A Community for Gamers, by Gamers

A forum dedicated to play by post gaming of all types, homebrew creations, rules discussion for various systems, and everything in between.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:01 am

Herschel put on his best smile.

"My name is Herschel Brahe. I'm a sorceror with DeClasse's crew. What...what is this place?"

Herschel's gaze slips from the curator and drifts to the books around them. He scans them for familiar authors or titles, as well as for interesting topics.

Sent from Topic'it App

Herschel Brahe - Q'Sal Magister Immaterial
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:56 pm

"DeClasse's crew? Has my capture Hass been usurped or killed?" Curator says in amazement.

Herschel sees a few titles and authors he recognizes. A lot of them are Q'Sal scholars and Herschel has read those texts a thousand times.

The most interesting topic and author Herschel spots though is on a top shelf. A large tome bounded by armor plating and chains: The Third Eye by Magnus The Red
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 am

Herschel hangs his head in shame momentarily before shaking it.

"My apologies, a slip of the tongue. There has been no mutiny against our venerable leader."

Herschel picks up the book in amazement, although he is slightly nervous to open it. Caressing it's spine and the lettering on the cover, he slowly turns his attention back to the curator.

"I am quite curious...could you tell me a little more about this place, and yourself?"

rolls:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:33 pm

Scrutiny Details:

"The Mangrave collection was once the prized possession of Locke Mangrave. He was one of Hass' oldest crew mates and a very potent psyker. As for me, I was assigned as his Curator, I helped him find these tomes of knowledge. Like the one you hold in your hands right now. I will warn that The Third Eye might be a bit much for any psyker that isn't Magnus The Red himself."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:41 pm

"Very well...I certainly appreciate the warning.'' Herschel reluctantly puts the book back on the shelf, though his gaze lingers on it.

With effort, he turns his attention back to the Curator.

"Well, would you be able to help me find any tomes that would be more fitting for a human psyker? I am quite practiced in channeling the energies of the warp, but I can imagine most any magick user would find something useful here."

Hershel fidgeted with the collar of his robe, his eyelid twitching. It was a lot to take in, this library of forbidden, esoteric knowledge, and his strange ticks were acting up as a result.

"Also...do you happen to have any knowledge of, or have any tomes regarding, a glass cave or cavern of crystals? Ring a bell, perhaps?" He tried to ask the question as casually as possible.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:51 pm

"Glass cave you say... why yes I do have a tome on that. Mangrave said it was already on this rock when Hass moved on to it. Found it in some settlement created by the previous Pirate Prince that once called this place home. Who ever wrote it was once a intelligent man but this glass cave pushed him into craziness."

The Curator combs through the collection and finds the book. A ragged old thing.

As the Curator passes it to Herschel he feels the sealed box in his robe start to vibrate intensely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:59 am

Herschel's eyes narrow and he licks his lips before pulling the cube out from his robes to observe it's behavior.

He turns a devilish grin toward the curator.

"You have any idea what's going on with this thing?"

Sent from Topic'it App

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:34 pm

"Seems the book and that box are attracted to one another." The Curator says. "I wonder if the box is mentioned in the book." The Curator wonders.

Herschel being ever curious opens the book and flips through the pages. He does find a section that talks about the box. One protected by psychic ciphers and one that can only be opened by a psyker. When opened the box is said to contain a shard from the cave of mirrors.

Last edited by Solodice on Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:38 am

"Curious...most curious indeed. Do you have any knowledge of the cave yourself?" Herschel eyes the curator quizzically.

note:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:22 pm

"Only rumors heard around these halls." Curator says in response to Herschel's question.

[Gain Forbidden Lore: Warp +10, Common Lore: The Ragged Helix, and psychic power Host of Fiends for free (Core. 214).]

Herschel loses himself in the book. He learns much from the tome... the warp, the Ragged Helix, a new power. At the end of the tome the author has clearly descended into madness but something about it is familiar. The note he found at the settlement reads much this this man does here in the tome.

[Edit. Additional Info. The author, his name is missing from the tome, talks about the cave of mirrors and how its mirrors are glimpses to other places across the Screaming Vortex. There are notes scribbled in the corners talking about how the mirrors might also be portals.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:19 am

Herschel is satisfied to glean some knowledge from the book, but also starts to feel restless to pursue his quest. He could happily spend hours upon hours diving into old tomes in this library, but at the end of the day he knows knowledge must be paired with action.

He snaps up from the seat as if cracked from a whip and scuttles out the door in search of other pskyers who may lend him their energy to help open the box.

Spoiler:

Shifting his mental energies toward the task of finding more psykers, Herschel strolls down the hallway. Reflecting the shift in his mental attitude, his psychic energy manifested itself by causing a light wind and breeze around him, guttering or extinguishing flames in wall-mounted lanterns. For his own pleasure, Herschel directed the winds at passerby, watching in amusement as their hair flew about or clothes flapped about their bodies.

"Bit chilly, isn't it!" He chuckled to one man who was struggling with an overcoat as he passed by. He hoped it was a convincing feint at ignorance and shock at the indoor winds.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Luckily for Herschel the Last Right has itself a nice cabal of psykers. Hass doesn't seem to mind who's on his ship as long as they do their job.

For whatever reason the cabal does not have a lair on Hunting Grounds. Either by Hass' orders or that of the cabal. They call the Last Right their home.

For the first time Herschel sets foot upon the heavily modified Lunar-class cruiser known as the Last Right. She is currently undergoing repairs and resupply before she ventures back out for a new hunt.

The cabal congregates at a bastardized Auto Temple. Instead of bringing the message of the Imperial Creed this Auto Temple brings the message of the Gods to this cabal's victims.

Upon entering Herschel's psychically created wind storm blows out candles and clouds of incense from his path. It also causes papers to scatter and for books to freely open and turn pages. It draws the ire of the cabal.

A cabal member stands. A blue robbed man with a cloth covering his eyes. Stylized bird eyes have been painted on where his reals eyes would be.

"The navigator graces us with his presence." The man says, "The last one didn't have a need for such low lives as he put it."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Herschel looks upon them in mild surprise.

"Please...call me Herschel." He puts on his best smile as he walks forward. "I kindly ask that you judge me on my own merits, as the last navigator...sounds like he was an arrogant prick. And a foolish one, too." He sighs, looking absent-mindedly about the room and forcing a frown. "It's a shame, isn't it? When others fail to recognize our talents for the wondrous gifts they are? I'm sure your role aboard this vessel is none less than essential, you should be respected for it."

charm test:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:14 pm

"Most see us a tools to exploit. We are powerful tools but we are much more then that and I see you understand that, Herschel."

The psyker steps forward.

"I see you are one with Tzeentch. There are others here who also worship the Lord of Change but Hass has seen it that we have others in our presence. So we have a few followers of Nurgle, Slaanesh, and one who seems to follow all the gods equally. You can call me Avalon and I welcome you to our cabal."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:40 pm

"Well met, Avalon." Herschel walked to meet the man and extended his hand.

"It is good that you have followers of different creeds and worshipers of various gods. There is strength in diversity, as I'm sure you're aware."

Herschel clears his throat, looking Avalon square in the eye.

"And who do you follow, Avalon? Which gods enjoy your patronage?"

Herschel studied the man carefully, barely controlling a twitch in his upper lip. A cabal of psykers...Herschel's mind was already running wild imagining the possibilities, if he could only convince them to do the bidding of the Architect of Fate. Avalon could be key to this endeavor. He sure was acting like an influential member of the group, if not the leader.

Herschel delighted in speaking with him, in charming him. It was like planting a seed in anticipation of watching a great oak grow from the earth. If everything went according to plan, he would be a puppet-master before long.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:31 pm

"The Lord of Change of course. He blessed me from a young age." He motions to the cloth covering his eyes, "What the fools of the Imperium saw as a curse, a mutant, Tzeentch saw as a gift. I might of been without my eyes but I saw the world as it truly was."

Avalon pauses, "What of you, Herschel? How did you fall under Tzeentch's many eyes?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:02 am

"I, too, have felt a kinship with Tzeentch since a young age. In fact, on many days I feel as if the warp may be my true home...he has blessed me with powerful psychic energy, and a strong will to be a catalyst for change. I am only happy to serve...."

Herschel tilts his head. "I wonder...would you be willing to assist a fellow follower of tzeentch? I require the aid of another psyker or two, and I'd feel better about working with those of our alignment. It's a simple matter, really, just need a bit more psychic energy. What say you?"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Solodice

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:08 pm

"That can be easily arranged. We'll meet you back on Hunting Grounds. Say the old navigator's quarters?"

Hershel agrees and makes his way back to Hass' estate and waits for the psykers in the place where he first found the box.

Avalon arrived with two other psykers. The markings on their robes establishing them as Tzeentch followers.

"Shall we begin?" Avalon asks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobarctor1977

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Herschel puts on a warm smile as they enter the room, standing and meeting them graciously.

"Thank you very much for coming here. Your assistance is much appreciated." Herschel pulls forth the box.

"I need your psychic energy to help me open this box..."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)   

Back to top Go down

Hunting Grounds (Islands of the Ragged Helix)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2