A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

General OOC

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:02 am

Taking the hot shot, going to offer the detox to donna.

Going to leave the ungents on her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://playbypostgaming.forumotion.com
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:18 am

Hey all. I went through everyone's PC sheets and added "Common craftsmanship survival suit" to your gear section (except for Egill, he already had one).

I figured it actually makes more sense that inquisition would have given you those as opposed to just heavy clothing. Fits the scifi setting better.

Just keeping you in the loop, I'm sure it will prove handy at some point in the future.

Herschel Brahe - Q'Sal Magister Immaterial
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:54 pm

Dig it. Dig it. Dig it.

If I were to ask you about XP for Egil and Felyx for defeating a rabid, sexy heretek nearly single handedly... would you be turned on?
Back to top Go down
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:02 pm

Felyx and Egill can take 500 xp since they've been up to more shenanigans and made it through another combat. Everyone else can take 400.

Sent from Topic'it App

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:56 am

Uhhhhh.....this just in..........astropathic message from Torquemada..........

https://www.reddit.com/r/40krpg/comments/a137bx/mostly_injokes_from_my_dark_heresy_campaign_but_i/

No idea what this is but it belongs here.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Murcurie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:13 pm

http://orokos.com/roll/681044

Scrutiny vs Malik, 6 vs 31, 4 DoS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:28 am

Confirmed from out Data thread that there are in fact 2 snow crawlers in the garage. That could easily transport us, Servitor, and the piece of Archeotech that Felyx is definitely not leaving behind to the dig site. Again, I think it is a terrible idea to go there immediately, but my reasons have been put to paper and the group will decide.

I did have this in my notes too, regarding the Shrine to the Omnissiah:
Quote :
Further Communion will be necessary to better understand what the machine knows.

So, I am going to go ahead and attempt that now and assume it takes place sometime before we leave:

Tech Use 44 +10 (Servitor Assist) +10 (combi tool) +10 (interface port) +20 (dealing with Archeotech specifically) <74/94; rolled 28/6 or 8 DoS depending.
http://orokos.com/roll/681338
Back to top Go down
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:26 pm

Iron and Metal wrote:
Confirmed from out Data thread that there are in fact 2 snow crawlers in the garage.

2 originally but per my notes one has left the facility. There was only one in the facility when you went in to check on the ancient cogitator.

That said one crawler is still plenty big enough to carry you and all of your gear with room to spare. Just worth noting to track enemy movements, you could follow the tracks in the snow to see where it went.

http://paulv3design.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Snow-Cat-Plastic003.png

Here's what I picture it looks like for reference.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sylphilis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:49 pm

Your picture is too serious. Im imagining this:

Some 60's campy cheese, robot included.

"Danger, Danger!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MmmTasteIt

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:42 pm

Shotshell Reloading Homebrew: Doing justice to the good ol' boomstick

Reloading shell casings is a relatively easy and straightforward process that exists in modern day; it makes sense that SOMEONE in the far future would see the usefulness in the practice of reloading spent shells, both for the sake of conserving resources and for adding more variety to their arsenal.

Objective: Make the flexibility of the shotgun more true to real life in a way that's fair and balanced; we wouldn't want to make the shotgun the go-to weapon in the grim darkness of the far future - even if the shotgun is a classically brutal and badass weapon.

Consideration 1: Shotshell reloading
It's fairly easy to reload a shotgun shell; with the right tools, basically anyone with two brain-cells to rub together could do it. It helps to know what all goes into your basic shotshell though:

Hull (or case): The casing (plastic) and base (metal).
Primer: The compound that detonates when the base is struck by the firing pin, igniting the powder.
Powder: The flammable substance that burns, creating a gas that explands and ejects the wad - which contains the ammunition - down the bore and out of the barrel.
Wad: Protects the shot and/or barrel and provides a seal for the expanding gas created by the powder. Has 3 parts: the powder wad (holds the powder), cushion (shock absorber to minimize deformation of the shot), and shot cup (holds the shot/slug).
Shot: The pellets or slug that are intended to strike the target.

Loaders can either be multi-stage or single-stage. As might be obvious, the multi-stage loaders allow for more precision and can ensure the Hull lasts longer, even if it takes a bit longer to load each shell.

Consideration 2: Recoil
Anyone who has fired a gun knows that the weapon tends to "kick" thanks to Newton's 3rd law: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. How hard a weapon kicks depends on a variety of factors:

The mass of the gun: The heavier the gun, the more force it takes for the shot to move it. Thus: heavier gun = softer recoil.
The mass of the projectile: The heavier the ammunition, the more force it takes to fire it at an effective velocity. Heavier shot = more recoil.
The speed of the projectile: The faster you want your shot to travel, the more you have to accelerate it, requiring more force. This makes the recoil greater but, also, "sharper" due to the speed at which the recoil happens.

How do we compensate so a powerful shot doesn't break your shoulder or wrist?

Lighter bullet, faster speed: Within reason, a lighter shot at higher speeds will have the same kinetic force of a heavier bullet with less recoil. Obviously, shot that is too light lacks any sort of penetration, so this principle can't be applied too liberally.
Heavier gun: While a heavier gun can be a bitch to lug around, it makes the actual shooting less difficult due to reduced recoil.
Muzzle venting: A ported barrel can allow some of the gas from the powder to escape without affecting the performance of the shot.
Recoil padding: A shock-absorbant material at the butt of the gun can mitigate some of the recoil without reducing the effectiveness of the shot in the slightest. It does make smacking someone with the butt of the gun far less effective, however.

Consideration 3: Stopping power vs. Lethality
Contrary to popular belief, "death" is not the most efficient means of crowd control. While we often want to kill targets in 40k, rendering them incapcitated is often good enough. The incapacitated target is just as unthreatening as the dead one - provided they're dealt with after the fact - and more capable of providing information and/or admitting to heresy.

Wounding Effects (i.e. how do a incapcitate a target)
Physical Damage
Obviously, the physical trauma caused by bullets is a large source of the gun's stopping power/lethality. The trick in maximizing trauma is to make sure the bullet expends as much kinetic energy on the target's vitals as possible without overpenetrating; too powerful of a slug will pass right through a target and waste a lot of it's deadly force in the wall behind it.
Neurological
While headshots are the clearest exmaple of how neurological damage can incapcitate a target, significant damage to vital organs or cardiovascular function can incapcitate a target quicklly.  A "ballistic pressure wave" can shock the nervous system even if the injury is located in an extremity.
Psychological
Emotional shock and pain can incapacitate a target even if the shot is far from lethal. This is usually the result of various sensory overloads, whether it be auditory, visual, tactile, etc. Which is, by the way, why flashbangs are so effective.

So what does this tell us about shotgun ammunition?
Shot vs. Slug
In terms of lethality, the slug is hands down the winner. A large-bore slug transmits ever greater force than a rifle at shorter ranges and does way more physical damage to it's location of entry than any single shot will. It's also more likely to create the sort of "system shock" due to the physical trauma it inflicts.

In terms of stopping power, however, shot is probably just as effective if not MORE effective at close range. The impact of multiple projectiles will inflict far more physical trauma than a slug will (unless the slug hits a bone), and inflict significantly more psychological trauma due to the multiple locations of injury.

Consideration 4: The Choke and Bore (rhyme somewhat intended)
The bore determines the spread of the shot; the choke is (oversimplified) a mecnahism to change the bore and change the spread of the shot. This only really applies for shot; if the choke sets the bore to something other than the gauge of the slug it'll have significant effect on the effectiveness of the weapon by both damaging the barrel and negatively affecting the slug and it's trajectory.

Consideration 5: Balancing the boomstick in-game
I'll be up-front about this: I love shotguns aesthetically. They often rank high on the list of satisfying weapons to use. But I don't want this love of shotguns to lead to the creation of an in-game powerhouse that outshines all other solid projectile weapons that one might use when purging heretics.
As it stands, your regular ol' DH2 Shotgun has the following stats:
Shotgun
Class: Basic
Range: 30m
RoF: Single only
Damage: 1d10+4 Impact
Pen: 0
Clip: 8
Reload: 2 Full
Special: Scatter (Point Blank: +10 to hit, +3 damage. Short Range: +10 to hit. Longer than Short Range: -3 damage)
Weight: 5Kg
Availability: Average

Since the baseline shotgun is probably rocking a higher gauge shot, we can assume that it's firing the 40k equivilant of buckshot. So let's assume that the bog-standard Shotgun is a pump or lever action gun loaded with the equivilant of Buckshot. So how could we take the prior considerations and use them to add more options? While the exact numbers will need some work, here are some things that might be worth adding to the game to more accurately reflect the versatility of the shotgun:

#1: Solid Slug Ammunition
Slugs are as easy to produce and load as shot and, as such, should be just as common as an ammunition option. Looking at some rough statistics regarding effective range, we have the following:
Buckshot: 35 Yards
Birdshot: 40 Yards
Slug: 75 Yards

Solid slugs have more range and penetration than shot but don't really ramp up at closer ranges. It seems like the description of the hand-cannon aligns with the intention of solid slugs. We can keep things fair by making the range much shorter than your traditional autogun.
Solid Slug (Ammo): Range: 60m, +2 Pen, loses Scatter.

#2: Variable Shot Gauges
While the standard buckshot is all fine and dandy, changing the gauge of the shot or the choke of the bore could be helpful depending on one's circumstance. Including this would mean creating a new weapon attachment: Variable Choke. It seems reasonable to assume that there would be a "standard" setting that works for solid slugs, and then the option for "full choke" or "smooth bore":
Smooth Bore: Range: 20m, Scatter "+10 to hit" becomes "+20 to hit"
Full Choke: Range: 40m, Scatter at Short Range also adds +3 damage.

Small changes that reflect the effect that choke has on the shot pattern. As an easy switch to flick, it can be a free action. Allows for more effective close-range shooting depending on the situation, emphasizing the strength of the shotgun in close-quarters firefights.

#3: Custom Ammunition
While the custom ammunition usable by shotguns is somewhat limited by the assumption that their shells are all filled with shot, the addition of solid slugs means that other forms of custom ammunition can be used by the shotgun. These rounds use the modified profile created by solid slugs and allows shotguns to add the following forms of custom ammunition:
Bleeder Rounds (Inflicts blood loss for 1d5 rounds)
Dumdum Bullets (+2 damage, armor counts as double)
Expander Rounds (+1 damage and +1 penetration)
Man-Stopper Bullets (Slugs) (+3 penetration)
Barbed Rounds (BC, adds Crippling [1])

Summary
These are pretty basic modifications; nothing too extreme. There's room for more but I think these are a safe start to adding versatility to the shotgun. Here are some further things I'd be interested in exploring if there's enough interest:

-Custom Shotshells: Toying with the primer or powder may allow for increased muzzle velocity, which could add range or damage.
-Homebrew Shot: There is a huge variety of things you can load in place of traditional steel shot; modern day examples are as follows:
Flechette: aerodynamic darts that provide improved range and light-armor penetration but the light weight of the flechette make it useless against heavier armor.
Rubber slugs/shot: used for non-lethal riot control
Rock Salt: unlikely to cause serious injury but lets you rub salt in the wound directly. More dangerous materials could cause various effects.
Gas: sprays a cone of gas, usually tear gas.
Flare: does what it says on the tin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:29 am

First of all, outstanding job. This is very well thought out and written.

Quote :
As an easy switch to flick, it can be a free action. Allows for more effective close-range shooting depending on the situation, emphasizing the strength of the shotgun in close-quarters firefights.

Changing a choke requires more than this though. Unless we have a weapon with multiple barrels that can switch with the a flick of a button, it should be more than a free action to change out a choke - something that happens before combat or a Full round action at least in combat.

Back to top Go down
MmmTasteIt

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:40 am

Iron and Metal wrote:
First of all, outstanding job. This is very well thought out and written.

Quote :
As an easy switch to flick, it can be a free action. Allows for more effective close-range shooting depending on the situation, emphasizing the strength of the shotgun in close-quarters firefights.

Changing a choke requires more than this though. Unless we have a  weapon with multiple barrels that can switch with the a flick of a button, it should be more than a free action to change out a choke - something that happens before combat or a Full round action at least in combat.

Fair point. It'd be easy enough to have an over-under double barrel with multiple chokes. If we already require a requisition to get the mod, my thought was to make that cost for the benefit rather than impede on the action economy. But I think that's right; it's still good enough to be worth using a full-round action to change it in the middle of the action. Possibly with a "best quality" version cutting that down to a half action?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:32 pm

All right, guys. Here is the skinny: Felyx communed the fuck out of the Shrine - 8 DoS or something. He then had some dialogue with it and, fueled by its anger, convinced it (Fellowship test - 43 vs 44 lol) to let him essentially have control of all the automated security on the base. Hence, the updated map.

So, I will get an update in tomorrow. But the plan is to come over the comms and - using Malik as an example, convince the slaves to revolt against their masters. I also plan on letting everyone know where these bitches are located too.
Back to top Go down
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:30 pm

Sorr if it has felt like "The Felyx Show" for anyone; I wanted to try something out-of-the-box and Bob let me run with it.

But what we do have is access to all of the comms and security systems of this base. I figure if Malik was willing to defect, other slaves will also. Exploit the masters and take away their power by showing the slaves that the fucking base has literally turned against them, and the slaves should follow. But we have the means to take them out room by room now.

I figure once we clear the garage, we can begin moving down the line. I won't give away my control of the other servitors in the base until it best suits our needs. So, while the ones outside of the shrine moved to show the slave we are in control, the ones outside of that little room should still be pretending to do their jobs.

That's basically what is going down on my end. How're the rest of you doing?
Back to top Go down
MmmTasteIt

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:05 pm

Doin' well. Ready to convert lost souls back to Big E's glorious light... or whatever it is we do when we aren't being shits.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theoretical

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Yesterday at 4:24 am

http://orokos.com/roll/684294

Imitative roll of 8.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Yesterday at 8:32 am

Felyx initiative 5.
http://orokos.com/roll/684316

As a reminder, the roll for the grapple was a 13 vs repair servitor WS 25 +30 all out attack. 6 DoS

Repair servitor will ready las cutter for reasons. Set up overwatch essentially.
Back to top Go down
MmmTasteIt

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Yesterday at 9:41 am

https://orokos.com/roll/684340
Marius has initiative 3. Someone earned themselves a flashback to explain this nonsense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Yesterday at 9:43 am

Legit love that you're using a shit-roll as a chance to flashback. God damn that is some solid role over roll shit right there.
Back to top Go down
MmmTasteIt

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Yesterday at 9:49 am

Why thank you <3

I like using high or low rolls and an excuse to show off character strengths or weaknesses. Plus it gives me something to do since my fuckin' character isn't doing anything Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron and Metal
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Yesterday at 10:26 am

GIVE THIS MAN ADDITIONAL XP
Back to top Go down
Sylphilis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: General OOC   Yesterday at 4:23 pm

Back to top Go down