the outskirts while I find my shuttle and valet. My private transport is stocked with a sliver of my holdings for the purposes of trade; I will hire some porters that you may guide back to your people with the compensation I've promised Megascolides. It should not take long; I am used to traversing far more complex city-scapes. Is that a suitable course of action?"

She concluded her proposition with a genuine smile, though it's authenticity was founded in far darker intentions than Reek would have believed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Mire   Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Reek casts a slide eye glance at Christina, "It's not a matter of malice but of appeasement for our fiefdom. We pay our tilth so to speak to Virolous to stay in its good graces as does every other fiefdom." He turns to face her fully, "Did you not already gift us? Your meek gift already appeased my lord. I won't except anymore gifts from you. I did my duty and I will leave you to the clutches of Virolous."

Reek flashes his own smile to Christina, one of rotten and sharpened teeth, as he turns to leave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MmmTasteIt

PostSubject: Re: Mire   Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Christina stared, nonplussed, at Reek. The being's disinterest was alien to her; had he no desire for worldly pleasures? Achievement? Adulation of those beneath him? Such aestheticism was foreign to her... and was complicating her plan to visit her vengeance upon him for deserting her during the raid.

She raised a hand, indicating him to stop.

"A moment, Reek," she began slowly, "such meager gifts may appease one such as Megascolides. But I can understand why one such as yourself would not wish to labor further to impart further benefits upon a leader so satisfied with such simple rewards."

Doing her best to feign sympathy, she continued.

"I have not forgotten your willingness to assert your opinions amongst your people. But their affections for Megascolides have rendered you unable to convince them to act wisely... even if you are more able to do so than he. You speak of your duty, but do they deserve such loyalty when they ignore the benefit it provides them? Would it not be better for them all if they acknowledged your abilities?"

She spread her arms, gesturing to herself.

"In my travels, I have seen many loyalties lead to one's own destruction. Far better for the most competent to rise to power than to let their inept superiors lead them astray. Is not your duty to your fiefdom to protect them and guide them to greater heights? Will returning to be Megascolides' outspoken thrall really fulfill that obligation?"

She knew such empty platitudes would not serve without cold, hard truth. It was time for the gambit.

"I've seen your mistrust. You were forced to guide one that Megascolides fawned over when you knew better. I take no offense to your contempt; your intuition is admirable. And your loyalty to your people prevailed over those doubts. Were the circumstances different, I would try and convince you to join my crew; such loyalty is hard to find here in the Vortex. But I know that would be pointless; you wish to return to your people and continue to protect them from Megascolides' foolishness in whatever capacity you can."

She paused thoughtfully.

"I could enlarge that capacity. You may not trust much of what I have said of myself until now but know this: I despise such weakness in a so-called leader. The thought of that wretch wielding such power sickens me. My business on Mire is not yet finished and I believe this partnership could continue to benefit us both. You said you will accept no further gifts from me? Fine. What I offer you is not a gift; it is an exchange. Continue to serve as my guide here on Mire. In return, I will return to your tribe with you and show them the extent of Megascolides foolishness. At which point the tribe will need a new leader, a better leader, one whose intuitions were correct when Megascolides' were not."

She smirked.

"Or you can be on your way and let things continue to be as they have been. I could be wrong, of course. If I've judged falsely, by all means, return to your glorious leader. I hope that his future errors of judgment end up being as harmless as this one."

Shamless Flattery:

It was her turn to smile and move to leave, looking to Zigg and inclining her head towards Virolous. At worst, the doubts she had sown with her observations would destroy the deplorable Megascolides or the irksome Reek. At best... he would stop her to continue their parlay. Either way, her mind had been made up; she would most certainly be paying that wretched hovel a visit before she left Mire.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Mire   Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:33 pm

Reek stops to listen to Christina but quickly turns to continue on his path when she finishes, "I'm not blind to who you worship, Captain. The sweet nothings, sowing of doubt, empty platitudes, and the gift of pleasure. You still fail to remember who's planet this is. It is not the Prince of Pleasures domain. This is Papa Nurgle's domain. We of Mire are his children. You are not."

Reek's voice disappears as the two move from each other.

Christina steps foot into Virolous and being up close to it doesn't make it any better. One thing of interest though is the lack of outsiders. She sees no one that doesn't belong. Unluckily for her she's the one that sticks out with all interested eyes tracking her as she plods through the mud and filth.

The presence of Zigg keeps anyone from getting to curious though.

She makes her way to the supposed space port (more like a landing field than a true port). Either someone is playing a sick joke or this planet was her ultimate bane because there are no shuttles or operating ships.

All that sits in the field is a cordoned off Dark Eldar raider vessel. The guards are not Dark Eldar though. They are guards of Virolous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MmmTasteIt

PostSubject: Re: Mire   Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:37 pm

Christina shrugged as the brute wandered back into the swamps. It had been an enjoyable attempt. If he had acquiesced, maybe she would have made his death a tad less excruciating. Maybe.

---

Christina's disappointment faded as she entered the disgrace of a city, replaced with unease. She would normally not complain about the attention of the masses... but she preferred that all eyes be on her for reasons other than being as out of place as a Cadian in a hive pleasure-house. While the lack of any mundane transportation in the "port" nearly moved her to despair, her pulse quickened at the sight of the sleek Eldar raider. It was almost comforting to see a kindred spirit trapped in the foulness of Mire; a sleek, graceful instrument of acquisition amongst the ramshackle architecture of necessity that comprised the "port" of Virolous.

It was the will of She Who Thirsts, Christina was certain. Why else would such a fitting means be placed in her path? It would be hers... but she needed, first, to know where it's original crew had gone.

She paused to consider the situation. While she could attempt to ask the guards directly about the vessel, she was certain their suspicions would be too great for her to get any useful information out of them, at least if they had half a brain between all of them. And while that was unlikely, caution had occasionally served her well in the past; this case seemed as good a time as any to recall that lesson and apply it liberally.

Instead, she took care not to linger too long in observing the vessel and, instead, began looking for the nearest thing to a local watering-hole that the "port" could offer. While her presence would certainly kindle interest in the patrons, it could not hold their attention for long, and could very well trigger them to discuss other odd happenings that had occurred in Virolous. With any luck, that would include the appearance of the Dark Eldar ship and the mysterious lack of attending Dark Eldar. Given her current streak of luck, it hardly seemed like too much to wish for such a meager bout of good fortune.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Mire   Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:09 pm

Christina starts to make her way away from the landing field and towards the local watering hole in these parts. As she approaches the establishment Christina catches the sound of a hiss from an ally next to them. Zigg catches it as well and levels his bolt pistol towards it. Whatever it is ducks under the pistol and levels a finger at Zigg's head.

"Tell your brute to stand down." The cloaked figure says, "That or he becomes my new play toy."

"Not if I make you mine first." Zigg huffs back with his hand inching towards his chain axe.

Christina can see past the hood of the cloak. She's looking at a Dark Eldar. One that's a little worse for wear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MmmTasteIt

PostSubject: Re: Mire   Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Christina raised a hand to halt Zigg. "Stow it, Zigg. If it wanted to attack us it'd have done so."

She narrowed her eyes, inspecting the face of their surprise visitor. Prideful and vain, the evidence of the Cabalite's dire situation were apparent from the imperfections it had allowed to remain upon its face. No self-respecting Dark Eldar would allow such imperfections to persist unless they were pressed by matters of utmost severity. She grinned humorlessly.

"You have my permission to continue, Dark One, but make it quick. Pray tell; what misfortune has driven you so far as to seek allies outside of your fellows? She Who Thirsts must be most displeased with you."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Mire   Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:29 pm

"We can not talk here. To many eyes and ears." The Dark Eldar says as he leads Zigg and Christina down the alley.

Finally out of sight the Dark Eldar continuous, "You're the first foreigner I've seen in Virolous in weeks. None of these Nurgle blessed wretches are worth my trust or even the end of my sword. You on the other hand... a follower of the She Who Thirsts... you might be of use. I saw you eyeing my ship. You want off the this planet as much as I do. I can grant you a way off if you help me retrieve my crew."

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MmmTasteIt

PostSubject: Re: Mire   Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:08 pm

Christina did her best to let the Dark Eldar's comment go unmolested.

Of use?! Who did this xenos scum think it was talking t- oh, right, it had no idea who she wa- wait, what distant backwater hellhole could it have been on to not have heard of- oh, right, this one. Of course.

Deciding that it would be for the best if the xenos continued to be ignorant of her reputation - especially given that it was the ship's captain - she feigned thoughtful consideration of its offer. It clearly was well-schooled in the silver-tongued platitudes of their patron deity: the calculated disdain for the locals was one she would obviously share. It had overplayed its hand, however, by implying that their shared affiliation warranted the granting of trust. It had mistook her for a lesser follower of She Who Thirsts, one who would still mistake a compliment as a reason to believe the sincerity of the one who gave it. Amateur, but a pleasant change from the blunt, tedious interactions she'd had over the last few days.

While a more astute negotiator may have taken more time to consider the offer, gauging the extent of the Dark Eldar's desperation, Christina had never been one for subtlety when it came to her desires. When she wanted something, there was no hiding it; it may as well been written in warpfire upon the sky. "An exquisite vessel, certainly. It's an atrocity for such an elegant ship to be bound here. And you're quite right, I would like nothing more than to leave this foul excuse for a planet. You had my interest, Captain; you now have my attention. I will help you free your crew in exchange for passage. Where are they detained?"

She winced internally. Too eager, Captain. One should take care in acting the part of the fool to not become one. For once, no amount of paranoia would cause her to overestimate the danger of a pact with the Dark Eldar. Many pirates admired them as exemplars of the art of piracy... and with good reason. Tales of their raids were legend. While Christina often indulged in the more romantic aspects of her craft, she held no illusions about the intentions of her "ally": it was a vicious, ruthless slaver that would betray her the instant they had recovered its ship. Faint memories of her enslavement and rise to power within the Vortex briefly surfaced before she dismissed them. There would be no rise to power as a slave to the Dark Eldar; it would be a nasty, brutish, and short existence. While part of her yearned to learn the exquisite magnitude of the agony they were rumored to be capable of inflicting on captives, such banal pleasures would have to wait. The magnificent raider vessel would give her the freedom and power to explore a far more extensive array of passions and pleasures. The thought brought a smile to her face, one she quickly did her best to justify:

"Foul and worthless as the denizens of this fetid sphere may be... it would not fully prevent me from enjoying their demise. And I'm sure my ship-mate would in no way fail to enjoy slaughtering any wretches who stand in our way."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mire   

Back to top Go down

Mire
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
A Community for Gamers, by Gamers :: Play-by-Post Gaming :: Vortex - Black Crusade Sandbox (Game Thread)-
Jump to: