A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 7:01 am

Herschel put on his best smile.

"My name is Herschel Brahe. I'm a sorceror with DeClasse's crew. What...what is this place?"

Herschel's gaze slips from the curator and drifts to the books around them. He scans them for familiar authors or titles, as well as for interesting topics.

Sent from Topic'it App

Herschel Brahe - Q'Sal Magister Immaterial
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 7:56 pm

"DeClasse's crew? Has my capture Hass been usurped or killed?" Curator says in amazement.

Herschel sees a few titles and authors he recognizes. A lot of them are Q'Sal scholars and Herschel has read those texts a thousand times.

The most interesting topic and author Herschel spots though is on a top shelf. A large tome bounded by armor plating and chains: The Third Eye by Magnus The Red
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 am

Herschel hangs his head in shame momentarily before shaking it.

"My apologies, a slip of the tongue. There has been no mutiny against our venerable leader."

Herschel picks up the book in amazement, although he is slightly nervous to open it. Caressing it's spine and the lettering on the cover, he slowly turns his attention back to the curator.

"I am quite curious...could you tell me a little more about this place, and yourself?"

rolls:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2018 10:33 pm

Scrutiny Details:

"The Mangrave collection was once the prized possession of Locke Mangrave. He was one of Hass' oldest crew mates and a very potent psyker. As for me, I was assigned as his Curator, I helped him find these tomes of knowledge. Like the one you hold in your hands right now. I will warn that The Third Eye might be a bit much for any psyker that isn't Magnus The Red himself."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 6:41 pm

"Very well...I certainly appreciate the warning.'' Herschel reluctantly puts the book back on the shelf, though his gaze lingers on it.

With effort, he turns his attention back to the Curator.

"Well, would you be able to help me find any tomes that would be more fitting for a human psyker? I am quite practiced in channeling the energies of the warp, but I can imagine most any magick user would find something useful here."

Hershel fidgeted with the collar of his robe, his eyelid twitching. It was a lot to take in, this library of forbidden, esoteric knowledge, and his strange ticks were acting up as a result.

"Also...do you happen to have any knowledge of, or have any tomes regarding, a glass cave or cavern of crystals? Ring a bell, perhaps?" He tried to ask the question as casually as possible.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2018 10:51 pm

"Glass cave you say... why yes I do have a tome on that. Mangrave said it was already on this rock when Hass moved on to it. Found it in some settlement created by the previous Pirate Prince that once called this place home. Who ever wrote it was once a intelligent man but this glass cave pushed him into craziness."

The Curator combs through the collection and finds the book. A ragged old thing.

As the Curator passes it to Herschel he feels the sealed box in his robe start to vibrate intensely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 2:59 am

Herschel's eyes narrow and he licks his lips before pulling the cube out from his robes to observe it's behavior.

He turns a devilish grin toward the curator.

"You have any idea what's going on with this thing?"

Sent from Topic'it App

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 7:34 pm

"Seems the book and that box are attracted to one another." The Curator says. "I wonder if the box is mentioned in the book." The Curator wonders.

Herschel being ever curious opens the book and flips through the pages. He does find a section that talks about the box. One protected by psychic ciphers and one that can only be opened by a psyker. When opened the box is said to contain a shard from the cave of mirrors.

Last edited by Solodice on Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 11, 2018 10:38 am

"Curious...most curious indeed. Do you have any knowledge of the cave yourself?" Herschel eyes the curator quizzically.

note:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2018 7:22 pm

"Only rumors heard around these halls." Curator says in response to Herschel's question.

[Gain Forbidden Lore: Warp +10, Common Lore: The Ragged Helix, and psychic power Host of Fiends for free (Core. 214).]

Herschel loses himself in the book. He learns much from the tome... the warp, the Ragged Helix, a new power. At the end of the tome the author has clearly descended into madness but something about it is familiar. The note he found at the settlement reads much this this man does here in the tome.

[Edit. Additional Info. The author, his name is missing from the tome, talks about the cave of mirrors and how its mirrors are glimpses to other places across the Screaming Vortex. There are notes scribbled in the corners talking about how the mirrors might also be portals.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 6:19 am

Herschel is satisfied to glean some knowledge from the book, but also starts to feel restless to pursue his quest. He could happily spend hours upon hours diving into old tomes in this library, but at the end of the day he knows knowledge must be paired with action.

He snaps up from the seat as if cracked from a whip and scuttles out the door in search of other pskyers who may lend him their energy to help open the box.

Spoiler:

Shifting his mental energies toward the task of finding more psykers, Herschel strolls down the hallway. Reflecting the shift in his mental attitude, his psychic energy manifested itself by causing a light wind and breeze around him, guttering or extinguishing flames in wall-mounted lanterns. For his own pleasure, Herschel directed the winds at passerby, watching in amusement as their hair flew about or clothes flapped about their bodies.

"Bit chilly, isn't it!" He chuckled to one man who was struggling with an overcoat as he passed by. He hoped it was a convincing feint at ignorance and shock at the indoor winds.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Luckily for Herschel the Last Right has itself a nice cabal of psykers. Hass doesn't seem to mind who's on his ship as long as they do their job.

For whatever reason the cabal does not have a lair on Hunting Grounds. Either by Hass' orders or that of the cabal. They call the Last Right their home.

For the first time Herschel sets foot upon the heavily modified Lunar-class cruiser known as the Last Right. She is currently undergoing repairs and resupply before she ventures back out for a new hunt.

The cabal congregates at a bastardized Auto Temple. Instead of bringing the message of the Imperial Creed this Auto Temple brings the message of the Gods to this cabal's victims.

Upon entering Herschel's psychically created wind storm blows out candles and clouds of incense from his path. It also causes papers to scatter and for books to freely open and turn pages. It draws the ire of the cabal.

A cabal member stands. A blue robbed man with a cloth covering his eyes. Stylized bird eyes have been painted on where his reals eyes would be.

"The navigator graces us with his presence." The man says, "The last one didn't have a need for such low lives as he put it."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Herschel looks upon them in mild surprise.

"Please...call me Herschel." He puts on his best smile as he walks forward. "I kindly ask that you judge me on my own merits, as the last navigator...sounds like he was an arrogant prick. And a foolish one, too." He sighs, looking absent-mindedly about the room and forcing a frown. "It's a shame, isn't it? When others fail to recognize our talents for the wondrous gifts they are? I'm sure your role aboard this vessel is none less than essential, you should be respected for it."

charm test:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2018 5:14 pm

"Most see us a tools to exploit. We are powerful tools but we are much more then that and I see you understand that, Herschel."

The psyker steps forward.

"I see you are one with Tzeentch. There are others here who also worship the Lord of Change but Hass has seen it that we have others in our presence. So we have a few followers of Nurgle, Slaanesh, and one who seems to follow all the gods equally. You can call me Avalon and I welcome you to our cabal."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2018 5:40 pm

"Well met, Avalon." Herschel walked to meet the man and extended his hand.

"It is good that you have followers of different creeds and worshipers of various gods. There is strength in diversity, as I'm sure you're aware."

Herschel clears his throat, looking Avalon square in the eye.

"And who do you follow, Avalon? Which gods enjoy your patronage?"

Herschel studied the man carefully, barely controlling a twitch in his upper lip. A cabal of psykers...Herschel's mind was already running wild imagining the possibilities, if he could only convince them to do the bidding of the Architect of Fate. Avalon could be key to this endeavor. He sure was acting like an influential member of the group, if not the leader.

Herschel delighted in speaking with him, in charming him. It was like planting a seed in anticipation of watching a great oak grow from the earth. If everything went according to plan, he would be a puppet-master before long.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2018 10:31 pm

"The Lord of Change of course. He blessed me from a young age." He motions to the cloth covering his eyes, "What the fools of the Imperium saw as a curse, a mutant, Tzeentch saw as a gift. I might of been without my eyes but I saw the world as it truly was."

Avalon pauses, "What of you, Herschel? How did you fall under Tzeentch's many eyes?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 30, 2018 10:02 am

"I, too, have felt a kinship with Tzeentch since a young age. In fact, on many days I feel as if the warp may be my true home...he has blessed me with powerful psychic energy, and a strong will to be a catalyst for change. I am only happy to serve...."

Herschel tilts his head. "I wonder...would you be willing to assist a fellow follower of tzeentch? I require the aid of another psyker or two, and I'd feel better about working with those of our alignment. It's a simple matter, really, just need a bit more psychic energy. What say you?"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2018 10:08 pm

"That can be easily arranged. We'll meet you back on Hunting Grounds. Say the old navigator's quarters?"

Hershel agrees and makes his way back to Hass' estate and waits for the psykers in the place where he first found the box.

Avalon arrived with two other psykers. The markings on their robes establishing them as Tzeentch followers.

"Shall we begin?" Avalon asks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Herschel puts on a warm smile as they enter the room, standing and meeting them graciously.

"Thank you very much for coming here. Your assistance is much appreciated." Herschel pulls forth the box.

"I need your psychic energy to help me open this box..."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 10:24 pm

"Ah, a psyker bind. Should be easy to break." Avalon says getting into position.

The other psyker gets into position as well but the last one is reluctant, "And what are we unlocking? A demon, a curse, a hole in the warp? I have not survived this long by using my powers with wanton recklessness. If I'm going to be unlocking this box I must know what it contains."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 10:44 pm

[Continued from Furia.]

Zar is reassembled piece by piece inside of a cave complex. His head is spinning and everything is bright... too bright.

[Need a +0 Willpower roll.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2018 12:42 am

Zar found the experience not at all pleasant, he was a man who liked his feet firmly on the floor. Reality more or less as it should be.

Willpower:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2018 12:59 am

[If Zar gets into combat he may only take half actions for 4 rounds.]

Zar's head stops swirling but he's still left a little dazed and confused. The bright lights has dimmed and he finds himself looking at a crystallized tunnel. Some of the reflections are of himself but others are like the shard. No reflection but a window to somewhere else.

Zar involuntarily sniffs the air... Crimson's doing.

"No other living being is present here. We have the place to ourselves." Crimson says.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2018 1:25 am

Zar snorts blowing out smoke from his flared nostrils, he disliked being taken control of no matter how briefly. Crimson had found a 'sympathetic' servant in Zar, who had enjoyed the violence he had dolled out while part of the imperial guard, so generally Crimson had little reason to assume control and force his will. They were well suited and Zar had welcomed Khornes teachings.

Slowly Zar moves forward a short way and looks left and right trying to make out what lay beyound the windows.

"We are within the err... portal?" Zar looks down the corridor there seemed to be a myriad of possibilities. "What are your desires?" he asked Crimson. "You know mine, I wish to carry Koricks head on my belt."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2018 6:20 am

Solodice wrote:
"And what are we unlocking? A demon, a curse, a hole in the warp? I have not survived this long by using my powers with wanton recklessness. If I'm going to be unlocking this box I must know what it contains."

Herschel nods respectfully. He needed the psyker's help, and thus was playing the part of a gentleman.

"It is said that when opened, the box produces a glass shard from a certain cave. It is of value to me."

Herschel clears his throat and looks the psyker in the eye with an intense, uncomfortably direct stare. "I understand your trepidation. We meddle with dangerous forces, and your caution is very wise." His expression betrays a hint of excitement.

"However...to achieve greatness, one must be willing to put everything at risk. Aid me with this, my friend, and I will show you true power."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 22, 2018 10:35 pm

Herschel

The psyker seems pleased with your answer and takes up their spot.

With all of them in position Herschel places the box in the middle and all of them start to draw power.

[No need to roll here.]

Psychic power is then fired at the box. It rattles slightly and then it starts to get more violent when finally the things lid flips open. Looking inside one will see a glass shard that has no reflection. Instead it looks into a cave of mirrors.

Avalon starts to reach for it.

Zar

"Not exactly. We are still within the Vortex as far as I can tell." Crimson says in response to Zar's question.

Zar can feel a deep and violent fire of sorts start to rage inside of him, "Desire? It is still the same, servant! To kill Korick!"

The fire dies down, "First, we have to find our way back. Let's see if we can find the Shattered Moons in one of these mirrors."

[Give me a +20 Intelligence roll.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Zar snarls as Crimson asserted his will. Smoke bellows from his nostrils and his claws flex, if there was something living, something to kill in front of him at that point he would have lashed out at it.

After his rage and anger begin to cool Zar wanders about the hall of mirrors looking for some place he recognised.

Intelligence test:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 7:33 am

Herschel reaches forth and holds Avalon's hand for a moment, shooting him an icy glare. The fool's behavior reminded him of some of the more arrogant sorcerer technocrats of Velkir...readily engaging with forces they did not understand, like a monkey with a machine gun.

Herschel chuckled quietly to himself as he locked eyes with Avalon, imagining all the awful things that could have happened to him had he touched a demonic or cursed item...immolation...possession...violent, explosive mutation....he had seen a few in person, and it was always quite the show. But Avalon might yet prove useful to Herschel, and he wasn't about to waste a potential minion so readily.

"First we must inspect this specimen."

Herschel peers over the lip of the box to carefully examine the shard...from a respectful distance.

rolls:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 9:53 pm

Zar

Zar starts to look for places familiar to him. He passes by a view active "portals" and some of the places Crimson knows. Places like Mire, Ghibilline, and Q'Sal. Places Zar has heard in passing on the Shattered Moons but that was it.

There is no pattern to the cave complex but he starts small and works his way around. He eventually finds it. The mirror is looking our into some long forgotten chamber but the markings and build are that of the Shattered Moons.

Herschel

Avalon doesn't resist Herschel's grab. Instead he just smiles.

"Yes, inspect and observe." He says sarcastically.

Looking into the box Herschel can see a shard of glass. However, he does not see his own reflection. Instead he's looking into a cave of mirrors...

When he taps into his witch senses the shard gives off intense psychic energy. It's nearly blinding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2019 5:16 pm

Gingerly, Herschel reaches forth to pick up the glass shard...he is too focused on the importance of the task at hand to pay much attention to Avalon's snark.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carnelian
Senpai
Carnelian

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2019 4:31 pm

Ever the impulsive one, eager to push forward Zar reaches for the portal. Korick would pay. His skull impaled on one of the shoulder spikes of his new armour.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 9:16 pm

Zar

Zar reaches forward and like before with the shard before he himself cracks and shatters into a tiny thousand shards and is pulled through the portal.

[Continued in Shattered Moons (Kurse).]

Herschel

Herschel grabs the piece and he feels himself split and shatter like a piece of fragile glass. His shards are dragged through the larger shard.

Hershel is reassembled piece by piece inside of the cave he was looking at.

[Need a +0 Willpower roll.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 1:33 pm

WP test:

Herschel dusted himself off and glanced around the room. He felt a strange mix of unease and excitement - he was here at last, but he was concerned about who else may be here, or what forces may have conspired to bring him here...immediately.

Herschel cracks his neck, then wiggles his fingers. He then begins observing and studying the cave around him.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 13, 2019 9:24 pm

[No effects on passing the WP roll.]

Herschel goes into full researcher mode and begins to examine all that is around him.

All of the cave tunnels are encrusted with a crystal like substance. They are all heavily polished and give off the appearance of mirrors.

He can see some that were like the shard. Looking into other places. Then there were others that weren't activated and worked normally showing Herschel's reflection. Herschel starts to see why there's a difference. Those that are active have a piece of them missing. It seems the shards are the other end of the portal.

Herschel then hears a heavy and loud crashing sound from deeper within the cave and them some mumbling and cursing in high gothic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Herschel advances cautiously through the tunnels towards the direction of the noise - keeping an eye on his six while doing so. Furthermore, Herschel moves quietly and seeking to keep himself hidden from view where possible. He aims to observe any others in the cave before they notice him, but the unnatural echos created by his warp presence made that difficult, as even the slightest noise reverberated throughout the tunnel.

He wondered what would await him. An enemy? A pawn? A demon, or some wild beast? Perhaps he would finally get to meet an alien - something he had longed for for some time- or have a chance to flex his psychic powers once again. The possibilities seemed endless, and Herschel was eager to see what delightful surprises the Lord of Change had in store for him.

rolls:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 27, 2019 9:50 pm

Herschel's own gifts came back to bite him in the ass. His footsteps ring out in the cave like a giant church bell. The cursing stops and whatever was making noise goes quiet.

Herschel keeps pressing his luck though and comes out into what seems a central cavern for the network of tunnels. In the center on a rise is a makeshift open air tent. Whole sides of it are covered in parchment. Of what exactly Herschel can't tell at this distance.

[Give me an Awareness +10 and Psyiscience +20 rolls.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2019 8:58 am

Squinting, Herschel stops to absorb his environment. He opens up his mind, reaching forth clumsily in an attempt to sense any psychic beings nearby...

rolls:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 02, 2019 10:06 pm

Herschel can just hear footsteps just behind him. Someone that's very light footed. Then he hears something that sounds like a weapon being drawn from a holster... but they do not fire.

"I see... no I have witnessed another traveler come before me. Come to my home. Come to my prize. My prize, my prize, my prize. What do you want?" Someone says from behind Herschel.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2019 12:47 pm

Wielding his staff carefully but non-threateningly, Herschel turns around to look at whoever is speaking.

He greets the character warmly and appraises them thoroughly.

rolls:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 9:04 pm

Herschel turns and is greeted by a human. He's rough and ragged but his equipment, which is a lot, is well cared for... better then he is.

In his hand is a pistol of some kind. Herschel has never seen it before. It's not pointed at Herschel. However, judging by the cold steadiness of the hand holding it it could be turned on him in an instant.

What this man could be or what he was doing here was beyond Herschel at the moment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 5:30 pm

Herschel works to contain a smile. Now this could be a useful plaything.

"I want for nothing, fellow traveler. I am merely another explorer here in this wondrous cave. What is your name, friend? And what is this prize you speak of? I would be glad to hear your story..."

charm test:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 11:25 pm

[Charm check has been cashed and we'll see if it gets bounced...]

Willpower Roll: 66 (2 DoS) but not good enough to resist.

"Agent Mirror is my name and you're standing in my prize." He says as he holsters his weapon and walks to the tent.

"My story? I, I, don't have one. Not one I can remember." Agent Mirror says as he looks over the notes scattered along the tent walls.

"You? Who are you?" He says taking a seat and his rests his hand on his pistol, "The cave is not open to all. Only those that know where to look and see where the breaks are."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 7:08 am

"This...this whole place is your prize? Most interesting indeed..."

Herschel looks at the man with guarded curiosity. He had seen stranger things throughout the vortex - demons possessing household appliances, humans who slowly mutated into tree trunks - but it didn't make him any less inquisitive about this "agent mirror."

Herschel decides to take an honest approach...ironocally, he'd found it was often easier to manipulate people that way.

"My name is Herschel. Well-met, Agent Mirror. I am a navigator and psyker from the world of Q'Sal. I have something of a knack for looking beyond the veil." He crouches down so that he's on the level with the man.

"Tell me, are these your notes? How do you spend your days here, what do you seek? Perhaps you and I can work together, watch each other's backs..."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 9:33 pm

"They were the notes of some man. One I think was me but that man is long dead. The mirrors took him. As for what I seek? I seek to travel across the Vortex. Not by ship or the portals of psykers but by these mirrors."

At the mention of Herschel working with him the man's head violently turns to the side and he draws his weapon. He head stays pointing away from Herschel as his gun hand is steady and pointed right at the Q'Sal Magister.

"Agent Mirror will never need help. Only he watches his own back. Only he is allowed to call this cave home. You are nothing but a trespasser with a silver tongue. I'm willing to let you slither back to whatever hole you crawled through to get here but only this once."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 5:29 am

Herschel grips his staff and stares icily at the man. The fool has lost his mind and couldn't possibly fathom the psychic hell Herschel could unleash on him in a fraction of a second.

"I am not your enemy, Agent Mirror. I am only here for knowledge. But I must ask you to lower that weapon immediately or I will treat you as a foe." Herschel speaks plainly in a dry tone.

Rolls:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 9:53 pm

"Knowledge is power and I'm not in the mood to share any of it at this moment." Someone says just off to the right of Herschel.

He sees that it's another Agent Mirror with a weapon pointed at him. Herschel then spots two more of them surrounding him. They all look like the Agent Mirror who is sitting down. Where they came from is a mystery.

"I suggest you take your chance to leave unharmed and never return." Another of the Agent Mirrors says.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 5:18 pm

Herschel cursed under his breath. These wretched fools brought neither intellect nor sorcery to bear against him. They had only the numerical advantage against him with their primitive weaponry...and for these tactics he had nothing but contempt.

He yearned to smite them for the arrogance in ordering a noble of Velkir around like some common peasant. It felt as if the warp itself was scratching at a door in his brain, begging to be unleashed on the dim-witted thugs.

Still...he knows he could easily take Agent Mirror alone, but 4 of them is dicey. Without backup or knowing how powerful their abilities may be, he would rather not start a combat. Reluctantly, Herschel begins backing away slowly.

"Okay, I'll be leaving now..."

As he backs away, he looks closely at the different "Agent Mirrors" - are they as real as they seem? Perhaps they are naught by some psychic illusion or warp trickery...the politics back on Q'Sal were rife with such madness, as individuals would often send illusory messengers to fool and deceive others, whether to get rivals to indulge secrets or manipulate politicians into acting in their interests. He was no stranger to such tricks, but had trouble discerning between reality and illusion here.

rolls:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2019 9:59 pm

To Herschel these figures appeared to be very real. This being the Screaming Vortex they could very well of been real copies of this Agent Mirror. He didn't stick around to ask though and retreats the way he came in.

3 Agent Mirrors follow him to make sure he does what he said. Herschel finds the portal he came in through. The image has changed a bit. It's no longer the old navigators room. It seems to be someone else's quarters on Hunting Grounds.

Herschel presses his hand against it... and shatters into a thousand pieces before being sucked through.

++++

Herschel is reassembled on the other side through the shard.

[Need a Willpower -10 test.]

He finds himself in the unfamiliar quarters. The psykers he was working with must of moved the piece after he entered it.

Looking around the space he notes plenty of scrolls, books, charms, and other odds bits and ends. The space of a psyker. The quarters were a little cramped and looking at he walls he notes it's bulkhead and not the material of Hass' estate. He was back on the Last Right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 30, 2019 2:06 pm

WP test:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 31, 2019 6:23 pm

Herschel brushes himself off. He was dismayed that his venture into the caves had not proved more profitable or insightful, and chided himself for walking away from a fight. Grumbling and cursing under his breath, he vows to act bolder next time around.

Better to die in a raging ball of warp fire than to live safely without knowledge or power, he thinks to himself.

Refocusing on the room around him, Herschel investigates it for anything of value or note. Was this to be his quarters, or did he appear in someone else's?

child of the warp:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next